UK pensions

1 hour ago, billzant said:

My immediate personal reaction is that it is up to the British government to pay the pensions that people are entitled to based on qualifications criteria. 

I don't think it would be politically sound for the government to say they are not paying because some governments pay out welfare/hardship allowance to make up for the British government not paying entitlement. Does anyone know of an instance where the British government has said they are not paying because it would help Canada and Australia .... and elsewhere?

Listening to the Jeremy Vine interview it sounded to me that the Canada payment did not match how much she was losing because her pension has been frozen. Don't know though.  Link to interview in a comment I made on p325.

Being frozen is an injustice. I read, I think it was on the all party campaigning group site, that inertia was why they didn't pay - never have so why start now. To overcome such inertia shaming seems a good tactic. A 93-year-old meeting MPs and promoting the issue seemed to me a good way of shaming - see @pensionjustice.  500m GBP is a small amount if enough shame could be created.

'

500m GBP is a small amount if enough shame could be created.'

I can't imagine this figure would be enough to compensate for lost years.

Is this the cost to simply uprate (without any retrospective payments)?

I think where successive attempts have gone wrong is insisting on full uprate, or worse still back payments. A partial uprate- where payments start again from their present level (what they are receiving today) would have happened by now.

Sometimes you just have to accept a compromise, because there is unfortunately no legal case here.

It's wrong, I know, but... by insisting on nothing less than full restitution one not only reduces the chance of receiving at least some restitution but ensures other retirees and future retirees also lose out.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, billzant said:

My immediate personal reaction is that it is up to the British government to pay the pensions that people are entitled to based on qualifications criteria. 

I don't think it would be politically sound for the government to say they are not paying because some governments pay out welfare/hardship allowance to make up for the British government not paying entitlement. Does anyone know of an instance where the British government has said they are not paying because it would help Canada and Australia .... and elsewhere?

Listening to the Jeremy Vine interview it sounded to me that the Canada payment did not match how much she was losing because her pension has been frozen. Don't know though.  Link to interview in a comment I made on p325.

Being frozen is an injustice. I read, I think it was on the all party campaigning group site, that inertia was why they didn't pay - never have so why start now. To overcome such inertia shaming seems a good tactic. A 93-year-old meeting MPs and promoting the issue seemed to me a good way of shaming - see @pensionjustice.  500m GBP is a small amount if enough shame could be created.

In the case of Anne from Canada there is no shaming. Anne made a choice to move and live in Canada , receives welfare from the Canadian government to help her maintain a minimum Canadian standard of living . 

There could be a valid argument if the uprating improved the finances of the individual.

Any potential uprating would simply offset the Canadian welfare , thus it would be money from UK government going to the Canadian government . How can that be fair on UK citizens who would be paying. 

11 minutes ago, steve187 said:

that's not the point, the point is its unfair to upgrade some and not others. The UK government are taking the p**s with expats, pensions and healthcare

Currently expat pensioners receive entitlement under existing UK law.

The claim is that this is unfair , and the law should be changed. It could be argued to change the law to unfreeze the pensions would be unfair on the UK taxpayer (money would move from one government to the other) .

• Confused 1

"In the case of Anne from Canada there is no shaming. Anne made a choice to move and live in Canada , receives welfare from the Canadian government to help her maintain a minimum Canadian standard of living . 

There could be a valid argument if the uprating improved the finances of the individual.

Any potential uprating would simply offset the Canadian welfare , thus it would be money from UK government going to the Canadian government . How can that be fair on UK citizens who would be paying. "

Personally I think Anne, as a single elderly person, has the right to choose to live near her family without losing pension entitlement, she moved when she was 76. I believe a pension is earned by right, by work, and in Anne's case military service. I think the government pension service has a different view of "entitlement" although I am not sure.

Cleopatra we are both speculating as to the figures for the second paragraph - as I previously said I got the feeling that if she got the uprating she would be better off but not the full amount . The question would not have arisen if the situation had been just in the first place ie that there was the uprating she was (we are) entitled to. 

