Sick To Be Called "Farang"

i suggest a poll "Is it derogatory if Asian people call themselves Orientals in the U.S.A.?"

multiple choice allowed!

<snip>

O Furlong

<snip>

OK, now you're going too far!

sorry.gif

Patrick

9 pages and 209 posts is going too far ! :)

• Like 1

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In general, we are not talking about friends calling people Farang or Asian or whatever. We are talking about strangers who do not know what country you are from.

But if you were living in New York City, and you constantly came in contact with "asian" people, not only on the streets, but your friends started to date some, maybe you got interested in asian cultures, watch Japanese Manga, or Korean movies, you would, even though you were not close friends to them, realize that describing them simply as asians, would not´, for the mots part, be satisfying enough. You would HAVE to soon ask about the nationality, instead of just saying asians, as your knowledge had become much more deep. Thais, especially in the tourist areas have been familiar with white skinned people for at least 20 years, but still they just call as farangs.

I lived in San Francisco for many years and there are all kinds of Asians around. How could you go around and ask them all where they were from? blink.png

In general, we are not talking about friends calling people Farang or Asian or whatever. We are talking about strangers who do not know what country you are from.

But if you were living in New York City, and you constantly came in contact with "asian" people, not only on the streets, but your friends started to date some, maybe you got interested in asian cultures, watch Japanese Manga, or Korean movies, you would, even though you were not close friends to them, realize that describing them simply as asians, would not´, for the mots part, be satisfying enough. You would HAVE to soon ask about the nationality, instead of just saying asians, as your knowledge had become much more deep. Thais, especially in the tourist areas have been familiar with white skinned people for at least 20 years, but still they just call as farangs.

I lived in San Francisco for many years and there are all kinds of Asians around. How could you go around and ask them all where they were from? blink.png

You can't tell the difference between a Korean and a Chinese? Japanese and Thai? Indian and Filipino? Malay and Lao? Papuan and Burmese? Vietnamese and Bangla Deshi?

But the difference is, did you ever date an asian? Did you have many friends who dated some of them, did you watch some of the asian movies, or listened to some of the music? Did you ever invite some of them to your parties?

Probably no.

BUT if you had, and you still would just feel satisfied by describing them as "asians", I would think you would be a little ignorant.

If you start to talk to them, and learn about their specific country, you would very soon realize it is a huge difference between different asian countries.

If your girlfriend where Korean, you would automatically learn at least a little bit about her culture and country.

And let say, your sister invited a whole bunch of burmese farmers to her party (which would of course never happen but anyway) and she said, the asians could hardly read, you would not be satisfied by that, you would automatically ask, what nationality where they? as you know your korean girlfriend, comes from korea, not Burma, and it is a huge difference between these countries.

Edited by ayayay
  • Like 1

But the difference is, did you ever date an asian? Did you have many friends who dated some of them, did you watch some of the asian movies, or listened to some of the music? Did you ever invite some of them to your parties?

Probably no.

Wrong. I had lots of Asian friends and a Filipino-American girlfriend. I studied Japanese and Korean martial arts and ate all kinds of Asian food and went to Asian movies. I still called them Asians as a group.

If you are being reffered to as farang it probably means that you are acting like one. Not a bad thing to behave like a farang, but not something to be encouraged if you are thinking about living here the long haul. Garner respect from the locals and they stop calling you farang and replace it with one of their own terms.

Erm, "farang" is one of their own terms. How can you be "acting like a farang"? Please explain. Its a colour grouping, pure and simple. Thais do not call black people farang, they do not call middle eastern looking (even mediteranian looking) people farang - only white people - where ever they originate from. Kids of mixed race are often called farang-noi (also look kreung) due to their light skin and half white ancestry.

Let's not be mistaken it is a racial term even if it is not understood to be by the user to be (maybe somewhat akin to the use of terms such as negro in the past was not always meant with aggression, but as a grouping term - still a racial one though).

As I said above it does not bother me very often unless the intent is to offend, but that does not take away the underlying context.

Actually they do call black people farang too. In fact only the other white farang on my moobaan corrects them and says he's not a farang, and farang means white skin. He can be quite anal about it in a, I'm the only farang in the village, little Britain style to the point where when Thais say the other farang he says what other farang!

