UK pensions

Jip99, I think that if you returned to the UK for a year telling DWP you intented to stay, and had your pension brought up to the level current at that time as a result, then if you chose to go back to Thailand after that year then you would keep the uprated pension even if you told them you were going back. You would of course lose further increases as at present. It wouldn't be worth doing for a few quid a month increase, but there must be a cutoff point where it does become financially viable even allowing for the cost of living in the UK for that year.

I think the DWP rules are that if you return to the UK, whilst in receipt of a frozen pension, you are immediately uprated to receive the current UK pension. Should you then later (1/2/3 years or whatever) return to a "frozen pension" country, I believe your pension would be reduced to that which you initially received, and not re-frozen at the level currently being received..

If you return to the UK your pension is updated from that day. Should you return to Thailand within 2yrs your pension will revert to the amount you received before you entered the UK. However if you return to Thailand after two years and you are silly enough to inform them, then your pension will then be frozen at the amount you are then receiving at the date of your departure.

Does not have to be UK,anywhere that is not frozen.

Do not forget though to claim and submit form IPC SU 309 12/13. Last time I flew out of South Bend ,Texas,

USA there it was waiting on departure desk awaiting completion

• Like 1

Jip99, I think that if you returned to the UK for a year telling DWP you intented to stay, and had your pension brought up to the level current at that time as a result, then if you chose to go back to Thailand after that year then you would keep the uprated pension even if you told them you were going back. You would of course lose further increases as at present. It wouldn't be worth doing for a few quid a month increase, but there must be a cutoff point where it does become financially viable even allowing for the cost of living in the UK for that year.

I think the DWP rules are that if you return to the UK, whilst in receipt of a frozen pension, you are immediately uprated to receive the current UK pension. Should you then later (1/2/3 years or whatever) return to a "frozen pension" country, I believe your pension would be reduced to that which you initially received, and not re-frozen at the level currently being received..

If you return to the UK your pension is updated from that day. Should you return to Thailand within 2yrs your pension will revert to the amount you received before you entered the UK. However if you return to Thailand after two years and you are silly enough to inform them, then your pension will then be frozen at the amount you are then receiving at the date of your departure.

Does not have to be UK,anywhere that is not frozen.

Do not forget though to claim and submit form IPC SU 309 12/13. Last time I flew out of South Bend ,Texas,

USA there it was waiting on departure desk awaiting completion

Presumably that form will include your address,in your case Texas, therefore I assume they would be able to keep a check on you to confirm that you are still resident in Texas, and that you have not returned to a country were the pension is frozen.

BEREAVEMENT BENEFITS IN THAILAND

The Pensions Act 2014 became law on 14th May 2015, when it received the Royal Assent. It comes into force on 6th April 2016

With effect 6th April 2016, Thai Widows, living in Thailand, will not be eligible for any benefits under new laws which are known as Bereavement support payment. To be eligible to receive benefits (formerly known as bereavement benefits).....

(1) A person is entitled to a benefit called bereavement support payment if—

the person is ordinarily resident in Great Britain, or a specified territory, when the spouse or civil partner dies,

Thailand, unfortunately is NOT a specified territory.

• Like 2

The Pensions Act 2014 became law on 14th May 2015, when it received the Royal Assent. It comes into force on 6th April 2016

With effect 6th April 2016, Thai Widows, living in Thailand, will not be eligible for any benefits under new laws which are known as Bereavement support payment. To be eligible to receive benefits (formerly known as bereavement benefits).....

the person is ordinarily resident in Great Britain, or a specified territory, when the spouse or civil partner dies,

I may be wrong but I think this may lead to more people not advising the UK authorities of a death.

I may be wrong but I think this may lead to more people not advising the UK authorities of a death.

When a UK citizen dies in Thailand, it's inevitable the British Embassy will be informed by the authorities.

When a UK citizen dies in Thailand, it's inevitable the British Embassy will be informed by the authorities.

I am actually talking about the authorities in the UK i.e. DWP. I don't think the embassy advise them.

The British embassy needs to authorise the release of the deceased's body from a hospital.

Not so with a death at home. Any death of a foreign national or Thai citizen must be reported to the police within 24 hours. In the case of foreign nationals, the police will inform the appropriate Embassy and the next of kin or representative will be notified.

I am actually talking about the authorities in the UK i.e. DWP. I don't think the embassy advise them.

The British embassy needs to authorise the release of the deceased's body from a hospital.

