How Many More Victims Must Die On Thailand's Public Buses?

webfact

EDITORIAL

How many more victims must die on public buses?

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Dangerous driving, poor training, badly maintained vehicles and few safety checks; it's time for a complete overhaul of the road transport system

After seven years of fighting in court, the father of a girl who died in a bus accident in 2004 has sent a strong message to bus operators and relevant government agencies. Nam Chotmanas, whose daughter fell from a public bus, said that he hoped that his daughter did not die in vain. Those responsible should learn from the case and improve safety regulations for public transportation.

Unfortunately, the case is unlikely be the last of its kind.

Nam lost his daughter, Piyatida Chotmanas, a 21-year-old senior student at ABAC University, because of the bus driver's recklessness and carelessness. Piyatida fell from a No 207 bus on September 14, 2004. The court ruled that the driver was negligent because he failed to close the door of the vehicle, and the bus company had failed to fix it, despite the fact that doors on public buses are intended to provide safety for passengers. Piyatida fell out of the bus, hitting her head on the pavement on Ramkhamhaeng Road, and died 10 days later from severe brain trauma.

Earlier this week, Piyatida's family was awarded Bt9.8-million in compensation plus interest from the Supreme Court. But her father Nam said that the money was not the issue. He decided to pursue the case to remind society of the poor service provided by public bus operators, for the sake of the safety of future passengers.

Unfortunately, public bus services have hardly improved since the day that Piyatida passed away. "It has been seven years since the tragedy struck our family and we still hear about accidents involving public buses and passenger vans," Nam said.

In fact, it was reported that after the accident, the reckless driver in question was allowed to return to work, driving a public bus, until the case went to court.

Still, the bus driver and the bus company are not the only ones to blame for the accident. The current public bus system, which involves a lot of concessions, results in an inferior service at the expense of the safety of passengers. The companies that win concessions to operate public services on certain routes do not strive to improve services or carry out proper vehicle maintenance. In addition, the contracted bus drivers are not trained to be responsible for the lives of the people they are carrying. Those drivers that are paid per journey completed are also more likely to drive recklessly in order to earn more money. The evidence is the tragedy of Piyatida.

It is ironic that while most public bus services here are operated via concessions, the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), which is responsible for issuing operating licenses, is still operating at a loss. The BMTA has to rely on subsidies. And it has not done a good job in supervising the bus operator to which it allocates concessions.

In addition, some concessions have been sub-contracted by profit-seeking transport operators. The operator at the lowest rung of the ladder therefore has to shoulder the burden of the sub-contracting fee as well as the normal operating costs such as fuel and maintenance. Some of these operators still try to cut the cost of the service to the passengers, thus affecting the final quality of service, including the standard of driver and condition of the vehicle. Consequently, millions of commuters' lives hang in the balance every day.

The Transport Ministry and other responsible agencies must take this issue seriously and start to overhaul the public bus service. This is not only to improve the quality and safety of public transportation, which is the state's duty, but also to encourage the public to use public transportation in order to maximise energy consumption.

Piyatida's premature death should serve as a powerful message about how human carelessness can result in tragedy. But the big question remains: Are we capable of heeding that message? Piyatida was a bright young student who was supposed to have a bright future ahead of her. She planned to continue her studies in Japan, and she was likely to have become a great credit to this country.

"On a personal note, the court victory is hardly a consolation," her father, Nam, said. "Imagine how I feel every time I am invited to a graduation or wedding party. I cannot help but think what might have happened if my daughter were still alive."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-10

As a user of the buses along Ramkhamhaeng road, I concur that just closing the doors would go a long way to help safety.

My personal observations are the doors seem to stay open for several reasons:

Greater air flow (in the non-aircon buses). The buses do get very hot.

For quicker entry and exit to and from the bus.

The entry and exit from the bus can be a challenge. Many times the drivers don't see a need to bring the bus to a complete stop, preferring to go as slowly as they can, while you exit. Wearing flip flops on exit can be a challenge, made worse by a broken roadside or footpath. Make sure you have both hands free for support.

Entry can also be challenging; Step down from the gutter, grab hold of the slowly moving bus, hope that the driver doesn't accelerate too fast or change lanes at an acute angle. Front or back door just as challenging.

Some small changes and enforcement of keeping doors closed would go a long way to keeping people safe. This unfortunate girl in the article must be one of many that has been hurt or killed in this way over the years.

I totally agree with this article , buses is Bangkok are as good as buses in some African countries , beside all those dead , accidents nothing has been done by any governments it seems BMTA is untouchable for some reasons. Its so easy to give money away without facing responsibilities and when profit is more important than public safety. Roads in Thailand are very dangerous , people have no idea how to react in accident situation, amount of death on road accidents is huge here involving buses , mini vans ( so far the worse) and normal cars. I have been driving 20 years without a scratch , oh but I been going for driving training .... that helps

As a user of the buses along Ramkhamhaeng road, I concur that just closing the doors would go a long way to help safety.

