I Need A Cheap Place To Stay. Really, Really Cheap.

finy

Hi again, guys and gals.

I made a post about 6 months ago asking about starting an Internet business to make money to live in Thailand. Anyway, I'm bringing in a small amount per month and I've just sold one of my sites for a few grand. I can even write articles freelance style for extra cash.

Now I don't know how long I can last here in Britain. It's too cold and I wanna come back.

Anyway, I reckon I have the funds to maybe last for about 6 months. Hopefully I'll start earning good wedge then, and if not, I'll get my sorry ass back on that plane and make use of my return ticket.

The thing is, I want somewhere really cheap to stay. All I care about is making my business successful and I'll be working on it 16 hours per day. All I want is a beautiful tropical country and some good cheap food I don't have to cook. I'm already living a frugal life as it is.

I need somewhere that has very cheap, basic accommodation. I'm talking 5000 max, but I'd do cheaper. Even 2-3000 if it's somewhere out there. Maybe some food places that will be 25bt. Somewhere I can walk around or use a push bike. Limited entertainment. Don't have a use for bar girls so it can be somewhere out there.

I've been to Chiang Mai a lot and I know that I could live there cheap. I'd rather have cheaper if possible. Like I say, I'm just going to be going bang-ho with the business for 6 months.

I don't want an ethical discussion about working visas. I'm going to get a student visa and study Thai. I know I shouldn't be working without the proper visa, but hey, don't judge me. You know how great it is there.

Thanks very much.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finy, go for it, admire your enthusiasm and biggest thing to remember is that if you do make it out and it doesn't all work out then thats far better than wondering for the rest of your life.. what would have happened if I had of just had the guts to give it a go.

Ok on subject.. cheapest Ive seen in Chiang mai unless you want to out out in the villages etc.

However you need dam_n solid internet connectivity etc.

I've just rented a one BR condo in CM ( i have nice apartment in BKK) but needed it as Im up there on my motorbikes all the time.

I did while looking around see a few places on internet where students live in houses etc and rooms available for 2000/ month. If you can handle sharing then this may be a good way to cut rent plus share bills.

Closer to bangkok you might be able to pick up something in Sri Racha or down that way but definitely will find it hard to scoop a low price rental down pattaya/ jomtiem.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you... Im sure it will

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, Monty.

I completely agree. I must give it a shot.

It doesn't need to be Bangkok or Chiang Mai. I'd be perfectly happy anywhere, such as Chiang Rai, North-East etc.

As you say, I do need to have a good internet connection. It will make life a lot easier. Maybe it's best sticking to Chaing Mai.

Hi Finy.

Sounds like the beginning of an excellent adventure.

Enjoy.

There are cheap rooms everywhere in Thailand. You can get one in BKK for 2-3k, or In the middle of nowhere maybe 500 -1k.

If your heavily internet reliant and you want to live on a beach - it's about fifteen quid a month for unlimited mobile internet.

Good luck with your venture.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rudie.

Great tip on the mobile Internet. I don't mind waiting till I'm making more money to hit the beach.

I do like the idea of 2-3k room. As far as other costs, maybe I'll stay away from Bkk. I wonder if places like Ubon Ratchethani has OK Internet.

I know a surprisingly dirt cheap place in soi kopai, Pattaya, yet the building is rather new and the room is both big and nice looking with a normal toilet for 2500-3000 baht, i could even live there myself.

It does not have air con but otherwise is simply a very nice place, only question would be if any room available at your arrival.

Anyway Pattaya is very cheap in general

Edited by poanoi

The internet is iffy even in BKK. Anywhere (almost) you decide to plot up will have a local (hard-wired) internet cafe/gaming shop. Used mostly by kids they are cheap.

Why think about making more money before hitting the beach dude?

Sounds like you've made a life decision to go mobile (career online) anyway, so start out exactly where you want.

Head down the coasts for some trips - find a nice cheap place/ got what you need, where 3k will get you a house.

Great. Another one who doesn't give a toss about the laws of the land, and dismisses discussions of visas as ethics.

Firstly, anyone advising you will likely be breaching forum rules by encouraging you to break the law. Secondly, how do you feel about illegal immigrants flouting the laws in your own country?

Bendix, I hadn't thought about it from this perspective and you are technically correct of course.

Assumed as with probably most forum members that individuals are responsible for their own activities and whether they comply with letter of laws as written.

Dont agree that advising OP in this instance in encouragement to break law or breach forum rules . analogy i would use here is its same as someone offering a bike or car for sale on site that is a grey import with no green box or tax stamp.... yes its not legal to strict letter of law and offering it for sale or indeed buying it could be technically construed as breach of forum rules however determinations as to how far this would go are probably best left to mods.

