Switching From Married To Retirement Visa

I'm swiching from my married [supporting thai spouse] to a retirement visa and have the 800k in bank for 3 months and have an appointment with the online queue....now trying to make sure I have the proper forms and copies of everything they want.

first question is do I need duplicate coppies of every thing or will a single copy suffice??

what I will have is

copies of most of my passport stamps [just to be sure]

map to my residence

letter from bank showing current balance

photocopy of bankbooks and entries?? and I'll bring originals

fotos of me

and 3 forms ..TM7, TM8 [re-entry permit] and TM.86 application for change of visa [is this necessary?]

Am I forgetting anything??

and can I only submit a single copy of the above or do they require duplicate??

thanks in advance for any input.......

Where is important to know for number of copies - as you mention appointment suspect it is Chiang Mai?

If you are here on extension of stay or non immigrant visa entry there is no TM86 requirement.

Where is important to know for number of copies - as you mention appointment suspect it is Chiang Mai?

If you are here on extension of stay or non immigrant visa entry there is no TM86 requirement.

Yes Lopburi....I knew you would have some answers. I am in Chiang Mai....do they require 2 coppies?? and another question comes to mind is because I am switching to retirement visa, do I need a medical certificate??

It is never a bad idea to take too much paperwork. They can always give you back anything they don't need.

As said no medical certificate is required.

Only TM7 and TM8 is needed.

BTW it is not a Visa. It is an extension of stay.smile.png

Just returned from CM immigration and didn't get a happy ending.....The one detail that was missing was a copy of my marriage certificate......maybe this is an old law that they are reinforcing, but now I have to return on Monday morning with that one piece of paper.....grrrrr. Apparently some marriage visa holders were not reporting to immigration immediately upon divorce as required by this law and the fine is 500thb/day for not reporting. Others might want to take note of this obscure law that is now being enforced.

The CM immigration office was overflowing with people....mostly Burmese, but lots of falangs.....no sitting room and not even standing room in the main waiting room, but with their new on line queue system, they called my name promptly at my appointment time and I would have been out in an hour if not for my oversite.

Why do they need your marriage certificate if you're changing to a retirement visa? Are they saying that because you had a marriage extension before, you have to prove you didn't get divorced before they'll give you a retirement extension?? Not understanding what a marriage license (whether you're married, divorced, separated, single, whatever) has to do with a retirement extension at all...

Just returned from CM immigration and didn't get a happy ending.....The one detail that was missing was a copy of my marriage certificate......maybe this is an old law that they are reinforcing, but now I have to return on Monday morning with that one piece of paper.....grrrrr. Apparently some marriage visa holders were not reporting to immigration immediately upon divorce as required by this law and the fine is 500thb/day for not reporting. Others might want to take note of this obscure law that is now being enforced.

The CM immigration office was overflowing with people....mostly Burmese, but lots of falangs.....no sitting room and not even standing room in the main waiting room, but with their new on line queue system, they called my name promptly at my appointment time and I would have been out in an hour if not for my oversite.

It has always been the case that if the reason for an extension no longer exists ( like in your example you are no longer married while on an extension based on marriage) your permission to stay becomes invalid and you need to reprot to immigration to have your permission to stay canceled. if you don't do that, you are on overstay at 500 baht a day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

They are asking for a copy of your marriage certificate, not a copy of the entry into the marriage register (khor rhor 2 form)? The last is what really shows that you are still married.

Your lucky if only the marriage certificate or ledger entry is required - they required I bring my wife to immigration when I made the change to retirement. And I argued it up to two senior level captains and finally got an agreement to accept doctors certificate (wife was unable to travel without severe nausea so that was main reason for my wanting to change). Wife was so mad she did travel next day and got it changed. There reasoning was wife must be informed of the change (joint marriage) as some might be making the change in anticipation for divorce so they protecting wifes interests.

It has always been the case that if the reason for an extension no longer exists ( like in your example you are no longer married while on an extension based on marriage) your permission to stay becomes invalid and you need to reprot to immigration to have your permission to stay canceled. if you don't do that, you are on overstay at 500 baht a day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

They are asking for a copy of your marriage certificate, not a copy of the entry into the marriage register (khor rhor 2 form)? The last is what really shows that you are still married.

True Mario.....luckily my wife was present and the feminazi officer called her over to explain what you explained above, but didn't mention the 20kthb cap ....saying that some falangs took advantage of the married visa. wow....500 per day for 360 days = 180,000thb would force me to leave the Kingdom.

2 other details I forgot to mention is that only 1 copy [of all docs] is required [in CM] and that only the account with the 800kthb is required......didn't need to bring my personal account docs.

She went thru all my papers and pre approved them and told me to just go directly to her on Monday morning....then the 90 day....then the multi entry. Not looking forward to Monday.

In all fairness to the officer, she was rather nice and was just following the rules and maybe not so much of a feminazi...

