Govt Raps WSJ Criticism Of PM Yingluck's Thai-Language Speech

webfact

Someone is doing so much spinning in this thread, I'd be surprised if he doesn't feel dizzy! dry.png

Of course, all of the discussion about translation merely distracts us from the real question: Do the Japanese have any confidence in Thailand's flood control measures? A second poorly managed, poorly controlled flood with decisions made by politicians rather than by engineers would be a major blow to the Thai economy.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complaints complaints and more complaints......has anyone complained when Obama spoke English to Chinese, Japanese and Russian audiences.

Or when Japan PM, Russia President/PM, France President all gave their speech in their respective mothers' tongue....

Blame it on Thaksin and Puea Thai again...WPFflags.gif

• Like 2

Complaints complaints and more complaints......has anyone complained when Obama spoke English to Chinese, Japanese and Russian audiences.

Or when Japan PM, Russia President/PM, France President all gave their speech in their respective mothers' tongue....

But when those speeches were given was there simultaneous translation or not?

With Yingluck's speech it seems there was not which was the whole point of the article

The difference is that when presidents or FM visit foreign countries and they choose to give speeches in their native tongue they have real time interpreters in the local language in order to be understood. They don't hand out a word document or PDF to their hosts leaving then to wonder where they are in the speech they are giving.

So who to blame for this brilliant decision, the Democrats, the red shirts, yellow shirts, or the people responsible for the protocol which is the PTP?

The Prime Minister of any country is entitled to speak in the language of that country. If he/she wants the message to be received by those present someone should be responsible for ensuring that translations are available. In this case I reluctantly must side with her.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

The Prime Minister of any country is entitled to speak in the language of that country. If he/she wants the message to be recieved by those present someone should be responsible for ensuring that translations are available. In this case I reluctantly must side with her.

Giving your statement the benifit of the doubt, as this was a confidence building mission on the PM's part do you think it would have been wise for the Thai delegation to insure translations with their Japanese counterparts? Or do you think that is the responsibility of the host country?

The Prime Minister of any country is entitled to speak in the language of that country. If he/she wants the message to be recieved by those present someone should be responsible for ensuring that translations are available. In this case I reluctantly must side with her.

Giving your statement the benifit of the doubt, as this was a confidence building mission on the PM's part do you think it would have been wise for the Thai delegation to insure translations with their Japanese counterparts? Or do you think that is the responsibility of the host country?

If he/she wants the message to be received by those present someone should be responsible for ensuring that translations are available. I think this explains it all

Edited by harrry

Yea, wot 'arry sez.

Posters here act as though this was a meeting at the UN or similar . . . should translations have been handed out prior to the speech? Of course, but that has nothing to do with Millionluck Megarich's English ability nor that she chose to deliver the speech in Thai.

As was previously mentioned, it is normal to hold a speech in one's own language, especially when the recipients are not English native speakers.

(The WSJ as a tool of the Dems? laugh.pngcheesy.gif )

• Like 1

If he/she wants the message to be received by those present someone should be responsible for ensuring that translations are available. I think this explains it all

Agreed.

Govt. raps WSJ criticism of PM's Thai-language speech, #1^

A little Opposition mischief making again? I suspect so. In a backhanded way trying to diminish Ms. Y., knowing full well British born Abhi's language proficiency. To highlight this little tidbit - a seven-minute speech for heaven's sake - says it all.

".............during her visit to Japan, after an article in The Wall Street Journal criticised Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's decision not to address the audience in English.

Complaining about not speaking English in a Japanese forumn....a bit of a reach. For this 'diminishment' to have traction, it needed English language as the put-down.

"Thani also questioned the reporter's motive in writing the article. "I sincerely hope this is not the direction to be taken by a respected newspaper such as yours," he concluded"

This gets at a question of who's "motive"? It is well known by many, that the foreign media socializes and lives in the world of the Amart, when in Thailand. They have little understanding of the mostly unilingual world of the PTP/UDD/Red Shirts. As a result, for example, when speaking to Europeans politically astute contacts, who nevertheless follow their domestic media reports on Thailand, it is often like talking to PADites. So this instance of a foreign reporter dumping on Ms. Y, indicated to me he/she is following the impulses of her buddies.

