Post Below: "I Need A Cheap Place" Etc.Etc.

swissie

I am here working legally as I have been for many years and it doesn't' bother me if people come here and work illegally. I don't have to look over my shoulder every day worrying that I might get locked up. If they cause the WP process to become more onerous never mind its not the most difficult that I'be had to go through and I think that if I can bring some of value I will always get approved and if I can't I shouldnt be here. l say leave him alone and let him have an adventure. He'll learn a lot on the way.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 2

I'm a bit confused by all this !!

Where in the other thread does it say he is young, where does it say he will be travelling with a backpack (maybe he has a case with wheels).

It does state that he will be learning Thai, so a study visa is good, right ?

He does also say that he lives a pretty frugal life in the U.K already, so obviously has no great need for all the western trimmings :) So the question about reasonably priced rooms is valid, no ?

I sometimes reply to emails concerning my work abroad, does that make me illegal for working online ??

Positive encouragement is good karma for those giving it :)

Travel has clearly broadened a lot of horizons on here. Not all can do so through the correct channels. Its no less a valid experience for them.

Live and let live I say. Sure he is taking a risk...less than some without a return ticket and even more so than some I have met in their 40/50s with no proper pension or provision set up.

Living for today with no thought for the morrow. Those guys are really nuts.

I know lot of people who used to buy one year multiple non-O's for 10k without never leaving the country nor qualifying the visa. This was still ongoing say 10 - 15 years ago and quite common. Just using agents who paid immigration to get the visas. Although when these guys got work they went legit and flew out to get non-B and WP. And i can understand and respect that, no one lost. Win win for all parties. Not like abusing certain visa classes and getting trouble for those who are legit.

And this was legal to use agencies to take the passports out of the country?

To me that is visa abuse right there. These actions lead to it becoming more difficult to aquire a non-o vis for the legit. Setting standards?

Swissie is probably afraid an other young guy will come so he has to pay more for his girls.

More likely afraid of a young guy who doesn't have to pay for the girls:-)

Do you really believe that's how it is in Thailand, that old farangs have to pay, young farangs don't? Interesting. If you keep perpetuating the myth, perhaps you can convince yourself...

I know lot of people who used to buy one year multiple non-O's for 10k without never leaving the country nor qualifying the visa. This was still ongoing say 10 - 15 years ago and quite common. Just using agents who paid immigration to get the visas. Although when these guys got work they went legit and flew out to get non-B and WP. And i can understand and respect that, no one lost. Win win for all parties. Not like abusing certain visa classes and getting trouble for those who are legit.

To me that is visa abuse right there. These actions lead to it becoming more difficult to aquire a non-o vis for the legit. Setting standards?

Yes, it is abuse and illegal. But i can not see how this made it more difficult to others?

Not like using ed-visa to work which has resulted "crackdowns" already. Remember the guy who after 5 years on ed visa could not say hello in Thai.

Yes, it is abuse and illegal. But i can not see how this made it more difficult to others?

Not like using ed-visa to work which has resulted "crackdowns" already. Remember the guy who after 5 years on ed visa could not say hello in Thai.

If the people using the educational visas are legit, what is the problem with crackdowns? You will always get people abusing the system; nature of the beast!

For information, is this kind of practice still possible?

Unfortunately the OP in the other thread seemed to have enough of it and the thread was locked.

Full of the self righteous blethering on about work permits and breaking Thai laws

Honestly, they could outblether TheBlether :)

I hope that all these posters have work permits. As you need a work permit to use your knowledge to give advice. So anyone giving advice or mods that moderate while in Thailand will all require work permits. I feel sorry for the immigration officials as I'm sure that there will be a rush next week with the posters hurrying to get their work permits sorted in order to comply with the law.

Personally, I believe that we should all respect the Thai way of life and try to be as Thai as possible. As Thais in general don't seem to care too much about rules and laws that affect them negatively, I will try to break as many laws as possible in future :)

• Like 1

Swissie is probably afraid an other young guy will come so he has to pay more for his girls.

Do you really believe that's how it is in Thailand, that old farangs have to pay, young farangs don't? Interesting. If you keep perpetuating the myth, perhaps you can convince yourself...

Ok you've convinced me. All the old boys over for their 2 weeks or month in the sun get that 21 year old all for free.

Gotta laugh at the OP. He talks of the person he is referring to as undereducated.

Now, how many grammatical and punctuation mistakes are there in his post?

Nice one you pathetic <deleted>.

Oh my dear Nottocus,

Even by looking at my handle "Swissie", it must have escaped you that english is not my native language. So true! But I must insist: My english (verbally or written), is better than 95 % of all high-school graduates in the USA. If you are a US-Citizen, this may come as a shock to you. Nevermind!

Of course, if you would be willing to compare language skills between you and me you may be up for somewhat of a challenge: My german and french language skills (and probably my thai), as far as foreign languages are concerned, is probably above yours. But I will be happy to stand corrected.

