Sick To Be Called "Farang"

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please learn how to speak Thai before looking down on the Thai language..

Technically, "Farang" is a 'loanword' and not part of Thai language.

Yes it is a Thai word. Falang is the Thai word for guava. In Issan it is "muk si dah" and the word for "Mr" is "buk" so they call us "buk si dah" or "Mr Guava" the cheeky buggers. Some falang think it means foreign cause it sounds like it but the Thais are calling us Guava cause our skins pink. Edited by krisb

In England are those with non-English blood referred to as foreigners?

Can you define 'non-English blood' given that there's no such race as the 'English'? Or are you talking about those nasty darkies with brown skin?

Yes it is a Thai word. Falang is the Thai word for guava. In Issan it is "muk si dah" and the word for "Mr" is "buk" so they call us "buk si dah" or "Mr Guava" the cheeky buggers.

You live in their country and you call them cheeky buggers? cheesy.gif

What I love about Thailand, amongst other things, is that it forces those who whine about immigration in their own country to embrace the fact that they are immigrants and outsiders in Thailand. It's wonderful to see them wriggle and squirm to justify their parochialism in a foreign country while bleating about immigration in a place they've left behind cheesy.gif

• Like 1

ummm, i'm a loss here to understand what that word farang / falang means

ive been to thailand more then two time and noone every say this word to me

is it good word ?

It means "guava". It is describing our skin color as pink. Its an old old old joke. Next time your in a Thai market go to the fruit section, pick up a guava and say with a smile on your face " tao rai falang" 555555555555

Yes it is a Thai word. Falang is the Thai word for guava. In Issan it is "muk si dah" and the word for "Mr" is "buk" so they call us "buk si dah" or "Mr Guava" the cheeky buggers.

You live in their country and you call them cheeky buggers? cheesy.gif

Yep!! Thais are cheeky. Its their nature. I dont live in Thailand. I live in Australia and plenty Thais etc live here. Why you assume I live there???? Dont jump to conclusions without facts first.mfr_closed1.gif

They never call me farang or falang, people call me Khun Henry, or Khun if they don't know my name.

And my family call me Khun henry, lung henry, or just Ta. And when people ask where I come from I simply answer Nonthaburi,55555

is 55555 your postcode? smile.png

I hope not we have a house in Nonthaburi too, post code 10000 although this may explain slow mail delivery 55555.

Honestly a lot a halabulu about nothing its like <deleted>, pom, spic etc some people take offense and I believe that relates to how the word is delivered.

The only time I hear farang is indirect conversation and they (the Thai) are referring to you - what else should they call you - they do not know where you come from - USA, UK, NZ, OZ, Europe???

In SVN many years ago we were referred to as UcDaiLoi (meaning from the south I believe) - another reference was "cheap Charlie - quite correct too.

Now with all of this think of the poor old Papua New Guinean - they come in all sizes and shades of brown to black and it is well known varying rates of IQ - the central highlands is home to one group (tribe) the Chimbu who are not renowned as being the sharpest pencils in the box and it was common to hear someone who had done something stupid referred to as a Chimbu (get the picture)

Now for the punch line - I lived in this country (PNG) for 3 great years and it was not uncommon to hear one PNG national refer to another PNG national as a Chimbu when the offender had done something stupid. Our black CSM (a Tolai) would often say this information does not apply to you white fellas and if any you black fellas want to act like Chimbues see me after the parade.

I like the earlier poster who stated call me what you like as long its not late for dinner.cowboy.gif

Edited by mijan24

In England are those with non-English blood referred to as foreigners?

Can you define 'non-English blood' given that there's no such race as the 'English'? Or are you talking about those nasty darkies with brown skin?

statement made in response to silly post by ulysses, don't take it out of context. Thais are not a race either.

I don't think that Kak or Kaek refers to Muslims, but rather foreigners from SE Asia. Also means guest/visitor

แขก

http://www.thai-language.com/id/133597

Both above critiques on my definition of the word KAK NOT being about muslims is incorrect. Its a racist generalisation thai's make about anyone who looks like a middle easterner or souther european and its just a racist assumption about there RELIGION based on there appearance! KAK ' when directed at islamic people (Or those with dark skin, hair and long noses) in thai means= แขก ในภาษาโบราณของไทย which is very racist according to ANY of the over 1 million Thai's of the islamic faith in Thailand. SO the ignorant comments above show an obvious lack of education in the Thai language and culture of many people posting here. The word farang is the least offensive when compared to how other ethnic groups are labeled, so most of u need to stop crying and go learn to speak some thai with REAL Thai people, not on Soi Cowboy...

• Like 1

I don't think that Kak or Kaek refers to Muslims, but rather foreigners from SE Asia. Also means guest/visitor

แขก

Both above critiques on my definition of the word KAK NOT being about muslims is incorrect. Its a racist generalisation thai's make about anyone who looks like a middle easterner or souther european and its just a racist assumption about there RELIGION based on there appearance! KAK ' when directed at islamic people (Or those with dark skin, hair and long noses) in thai means= แขก ในภาษาโบราณของไทย which is very racist according to ANY of the over 1 million Thai's of the islamic faith in Thailand. SO the ignorant comments above show an obvious lack of education in the Thai language and culture of many people posting here. The word farang is the least offensive when compared to how other ethnic groups are labeled, so most of u need to stop crying and go learn to speak some thai with REAL Thai people, not on Soi Cowboy...

coffee1.gif you really do need to go and get a life. Does it really matter? No one can "make" you upset, you chose to be upset by what someone says. This whole topic has been done to death over the years on Thai Visa, and just goes back in circles. BTW, what is a Real Thai person? I'm pretty sure there are real Thai people in Soi Cowboy, just as there are in Siam Paragon.