I think one of the reasons we all like being here in Thailand so is that we don't have the complete nanny state that so many of us have back home in our western countries and while serious forum rule breach is unacceptable something like what we have here is fairly innocuous. Up to mods of course at end of day but your point was valid

Cheapest place to live in Bangkok? join the street community living under the Pra Pinklao bridge. That's free, and last I noticed, along with the usual blankets and tarps and mattresses, there were four standalone tents.

Internet is available just down the road at Thammasat University. Take you laptop down, and with picture ID, you get a day in the library for 20 baht.

Lots of street food available nearby, or at the university, or across the bridge into Thonburi.

Many places with western basic standards in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai for 5,000 and less. Some are homes, attached housing, apartments, Condos and rooms. Many of these will even have A/C and availability for internet connection. (Chiang Rai Condotel is just one example).

In the more popular tourist areas of places like Pattaya, there are some rentals for less than 5,000, but many are not to western standards and do not have western style toilets or internet availability on site.

Many of these rentals are word of mouth, so best to come to an area that interests you and check it out for yourself. All you have to do is ask the local expats, they are usually helpful.

Cheapest place to live in Bangkok? join the street community living under the Pra Pinklao bridge. That's free, and last I noticed, along with the usual blankets and tarps and mattresses, there were four standalone tents.

You beat me too it....was going to suggest living under a bridge as well

Great. Another one who doesn't give a toss about the laws of the land, and dismisses discussions of visas as ethics.

Firstly, anyone advising you will likely be breaching forum rules by encouraging you to break the law. Secondly, how do you feel about illegal immigrants flouting the laws in your own country?

Take no notice of this guy.. Bendix maybe you should go stand on government steps with a huge sign saying stop police and government officials corruption first rather than flame a guy who just wants to come live the good life.. He is bringing his own money not taking a cent from the ppl of Thailand.. Immigrants in other countries get free housing , free medical care and much more

and maybe you should get down off your soapbox.....what ever money he is bringing doesnt change the fact he intends to work illegally....what immigrants get in other countries is competely irrelevant

Dont agree that advising OP in this instance in encouragement to break law or breach forum rules .

How can it not be breaking the law? It's very black and white. The OP wants to come here and work to build his business. No problem with that of course, providing he goes through the legal process of applying for the appropriate visas, work permits etc. And yet he blatantly says he is not interested in that and will instead be using a student visa.

To work without a work permit is, ipso facto, illegal. It can't be contradicted.

I would also add this. It is precisely this kind of 'the rules don't apply to me' attitude that forces the Thai authorities to continually tighten the visa rules for foreigners, making it more and more difficult for people who want to be here legally.

Quote of the OP: "I don't want an ethical discussion about working visas. I'm going to get a student visa and study Thai. I know I shouldn't be working without the proper visa, but hey, don't judge me. You know how great it is there."

So, please next time: Read the OP fully before you make a post".

• Like 1

Take no notice of this guy.. Bendix maybe you should go stand on government steps with a huge sign saying stop police and government officials corruption first rather than flame a guy who just wants to come live the good life.. He is bringing his own money not taking a cent from the ppl of Thailand.. Immigrants in other countries get free housing , free medical care and much more

Ah, okay, bring money into Thailand and it is alright to take the piss on the visa regs.

Dont agree that advising OP in this instance in encouragement to break law or breach forum rules .

How can it not be breaking the law? It's very black and white. The OP wants to come here and work to build his business. No problem with that of course, providing he goes through the legal process of applying for the appropriate visas, work permits etc. And yet he blatantly says he is not interested in that and will instead be using a student visa.

To work without a work permit is, ipso facto, illegal. It can't be contradicted.

I would also add this. It is precisely this kind of 'the rules don't apply to me' attitude that forces the Thai authorities to continually tighten the visa rules for foreigners, making it more and more difficult for people who want to be here legally.

Quote of the OP: "I don't want an ethical discussion about working visas. I'm going to get a student visa and study Thai. I know I shouldn't be working without the proper visa, but hey, don't judge me. You know how great it is there."

So, please next time: Read the OP fully before you make a post".

Oh. Right. I'm sorry. I didn't know that the OP simply saying I don't want to discuss something inconvenient meant that that was then forbidden as a discussion point. My mistake.

In other words, I couldn't give a toss about what the OP wants to discuss or not. There are thousands of serious expats who have built or are building lives in Thailand legally. Every single time one of these jumped upped upstarts thinks he can willfully break the rules makes it harder and harder for those of us doing it properly. Immigration and visa rules are getting tighter in Thailand (a good thing in my view) and that is precisely because people like the OP think the rules don't apply to them.