Not so with a death at home. Any death of a foreign national or Thai citizen must be reported to the police within 24 hours. In the case of foreign nationals, the police will inform the appropriate Embassy and the next of kin or representative will be notified.

I'd be frankly amazed if the embassy didn't advise them!

The three lines of attack which will put the UK government's knickers in a twist are -

1) Article 1 Protocol 1 of the ECHR (right to property), and Article 8 (right to a family life). If you argue that your pension entitlement is de facto property - perhaps only possible if you actually paid the NI contributions, rather than being credited with them through being unemployed - then the courts and the government should view your pension in a way most consistent with your convention right. That, you'd think, would mean paying it uprated wherever you are.

2) You've a right to a family life. Should this be considered on the basis that you're a citizen, resident, or whichever of these is best consistent with your convention rights? Well, it's whichever: the Foreign Office's consular arrangements, for example, will be consistent, as are many other things. So - again - if the maintenance of your actual relationships, or your right to pursue or sustain relationships, is better sustained by uprating your pension then it should be. Inequality of treatment is less favourable to your convention rights.

3) Article 14 guarantees equal treatment. Treatment can't be arbitrary - differential treatment in comparable circumstances. Given that the government have already admitted that the reciprocal arrangements were established with certain countries and not others for no other reason than a civil servant tried to guess which countries people might retire to, you could argue that the continuation of rules based on this reckoning is arbitrary, and inconsistent with the convention.

Get legal - it really frightens them biggrin.png

NHS care for the over 70s by recent proposal being heavily restricted,which undoubtedly will be accepted if not already. The unblocking of frozen pensions will never happen

• Like 1

The three lines of attack which will put the UK government's knickers in a twist are -

1) Article 1 Protocol 1 of the ECHR (right to property), and Article 8 (right to a family life). If you argue that your pension entitlement is de facto property - perhaps only possible if you actually paid the NI contributions, rather than being credited with them through being unemployed - then the courts and the government should view your pension in a way most consistent with your convention right. That, you'd think, would mean paying it uprated wherever you are.

2) You've a right to a family life. Should this be considered on the basis that you're a citizen, resident, or whichever of these is best consistent with your convention rights? Well, it's whichever: the Foreign Office's consular arrangements, for example, will be consistent, as are many other things. So - again - if the maintenance of your actual relationships, or your right to pursue or sustain relationships, is better sustained by uprating your pension then it should be. Inequality of treatment is less favourable to your convention rights.

3) Article 14 guarantees equal treatment. Treatment can't be arbitrary - differential treatment in comparable circumstances. Given that the government have already admitted that the reciprocal arrangements were established with certain countries and not others for no other reason than a civil servant tried to guess which countries people might retire to, you could argue that the continuation of rules based on this reckoning is arbitrary, and inconsistent with the convention.

NHS care for the over 70s by recent proposal being heavily restricted,which undoubtedly will be accepted if not already. The unblocking of frozen pensions will never happen

That is inevitable. The elderly consume by far the most money in the NHS ( referring only to patients ). If nothing changes the NHS will fail or cost far too much.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

That is inevitable. The elderly consume by far the most money in the NHS ( referring only to patients ). If nothing changes the NHS will fail or cost far too much.

....and being starved of funds that will help alleviate medical problems as and when they arrive, just condemned to a slow and miserable demise

• Like 1

I have been reading this thread since it was opened..... have gone back and re-read, yet now it is time to fill out the forms I am unclear on a number of things....

Not living in any City here, not sure the Banks understand is also a problem.....

Have 2 Bank accounts that I can use here for my Pension, SCB Bank or BBK Bank...... but cannot understand the charge ? BBK Bank say [on phone] it is £35 + 2% on all transfers from UK, so far have been unable to get any answer from SCB Bank [getting a Thai friend to phone them today]...

looks like the option is being paid every 4 weeks or every 13 weeks ? so what would be cheaper [less charges] yet from what I'm reading on here many pay different charges... so confused

Next question, on the Pension Forms it asks for my Bank Full Address..... ?? asking a BKK Bank they say any branch address is all same ?? or is it the Branch where I opened the Account ? 1st account I opened in 1999, think I could find that Bank, but never used that Branch, 2nd have no idea where, 3rd in the Deposit Account, opened on Rama 4 in 2005 ? [Next to HSBC].. all accounts and Bank books I update at my nearest Branch and have done for many years.......... would there be a problem with Branch Code and my putting a different address ? as Bank say same same, but Branch codes in my books are different.. confused.

