Sick To Be Called "Farang"

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Considering what some folks on this forum think,... we ARE white trash. Live with it or leave. I don't CARE what idiots think. Why should you? We will never be Thais so why should we worry about it.

• Like 2

They never call me farang or falang, people call me Khun Henry, or Khun if they don't know my name.

And my family call me Khun henry, lung henry, or just Ta. And when people ask where I come from I simply answer Nonthaburi,55555

is 55555 your postcode? :)

• Like 2

Well as I am actually a woman, I think it is better then being called Mister..which is quite often. Or Kwai and Kee Nok which is what men are often called.

Sometimes I can get a bit tired of it and retort with KON THAI! KON THAI! back at the KON Thai who is making a point of identifying me as a foreigner. If you are a man and were always called Miss you might find Falang a better alternative.

Never been called kee nok (bird poop) or Kwai (buffalo) - to my face at least. I think I would have a somewhat strong reaction to that! Like you though sometimes I get fed up with being called 'farang', especially when they know my name - I don't say "Khon Thai" back as they didn't say "Khon Ungrit", I say "Khon Asean" back. Completely confuses them. Generally though, it doesn';t affect me in the slightest - I even have a T-Shirt with it on (Black with white lettering in both Latin and Thai scripts - bought from TV back in 2003) that gets a chuckle from the Thais.

farang mean for me f... white trash!

and you do u like to be called a farang or falang?

Kiee Nok would be a closer translation to White Trash (Thinking about it, the contextual meaning is almost exactly the same)

but yeah, I don't mind if people who don't know me call me farang. It's fair enough, they don't know me and my ethnicity is a pretty distinguishing visual feature which will specifically get my attention (As opposed to just saying "Khun Khun!!" which might have half the neighbourhood thinking someone is talking to them). Even if they say said "Kon Yai" or "Kon Uuan" it wouldn't be as specific to me since there's more big guys in Thailand, than what there are farang, and calling me big/fat would be (to me at least) more offensive than farang (Although after living here for a big, I've got a reasonably thick skin to it lol).

With anyone who knows me, they usually call me Ajarn, or by my name

The only times I get called farang is by young kids, sometimes by teenages, I sometimes get 'hey you' or just 'you, you', but I mostly get khun or khun Tom. I have been called farang kee nok (poor farang), but the term farang does not bother me, its just a generic tetm for foreigners of european origin, same as we use the generic term asian for all people of asian origin, even if they were born in our own countries.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Well as I am actually a woman, I think it is better then being called Mister..which is quite often. Or Kwai and Kee Nok which is what men are often called.

Sometimes I can get a bit tired of it and retort with KON THAI! KON THAI! back at the KON Thai who is making a point of identifying me as a foreigner. If you are a man and were always called Miss you might find Falang a better alternative.

Is it that you look like a man, or is it that Thais translate the Mister to Khun and don't figure out that it is for men only?

(I am male and had long hair and got 10 times per day asked if I am a Farang Kattoy. ---> no I have short hair)

Simply correct them every time. Say I am not a ******, I am a f hyphen rang. (F-rangTM). If we all did this every time, the odious practice of calling us ****** would be wiped out in a year.

Edited by Jingthing

you do u like to be called a farang or falang?

i hate it! it bothers me nearly as much as a bag of rice toppling over in a Northern Manchuria warehouse or the low average temperatures at the South Pole.

Am just joking about it... calling myself Sa-wit Falang... then usually they ask for my name (if they care) and from there ist Khun xxx. Personally, I find "Mister" equally bad...

they don't call me falang or farang.. They call me hansum!

You have the same name as me. giggle.gif I also go by the names cheap charlie or darkling. It depends on who i'm with or what i've been doing. giggle.gif

"Ajarn" ... the honorific.

cheesy.gif Ajarn an honorific . . .

Ah. Sorry. Yes, I guess it is . . . The title, not the person

I think it is stupid when people who know you refer to you as falang - almost as stupid as westerners referring to themselves as such

Edited by Sing_Sling