Thai Traffic Kills Another Swede

webfact

Lots of Thai bashing, not seen anything to suggest it was a Thai driver. I drive a pick-up, could just as easily been a non-Thai....

Fair point but....in terms of statisical probability.....in all likelyhood the driver would be ???

hmm, such a cowardly act would never have happened back in the holier than thou west would it??

I mean, if I was to believe the tripe I'm reading on this thread, 'hit and run' is a term which has just recently been added to the English language. Never happens back in farang land. The term had to be invented to describe what happens in places like Thailand.

I do wonder if the guy was wearing a helmet. Probably not.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can,t go without correcting your terrible use of English grammar and spelling. Let me help you.

"Yes, you know my life, my profession and you, (comma) are exactly right with everything you have deduced ( inferred, would be better here) from just one sentence. Congratulations, you ( only 1 will suffice) win the forum wars and you will be crowned, (comma) "general topics troll of (not 'if') the week", thanks for a productive use of both our time.

How is my illiteracy now ? be careful out there, especially (in your case) the roads of Thailand. take care.

I don't want to get involved in this squabble but, I would like to point out that beginning a spelling flame with a spelling error is rarely a good look...

I'm a neighbour and I put a couple of comments on this thread. RIP mate. http://www.thaivisa....46#entry5120846

Bet you wished you had never asked to lock that other thread now santisuk!

Now family and friends of the deceased who are searching for information can read this complete pile of dog poo written by a complete mob of jerk.gif instead. angry.png

Absolutely. Made me throw up reading these ridiculous squabbles. I'm going to go down the bar in Kantharalak he used to frequent later today and see if I can assist whatever family support the local falang community is drumming up.

• Like 1

Lots of Thai bashing, not seen anything to suggest it was a Thai driver. I drive a pick-up, could just as easily been a non-Thai....

Fair point but....in terms of statisical probability.....in all likelyhood the driver would be ???

hmm, such a cowardly act would never have happened back in the holier than thou west would it??

I mean, if I was to believe the tripe I'm reading on this thread, 'hit and run' is a term which has just recently been added to the English language. Never happens back in farang land. The term had to be invented to describe what happens in places like Thailand.

I do wonder if the guy was wearing a helmet. Probably not.

Doing a runner after an accident has been elevated to an art form here in Thailand.... Even the most staunch rose colored glasses guy up country has to get a laugh out of the fact after the last major train accident in south Thailand, the operator of the train does a runner. I think the common conjecture about running away to sober up is probably correct. Seems all the bus drivers involved in accidents do the classic runner, which may seem odd as the police know exactly who he is after looking at his ID card inside the bus........A few days to detox, then turn yourself in.

I have ridden only a motorcycle for the last 18 years straight, so know the dangers well. Check your rear view mirrors all the time, as death generally comes from behind.....Not really sure why Thailand does not impose stricter laws on hit and run. In the west , the law will brutalize you if you leave the accident scene, in some cases the penalty for leaving will be greater than the accident itself. Maybe the laxness of the hit and run law here is to protect the hiso people who always seem to be running down people when they are drunk....... My condolences to the man who died. As a long term rider, the expression of " There but for the grace of god go I" applies to me. RIP.

• Like 1

I'm a neighbour and I put a couple of comments on this thread. RIP mate. http://www.thaivisa....46#entry5120846

Bet you wished you had never asked to lock that other thread now santisuk!

Now family and friends of the deceased who are searching for information can read this complete pile of dog poo written by a complete mob of jerk.gif instead. angry.png

Absolutely. Made me throw up reading these ridiculous squabbles. I'm going to go down the bar in Kantharalak he used to frequent later today and see if I can assist whatever family support the local falang community is drumming up.

Good on ya mate, all the best.

yes there are a lot of accidents here no doubt about it

but it will never change

as thai generally have no consideration for other drivers/riders/walkers

and give way that really is a joke

thai will not give way unless they have to so i dont

drive like a idiot and you will blend in better i can compare the driving standards here to those of italy

and drove there for five years also as well as driving here

it sad that lalangs get killed needlessly

but who will change things here

Check your rear view mirrors all the time, as death generally comes from behind.....

I am quite sure that the vast majority of thais don't even know what the real use of those mirrors is, and only see them as an extra accesory for their vanity, have a look around and you will see so many of them just checking up their face on them (men included), then, when the time to use them arise, they just comes into the road lane without looking in any other direction other then the road just on front of them.

They see our use of mirrors as an oddity, one day i even got mocked up by a young couple on their motocy because they can't understand it, it was fun though, i hope they will not find out what the mirrors are for the hard way...

• Like 1

and another time a coward driver flee the scene ..... is it local practice to refuse to face your responsibilities?

You have been here 20 years and you need to ask that? Ive been here only a few years and knew the answer long ago.

A few months ago my gf's cousin and two children were killed by a drunk driver who wrecked his car so badly that his friends picked him in their own car to flee the scene as he left at least two of the victims to die in the road who probably wouldve survived if they had received any medical treatment. My gf was devasted by the loss and furious at the guy for being so irresponsible.