Again what type of account to transfer the Pension to ? normal Savings Account or Fixed deposit account ?

Is same with SCB have normal Savings Account + a Fixed deposit account..?

On the Pension Form is asks for IBAN code, both BBK Bank and SCB have no idea what this is ?? they both have given me a SWIFT code ?

Help Please

I have been reading this thread since it was opened..... have gone back and re-read, yet now it is time to fill out the forms I am unclear on a number of things....

Not living in any City here, not sure the Banks understand is also a problem.....

Have 2 Bank accounts that I can use here for my Pension, SCB Bank or BBK Bank...... but cannot understand the charge ? BBK Bank say [on phone] it is £35 + 2% on all transfers from UK, so far have been unable to get any answer from SCB Bank [getting a Thai friend to phone them today]...

looks like the option is being paid every 4 weeks or every 13 weeks ? so what would be cheaper [less charges] yet from what I'm reading on here many pay different charges... so confused

Next question, on the Pension Forms it asks for my Bank Full Address..... ?? asking a BKK Bank they say any branch address is all same ?? or is it the Branch where I opened the Account ? 1st account I opened in 1999, think I could find that Bank, but never used that Branch, 2nd have no idea where, 3rd in the Deposit Account, opened on Rama 4 in 2005 ? [Next to HSBC].. all accounts and Bank books I update at my nearest Branch and have done for many years.......... would there be a problem with Branch Code and my putting a different address ? as Bank say same same, but Branch codes in my books are different.. confused.

Again what type of account to transfer the Pension to ? normal Savings Account or Fixed deposit account ?

On the Pension Form is asks for IBAN code, both BBK Bank and SCB have no idea what this is ?? they both have given me a SWIFT code ?

Help Please

Those charges are nonsense.

Presumably you will have the pension remitted by DWP (via Citibank) in Thai Baht. Charges on a clean inward payment (ie in the host country) should be minimal. If a payment arrives in Sterling the typical charge is 0.25% capped at 500 Baht (K Bank charge another 0.1%).

Your bank branch address can be found by Googling the bank and town.

IBAN does not apply in Thailand nor do branch codes (as far as payments are concerned) - the SWIFT code is what you need ie Kasikorn Bank is KASITHBKXXX - again Google SWIFT codes Thailand to confirm.

The SWIFT code and your bank account number will get the payment here.

• Like 2

Help Please

Presumably you will have the pension remitted by DWP (via Citibank) in Thai Baht. Charges on a clean inward payment (ie in the host country) should be minimal. If a payment arrives in Sterling the typical charge is 0.25% capped at 500 Baht (K Bank charge another 0.1%).

IBAN does not apply in Thailand nor do branch codes (as far as payments are concerned) - the SWIFT code is what you need ie Kasikorn Bank is KASITHBKXXX - again Google SWIFT codes Thailand to confirm.

Thanks.

Lots of phone calls this morning by a Thai = better answers....

Looks like best is to use BKK Bank London = 200 - 300 baht max total charge on transfers of state pensions... SCB is 600 baht + UK to Thailand Bank charge of £ 25..

Help Please

Thanks.

Looks like best is to use BKK Bank London = 200 - 300 baht max total charge on transfers of state pensions... SCB is 600 baht + UK to Thailand Bank charge of £ 25..

If you have not seen it already BKK bank web site is very informative - http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

You also want to deposit to your Savings account - not your fixed account (don't think it would work if you tried)

Help Please

Thanks.

I does not matter as there are no charge on the transfer. The DWP will send Thai baht,via their payment processor, to the bank head office and that will come to your account via Autobaht.

Thailand only uses 8 character SWIFT codes for personal accounts, which is head office. If a branch were to be included it would become an 11 character SWIFT code as you normally see in the UK.

The receiving bank will apply a small handling charge for the incoming payment but it is minimal. I have my pension paid this way and the rate into my account is similar to Superrich.

The important information is the SWIFT code and the account number.

Help Please

Thanks.

I does not matter as there are no charge on the transfer. The DWP will send Thai baht,via their payment processor, to the bank head office and that will come to your account via Autobaht.

Thailand only uses 8 character SWIFT codes for personal accounts, which is head office. If a branch were to be included it would become an 11 character SWIFT code as you normally see in the UK.

The receiving bank will apply a small handling charge for the incoming payment but it is minimal. I have my pension paid this way and the rate into my account is similar to Superrich.

I think this is the main point that ignis needs to understand - send the state pension in Baht.

(The wrong questions have been asked as these have focused on remitting Sterling from the UK.)