My personal observations are the doors seem to stay open for several reasons:

Greater air flow (in the non-aircon buses). The buses do get very hot.

For quicker entry and exit to and from the bus.

The entry and exit from the bus can be a challenge. Many times the drivers don't see a need to bring the bus to a complete stop, preferring to go as slowly as they can, while you exit. Wearing flip flops on exit can be a challenge, made worse by a broken roadside or footpath. Make sure you have both hands free for support.

Entry can also be challenging; Step down from the gutter, grab hold of the slowly moving bus, hope that the driver doesn't accelerate too fast or change lanes at an acute angle. Front or back door just as challenging.

Some small changes and enforcement of keeping doors closed would go a long way to keeping people safe. This unfortunate girl in the article must be one of many that has been hurt or killed in this way over the years.

The whole system is flowed. Unsafe buss operation will continue As long as they driver make commission based on the number of passenger he carries. One time I saw 2 bus with the same number racing around the cars to go to station to get more of passengers without regard to the traffic around them

Really you gets what you pay for.

In the Uk last year I paid £3.40 (190bt) for a 2k bus ride. In Bangkok, Ramkhamhaeng 2 district to Udon-Suk BTS about 6 or 7k I pay 7bt. For sure in the UK that bus and all the buses owned by this particular company would not be on the road and the doors are tied open.

jb1

• Like 2

Safety First in Thailand...that's their motto...yes, it's true...just look at all the Safety First signs placed everywhere...but watch out, many of these Safety First signs are placed in such a way that they create a safety hazard.

• Like 1

Things do change but it takes time. Many years ago when I was young and riding around on public buses I often had one foot on the lower step and one hand on the outside door railing. At the stops you would put one foot on the ground but keep the other in place so as not to lose your spot. Even though people got scraped off the side of the bus occasionally, at the time I couldn’t imagine that one day there would be doors and they would be closed. Things are much safer than they used to be and in the future we will no doubt look back to now and say the same thing.

It's not right to single out a particular bus company.

It's a cultural thing, not much sense of accountability or personal responsibility.

If there is an accident the driver runs away if he is able to, this is acceptable, says it all.

• Like 1

In answer to the headline. Just pick a number. I suggest at least 5 figures.

"Bus carrying foreign tourists from Chiang Mai bound for Khao San Rd hit toll booth on Asia Highway, 1 dead, 28 injured /TANN"

Well there's the first one.

We don't have to wait long.

So sad.

Maybe not a public bus but a van.

Edited by petedk

Is this another smart meaningless Editorial?

Until the laws of all areas are enforced, and believe me Thailand has laws (based upon the English and French laws of state, primarily), by the powers that be, such as bent coppers and lawyers, then there will be no change in the standards - permittting bus drivers and their colleagues to be tested for LV licenses, drug abuse and so forth.

It's a sad and unwitting, and certainly unneeded, editorial.

My hat goes off to the editor! Thanks, but no thanks.

-mel.

• Like 1

In the Uk last year I paid £3.40 (190bt) for a 2k bus ride. In Bangkok, Ramkhamhaeng 2 district to Udon-Suk BTS about 6 or 7k I pay 7bt. For sure in the UK that bus and all the buses owned by this particular company would not be on the road and the doors are tied open.

jb1

There's no point to comparing the price of anything in the UK, to Thailand. Economies as different as chalk and cheese.

Price has nothing to do with it. The problem in Thailand is there is NO enforcement of any safety standards (regarding maintenance of public service vehicles) and, probably more importantly, the ability of a Thai bus driver to get a license with a wai and a smile. Bad enough the driving test/license issue for bikes/cars is such a joke, without also handing them out to drivers of public service vehicles. In many countries, not only is the standard driving "test" very real and failable, but you also need to pass a very much stricter test to even be allowed behind the wheel of one of these things. Until Thailand takes the driving test seriously (and starts enforcing quality standards for the vehicles) there is only going to be more carnage.

And that is why I said you gets what you pays for?

jb1

In the Uk last year I paid £3.40 (190bt) for a 2k bus ride.

Thanks for that.

I'm off to UK for a holiday next month. Better take my hiking boots.....

Hey I've got a bus pass now. want to borrow it. lol

jb1

This quote has me confused:

The court ruled that the driver was negligent because he failed to close the door of the vehicle, and the bus company had failed to fix it, despite the fact that doors on public buses are intended to provide safety for passengers.

If the door was broken, how can the driver be negligent for not closing it? Short of refusing to drive the bus, I fail to see his fault in the door being broken.

The other point is, who has to pay? Will they pay?