"The report also noted that US-educated Yingluck could have chosen to speak in English. "It could be, though, that Ms Yingluck wasn't entirely confident in English. A video of her greeting visiting US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Thailand last year by saying 'overcome' instead of 'welcome' got heavy play on YouTube," wrote the reporter.

And by inference, the unspoken agenda is to drive home the point that our buddy Abhi, wouldn't make this mistake. Forgetting the little fact he couldn't win a Thai election, if his life depended on it.

Seems quite a ridiculous conclusion. Can you explain why/how this is mischief making by the opposition? What are they doing, paying off journalists from the WSJ to write derogatory remarks rolleyes.gif

Yes, let me explain.

At risk of repeating what I said above, nobody is paying off a WSJ to write derogatory remarks, but the writing is nevertheless very uncomplimentary to Ms. Y and by inference, highlighting a strength of the R'song baggage laden, unelectable leader of the Opposition.

This is not because of a pay-off, but reflective of another Foreign reporter living in Amart social circles, unfamiliar with the unilingual. non-BKK PTP/UDD/Red Shirt world.

This incident given exposure in Thailand, focussing on an inconsequential language thing, and not content, promotes the Opposition agenda of diminishing the PM, hence Opposition mischief.

Hope that clarifies.

virtualtraveller, #29^

Journalist might seem to undermine her credibility but fact is she undermines her own credibility by being an inexperienced PM acting as a proxy.

She has done a hell-of-a-job as a PM, so if that is what inexperience does for ya, no problem.

Regarding the proxy thing, aside from the fact Abhi was the mother-of-all proxies, Ms. Y. was elected with all associations fully declared, even those hinting at proxy-ism.

Didn't seem to bother the voters any, in fact encouraged them. In that case, a proxy status was a considerable electoral strength. Not the case for Abhi obviously.

The reporter seemed to think that because she attended university in the USA Yingluck would be able to speak English. Poor misguided soul.

He should know better because she attended Kentucky State University.

A Post like this keeps reinforcing my point....that the entire article focus was to diminish Ms. Y.

Opposition agenda accomplish through a compliant and friendly foreign reporter hoping to thereby give it added value.......another instance of agenda laundering.

As someone said earlier - they should have sent an e-mail, would have left a better impression on Japanese than watching her talking for seven minutes to them in a language they don't understand. This is just dumb, boring, and extremely unprofessional, even rude.

And her main point was to convince them to put trust in her promises that her government can protect their investments from flood? She should have at least made those promises in a language they understand.

It doesn't matter what her supporters feel about this - what matters is the effect she made on Japanese investors, and from another report it appeared they were not convinced even before this episode.

Dumb, boring, extremely unprofessional, even rude.....Wow.

All that in a seven-minute speech, for which translation was available?

Intent of article undoubtedly achieved with volk666.

Edited by CalgaryII

(The WSJ as a tool of the Dems? laugh.pngcheesy.gif )

Yeah, it is pretty funny.

This a government that lied about populist campaign promises, but managed to slip a 23% reduction in corporate income tax through with virtually no press coverage, let alone protests. The WSJ must get hard at night at the very idea of being able to give empty promises to the poor while in reality every law you pass is designed to benefit the rich. If Republicans back home tried the same thing, lie to the poor, give tax cuts to the rich, and pardon the tax evasion of billionaires, there would be mass protests and every single news organization aside from Fox would be screaming their heads off, in Thailand not a peep is made by anyone. Dream situation for many back home, this poor reporter probably didn't get the memo.

• Like 1

otherstuff1957, #40^

"A second poorly managed, poorly controlled flood with decisions made by politicians rather than by engineers would be a major blow to the Thai economy"

"Poorly managed" compared to what, New Orleans?