Thanks.

I think this is the main point that ignis needs to understand - send the state pension in Baht.

(The wrong questions have been asked as these have focused on remitting Sterling from the UK.)

Exactly, this is what it says in the notes.

Notes to help you fill in Part 9 of IPC BR1 Directgov
What is International Pensions Direct Payment?
International Pensions Direct Payment is a way of paying your pension or benefit in local currency
direct to an account of your choice outside the United Kingdom.
The advantages
Getting your money paid in this way has many advantages. We recommend you get your money this way
because:
• it is secure
• it is convenient
you will benefit from competitive exchange rates based on bulk buying of currency
• there are no postal delays
• there are no cheque clearance delays
• it is less expensive for us to arrange, which saves taxpayers’ money.
How does it work?
The £ sterling value of your money will be converted to local currency and paid directly to your
account. Your pension or benefit will be paid in arrears.
You can choose to be paid at the end of 4 or 13 weeks
If you choose to be paid every 4 weeks
The money will be paid into an account for you in the week following each 4 week period. Your first
payment might cover a period of 2 to 5 weeks, but after this all payments will cover a 4 week
period.
If you choose to be paid every 13 weeks
The money will be paid into an account for you in the week following each 13 week period. Your
first payment might cover a period of 2 to 14 weeks, but after this all payments will cover a 13
week period.
But if you are only going to get a small State Pension or benefit you will be paid once a year.
You can work out what exchange rate has been used for each payment by dividing the amount by the £
sterling value of your money.

Quote "The important information is the SWIFT code and the account number." unquote....and the exact name of your account, I think.

We are largely numbers these days although the account name is important.

I have made transfers in Thailand where the name I quoted only bore a passing resemblance to the actual account name. In the UK I had a standing order for ground rent returned because the name I had been given did not exactly match the actual account name - so yes, the account name is important. My own transfers from HSBC to Kasikorn quote a shortened christian name, whereas the account has two full christian names - always gets through.

The SWIFT transfer is automatic and based on numbers, the branch code in Thailand is the last few digits of the account code. This is an international system and because of differing character sets there is no text validation on the transaction. Text is purely information to the respective banks.

Online payments in the UK are a bit different, no Swift code involved. The name and address submitted must mach the details held by the bank that issued the card. I regularly have payments fail because I have miskeyed something. I am reluctant to use autofill on card details.

I had a similar problem here in Thailand when I first tried to pay the builder, it was rejected as my wife had given me the wrong spelling for his name. Since then the bank has altered the method. You now have to set up the recipient before you can attempt to make the payment.

• Like 1

One can also choose to have the State Retirement Pension paid every 4 weeks (13 "pay days" per year ! )

Whatever floats your boat !

I have my State and occupational pensions paid into a UK bank and arrange periodic transfers via the London Bangkok Bank . A cheap fast and reliable service

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 1
If Ricardo pays tax at source and it is under his Personal Tax allowance then of course he can claim it back, everybody has a personal tax allowance of 10,000 pounds whereby you do not pay tax if you have earned under this amount.

That is my impression, but I will post an update, whether or not I eventually do manage to get a refund.

Although Standard-Life had said 7-10 days before the proceeds reached me, the lump-sum (25% tax-free + 75% less 20% income-tax) actually hit my Jersey bank-account within 2 days of the phone-call, a good start.

I received the paperwork from Standard Life by post on Monday, including a 3-part P45, it's a long time since I saw one of those ! rolleyes.gif

So I wrote today to HMRC, to request a refund of the tax deducted & sent direct to HMRC under the PAYE-scheme, the letter from the insurer does suggest that it might be able to be reclaimed, saying :-

"The tax amount shown may not be right as all your income for the year has to be taken into account"

&

"Ask HM Revenue & Customs for a tax refund now if you think you have paid too much tax - you don't have to wait for the end of the tax year."

Further to this back in February, when I was able to cash-in a pension-pot, but the pension-provider retained 20% income-tax on the taxable 75% ...

I have now received a cheque from HMRC, refunding the tax previously-deducted under PAYE, so the tax can definitely be reclaimed, provided it falls within one's unused Personal-Allowance.

Tax-reclaimed from the Revenue feels somehow nicer, than income from other sources, smile smugly sweetly and say "Thank-you three times !" biggrin.png

• Like 2

Not so. You have to have a certain stay of residency (6months ?) then you are entitled to your state pension at the new rate; but when you leave it is again frozen at that new rate.