One more detail that the wife just mentioned [matter of factly] is the lady officer also asked for a copy of our baan papers and her ID card.

details, details,details

When I go in Monday, I'm gonna ask her where do they store all the paperwork that they receive from us every day?? it's gotta be a huge warehouse!!

i never go to immigration without at least 5 copies of everything,

imho, its totally random amount of copies they need from time to time, but they never needed more then 5 so far

so with 5 copies i am safe to go, imho,

however i can assure you that one copy is never enough

Your lucky if only the marriage certificate or ledger entry is required - they required I bring my wife to immigration when I made the change to retirement. And I argued it up to two senior level captains and finally got an agreement to accept doctors certificate (wife was unable to travel without severe nausea so that was main reason for my wanting to change). Wife was so mad she did travel next day and got it changed. There reasoning was wife must be informed of the change (joint marriage) as some might be making the change in anticipation for divorce so they protecting wifes interests.

This is a hilarious explanation for why they might want to see the marriage cert or the actual wife but entirely credible. There must be committees of Immigration Police generals who do nothing all day but dream up new regulations that serve no purpose whatsoever but make Thailand seem as xenophobic as possible.

This is a hilarious explanation for why they might want to see the marriage cert or the actual wife but entirely credible. There must be committees of Immigration Police generals who do nothing all day but dream up new regulations that serve no purpose whatsoever but make Thailand seem as xenophobic as possible.

You may think this is a hilarious explanation but in my experience it's consistent with their thinking. They protect their own, especially when it comes to money.

What's the benefit of switching from marriage to retired? I am presently processing a marriage visa but I intend to work.

Retirement is immediate with only financial proof required for paperwork. But it is not an option if you intend to work.

I like the word xenophobic,, went to Immigration in BKK 4 years ago to get another Re-Entry Permit in my residence book. Was told, "Sir, your previous Re-Entry Permit" hasn't been used and you need to cancel it first!" I replied: "But it's expired since 4 months and the year before I was not able to travel due to our projects here, so I couldn't use it, but anyway it's expired. Normally it takes 3 days of procedure to cancel an unused and expired Re-Entry Permit. With my flight to leave Thailand the next day she kindly sped up the procedure down to 3 hours with consulting her seniors which was a nice and thankful experience. Even it's completely incomprehensible to have a payed but unused Re-Entry Permit cancelled I deeply appreciated her effort to get me a new one the same day.

Edited by lopburi3
remove incorrect member name on quote

What's the benefit of switching from marriage to retired? I am presently processing a marriage visa but I intend to work.

If you intend to work then there is no benefit--indeed, I believe that you are not eligible for a retirement visa.

The advantage of the retirement visa is that it is a faster, easier visa. It requires (I should say that it required, last year, in my case), just a letter confirming monthly income from your embassy, and a single form.

The immigration officers last year issued both visas to me. My visa stamp in my passport says both "Thai Wife" and "Retirement." The officer told me that my renewal this year should be done only on the basis of retirement, as it is simpler and faster for the immigration office, as well as for me.

I will take the usual documents with me, nonetheless. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I like the word xenophobic,, went to Immigration in BKK 4 years ago to get another Re-Entry Permit in my residence book. Was told, "Sir, your previous Re-Entry Permit" hasn't been used and you need to cancel it first!" I replied: "But it's expired since 4 months and the year before I was not able to travel due to our projects here, so I couldn't use it, but anyway it's expired. Normally it takes 3 days of procedure to cancel an unused and expired Re-Entry Permit. With my flight to leave Thailand the next day she kindly sped up the procedure down to 3 hours with consulting her seniors which was a nice and thankful experience. Even it's completely incomprehensible to have a payed but unused Re-Entry Permit cancelled I deeply appreciated her effort to get me a new one the same day.

I don't understand what a "residence book" has to do with a re-entry permit.

I'm on my fourth year of an extension of permission to stay due to retirement for an O visa. Every year I buy a single re-entry permit when I do my extension. Never know when you might be called out of the country suddenly and not have time to get a re-entry permit. I've never used any of those single-entry permits and the officers at Chiang Mai immigration have never said I have to cancel them. They simply expire when the permission to stay expires and I always buy a new one at the same time I get a new permission to stay.

In fact, normally the officer sees the unused re-entry permit in my passport when processing the extension and reminds me it's now expired and I need to get a new one.

Edited by RogerL

When I go in Monday, I'm gonna ask her where do they store all the paperwork that they receive from us every day?? it's gotta be a huge warehouse!!

Perhaps its not just coincidence the burning season has been so bad following a year where the immigration office has been so busy..... angry.png

It would appear that requirements vary at different immigration offices.

Here in Kanchanaburi I am on my third retirement extension and each time they have wanted a medical certificate, which costs 50 baht for a 30 second yes/no session followed by a quick listen to my chest.

they have only asked me for proof of accomodation once.

When the time comes for a visit I try to have everything ready, but always go a couple of weeks before necessary in case I have to return with something missed or added to list of rerquirements.

One more detail that the wife just mentioned [matter of factly] is the lady officer also asked for a copy of our baan papers and her ID card.

details, details,details

The excessive paperwork has to be burned, hence the air pollution in CM ...