We only have 2 non Thais on our moobaan and we both live in corner houses - I'm told I'm known as the black skin guy, wife's name husband or kid's name father as hardly anyone knows my name. Don't see why I should take offense at a designation for the purpose of clarity.

Edited by 2unique

Not necessarily, when I first came here it was assumed I came from Africa, 5 years later this was challenged and some Thais said, I think you come from America whereas now when I say London, I no longer get jing ror! England have chocolate man!!

Also in many bars the girls will say, your friend Australia (or other nationality) man come here yesterday (for example) . So we are seeing change and usage of nationality when known above the generic farang.And for anyone who claiming westerners are more racist than Asians.... I'd say highly doubtful. Considering Japan is still a part of Asia I'd go with no side has a monopoly on it.

Edited by 2unique

As always, its down to the individual.

Personally, I have never been addressed as farang to my face or had it shouted at me. If someone (that doesn't know me) wants to attract my attention - they shout madam.

However, I dislike it as I hear it too many times in the 'background'. Why on earth would they be talking about me? I'm hardly a novelty on Phuket....

Having said this, I accept that most of the time it is just a cultural thing and farang means foreigner.

However... we (or many of us) find this rude as it is rude in our home countries to refer to someone (in hearing distance) as a foreigner. We go to comical lengths to say 'that person over there'.biggrin.png

As long as its not 'to your face' or obviously said in such a way that its clear it is meant in a derogatory way - forget it.

You can't tell the difference between a Korean and a Chinese? Japanese and Thai? Indian and Filipino? Malay and Lao? Papuan and Burmese? Vietnamese and Bangla Deshi?

I disagree. Chinese and Korean perhaps not although Chinese are easliy spotted, but Japanese are easy to tell, Indian are easy. Papuan are easy, Vietnamese arent hard and Bangla Deshi look same as Indian.

I always wondered where the actress Lucy Liu is from...she sure is attractive...d'ye reckon that she's married to a falang?

(to illustrate one of the many uses of the 'f-word'...)

She's Chinese, ethnic background . . . no idea if she is married, Yahoo is your friend (hate Google)

I always wondered where the actress Lucy Liu is from...she sure is attractive...d'ye reckon that she's married to a falang?

(to illustrate one of the many uses of the 'f-word'...)

She's Chinese, ethnic background . . . no idea if she is married, Yahoo is your friend (hate Google)

ahem...(missed it...unless I missed the irony?...that's it! I should have been alerted by the yahoo! reference...curses...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

They never call me farang or falang, people call me Khun Henry, or Khun if they don't know my name.

And my family call me Khun henry, lung henry, or just Ta. And when people ask where I come from I simply answer Nonthaburi,55555

While I do believe your family shows you the proper respect, the others simply never call you farang to your face.

Farang is what they called Frenchmen when they first came here. Over the years it just came to identify any Caucasian in Thailand.

Don't know why you're making it into some big deal. Obviously never been in a remote village. I was always being talked about, as I heard "farang" a lot. Didn't worry me at all.

Wrong. I had lots of Asian friends and a Filipino-American girlfriend. I studied Japanese and Korean martial arts and ate all kinds of Asian food and went to Asian movies. I still called them Asians as a group.

Filipino american girlfriend, let me assume she grew up in the US? How often were you exposed to filipino culture?

Were you really friends with a lot of people from asia, that were not americans, that did not grow up in the US? Because if they grew up in the US, or even were americans, chances are, their original non american identity would be too blended up with american culture, and therefore difficult for you to see.

If you were exposed to a lot of filipino culture, really had a lot of good friends that were not asian americans, but indeed were non asian immigrants, and still you would always call your friends, just asian, without paying any attention to the actual differences in the different nationalities, then yes, you would be quite ignorant.

Edited by ayayay

If you were exposed to a lot of filipino culture, really had a lot of good friends that were not asian americans, but indeed were non asian immigrants, and still you would always call your friends, just asian

We are not talking about specific people. We are talking about a group and a group of Japanese, Korean, Thai and Chinese people can be called Asian without any insult.