Thailand Eyes Hosting Formula 1 Race In 2014

webfact

See what you have done!

The taxi drivers, drug dealers, and scam artist are now calculating what a 300% increase in tourism will add to their pocket change. Umps, I forgot the airport police. Sorry...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's just hope the will not introduce a Thai F1 driver at the same time,

I can just see it, the red lights go out, he then decides to put into gear, sets off slowly, slows down at the first corner with a bit of weaving about for good measure.

Seriously It would be great if it happened

I'm a big F1 an and would love Thailand to be on the race calender. That said, this is just another bloated minister flapping his jaw to issue a press release, any press release, in an attempt to justify his existence. Who are the "relevant parties" his ministry supposedly talked to? Just a bunch of people sitting in a giant jacuzzi in one of the VIP massage parlors most likely. They all would be dreaming of the skim and be wondering if 3G would be required by the first race season. Conversation all in good fun of course. It could never happen.

Let's just hope the will not introduce a Thai F1 driver at the same time,

I can just see it, the red lights go out, he then decides to put into gear, sets off slowly, slows down at the first corner with a bit of weaving about for good measure.

Seriously It would be great if it happened

This is the first I have heard or read on this topic and I follow F1 on a daily basis. Not saying that inquiries have not been made, although these types of rumors find their way onto the internet very quickly.

Bernie does not grant a race without all the details being completed and the most important part, payment up front to F1 prior to confirming a race. Just ask the US organizers about this little detail. I wonder if the TAT would be willing to write a check for 1.6 billion baht for the hosting fees, then cough up the cost of the venue? A street race would be possible in Bangkok, so reducing venue costs.

Races are being stricken from the calendar, such as Turkey. Spain is trying to renegotiate their fee structure or withdraw the Valencia race. Australia is negotiating for lower fees or they will not renew their contract for the Albert Park race. The Indian and Korean GP's are questionable in the future as they have had low turnout since their inception.

Good post. You just forgot the Chinese GP which looks ill as well.

I also follow F1 on a daily basis.

In the bible ESPN F1, the only input I found is one year old. By the way read it it's interesting. "countries are queuing up to pay huge fees to host F1. Poland, South Africa and the Ukraine immediately spring to mind with Thailand, the Philippines and Croatia also likely to be on the horizon."

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/46934.html

They will not be able to built a racetrack that will be according to safety regulations of the FIA.

With all the corruption involved it will be second hand materials, second hand safety measures, second hand this, second hand that....

Not in a million years!

If you doubt: Suvarnabhumi is a good example!

Let's just hope the will not introduce a Thai F1 driver at the same time,as the odds are that he will drive against the flow.

Plenty of minivan drivers that would give Mark Weber a run for his money and hey if they crash they could still win by legging it over the finnish line.

2014? That is two years away. Without a circuit already planned (and is there anywhere in Thailand where the roads would be suitable for a street race?) then there is no chance.

Also, as I haven't lived in Bangkok for some time, can someone let me know where the racing circuit at National Stadium is? Or will the Race Of Champions involve a few laps around MBK?

In 2006 they started to widen Thappraya Road, between Pattaya and Jomtien !

It is still not finished ..........

F1 has not got a Cat in Hells chance ......IMHO !

Edited by Grappa

They will not be able to built a racetrack that will be according to safety regulations of the FIA.

With all the corruption involved it will be second hand materials, second hand safety measures, second hand this, second hand that....

Not in a million years!

If you doubt: Suvarnabhumi is a good example!

Agreed, and imagine how many tyre changes they would need to make with the shocking blether we have here.

• Like 1

Talk is cheap, staging an Grand Prix race isn't. Aside from Prince Bira decades ago Thailand has zero history in Formula One and that won't change any time soon.

Tell us how many of the current 19 countries with races that have a driver on the F1 grid plus those with history?

Typical negative comments from the usual armchair farangs rolling in I see! Get a life the lot of you or better still go back to the wonderful life you left behind.

If I said that it cost the Victorian (Melb Aust) taxpayer 50.2 M AUD to stage the grand prix last year and it gave a return of 32 M would you consider that a negative comment. These costs increase dramatically each year. Can the thais afford around 1.8 Bil thb for a 5 day event that the vast majority would never see because of the costs? General admission tickets for the event around $265 AUD (8,560 thb) 2 months wages for most thais. These prices are to recoupe the cost of the licence and Thailand isn't going to get the licence any cheaper. Last years grand prix had around 115,000 spectators the vast majority being Australians. I can't see a grand prix boosting Thailands tourism by 300% sure you will have a few more tourists who would not usually go to Thailand come for just the grand prix but this will not be dramitic and I doubt if there would be enough to cover the costs,

Thailand is still a developing country with the majority of the citizens living in poverty, without proper health care and education and personally I think the money could be better spent on these people instead of a party for the Hi So sect and a few petrolhead expats. Thailand can have a grand prix in the future but get your priorities and house in order first. If that is a negative attitude then I accept your criticism.

Does the British GP cost the tax payer anything ?

Directly NO but there was a cost involved to complete the road infrastructure that was inadequate. With the proper consultation(!) with established circuit owners it could be done. Silverstone is the obvious one.

• Like 1

Is there a track that might be even remotely suitable for F1's in Thailand?

I can't really see this getting off the ground, but even if it did, I don't think there would be a 300% increase in tourism ... even for a weekend.

Don Muang airport

2014? That is two years away. Without a circuit already planned (and is there anywhere in Thailand where the roads would be suitable for a street race?) then there is no chance.

Also, as I haven't lived in Bangkok for some time, can someone let me know where the racing circuit at National Stadium is? Or will the Race Of Champions involve a few laps around MBK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU_OJQrB68k

Talk is cheap, staging an Grand Prix race isn't. Aside from Prince Bira decades ago Thailand has zero history in Formula One and that won't change any time soon.

Thailand may not have a lot of history, but with Thais owning 51% (I thought it was 50%?) of "Austrian" Red Bull, they have effectively mojority ownership of two F1 teams (Red Bull and Toro Rosso), and with Red Bull Racing doing as well as they are...

Admittedly, I think the only chance of Thailand having an F1 race is if the Red Bull guys choose to do it as I wouldn't trust the government to build anything. (at least not on time, on budget and to a high enough spec. that the track could still be in use in 5 years time).

2014 is a non-starter though, as I thought there were requirements to run lower-spec races for at least a year and if the track isn't built already...

The alternative to a track is a street circuit, but which parts of Bangkok's streets do you think are capable of holding an F1 race... - race tracks need to be SMOOTH, and I don't know of a road here that isn't too bumpy for them (even the elevated expressways would be bumpy in an F1 car, and they're a lot smoother than the surface roads.)

Edited by bkk_mike

would the drivers have to stop to pay the toll ?? , would make this crap and boring so called sport a bit more exciting imho , no doubt it will soon be the hub of f1 tho !

would the drivers have to stop to pay the toll ?? , would make this crap and boring so called sport a bit more exciting imho , no doubt it will soon be the hub of f1 tho !

While paying the toll police could book them for speeding and extract another THB 1,000

What a fkn joke, i would love to see it but in my view it will never happen, to much temptation for ripping of the cash and this government are led by an expert at that eventhough he lives in another country, just more b-shit talk lets pay the farmers and flood victims their compensation first