A few days ago we are driving through the countryside and we come upon what looks like the result of a hit and run so I slow down to investigiate and help if needed. Straight away I was yelled at not to stop and help as if it was an accident I would be the one to blame for everything.

Fortunately when we drove past turns out it was just some rubbish that had been scattered across the road next to skid marks from a past accident.

So there is your answer.

if your partner told you to drive on, then that should be your cue to move on. this heartless person will walk away from you some day when you are hurt or injured. probably from their hand. angry.png

Wow some prediction, maybe just maybe the gf knew what she was talking about as the only thing that counts here is money and farangs equate to money , sad but true.

When will Thai society jail such drivers? Them fleeing the scene of an accident indicates that such action benefits them. Be it that they pay off the BiB or whatever. Thailand should look to Singapore's laws when it wants to become a 1st World country.

As a biker, I am always aware of my vulnerability. Overtaking before a corner? Driving on the wrong side? You bet! I watched Thai drivers of buses and song taews count money while driving, not paying proper attaention.

By fleeing, this driver deserves jail time! All the time, every time!

Kantharalak is in the north east and belongs to Sisaket province. It's only 45 km away from Kao Phar Wihan temple.

I do not understand why some posters are complaining about others' Grammar, punctuation, etc as this isn't an English writing competition, or?

I've had an accident with my motorcycle and a guy with a Pick Up truck hit mine not too long ago.

Fact was that he couldn't flee the scene,as his car was also very damaged and very close to the local police station.

They were trying to change my witness' mind, but he was an honest man.

It took a long time, but the insurance company had to pay for repairing my car, relatively good money for my pain, but only because I knew some " powerful local people."

Another strange accident that also happened in the same province about 5 years ago, where a drunk Thai guy had killed three others, who sat on the back of a Pick Up truck.The drunk was a "big shot", a kind of director of some hospitals belonging to the same province where the Swede got killed.

The families of the deceased received around 200,000 baht for their beloved ones, the guy staying at a hospital for longer still has the same position he had before. No prison time. Just money changed hands and all is already forgotten.

Another good example was my neighbors crash with a motorcycle. Both were drunk, cops kept the teacher's car and the motorbike.

His mother than payed around 40,000 baht to the cop who had made the report, so he could take his car, got it fixed through his insurance and the motorcycle driver was blamed for causing the accident.

There are many ways to Rome, you just have to find them.............jap.gif .

Edited by sirchai

Every single Thai know this. If in a serious accident, flee the scene. Then show yourself up at the nearest police station to report the accident after 2 days.

Just show me one case that driver did not flee the scene. I will prove to you that he/she is Farang.

Thats exactly what happened to the drunk driver that killed 3 members of my gf's family. He left his wrecked car at the scene and hid for a few days then came to talk to the police by which time they were not interested. The lies, bullshit and bravado from him when he turned himself in was unbelievable, even more unbelievable to me is he never even spent 1 night in jail and then refused to comply with the insurance company so the widow of father of the deceased could not get any compensation.

This wasnt some scumbag meth head either, this is a teacher in the local school and one of the kids he killed was a student of his.

We really come from different worlds.

Is he still alive? If so why?

Every single Thai know this. If in a serious accident, flee the scene. Then show yourself up at the nearest police station to report the accident after 2 days.

Just show me one case that driver did not flee the scene. I will prove to you that he/she is Farang.

Thats exactly what happened to the drunk driver that killed 3 members of my gf's family. He left his wrecked car at the scene and hid for a few days then came to talk to the police by which time they were not interested. The lies, bullshit and bravado from him when he turned himself in was unbelievable, even more unbelievable to me is he never even spent 1 night in jail and then refused to comply with the insurance company so the widow of father of the deceased could not get any compensation.

This wasnt some scumbag meth head either, this is a teacher in the local school and one of the kids he killed was a student of his.

We really come from different worlds.

Is he still alive? If so why?

After he turned himself in he said to my gf's family that he had killed 8 other people by hit and runs before but because he has friends in high places he will never go to jail. Showed absolutely no remorse and sounded like he was being quite condescending about the whole thing despite being 100% his fault.

Someone shot him in a drive by about 4 weeks ago and he got out of hospital recently. I guess one of the 8 families whose lives he had destroyed finally saved up enough money. We'll see if he is still so cocky now as there is still the settlement with my gf's family pending and perhaps now he will think about things a bit differently.

Thai drivers seem to have no respect at all for riders of motorbikes. Why? Because if there's an accident, they can always carry on driving. Too many people here have no consideration for the well-being of others. Thai Rak Thai is a joke. I've seen families tear themselves apart over stealing land and money from each other. Thailand isn't a failed state, but it is a failed society.

Friend of mine stopped to help someone who was knocked off their moterbike and got accused of causing it.

That's great eh? It's not surprising anyway, being aware of how the locals behave, this just show coherence.

I will still stop if i see anyone in need, perfectly aware that very likely not even a simple "thank you" would be said, having done something good and the feeling that comes from it already is a reward.

If however somebody it's so dishonest and evil to do something like that, then an even greater effort should be made to make them feel on their skin that those act of cowardice can be even worse of whatever accident might have already happened to them.

