UK pensions

The government uses a different bank to transfer the pension and if you don't tell them they will buy THB in the UK and transfer that so you will get less pension as the charge for money change in the UK will be paid by you.

I think you will find that the pension will only be paid in Baht if you have it paid into a Thai bank, I don't think they will send GBP.

My Civil Service Pension is paid the same way, I did ask that my pension was paid in GBP but I was advised that it's a contractual obligation with the Cabinet Office to purchase the local currency in the UK.

I'm better off having my Civil Service Pension paid into my IOM bank, even allowing for the £20 transmission fee, my State Pension will also go into my IOM account.

Hi good morning

I get a pension from 3 souces ( different countries ) The transmission fees add up, Would it be better to get all paid to a UK bank\

and draw via atm,what do you think?

@green job,

I currently have two pensions paid into the same UK bank. When I'm 65 I'll have 4 pensions all being paid into the same UK bank.

I have a Bangkok Bank Savings Account in Thailand, with a debit card to allow ATM withdrawals in baht.

Bangkok bank has a London branch. Once a year I transfer funds from my UK bank to the Bangkok bank in London with no charges from either bank.

The BKK branch in London then transfer the funds to my Thailand bank account in sterling, for a fixed fee of £15.

BKK in Thailand then convert the sterling into baht to get the best possible exchange rate and an exchange fee of less than 200 baht.

Total cost is about £19 for all transfer and exchange fees and I transfer greater than £10,000 per annum.

Using a UK debit card to make ATM withdrawals in Thailand is expensive over a period of time because of the charges incurred.

Transfer your pension(s) into one UK bank and open a Thai bank account to do transfers, ensuring the conversion from £ to Baht is made by your Thai bank.

I use Azimo £1 transfer 2% spread Did use Transfer wise but they stopped dealing in Baht ,no spread with them £7 max for £1000

The government uses a different bank to transfer the pension and if you don't tell them they will buy THB in the UK and transfer that so you will get less pension as the charge for money change in the UK will be paid by you.

I think you will find that the pension will only be paid in Baht if you have it paid into a Thai bank, I don't think they will send GBP.

My Civil Service Pension is paid the same way, I did ask that my pension was paid in GBP but I was advised that it's a contractual obligation with the Cabinet Office to purchase the local currency in the UK.

I'm better off having my Civil Service Pension paid into my IOM bank, even allowing for the £20 transmission fee, my State Pension will also go into my IOM account.

Hi good morning

I get a pension from 3 souces ( different countries ) The transmission fees add up, Would it be better to get all paid to a UK bank\

@green job,

I currently have two pensions paid into the same UK bank. When I'm 65 I'll have 4 pensions all being paid into the same UK bank.

I have a Bangkok Bank Savings Account in Thailand, with a debit card to allow ATM withdrawals in baht.

Bangkok bank has a London branch. Once a year I transfer funds from my UK bank to the Bangkok bank in London with no charges from either bank.

The BKK branch in London then transfer the funds to my Thailand bank account in sterling, for a fixed fee of £15.

BKK in Thailand then convert the sterling into baht to get the best possible exchange rate and an exchange fee of less than 200 baht.

Total cost is about £19 for all transfer and exchange fees and I transfer greater than £10,000 per annum.

Using a UK debit card to make ATM withdrawals in Thailand is expensive over a period of time because of the charges incurred.

Transfer your pension(s) into one UK bank and open a Thai bank account to do transfers, ensuring the conversion from £ to Baht is made by your Thai bank.

Thanks, I am with the K bank over here,I shall have a word with them,Thanks again,and have a great Sunday

Here's the link for the BKK bank that explains the transfers from UK to Thailand.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromuk/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

Transferring from 3 different Counties could be tricky and expensive.

If you can afford to do so, try to limit the transfers to annually to keep charges to a minimum.

Edited by Faz

Faz @ Greenjob.

I do not know if you have tried this.

