Pointing - In The Wrong Direction

BuffaloRescue

Ive noticed, when you ask a Thai where something is or any question that involves asking how to go somewhere, or where to find something.. or a question that invites pointing to the object/place in question the place they point is never the right way.

It is usually off by 30 - 45 degrees.

Just wondering if its impolite to point directly at something, or if there is some other unfathomable reason why they cant point in the right direction when they know where it is.

Just another one of Thailands mysteries i guess.

Anyone else found this?

Often. And often 180 degrees off. I always thought it had something to do with not like saying 'no. I try not to ask unless the situation is hopeless.

My GF, who is Thai, also seems to be directionally impaired. But of course most of my GFs, of any nationality, have been directionally impaired.

Often. And often 180 degrees off. I always thought it had something to do with not like saying 'no. I try not to ask unless the situation is hopeless.

My GF, who is Thai, also seems to be directionally impaired. But of course most of my GFs, of any nationality, have been directionally impaired.

Well in theory if its 180 degrees off and you keep walkng for a verrrrry long time youll arrive at the right place

Well in theory if its 180 degrees off and you keep walkng for a verrrrry long time youll arrive at the right place

wink.png

They are considering wind direction and are giving you a vector to approach from

haha dead rekoning

If the destination lies in a mainly easterly or westerly direction, they are probably just giving you the initial Great Circle heading. Up to you to correct your heading as you go.

They are considering wind direction and are giving you a vector to approach from

Or maybe he is a Brit with loads of tattoos and they think he's drunk. By the time he weaves from left to right, he will finally hit the right place. giggle.gif

Small print.

This is a joke, i'm a brit. This is not a brit bash.

If the destination lies in a mainly easterly or westerly direction, they are probably just giving you the initial Great Circle heading. Up to you to correct your heading as you go.

Yes the great circle where you ask directions from multiple locations and attempt to zero in on your target using only landmarks and directions mentioned more than once.