Sick To Be Called "Farang"

Considering what some folks on this forum think,... we ARE white trash. Live with it or leave. I don't CARE what idiots think. Why should you? We will never be Thais so why should we worry about it.

Speak for yourself, Farang or Falong just means your from someplace else like Haole in Hawaii also means from someplace else, keep in mind it does not matter where one comes from, it does not matter where ones at, what matters is where one is coming from on the inside, if one was white trash where they came from and brought themselves with them, then they are white trash here.

By the way, all Farang's, Falong's are not white, just from someplace else, I'm 100% Farang or Falong and I have never been nor will ever be white trash, you should care what others think, after all we are all in this neighborhood together Farang or Falong, better to not post and people won't know how not nice you are, opposed to posting and letting us all know.

Have a great day, try smiling, shaking a hand and giving back to Mother Earth, I'm sure your attitude will change.

• Like 1

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After living here for a number of years what Thai's say or do does not bother me...trust me life is a lot easier that way....

Well said, all these Farang's or Falong's keep trying to start stink, they need to get over themselves, Thai's are Thai's, Farang's or Falong's are from someplace other then Thailand, the only problem is the Farang or Falong, keep trying to correct or change, whem in Rome, cha,cha,cha.

• Like 1

Going on some of these comments, some of you should really just be happy that they even speak to you.

Loong, loong lang, falang, farang, hey you... whatever. it doesn't really matter.

The nearest most of the locals get to pronouncing my name properly is 'Pearl'. That's fine. It's close enough. We know who they mean.

It worse for them - if I can't remember the name, I have to describe them... :-)

if this goes true to form, that will be enough to close it.

Edited by pgs

The first few years, I did not care that much, but lately, I have started to actually really dislike it to the point where I stopped using it myself, if the thais really need to differentiate themselves, its better to just use foreigner as in non-thai.

me - did you talk to the customer today?

thai - yeah, he was a falang

me . ah, you mean foreigner

thai - yeah

farang mean for me f... white trash!

and you do u like to be called a farang or falang?

Kiee Nok would be a closer translation to White Trash (Thinking about it, the contextual meaning is almost exactly the same)

but yeah, I don't mind if people who don't know me call me farang. It's fair enough, they don't know me and my ethnicity is a pretty distinguishing visual feature which will specifically get my attention (As opposed to just saying "Khun Khun!!" which might have half the neighbourhood thinking someone is talking to them). Even if they say said "Kon Yai" or "Kon Uuan" it wouldn't be as specific to me since there's more big guys in Thailand, than what there are farang, and calling me big/fat would be (to me at least) more offensive than farang (Although after living here for a big, I've got a reasonably thick skin to it lol).

With anyone who knows me, they usually call me Ajarn, or by my name

Farang = Baa see daa = guava

kee = $hit

nok = bird

To me and from thai family and friends this is not a nice thing. It is used often, but the vast majority of the time is out of farang ear shot.

If some one (outside yr family and very close friends) calls you a farang kee nok trust me this is an insult.

• Like 1

For me "living the dream" in Thailand. Oh yea baby! They can call me whatever they like. Water on a ducks back I say.

They can love me or hate me it doesn't change my love living here.

• Like 1

Kiee Nok would be a closer translation to White Trash (Thinking about it, the contextual meaning is almost exactly the same)

but yeah, I don't mind if people who don't know me call me farang. It's fair enough, they don't know me and my ethnicity is a pretty distinguishing visual feature which will specifically get my attention (As opposed to just saying "Khun Khun!!" which might have half the neighbourhood thinking someone is talking to them). Even if they say said "Kon Yai" or "Kon Uuan" it wouldn't be as specific to me since there's more big guys in Thailand, than what there are farang, and calling me big/fat would be (to me at least) more offensive than farang (Although after living here for a big, I've got a reasonably thick skin to it lol).

kee = $hit

nok = bird

To me and from thai family and friends this is not a nice thing. It is used often, but the vast majority of the time is out of farang ear shot.

If some one (outside yr family and very close friends) calls you a farang kee nok trust me this is an insult.

I would have to strongly disagree with you on this. What did the folks in the USA call black people, mexicans, asians and on and on same with the folks in Europe. Now us Farangs know what it feels like. Thai need to trip over themselves to show me/us Farangs respect. Give me break will ya?

• Like 1

Muslims find everything thats not muslim racist and offensive.

What's the Thai term for 'retard'?

kon-bpan-yaa-oon

Both start with a 'K' . . . apt. Thanks, SB

Now us Farangs ....