My pension ( Army ) is transferred direct to Thailand from source.

It costs the massive amount of £ 1.70 per month.

It might be worth speaking to your providers to see if they provide the same service.

I did this for 3 years but switched back after I realized that despite living in the electronic era bank holidays at either end can result in delays of up to 6 days before it arrives.

Edited by evadgib

Hi good morning

I get my pension from the DWP paid straight to my Thai bank account. It comes into my account at a better rate than SuperRich.

Not quite; The latter is immoral and illegal therefore will eventually be corrected whereas the terms and conditions of service prior to 1975 were contractual.... and included Rum smile.png

Not going to hold my breath on that one, if it ever happens I probably won't have any breath to hold.

Remember the rum. I was in the RAF and drew it twice, and not for cold weather conditions. I did my helicopter training with the navy and then in 70 I did some time on the Fearless out in the gulf. Junior ranks were not allowed it neat, one part rum to two parts water.

My brother is 3 years younger and he joined the navy, never drew a tot, finished 4 weeks before he was old enough.

• Like 1

Here's the link for the BKK bank that explains the transfers from UK to Thailand.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromuk/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

If you can afford to do so, try to limit the transfers to annually to keep charges to a minimum.

I get my pensions transferred directly to my KBank account monthly but out of interest I followed the BKK bank link.

The fees that BKK Bank charge are £20 per transaction if transferring GBP plus 0.25% per transaction (to a maximum of 200 baht) in Thailand.

That would cost me £60 a month + 600 THB.

Doing it the current way it costs me about £3 a transaction in the UK plus it looks like 300 THB for each transaction by KBank.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/ServicesChannel/SearchServiceChannel/Internet/Pages/K_CyberBanking_TranferMoney.aspx

Edited by billd766

Faz @ Greenjob.

It might be worth speaking to your providers to see if they provide the same service.

I did this for 3 years but switched back after I realized that despite living in the electronic era bank holidays at either end can result in delays of up to 6 days before it arrives.

Cannot say that I have the same experience evadgib.

As a rule of thumb mine usually hits my account in 2 working days. Although I am not in the habit of checking. So it is quite possible that there have been occasions when it has taken longer.

Horses for courses and I am happy with my current arrangement.

• Like 1

Not quite; The latter is immoral and illegal therefore will eventually be corrected whereas the terms and conditions of service prior to 1975 were contractual.... and included Rum smile.png

Not going to hold my breath on that one, if it ever happens I probably won't have any breath to hold.

Remember the rum. I was in the RAF and drew it twice, and not for cold weather conditions. I did my helicopter training with the navy and then in 70 I did some time on the Fearless out in the gulf. Junior ranks were not allowed it neat, one part rum to two parts water.

My brother is 3 years younger and he joined the navy, never drew a tot, finished 4 weeks before he was old enough.

Yes we also got a rum ration when on active service,1 tot per day,also when on patrol in the jungle when in base camp we sometimes mixed it with orangeade powder for a change.:)

• Like 1

I can feel the bottle of Pussers in my hand nowrolleyes.gif the last time I had a tot was in Looe, so not far away from where the Navy stored all their supplies, the stores have long gone now, Pussers still goes on but the last time I saw a bottle I had to be helped up from the floor!!

• Like 2

Sending money over costs between 10 and 20 GBP depending on who you are with and my experience is that although it is sent in seconds Thai banks stick in a holding account, I then ring them up and ask if you have the money? Yes what you want money for? Living! Sorry have to ask in case of money laundering. OK can I have the money in my account now? The rate is XXXXX ok or you want to wait? Put into my account now!!! No can do........tomorrow ok? Thsu they make a bit out of all of us the cheap, but think of the big picture how much it adds up to and what else can you do apart from bring cash with you?

ATM's charge 150bts per transaction, but, if you go inside with your passport you do not get charged 150 bts its free. The other side of the coin is that almost all UK providers charge you for use outside of the EU, typically 2& + 1 gbp which makes it expensive. Need to do your sums and see which is the best way to deal with the situation and then think if that will have other consequences in other areas.