Perhaps an analysis (if it was ever done) comparing Thailand's management of this disaster, compared to how other nations have managed their national disasters of similar magnitude, may show that Thailand under Ms. Y' stewardship did pretty dam_n well.

Certainly her hard work and empithatic leadership was second to none.

Denigrating Politicians in this case may reflect another agenda. I'm pretty sure Politicians did not make decisions in a vacuum. Professionals, including engineers would in all likelyhood have been extensively consulted.

What other agenda regarding politicians?........the agenda by non-Democracy types, seeking to denigrate electoral democracy by demonizing the result - politicians.

I think her brothers decision to have her give his speech in Thai was very wise . Have you heard her Engrish?

A drive-by smear of Ms. Y.

I admit her English isn't that great, but the brother decision thing, is certainly agenda without foundation in this instance.

Wow!!!

Red shirt writers on this forum worked harder than the PM or her staff did in making this spin.

Nice try, but the Japanese press was not impressed by 7 long minutes of BS.

The WSJ nailed it. The sales pitch went off like a lead baloon.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Red Shirt writers = spin

Iamsobad Post = not spin

Got it.

With Yingluck's speech it seems there was not which was the whole point of the article

The point of the article was to denigrate Ms. Y.

You trolled all of pages one and two with your silly rhetoric! What a waste. Even more of a waste is how pathetic it is with a foreign guy defending a nit wit unqualified, inexperienced, and poor excuse of a PM ...for what? The sake of your isaan bar girlfriend's opinions?

• Like 1

DP#25^

"............given the massive incompetence and corruption at every step of this government's misrule".

Wow.

You and I live in a different Universe, assuming we are both in Thailand.

Ms. Y and the PTP are stronger than ever, due to the governing competence they have shown thus far.

Should this continue, their re-election is guaranteed.

I think these comments reflect the Oppositional notions that if they and their elite are not Governing, it must be a shambles.

With an added proviso about how stupid the electorate must be.

Some day they will get off their high-horse of political conceit and arrogance, if they ever hope to resonate with those lowly voters.

It's a good thing she has you to blindly defend her in every turn regardless of what she does.

I'm not sure there's a "you" there. More likely it's a software program or someone's idea of "performance art".

• Like 1

The Japanese who work in Thailand for Japanese companies speak English in the workplace. I have a friend who has worked for a few different Japanese companies here. English is the common language. If the Japanese people spoke in Japanese to the Thais and the Thais spoke Thai to the Japanese, things wouldn't get done at work.

Yingluck speaking Thai for more than just a few minutes to a group of Japanese businessmen in Japan, without real-time translation, indicates unthoughtfulness, as it wastes their time. I'd be offended if I was one of them, and I'd feel less confidence and trust in whatever promises this Thai government makes from then on.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 2

Sing_Sling, #50

(The WSJ as a tool of the Dems?
laugh.pngcheesy.gif
)

Unwittingly so.

The home office accepts the reports from on-scene reporters in Thailand unquestioningly, and this is understandable.

Having read many that have been sent to me from overseas, a local yokel like me sees the bias of the social circles these foreign reporters revolve in.

The Prime Minister of any country is entitled to speak in the language of that country. If he/she wants the message to be received by those present someone should be responsible for ensuring that translations are available. In this case I reluctantly must side with her.

I always thought that when governmental bigwigs needed to get their message across they would bring their own translator or translation team to ensure that the proper message got across.

I thought this junket was something of a sales pitch to the Japanese to settle their nervousness about flooding in Thailand. The PM's (or flooding expert) should have been loaded with a history of flooding along with charts, pictures, representations of what the government is doing to prevent future business disruption.

I believe that if any of us were a Japanese business leader sitting in on this 7 minute monologue, we would continue to be very, very worried about flooding.

DP#25^

"............given the massive incompetence and corruption at every step of this government's misrule".

Wow.

Do not quote my posts without using the proper quote function. The sole reason you quote like this is to break up page format so your propaganda sticks out more. It's quite obvious what your thread flooding and messed up quoting in every single thread about Thaksin or his sister is designed to do.

• Like 2