Certificate Of Residence

Hello everyone! jap.gif

I am a US Citizen living here in Bangkok. I need to get a Certificate of Residence in order to apply for my Thai driver's license. I plan on going to the US Embassy here in Bangkok for this.

These should be some relatively easy questions to answer for any veterans here who have gone to the US Embassy here in Bangkok for this particular document.

1) Is there a "standard" form the US Embassy uses for this? I would assume so, but just want to make sure. Does anyone know where I can find an example of what the form looks like? Is it in reality, a Letter from the US Embassy? What does the US Embassy issue? The Cerificate of Residence or is it Letter from the US Embassy? th_think2.gif I'm mixed up on the title of the document I will be getting at the US Embassy. crazy.gif

2) Is the Cerificate of Residence or Letter from the US Emabassy notarized? th_think2.gif

3) Other than my current USA Passport and Thai Non-Immigrant Visa (retirement,) do I need to bring my current apartment lease evidencing I do indeed live here in Bangkok?

4) Do I need to be registered with the US Embassy in order to get this document? th_think2.gif

5) What is the total cost of getting this document? th_think2.gif

I just want to make sure I know everything about this subject before I make an on-line appointment with the US Emdassy for "notarial or other services."

Thanks to anyone who's gone this route willing to take a moment to answer my questions. I appreciate it greatly! th_an_cheers.gif?t=1318072024

Have not done but a quick look at website indicates:

1. http://bangkok.usemb...k_affidavit.pdf

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/driverslicense.pdf

2. Yes

3. You are responsible for filling out form and you sign it. Do not believe Embassy is interested in other paperwork.

4. No. But if living here it would be a good idea.

5. $50 or about 1,500 baht I believe.

Have not done but a quick look at website indicates:

1. http://bangkok.usemb...k_affidavit.pdf

http://bangkok.usemb...verslicense.pdf

2. Yes

3. You are responsible for filling out form and you sign it. Do not believe Embassy is interested in other paperwork.

4. No. But if living here it would be a good idea.

5. $50 or about 1,500 baht I believe.

Lopburi, you are simply DA BOMB! th_an_boggienight.gif

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my "newbie like" questions! th_an_clap.gif

As with the income affidavit, the Residence Certificate isn't. It's merely an affidavit, sworn before a Consular officer. They in no way certify anything, except your identity (by seeing your passport). It is accepted by the Thai Department of Land Transportation for getting a driver's licence or registering a vehicle in your name. $50 for EACH affidavit, and you must have the original for the licence, and another one for the car registration.

Note that if you're here on any one-year extension, or an O-A visa, and have already done a 90-day report, Immigration is supposed to give you the Certificate of Residence for free. In practice, some offices do, and others charge a nominal fee. For some reason, Chaeng Wattana has only one officer who can/will do it, and she has an attitude. She asks for 100 baht (for 'postage'), and says it takes three weeks. I got mine back in FIVE weeks, with a 37 baht EMS stamp on it - and, of course, no change.

As with the income affidavit, the Residence Certificate isn't. It's merely an affidavit, sworn before a Consular officer. They in no way certify anything, except your identity (by seeing your passport). It is accepted by the Thai Department of Land Transportation for getting a driver's licence or registering a vehicle in your name. $50 for EACH affidavit, and you must have the original for the licence, and another one for the car registration.

Note that if you're here on any one-year extension, or an O-A visa, and have already done a 90-day report, Immigration is supposed to give you the Certificate of Residence for free. In practice, some offices do, and others charge a nominal fee. For some reason, Chaeng Wattana has only one officer who can/will do it, and she has an attitude. She asks for 100 baht (for 'postage'), and says it takes three weeks. I got mine back in FIVE weeks, with a 37 baht EMS stamp on it - and, of course, no change.

Thank you very much for chiming in on this topic. You have been very helpful to me and perhaps others who could use this knowledge! th_smileys-drinking-beer.gif?t=1321588787

Edited by MikeOKitches
  • Like 1