Everyones situation is different so you need to think about yours in relation to the information you have got back, good luck.

I get my pensions transferred directly to my KBank account monthly but out of interest I followed the BKK bank link.

The fees that BKK Bank charge are £20 per transaction if transferring GBP plus 0.25% per transaction (to a maximum of 200 baht) in Thailand.

That would cost me £60 a month + 600 THB.

Doing it the current way it costs me about £3 a transaction in the UK plus it looks like 300 THB for each transaction by KBank.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/ServicesChannel/SearchServiceChannel/Internet/Pages/K_CyberBanking_TranferMoney.aspx

2 options of transfer with BKK, same day £20, 3 days £15.

If your talking about Government Pensions then they have special arrangements for overseas payments with no transaction charges, just a small exchange fee.

Of course using that method is a dead cert to have your pension frozen.

For those that want to avoid the pension freeze, alternative methods are required.

I can feel the bottle of Pussers in my hand nowrolleyes.gif the last time I had a tot was in Looe, so not far away from where the Navy stored all their supplies, the stores have long gone now, Pussers still goes on but the last time I saw a bottle I had to be helped up from the floor!!

The ration we got,came out of large stone flagons, They were kept under lock and key in the colour sergents store. Please tell me what Pussers rum is?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I can feel the bottle of Pussers in my hand now alt=rolleyes.gif> the last time I had a tot was in Looe, so not far away from where the Navy stored all their supplies, the stores have long gone now, Pussers still goes on but the last time I saw a bottle I had to be helped up from the floor!!

I can feel the bottle of Pussers in my hand now alt=rolleyes.gif> the last time I had a tot was in Looe, so not far away from where the Navy stored all their supplies, the stores have long gone now, Pussers still goes on but the last time I saw a bottle I had to be helped up from the floor!!

The ration we got,came out of large stone flagons, They were kept under lock and key in the colour sergents store. Please tell me what Pussers rum is?

Dave

I used to buy Pussers Rum that I bought from the grog shop around the corner when I was working in Taupo, New Zealand. I still have a beautifully decorated half bottle that I brought back in 2009 unopened.

Green Job. This link might help you but sad to say I have never found Pussers in Thailand at all.

https://www.pussers.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pusser%27s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tot_Day

I had a mate at RNAS Sembawang near the dockyard in Singapore back in the late 1960s. He was a Colour Sergeant in Her Majesties Royal Marines and he was in charge of dispensing the tots and he had bottles of the stuff in his cabin and he did share with his friends now and again.

• Like 2

To Billd766

Thanks for the info,sounds realy great stuff,

I spent 1 year at the JWS Kota Tingi 1964 and some time at Nee Soon camp Singapore from 1965 to 66 Sarawak then Singapore.

I remember the pissups at the Newzealand bar with many Americans and other forces (the only one with aircon ) also the Britannia naafi club opposite Raffels

and not to forget a 5 Dollar shag at Clarkes Key

Bill, you have made me both happy and sad at the same time! Pussers is the best rum in the world no question about it, after this every other rum tastes "rrough"

The Royal Navy had a huge underground cavern just outside Liskeard where it kept its supplies of Rum along with ammunition, its no longer used but the caverns have been turned into some sort of tourist attraction today, alas no rum!

Just have to make do with Sang Som eh?

There ends the lesson for today, the search for Pussers can now commence.

Bill, you have made me both happy and sad at the same time! Pussers is the best rum in the world no question about it, after this every other rum tastes "rrough"

The Royal Navy had a huge underground cavern just outside Liskeard where it kept its supplies of Rum along with ammunition, its no longer used but the caverns have been turned into some sort of tourist attraction today, alas no rum!