'The OP didn't want an ethical discussion', my a**e.

• Like 1

Police and government corruption is a matter for the Thai people to resolve themselves. It is a purely domestic matter, and as a foreigner it has nothing to do with me. We know it exists yet we choose to remain, in spite of it.

It has no relationship to following relatively simple visa requirements.

As I've said before, every single example of people disobeying or flouting what are relatively relaxed rules makes it ever more likely that the authorities tighten them up for everyone else.

• Like 1

Ah, okay, bring money into Thailand and it is alright to take the piss on the visa regs.

In this case, he's barely bringing enough to make that point even pertinent.

• Like 1

If you're living in a place at 2000 per month you won't have the option of turning on air con, so I'd be most concerned about the heat. I'd stay someplace up north where at least the nights are cooler, or someplace with a good ocean breeze. 80F nights are too warm for me to sleep comfortably.

OP: You can find non aircon rooms for around 2500 baht up in many areas in Bangkok including off some major roads. There are too many to comment about. All major roads have long sois and small building nestled between other more expensive apartment blocks. Even some of the major sois on sukhumvit have such rooms. One option is to find waiting staff or bar staff and they can recommend many many places for you to check out.

Bendix:

Its been stated time and again that if your money isnt being made from Thailand and is only coming inwards to be spent here, that it isn't black and white and its most definitely grey. There was even an official who stated it at the immigration forum about a year or two ago and his official comments were widely documented on this site and others.

Now, I don't know if the OP is planning to make money from Thailand but it doesn't sound like it.

Thats one point. Now my second: Thailand is its own country and differs somewhat from the "rule of law" countries like for example America or England. If you want to make a point about society, which you do ("more likely that the authorities tighten them up "), then you contradict yourself because Thai society doesnt agree with you. We only need to look at the news right now on TV to see that the law says one thing and society accepts a bending of the law where it may benefit society.

To be charitable to your possible reasoning, if you want to make a moral point "in principle" then please first justify why you believe such a thing as a moral principle might exist and why it pertains to this poor guys questions. Hint: you will be successful in achieving neither because the former do not exist and the question is not being begged.

Edited by OxfordWill
  • Like 1

Ignore the old guys with the negative comments and get your backside on a plane and come do it..

OP ignore the "English teachers" and internet business persons who dont have a pot to piss in and stay in blighty or alternatively if you want somewhere warm and cheap to live in go and live in Greece

Its been stated time and again that if your money isnt being made from Thailand and is only coming inwards to be spent here, that it isn't black and white and its most definitely grey. There was even an official who stated it at the immigration forum about a year or two ago and his official comments were widely documented on this site and others.

not grey at all...Phuket immigration came out with an article over a year ago which stated that people lving in Thailand and operating internet business' required a WP

OP: You can find non aircon rooms for around 2500 baht up in many areas in Bangkok including off some major roads. There are too many to comment about. All major roads have long sois and small building nestled between other more expensive apartment blocks. Even some of the major sois on sukhumvit have such rooms. One option is to find waiting staff or bar staff and they can recommend many many places for you to check out.

Bendix:

Now, I don't know if the OP is planning to make money from Thailand but it doesn't sound like it.

You're wrong. It's very black and white and the online ramblings of a random immigration official do NOT consitute the legal situation.

If you are working in Thailand - irrespective of where the income comes from - you require a non-immi B visa and a work permit.

The logical extension of your bogus proposition is that I could have a factory here and woulnd't need any visa or work permit to run it, so long as I was only exporting my product. It's clearly nonsense.

Soutpeel, your point just goes to show how the law is one way in phuket and another way in Bangkok. If you don't understand yet that Thailand is a place of many bosses, all with equal power over their immediate jurisdiction but conflicting ideas about how things like law are implemented, then you simply haven't lived here long enough.

It was not an online immigration forum. It was the Thailand Immigration Forum- held at the Queen Sirikit Centre as I recall, it was on TV, open to certain parts of the public both foreign and local and encouraged questions on exactly this kind of thing. As I recall a senior ranking Bangkok Police officer was also present.

It is very much grey.

Please do let me know how you could have a factory here and not take anything from the country.

Analogies like that are weak. The OP is (I believe) working on building websites which exist on servers in some other country. He uses his own time to build them without taking anything (time, labour, money, etc) from Thailand and then sells them to people in other countries. It is a specific scenario which Thaivisa as an online community has discussed over and over (and over) and was finally (I thought) put to bed by the official Thailand Immigration and Royal Thai Police forum on Immigration and Labour blah blah event a year or two ago.