Cleopatra, surely justice to British people has to be the byword, and not government filling the coffers of other governments. Legally the British government does not have to pay the uprating, but this is an unjust law. Pensions are part of the government budget as a whole, it is not a self-sustaining compartment based on NI contributions. If NI contributions fall below the required pension budget the government by law is required to find the pension money from elsewhere to fulfil their commitment - confirmed by advice from the National Pensioners' Association. 500000 British people are losing out, and yet drones used in action in the Middle East cost the budget far more (https://dronewars.net/2018/02/26/cost-of-uk-air-and-drone-strikes-in-iraq-and-syria-reach-1-75-billion/)

When I retired to Thailand I was aware that my pension was frozen, of course I didn't like it but it was part of my decision. However I became incensed when I learnt that pensions were not frozen in the Phillipines. Then the question of reciprocal agreements arose, and that there is no apparent logic to these, and because of this lack of logic some citizens (pensioners in different countries) are being treated unjustly. Although it is not the practise it is my view that governments should be looking after people with a certain level of justice. It is not just that in Thailand and the Phillipines the pensions over time will be vastly different.

In the case of Canada, Australia and I believe South Africa it is far worse because there is inflation in those countries on a par with the inflation in the UK.

• Like 1

"It could be argued to change the law to unfreeze the pensions would be unfair on the UK taxpayer (money would move from one government to the other) ."

Cleopatra, In such an unjust situation to place such emphasis on this transfer of money into government coffers to me sounds dubious. The Canadian government offers a welfare payment because British law is not just and you are concerned that SOME of the British money goes to the Canadian government - I suspect more would go to Anne. The Canadian government welfare payment is being replaced by Anne's entitlement, simply to see it as a government transfer ignores the lack of justice and the personal suffering caused to Anne who is losing 50GBP a week because she is not uprated.

"Many of us here are still UK tax payers!"

I personally would prefer to see our government use those taxes in a just way, this frozen pension is not just. There are many unjust ways our taxes are used (https://dronewars.net/2018/02/26/cost-of-uk-air-and-drone-strikes-in-iraq-and-syria-reach-1-75-billion/). 500,000 people are treated unjustly, reparation is relatively cheap, that is the issue.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, superal said:

Does anyone know the latest news on Anne's appeal ?

So what is the logic of pension freezing ? In a court of law the UK government would surely lose the case as it is an unqualified injustice and discriminates against retirees freedom of choice of residence . Having worked all their lives in the UK and made mandatory N.I. contributions they are being treated like cast offs who no longer matter . 

Indeed there could be a counter claim for higher pensions for those living abroad as they do not use the NHS / regular doctors appointments / cold weather payments / home help /and for non house owners the Gov does not have the onus of providing accommodation  etc

Is the UK the only country that freezes pensions ?  It feels like legalised fraud . Maybe should play the game and open a bank account in the Philippines plus a pals address there .

Anne is not appealing , but appearing as a person affected , by the campaign to unfreeze pensions.

The pension freezing have been challenged in court and the gov. position upheld.

Discrimination in itself is not unlawful, it is the basis of the discrimination which may be unlawfull. For example a landlord may state no pets, this is not unlawful but discriminates against pet owners

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Anne is not appealing , but appearing as a person affected , by the campaign to unfreeze pensions.

The pension freezing have been challenged in court and the gov. position upheld.

Discrimination in itself is not unlawful, it is the basis of the discrimination which may be unlawfull. For example a landlord may state no pets, this is not unlawful but discriminates against pet owners

But in this case the discrimination of UK retirees , who have chosen to live abroad for what ever reason , may in some cases have a profound effect on their lives / welfare and that is within the context of discrimination . Below extract from the Cambridge English Dictionary

treating a person or particular group of people differently, especially in a worse way from the way in which you treat other people, because of their skin colour, sex, sexuality, etc.: racial/sex/age