"Bus carrying foreign tourists from Chiang Mai bound for Khao San Rd hit toll booth on Asia Highway, 1 dead, 28 injured /TANN"

So sad.

From the original "Bus carrying foreign tourists","28 injured".

It was a bus.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The problem is not the the maintenance of the buses it is the mentaility of the drivers.

The older buses are a lot safer because they simply cannot travel so fast.

The numebr 71 modern bus that travels the aforementioned route. Last week somchai was driving a Honda wave and this week he has a small sporty bus with a stereo system blasting out Isaan songs and his girlfriend collecting tickets.

Idiots at the wheel.

How do you improve it?.

Education. Training. Selection.

I am simply not convinced that if you were to take an entire European population, and replace Thailand's population, that these idiotic and unfortunate events would cease altogether; however, I would be willing to bet that the rate of occurrences would drop 200-fold compared to present rates.

POINT: You cannot blame human error on a mechanical device. It's how people are trained to get along with each other and to be conscientious of the consequences of their choices and actions. This is non-existent here, and there is no crisis or emergency until it is upon them.

The term "Born to be wild" takes on an entirely new definition when applied to the natives herein.

I would be interested in being apprised of how much of that money the deceased girl's family ever sees, and how long it takes to come into possession of it.

9.8 million is a lot cheaper than retrofitting out an entire fleet of buses and qualifying the drivers. The bean-counters from hell have earned their wages on this one. Don't believe me? Simply take a look at traffic and watch for a minute or two and you'll see; nothing has changed! I can also give you 9.8 million reasons now why those buses won't see any maintenance for a much longer time than before.

Incidentally, the article's title is incorrect. She died on the street where she her head struck the pavement. How she managed to fall out of a bus, unless she was the last sardine in the can, is beyond me, and partially her fault for assuming that position in the opening of a door on a fast moving vehicle, if that were the case. I've seen these idiots hanging out of baht buses and local buses like those pictures of Indians on the trains, and the leaf springs were inverted with the front wheels barely touching. Greed, compulsion and selfishness begets "victims" and enough entertainment for this evening's news.

This quote has me confused:

The court ruled that the driver was negligent because he failed to close the door of the vehicle, and the bus company had failed to fix it, despite the fact that doors on public buses are intended to provide safety for passengers.

If the door was broken, how can the driver be negligent for not closing it? Short of refusing to drive the bus, I fail to see his fault in the door being broken.

The other point is, who has to pay? Will they pay?

I'm sure the driver was confused too, in that he could have refused to drive an un-safe bus, given that he was probably a poorman with huge Thai education!!

In esssence, we know he wasn't at fault, but he doesn't have as much money as the bus owner.... case closed. :(

-mel.

• Like 1

So sad.

The van standards here are fairly good. It's the unqualified lunatics that drive them which is scary. They don't consider when driving that they are responsible for other peoples' lives. They merrily race each other, tailgate and wind in and out of lanes for fun.

When anybody gets in my car I for sure realise I am responsible for their lives, and I don't cut up van drivers or motorcyclists for a laugh - as I do when driving solo. ;)

-mel.

I don,t think theres a number. However, if someone with some degree of importance or influence were to perish on a bus, then changes may be made. Similarly, if some one of importance were hit by a bus whilst walking or in another vehicle, then maybe something would be done.

we just have to wait for such an event to occur.

I don,t think theres a number. However, if someone with some degree of importance or influence were to perish on a bus, then changes may be made. Similarly, if some one of importance were hit by a bus whilst walking or in another vehicle, then maybe something would be done.

People with 'degrees' of importance don't use public transport here, as they travel little, for fear of being attacked by University lecturers. They simply wear short skirts, get attention, and no accidents happen to them. However, they see thousands. c.f. Y. Thaksin wink.png

-mel.

Edit: an what an ass for calling his daugther Yingluck.......:P

Edited by MEL1

I've said for years that public transportation in Thailand is very risky, I've been on busses where the drivers were so intoxicated or drugged up it wasen't even funny. Many have been driving for extra long hours and it shows in thier attitudes and careless driving skills. Thailand seriously needs to require all commercial drivers pass random drug and alchol testing, they should also be required to run an accurate log book with thier driving hours recorded. Somebody needs to control public safety and make some laws, ones that need to be enforced. Is their even such an animal as Department of Transportation in Thailand? is so, what do they do? doesn't appear to be much!

I nominate Chalerm for this important task.

• Like 1

The populations of Thailand and the UK are broadly similar. Total road traffic deaths in the uk in 2010 were approx 2000, in Thailand 20,000. I think that statistic says it all. Until there is a tenfold increase in driver skills, awareness, consideration, safety awareness, road traffic rules awareness, common sense (as if!) etc. nothing much will change.

• Like 1