Groan . . . blubbbbb.gifUs farangs? blubbbbb.gif

Edited by Sing_Sling

kee = $hit

nok = bird

I would have to strongly disagree with you on this. What did the folks in the USA call black people, mexicans, asians and on and on same with the folks in Europe. Now us Farangs know what it feels like. Thai need to trip over themselves to show me/us Farangs respect. Give me break will ya?

Are you trying to say that because Americans/Europeans have been racist in the past, it is now OK for people to be racist toward them?

• Like 1

kee = $hit

nok = bird

Yep. What ever that means. Anyway up to yooooooooo.

The word Farang/Falang is not derogatory by no means unless to don't like being called a French person.....it comes from when the French were running Vietnam, they came from Farance (France) but as the Asians can't pronounce "ce" on the end of words it became Farang. When the French crossed the border to Thailand it caught on and it was easier to call all foreigners Farang so we all became Farangs.

Farang majaak Farance/America/England etc....Translated..foreigner (Farang it's new meaning) comes from (country)

I wouldn't worry too much about being called a farang, we are called a lot worse behind closed doors....but hey! It's the "Land Of Smiles" and it doesn't cost much to get a smile.

I'll die in Thailand a Falang and a happy man.......CHEERS!

Considering what some folks on this forum think,... we ARE white trash. Live with it or leave. I don't CARE what idiots think. Why should you? We will never be Thais so why should we worry about it.

Speak for yourself, Farang or Falong just means your from someplace else like Haole in Hawaii also means from someplace else, keep in mind it does not matter where one comes from, it does not matter where ones at, what matters is where one is coming from on the inside, if one was white trash where they came from and brought themselves with them, then they are white trash here.

By the way, all Farang's, Falong's are not white, just from someplace else, I'm 100% Farang or Falong and I have never been nor will ever be white trash, you should care what others think, after all we are all in this neighborhood together Farang or Falong, better to not post and people won't know how not nice you are, opposed to posting and letting us all know.

Have a great day, try smiling, shaking a hand and giving back to Mother Earth, I'm sure your attitude will change.

I didn't mean what the Thais call us. They can call us anything they want either fair or foul. I meant what the mods and other members on this forum think of us. That is why so many get their knickers in a knot.

So all in all, How Many identifying Thai Terms are there for people from OTHER Countries? Just farang ? I thought farang= frog......this sense of judgement is primitive and exotic It seems.....ever been called B'wana or KE-MO-SHAA-BE ???

I didn't mean what the Thais call us. They can call us anything they want either fair or foul. I meant what the mods and other members on this forum think of us. That is why so many get their knickers in a knot.

I stand corrected, sorry about that, cha,cha,cha.

Muslims find everything thats not muslim racist and offensive.

What's the Thai term for 'retard'?

Goombah. A thin skinned man who lets anything, and everything bother him. The opposite of "water of a ducks back". A constipated man, who is doing everything he can to make sure his life is not fulfilling.

• Like 1

i used to think that farang is not a racist term, its just a thai word for white foreigner.

after staying in thailand for years, ive come to conclusion that it is actually a racist term and i dont like to be called that.

It just means "foreigner" dude. And like other posters have said, I've never had anyone call me "farang" to my face. But it does come up in conversations. Sometimes I'm being talked about, sometimes someone else. It just means pasty white, foreigner.

Yeah, Thais are xenophobic, but don't take the "tag" too personal. At least when I'm in my wife's village and someone says, "farang" I know who they are talking about - being the only "farang" in the village.

Being indignant won't change a thing. Accept it and move on -- Farang. jap.gif

Edited by connda

Really, it's the tone of voice that means everything, just like the usage of the English word "foreigner." I could be very offended at "foreigner" if used in a spiteful tone, but would not be offended when used in a neutral tone.

Same with the Thai word "farang."

I always get a kick out of being in a public market here in rural Isaan when a toddler shakes his mom's skirts, pointing at me, and shouting "FARANG!" I always acknowledge it with a return pointing finger and a "Kohn Isaan!." to the delight of passers-by. The wide-eyed kid retreats behind mom's skirts while mom gets a laugh out of it.

But, when I failed a 50-year old candidate for a college director job because his English was negligible (fluent English was a requirement for the job), he stormed out of the room muttering "farang" under his breath. Now that was different. dry.png

Good post on two counts.cowboy.gif

Well I never....I have been able to speak Thai for decades then.

SS...looking in the mirror repeating 'goombah'...Holla Goombah...

SS as in SamSiam . . . that's refreshingly self-effacing of you applaus.gif

Edited by Sing_Sling