Help Please

I'm going to transfer my private pension to BKK bank this is what I found out. One problem I did run into when I tried to transfer funds myself (a trial run): YUK bank accounts seem to use 8 digits and my bank transfer thingy(Nationwide) would not accept the 10 digit BKK bank account number.

92 00 20 00 (sort code)
(For Pounds Sterling transfers)
Bangkok Bank London receives the funds from your UK bank and transfers them to your account in Thailand in Pound Sterling.
The currency is converted from Pound Sterling to Thai Baht at Bangkok Bank, Bangkok, using its daily TT buying rate.
You will need to enter the account number of the final beneficiary into "the special instruction" field (see below).
For Payee/
Beneficiary
First name and surname of the receiving party
Enter the recipient’s first name and surname as shown in the recipient’s Bangkok Bank passbook. DO NOT put Bangkok Bank.
Special Instruction
(Payment Reference or
Payment Description)
Ten-digit account number followed by BKKBTHBK
Enter the full 10-digit Bangkok Bank account number, followed by BKKBTHBK (the SWIFT address of Bangkok Bank in Thailand).
(e.g. 1234567890BKKBTHBK)

After you correctly enter the details, funds will be transferred into the recipient’s Bangkok Bank account in Thailand the next working day after the funds are received by Bangkok Bank in London.

I intend to get my private pension paid into BKK bank (in the YUk if possible0 and this is what I found out. I did try a trial run and found out that YUK bank accounts seem to be 8 numbers and my Nationwide transfer would not accept my 10 number BKK account number. Dunno yet if my pension provider will have more luck.

92 00 20 00

(For Pounds Sterling transfers)

Bangkok Bank London receives the funds from your UK bank and transfers them to your account in Thailand in Pound Sterling.

The currency is converted from Pound Sterling to Thai Baht at Bangkok Bank, Bangkok, using its daily TT buying rate.

You will need to enter the account number of the final beneficiary into "the special instruction" field (see below).

For Payee/

Beneficiary

First name and surname of the receiving party

Enter the recipients first name and surname as shown in the recipients Bangkok Bank passbook. DO NOT put Bangkok Bank.

Special Instruction

(Payment Reference or

Payment Description)

Ten-digit account number followed by BKKBTHBK

Enter the full 10-digit Bangkok Bank account number, followed by BKKBTHBK (the SWIFT address of Bangkok Bank in Thailand).

(e.g. 1234567890BKKBTHBK)

After you correctly enter the details, funds will be transferred into the recipients Bangkok Bank account in Thailand the next working day after the funds are received by Bangkok Bank in London.

Edited by theoldgit
Uneccesary quote removed in response.

Found this on Facebook today - it may resonate with some! :-

PLEASE PASS THIS AROUND, UNTIL EVERY ONE HAS HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO READ IT... THIS IS SURELY SOMETHING WE ALL NEED TO THINK ABOUT!!!!

THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE GOVERNMENT'S CALCULATION OF AVAILABLE PENSION IS THAT THEY FORGOT TO FIGURE IN ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE THEY EVER COLLECTED Old AGE PENSION.

WHERE DID ALL THAT MONEY GO?

Remember, not only did you and I contribute to our Pension, our employer did, too. It totalled 15% of your income before taxes.

If you averaged only £15 000 over your working life, that's close to

<snip>

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/benefit.asp

Federal Benefit Payments

Claim: Item criticizes various aspects of the Social Security security system.

MOSTLY FALSE

Example: [Collected via e-mail, March 2012]

SOCIAL SECURITY NOW CALLED 'FEDERAL BENEFIT PAYMENT'/ENTITLEMENT

Have you noticed, your Social Security check is now referred to as a "federal benefit payment"?

I'll be part of the one percent, to forward this, our government gets away with way too much in all areas of our lives, while they live lavishly on their grossly overpaid incomes! KEEP passing THIS AROUND UNTIL EVERY ONE HAS READ IT.....

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THIS CALCULATION IS THEY FORGOT TO FIGURE IN THE PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE THEY COLLECTED THEIR SOCIAL SECURITY!!!!

WHERE DID THAT MONEY GO?????????????

This was sent to me, I am forwarding it because it does touch a nerve in me.

This is another example of what Rick Perry called "TREASON in high

<snip>

Edited by JetsetBkk

Not so. You have to have a certain stay of residency (6months ?) then you are entitled to your state pension at the new rate; but when you leave it is again frozen at that new rate.

From where did you receive this information? In order that we can confirm that it is correct.