It seems the Government will not concede , however if a retiree returns to the UK for 6 months their pension will be brought up to date . Just wondering if that would work if the retiree went to a reciprocal country instead of the UK for the 6 month period i.e. for those of us in Thailand went to the Philippines ? Low cost travel and living expenses as opposed to a UK trip.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, superal said:

But in this case the discrimination of UK retirees , who have chosen to live abroad for what ever reason , may in some cases have a profound effect on their lives / welfare and that is within the context of discrimination . Below extract from the Cambridge English Dictionary

treating a person or particular group of people differently, especially in a worse way from the way in which you treat other people, because of their skin colour, sex, sexuality, etc.: racial/sex/age

It seems the Government will not concede , however if a retiree returns to the UK for 6 months their pension will be brought up to date . Just wondering if that would work if the retiree went to a reciprocal country instead of the UK for the 6 month period i.e. for those of us in Thailand went to the Philippines ? Low cost travel and living expenses as opposed to a UK trip.

where does it fall into the definition unlawful discrimination

8 minutes ago, superal said:

Yes. I had it confirmed by the UK pensions office that if I retired to the Philippines, my pension would be unfrozen. Presumably, you would have to maintain an address there, and there could be other requirements to satisfy the Pensions office that I didn't pursue at the time (early 2018).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, billzant said:

As far as I understand it what was upheld by various courts was that:-

"not uprating" (frozen pensions) was not unlawful.

This basically says that the British government by paying frozen pensions are not breaking the law that the British government made.

The law is unjust and needs to change. And that is the purpose of the campaign that Anne is the figurehead of.

In my view this is a clear example of laws that are unjust. If people defend the British government over frozen pensions (for whatever reason) they are defending unjust laws. Anyone is entitled to defend injustice, but one has to ask why.

Remember the frozen pension is unjust, that is all that is needed to be known.

My argument is the campaign has to be objective.Putting Anne forward as the figurehead is a poor example , Anne receives a UK state pension along with a Canadian welfare payment , 

25 minutes ago, superal said:

Just wondering if that would work if the retiree went to a reciprocal country instead of the UK for the 6 month period i.e. for those of us in Thailand went to the Philippines ?

According to a recent post on one of the consortium's FB pages the only places where you cannot temporarily upgrade are USA and Bermuda.

HTH

Retired expats calling for an end to a squeeze on their pensions have handed in a 200,000-signature petition to Downing Street.

Around 520,000 expats have had their pension frozen at the level it was at when they left the UK, rather than being increased in line with payments to those who remained in the country.

Second World War veteran Anne Puckridge, a 93-year-old who emigrated to Calgary in Canada in 2001 to be near to her daughter, was among the group of expats and campaigners who delivered the petition on Wednesday....

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/national/17192216.petition-calls-for-expat-pensioners-to-get-same-payments-as-those-who-stay-in-uk/

36 minutes ago, billzant said:

"My argument is the campaign has to be objective.Putting Anne forward as the figurehead is a poor example , Anne receives a UK state pension along with a Canadian welfare payment ,"

Cleopatra, The way you are stating this is still biased as you persist in suggesting she has a pension and welfare. She does not have her entitled full pension, she has a partial pension, 76 GBP instead of 120+GBP. She has an additional welfare payment from Canada that in total gives her less than the proper pension (120+GBP).

She is also a good figurehead because she is 93 years old, is well-spoken, in the military for a time, and worked until she was 76. And then her life was disadvantaged by the frozen pension issue when she just wanted to be close to her family in her final years

Cleopatra, I wonder why you persist with this bias that ignores the injustice. If your pension is frozen you should be thanking her for all the work she has done for us. I have done so in a token way, through her twitter account.

It is not bias, Anne is receiving a UK state pension which she has contributed to , and is also entitled to the Canadian Security pension which only requires time spent In Canada ,plus any additional qualifying GIS.

It is disingenuous for the campaign to give the impression Anne is reliant on the UK state pension alone.

3 hours ago, superal said:

If a retiree returns to the U.K for just one day,they are entitled to the upgraded rate for that day. Ridiculous I know, but that’s how the British government discriminated against its own citizens.