There are already many mini-cameras on sale for car and motocy, they can act as a sort of "black box", unfortunately they are overpriced for what they do, but if you are good at diy, making something better and cheaper shouldn't be that hard, i am thinking about it from a while now...cool.png

You can buy mini spy cameras that will fit on your dashboard or helmet and record in high definition for under £30 ( 1500 Baht) on places like e-bay & Amazon. They come with a car charger too. The cameras are the size of a key fob. I bought one recently and they work very well.

For a review of these look here if the url is allowed

or go to Utube and look for

No. 11 720p 808

If you used one of those when driving at the very least you could have fun viewing other drivers idiotic mistakes or maybe have proof of an accident.

R.I.P to the Swede.

ignorance of international traffic regulation

There are international traffic regulations ?....I would imagine these would make interesting reading, please give a link....how is driving of different side of the road addressed ?

I believe accepted etiquette is that you drive on the same different side of the road as everyone else in whatever country you are in at the time. In Thailand of course some people drive on the different and/or same different side of the road.

Hope this helps.

Of course condolences to the family of this poor man.

Edited by kimamey

Lots of Thai bashing, not seen anything to suggest it was a Thai driver.

Yes i agree, i am sure it must have been a falang, but even if it was a thai, then it's because he was badly influenced by a falang otherways it wouldn't have happened ! laugh.png

I would have probably legged it in the same situation - 'no dents on my truck'

I would suggest that you, sir, are some what illiterate. I'll has a comma. Do not assume lack of education suggests lack of caring. i am not drunk and I am, most definitely, not illiterate. I do however care about the value of life. You, obviously, do not.

Actually "I'll" has an apostrophe not a comma!

I knew him and his body will be cremated today. He drove on a 4 lane road right after the Tesco, when a woman on a motorbike wanted to turn right to a gas station, where she works when the pick up truck hit her first.

Her injuries were so bad that they had to amputate one leg, not sure about her physical condition now.

Looks like the pick up driver hit the Swede right afterwards, he died on the spot.

Rest in PEACE. Live to Ride- Ride to Live. Hope there're bikes in heaven............jap.gif .

I would suggest that you, sir, are some what illiterate. I'll has a comma. Do not assume lack of education suggests lack of caring. i am not drunk and I am, most definitely, not illiterate. I do however care about the value of life. You, obviously, do not.

Didnt realise the grammer nazi's were up and about so early on a Sunday morning...."timewilltell"....you are ok, its only Sunday today, dont think you need to be back in class until tomorrow

Didnt realise the grammer nazi's were up and about so early on a Sunday morning...."timewilltell"....you are ok, its only Sunday today, dont think you need to be back in class until tomorrow

I guess he calls it an exciting life. Hang on, I'll give him a bit of a lift.

Have a good dey, timewilltell

(There, made your day/dey?)

Wasn't the topic about a Swede who got killed in a crash? What's wrong with you guys? <deleted> cares about your Grammar BS? jap.gif

Flee an accident scene is a standard practice in Thailand.

It got nothing to do with responsibility.

It is a unique culture for Thai.

I don't know if it is in the Thai DNA, or was it written in the Thai highway code, or taught in school.

It has everything to do with responsibility. It's a citizen's responsibility to follow the law.

I find your claim that you can 'prove' someone is farang just because they didn't flee the scene quite astounding. Maybe the reason you think it has nothing to do with responsibility is because you aren't capable of logical thought?

I do not think that its about his logical thought. But all about experience of living in Thailand over a period of time. This 'running away' habit happens over and over again and again and do you know what. I have yet to see a single case of farang known to have run away ! angry.png

I do not think that its about his logical thought. But all about experience of living in Thailand over a period of time. This 'running away' habit happens over and over again and again and do you know what. I have yet to see a single case of farang known to have run away ! angry.png

Well, there's Khun Matt . . . but then he only did so because his wife told him to . . .

• Like 1

and another time a coward driver flee the scene ..... is it local practice to refuse to face your responsibilities ? Thai drivers think they are the best in the world , in a country where no one go to school for that purpose these daily accidents don't surprise me . Thai road are deadly , just be aware of this reality. I have been driving 20 years here and have seen so many mistakes , over speeding , racing between buses , ignorance of international traffic regulation etc ...etc .. the list is too long .

Almost certainly to avoid being found out as drunk or on drugs. They flee when they know they will eventually be caught is because they are drunk or on drugs and need to detoxify before giving themselves in. Presumably the penalty for fleeing the scene of an accident is less than driving whilst under the influence or in possession.

Leaving the scene of an accident is an offence in UK and Australia that i know of. So why is it not treated as an offence here. If they know that they will go to jail for running away, they would think twice. But as others here have said, when the person fronts up in a couple of days time, nothing is said. In fact i would'nt be surprised if the BiB did'nt treat them thankfully for saving them the job of having to search.

Wasn't the topic about a Swede who got killed in a crash? What's wrong with you guys? <deleted> cares about your Grammar BS? jap.gif

Actually, he was just having a go at the previous person who was correcting someone for saying Ill by saying that there was a missing comma I'LL when it was not a comma but an apostrophe so <deleted>, if you don't follow, just butt out !