How would you compere Pussers Rum with the Sang son ? or myers. I like Rum but not the hangovers. Sang Song seems to be ok

How would you compere Pussers Rum with the Sang son ? or myers. I like Rum but not the hangovers. Sang Song seems to be ok

This is off topic and I do apologise for that but......

There is no real comparison between the two.

However I have a mate from Germany who brings me 2 x 1/2 litres of Stroh 80 rum.

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=2442

It tastes a bit like rum and raisin ice cream and is great with coke and ice but definitely a sipping drink. Definitely NOT for shooters or drinking straight. The litre lasts me a year as it doesn't come out that often nor do I share it if I can help it.

Sadly you cannot buy Stroh 80 in Thailand either.

Edited by billd766

This is off topic and I do apologise for that but......

There is no real comparison between the two.

However I have a mate from Germany who brings me 2 x 1/2 litres of Stroh 80 rum.

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=2442

It tastes a bit like rum and raisin ice cream and is great with coke and ice but definitely a sipping drink. Definitely NOT for shooters or drinking straight. The litre lasts me a year as it doesn't come out that often nor do I share it if I can help it.

Sadly you cannot buy Stroh 80 in Thailand either.

Thanks yes a bit off topic but never mind I know Stroh 80 well but thanks better stick with sang song

Pussers was 30 quid a bottle last time I saw it, Sang Som ( Spanish ) under 3 quid there is no comparison, Pensioners have to remember that. but, its better to have drunk and lost than never drunk at all, if you ever see it drink it then you will know.

Meanwhile those that only had to pay 30 (35!) years of NI cont rather than 47 had to make do with this during forays in Belize:

http://www.onebarrelrum.com

It looks quite tame on the website. 35 years ago it wasn't deemed safe to drink anything stronger than 3 barrel (it went from 5 to 1 barrel with 5 being the weakest). When I spillt some 1 barrel onto a wooden floor it took the varnish off the floorboards! smile.png

Edited by evadgib

Meanwhile those that only had to pay 30 (35!) years of NI cont rather than 47 had to make do with this during forays in Belize:

http://www.onebarrelrum.com

It looks quite tame on the website. 35 years ago it wasn't deemed safe to drink anything stronger than 3 barrel (it went from 5 to 1 barrel with 5 being the weakest). When I spillt some 1 barrel onto a wooden floor it took the varnish off the floorboards! smile.png

In the vague hope of trying to stay on topic.

I wonder how much 3 barrel you would get for your pension nowadays ??

Thank you for reviving long forgotten memories.

burp.gif

• Like 2

I am sure that one of the navy guys told me that the term 'pusser' was just slang for purser and was used generally for naval goods. They used to have 'pusser fags' often called 'blue liners'.

I think the senior ranks got a better grade of pusser rum than us mere minions.

...and this thread is about what, any more!

Does it realy matter,I am sure if someone had a Question they would ask,,,,, The forum has helped me smile.png

And it's helped me also. But new commers will read the last two pages and think it's a joke thread, nothing to do with UK Pensions whaatsoever and will look elsewhere, sad.

• Like 1

CM lighten up a bit, we have meandered down memory lane for a moment and some have learned a history lesson, sure we will be back on track very soon, perhaps you can bring some much sort after information on the pension front?

• Like 2

Faz @ Greenjob.

Did transfer today of £500 when FX was quoting 48.6, got 47.7,cost £1 off my debit card too (free),could do bank to bank but too long,3 to 4 days max into K bank who send SMS as it arrives Azimo. Transferwise was better,took 2 days, but no baht any more

...and this thread is about what, any more!

It remains dedicated to UK Pensions.

Service & War disability pensions, along with eligibility to NHS treatment for some conditions relating to the latter fall firmly within that category & if you look carefully at recent posts you'll see that there are subtle references confirming it. For those that may have missed it there are posters from all 3 services within the age range of 50-80 contributing to this board, inc some that did National Service.

Their 'normal' pensions are frozen.

HTH

51umgA1lCML.jpg

Edited by evadgib