Best Mobile Internet In Phetchabun ?

MrMuddle

Can anyone tell me which is the fastest, most reliable mobile internet ( I use one of those 'dongle" things with a simcard in it), for the Phetchabun province ?

I currently pay for DTAC which advertises at 400 kbps, but my actual speed is in the 7 to 8 kbps range. I am really fed up with this, any help much appreciated, thank you.

Maybe check out Truemove H/CAT My or TOT?

You can view their coverage maps on their websites, or talk to neighbors. Petchabun province is quite large, so if you can narrow the location a bit people might be able to provide more details?

It would also help if you could tell us:

- what equipment you currently have, make and model number, more information is better than less.

- what you estimated monthly usage might be in MB of data

- what your applications are

- what your monthly budget is

Can anyone tell me which is the fastest, most reliable mobile internet ( I use one of those 'dongle" things with a simcard in it), for the Phetchabun province ?

I currently pay for DTAC which advertises at 400 kbps, but my actual speed is in the 7 to 8 kbps range. I am really fed up with this, any help much appreciated, thank you.

Where in Phetchabun are you it's a big province ?

May be able to help more if the location is known.

I'm about twenty five kms south of Phetchabun City,

The problem I've found, with checking out various companies is that their advertised speeds are nothing like what one actually gets !

I use a Lenovo laptop, and also a desktop PC, to access the net.

I am hoping to download quite a lot of stuff, (BBC podcasts, various music and hopefully video files, if the download speed is fast enough. I estimate 3Gbs per month useage, and I'd be happy to spend around 1000 Baht a month for decent speeds.

Thanks.

I'm about twenty five kms south of Phetchabun City,

The problem I've found, with checking out various companies is that their advertised speeds are nothing like what one actually gets !

I use a Lenovo laptop, and also a desktop PC, to access the net.

I am hoping to download quite a lot of stuff, (BBC podcasts, various music and hopefully video files, if the download speed is fast enough. I estimate 3Gbs per month useage, and I'd be happy to spend around 1000 Baht a month for decent speeds.

Thanks.

OK, so maybe you are looking at a USB air-card, or a MiFi device? Do you have one of these already? If so, can you provide the brand/model number?

It doesn't look like TOT has any towers nearby. Maybe you could look at the CAT My or TrueMove H coverage (these are the same network) websites to see if your location has 3G coverage. I would also recommend you speak with neighbors to see if any of them might be using 3G; typically they know what's available.

http://www.truemove-h.com/en//3gwifi_network_coverage.aspx

http://www.mybycat.com/area.php?id=25&cid=19

Apologies for the delay in replying, my internet hasn't been working at all for the past couple of days.

I use a USB dongle witha DTAC sim card. The device name is "RICH", but there are no other details of type, capacity or model number on it. I'm the only person in my small village with internet, (the only farang in the village !), so that option is unfortunately a non-starter. I'll have a look at TrueMove's coverage, the only problem I have with them is when we enquired in town about them, the representative told us we can only cancel their service if we go to Phitsanulok office, which is 3 hours away. Thanks to all for replies / advice.

• 4 weeks later...

You are most likely out of the Phetchabun City 3g coverage area and are reciving EDGE speeds...

http://dtac.co.th/3g/coverage.php

The map is in thai but you can compare it with a google map in english/thai...

It starts in Bangkok by default but if you zoom out you can see other 3g coverage areas including Phetchabun City...

This would be the same as using a cell phone to tether to the computer and is what i do for internet... In Wichianbury i get about a third of the speed i do while in Bangkok or Chonburi where i get 3g... It is actually quite faster but they cap your speed after the forst few Gb's of usage depending on the plan you use and i use that up very quickly...

http://dtac.co.th/3g/aircard-package-en.php

http://dtac.co.th/3g/smartphone-package-en.php

DTAC is the best option if you use allot of data as they are the only Unlimited package i know of... The rest will charge you after your quota rather then cap your speed at 384 Kbps for 3g... And if you are on edge yo should be getting 50-129 Kbps on average unless you are really far from a cell tower...

I use http://performance.toast.net/ to check my speed and get around 100+ K on EDGE and 300+ K on 3g when capped...

If you really need faster internet your only option is to get an ADSL line... Not a mobile solution, and you will need a thai native to sign off on the installation if there is no land phone line existing where you are staying... Otherwise you are stuck with EDGE speeds... !!

Hope that helps... !!

I live in the boonies too. I suffered with Crapstar for several years and then relied on EDGE. I use both AIS and Dtac SIM cards. They are cheap and having both was no burden. I then changed to CDMA EVDO which is much faster than EDGE but unfortunately is going to be phased out. That's a shame because for the past several months it has been pretty good. Apparently with people going to 3G the load is lighter. True has no signal here and Dtac is normally faster than AIS but not always. True/CAT promised to have 3G in this area in February. It hasn't happened. There are no land lines in this area. My choices are VERY limited.