• Like 1

Fareng simply means Westerner. It does not apply to other Asians. Only to Westerners, who look different than Thais, or other Asians. I do not consider it derogatory, though some may intend it that way. It is a reference to "outsiders", but even if you lived in Thailand your whole life, you are always going to be an outsider. To me, it means very little. I run into a lot of very kind hearted, warm Thais, and the fareng reference has something to do with the fact that Thailand was never colonized, and we are very foreign to them.

It's been said already, the term "farung" is neutral and stands for foreigner/non-asian. Those who know me call me by my name or nickname, those who don't know me, are free to call me "farung". When I get to talk to strangers, I always refer myself as "farung", since I don't want every stranger to know my name.

So no reason to be bothered, fellow farungs, grab a farung fruit and enjoy your Sunday!

Farang just means white caucasian foreigner, you are very thin-skinned if you don't like being called a foreigner, that is what you are, I bet you called people from other countries with different coloured skin in your own country foreigners, lighten up mate, get a life, I often call myself a Farang, I tell them I am a good Farang you will like me.

Really, it's the tone of voice that means everything, just like the usage of the English word "foreigner." I could be very offended at "foreigner" if used in a spiteful tone, but would not be offended when used in a neutral tone.

Same with the Thai word "farang."

I always get a kick out of being in a public market here in rural Isaan when a toddler shakes his mom's skirts, pointing at me, and shouting "FARANG!" I always acknowledge it with a return pointing finger and a "Kohn Isaan!." to the delight of passers-by. The wide-eyed kid retreats behind mom's skirts while mom gets a laugh out of it.

But, when I failed a 50-year old candidate for a college director job because his English was negligible (fluent English was a requirement for the job), he stormed out of the room muttering "farang" under his breath. Now that was different. dry.png

It's been said already, the term "farung" is neutral and stands for foreigner/non-asian. Those who know me call me by my name or nickname, those who don't know me, are free to call me "farung". When I get to talk to strangers, I always refer myself as "farung", since I don't want every stranger to know my name.

So no reason to be bothered, fellow farungs, grab a farung fruit and enjoy your Sunday!

What's a "farung"?

With anyone who knows me, they usually call me Ajarn, or by my name

Actually hearing someone being called "Farang" bothers me FAR less than listening to some spotty faced Khao San Visa runner insisting that he be addressed as "Ajarn" simply because he teaches English for a few hundred Baht an hour.

A total misuse of the honorific.

Patrick

i have been working in the engineering field in Thailand for over 30 years and i don't want anyone calling me Ajarn.

since i have seen very "clever" designs not working,--- done by so called Ajarns.

It's already been said, it's simply a term for noting our European ethnicity. I'm American, and it used to bother me, too, until I realized it is we who have been over-sensitized to our ethnic differences. It may be impolite or even hostile in our home countries to point out others' ethnicity so bluntly, but it's not here. As others have said, "Get used to it." They mean no harm, and in the context of their culture, it's not a big deal, just a convenient handle to use when one of us passes by. Are they insensitive? Only when you view it in terms of Western culture, which remains irrelevant here.

I write with 35 years of travel here, including work in the Northeast, North Central and Central parts of Thailand. I have been referred to as "farang" (being the only one) in business meetings and classrooms, and learned to take it in stride. My best advice, embrace the term, like the guy with the T-shirt, and wear it with pride.

แขก

Muslims find everything thats not muslim racist and offensive. Kaek means a visitor or friend. If a mate of yours drops round your place for a beer or whatever then he/she is a kaek. It means friend/visitor
  • Like 1

I am coming to Thailand since 35 Years. Everybody wich dont know me call me Farrang. it means only a wite, American Person (from the GI's) witch speak English. That's all. It's not a Bad Word. When they know me they call me Khun Pitää. Lung or Daa, some call me Pii, it's how old there self and how they think about me. If hey call you Farang Kii Nok, so i think they have a reason why... Kii Nok Translated is Bird Shit, the meaning of this is a Tschiep-Charly...

I am coming to Thailand since 35 Years. Everybody wich dont know me call me Farrang. it means only a wite, American Person (from the GI's) witch speak English. That's all. It's not a Bad Word. When they know me they call me Khun Pitää. Lung or Daa, some call me Pii, it's how old there self and how they think about me. If hey call you Farang Kii Nok, so i think they have a reason why... Kii Nok Translated is Bird Shit, the meaning of this is a Tschiep-Charly...

Slightly misconstrued if you believe Thai Language.com

ฝรั่งขี้นกphr_link.gifspeaker_sm.gif faL rangL kheeF nohkH [showing disapproval] a Thai follower of European of American customs; a Thai who puts on airs as if he or she was a Westerner; a Thai who apes Westerners