Punctuation, for exampe the KOMMA (= ,) Why do major newspapers in the US not apply kommas in their headlines at all ? The official version is : To save space within the headline. My version: In spite of all what they learned in grammar-school = They simply don't know where it is approriate to use it. So they don't use it at all.

Well nottocus, (komma) I wish you a good day. Cheers.

Ok you've convinced me. All the old boys over for their 2 weeks or month in the sun get that 21 year old all for free.

Are you telling me these bargirls are giving away their services for free to young studs? But seriously, my feeling is that everybody pays.

Yeah, I think it's harsh and arrogant. Who are you to tell me how to live? I was here long before you that I can guarantee. Now you want to tell me that if I do not have XXXX baht to no doubt spend it as you see fit as well - that I should go home and get a life. Well, nuts to you. Thailand really SUCKS now and it is becasue of attitudes like like this.

You guys save it all up and make the grand plan. You come here when your life is 80% spent, you are overweight and no prize - but you think Thailand is your oyster and you know it like you were born here. You have no respect for the old hands, especially the younger guys like me who took the chance to live the dream. Even the old guys, many servicemen came here LONG before you jokers showed up - now you want to tell everyone how it is. most of you can't hack it and go home after a few years any way.

We have are wannabe venture capitalisits and retired insurance salesman, used car sales man, blue collar knowitalls executives and IT network and web development geniuses.

I miss the freaks and the eccentrics! Bring back all the CIA agents they are living in the Philippines now.

OK so you ran into an idiot and maybe many of the guys on those visas are idiots but they get to try it on too. If they stay, they will learn. Some will learn well, others will not. Many will go home just as you hope.

Michael Hayes (former) owner of the Phnom Penh Post once quipped to me...

English teacher, one step above - drifter.

That has stuck for 15+ years.

For information, is this kind of practice still possible?

Who knows, although all those "agents" from back then have disappeared long ago and i haven't heard of anyone getting one for almost ten years.

And even that time lot of guys got busted going cheap and getting fake stamps. Lose your passport and oops, immigration database says you been overstaying for years while you though you had legit exit and entry stamps with records in immigration database.

If the people using the educational visas are legit, what is the problem with crackdowns? You will always get people abusing the system; nature of the beast!

I reckon the complaint is that abuse results tighter requirements and more hoops to jump to get legit one.

Gotta laugh at the OP. He talks of the person he is referring to as undereducated.

Oh my dear Nottocus,

Even by looking at my handle "Swissie", it must have escaped you that english is not my native language. So true! But I must insist: My english (verbally or written), is better than 95 % of all high-school graduates in the USA. If you are a US-Citizen, this may come as a shock to you. Nevermind!

Of course, if you would be willing to compare language skills between you and me you may be up for somewhat of a challenge: My german and french language skills (and probably my thai), as far as foreign languages are concerned, is probably above yours. But I will be happy to stand corrected.

Punctuation, for exampe the KOMMA (= ,) Why do major newspapers in the US not apply kommas in their headlines at all ? The official version is : To save space within the headline. My version: In spite of all what they learned in grammar-school = They simply don't know where it is approriate to use it. So they don't use it at all.

Trust me when I say. Your English is far better than my Swiss. But you've been drinking the Kool-aid if you think your English is better than 95% of the US graduates.

If I was going to use an example of how great my English grammar was. I certainly would not misspell coma.

What your suggesting is that the copyright editors of these major American newspapers don't know how to use comma's? Really?

Sorry about this. The Internet is the last place people should be worrying about grammar. I do applaud you communicating in a language your not very proficient in.

OP,

I think everyone is going to have different views on breaking visa laws. You're preaching to the choir. Personally, I don't have an issue with breaking such laws. That doesn't mean I'm a hypocrite. I have no issue with foreigners coming to live in my country, illegally or not.

I'm a big believer in a free world and think that there should be more border freedom. If immigrants don't want to stay in their own country for some reason, I'd hate for people to be living a lesser life and feel trapped. As long as they aren't hurting anyone - they are OK in my book.

I do want to learn Thai and will be in every class. I don't see a problem with playing on my computer - locked in my room - and not flashing it in peoples faces. Also, I will be spending my earnings in Thailand. That's a bonus, right?

Anyway, I've decided to live like a bum in my own country at the moment and do my IM'ing full-time. That's not to say I won't be in Thailand soon. I have plans to bring my earnings up to a few thousand per month, in about 6 months.

And another thing: I am uneducated, older than young and I pay my taxes :).

Oh my dear Nottocus,

Trust me when I say. Your English is far better than my Swiss. But you've been drinking the Kool-aid if you think your English is better than 95% of the US graduates.

If I was going to use an example of how great my English grammar was. I certainly would not misspell coma.

What your suggesting is that the copyright editors of these major American newspapers don't know how to use comma's? Really?

Sorry about this. The Internet is the last place people should be worrying about grammar. I do applaud you communicating in a language your not very proficient in.

Or you could try not to mispell comma. Unless you were in a coma when you posted. drunk.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my dear Nottocus,

Or you could try not to mispell comma. Unless you were in a coma when you posted. drunk.gif

LMAO obviously. Epic fail on my part.