UK pensions

I have just today received an email from the electoral registration officer in my constituency. My letter requesting a postal vote arrived too late by one day to be considered. I posted it to England just over a month ago. So what chance a voting paper arriving here and being returned in time? Zero. Roll on electronic voting, or perhaps getting those idle buggers at the embassy in Bangkok involved so we can vote there.

I'm sorry, but I'm not surprised. The vagaries of the postal system mean that at present the only practical way we in Thailand can vote is by proxy - but I agree with you that electronic voting is the way to go. They should make it possible for anyone registered on the 'Government Gateway' online system to cast their vote, and this should be reasonably secure against fraud. As far as voting at the Embassy is concerned, I would be willing to travel to Bangkok to do this, but I wonder how that would work with expats potentially from 650 different constituencies. Unless the UK adopts a straightforward PR by party system, or creates overseas constituencies I can't see how it would.

Another thing you need to know is that you have to re-register with your local council/constituency every year. They send out a form, and if it doesn't reach you or you don't send it back your registration lapses. I didn't discover this until I asked my son to vote for me in last year's EU elections and he said he'd never had voting papers. The council said I'd never sent back the form (I subseqently had reason to doubt whether they'd actually sent one).

I'm afraid the whole thing is just another indication of the muddleheaded and uncaring approach of Whitehall to the basic rights of its overseas citizens

Many ex pat Brits would not vote, as the government would know they are in Thailand, but claiming winter allowance, sick benefit etc etc

Whichever one you choose...

iStock_000014644345XSmall-glass-half-ful

Doing nothing won't solve anything.

Sorry but nothing will change their minds ,the govt are cutting benefits( they even call the pension a benefit now even though we paid in for it) so giving us lot who have left more money is not on the table

It's also bye-bye Nigel, 555

Hopefully not for long, UKIP received nearly 4million votes yet only one MP,

They also received nearly 15% of the vote in England and again only one MP. This was in-spite of a propaganda campaign against them by the BBC and some of the national newspapers.

The big loser, was Britain.Thankfully I live in Thailand.

Absolutely brilliant Nontabury.

• Like 1

UKIP were responsible for many Tory election pledges,namely EU in-out referendum,asylum seekers,probably now all booted out thankfully, even further reducing benefit cap Conservatives were running scared 6 months ago of UKIP,now human rights act being binned too because of them

Once the voting map of the UK is re-drawn in this parliament will see Labour finished as a party,maybe UKIP will spring forth again. Conservatives have pledged the OAP will rise £1000 a year ,or £20 a week by the end of their term too

Now just get rid of Scotland and that Barnett formula.,what a wonderful world

I was enjoying your post until that last line, who's Barnett? I was always for Scottish independence, but I would be happy with a UKIP led UK

as long as they did not have the Tax Tax Tax mentality of all the British governments in my lifetime, particularly Labour.

What was the pledge of the Lib Dems when they formed a coalition with the Conservatives.

We will not increase University fees.

What did they do as soon as they were in power?

If you don't know it by now, they are all hypocrites, but some are better liars than others.

• Like 1

Conservatives have pledged the OAP will rise £1000 a year ,or £20 a week by the end of their term too

That won't make a scrap of difference to most expats in Thailand.

Meanwhile back in the UK, the Tories now have a free hand to do as they wish.

1. 12bn of planned cuts to the welfare system, so the poor, disabled, elderly and disadvantaged will be hit the hardest.

2. Unemployment should fall....as more are forced into unfair and inadequate contracts...food banks will continue to rise.

3. Creeping privatisation of our Education and Health system. But don't worry the NHS will remain free...as the death tolls rise.

4. Cuts will fall heavily on local Councils and Public Services, like the Police, Fire Service and Prisons who are already stretched.

5. A referendum on Europe and scrapping the Human Rights Act, although we'll keep the good bits like TTIP, which will hand over swathes of our national sovereignty to multi-national corporations. But that’s okay because foreigners are alright as long as they’re big businesses; it’s only the poor ones we don’t like.

In 5 years I think Labour and UKIP will be back with a bang!

Pity help the people of the UK if the lying hypocrites of Labour, the "party of the working class"?????? ever come back with any bang.

<deleted>

Reasoned thoughtful comment , i take it you own a large co and or stinking rich cos thats the only ones the tories have ever looked after.

Conservatives have pledged the OAP will rise £1000 a year ,or £20 a week by the end of their term too

1. 12bn of planned cuts to the welfare system, so the poor, disabled, elderly and disadvantaged will be hit the hardest.

2. Unemployment should fall....as more are forced into unfair and inadequate contracts...food banks will continue to rise.

3. Creeping privatisation of our Education and Health system. But don't worry the NHS will remain free...as the death tolls rise.

4. Cuts will fall heavily on local Councils and Public Services, like the Police, Fire Service and Prisons who are already stretched.

5. A referendum on Europe and scrapping the Human Rights Act, although we'll keep the good bits like TTIP, which will hand over swathes of our national sovereignty to multi-national corporations. But that’s okay because foreigners are alright as long as they’re big businesses; it’s only the poor ones we don’t like.

Think your bang on the money,, baring hopefully the ukip bit,,,

Now just get rid of Scotland and that Barnett formula.,what a wonderful world

I was enjoying your post until that last line, who's Barnett? I was always for Scottish independence, but I would be happy with a UKIP led UK

as long as they did not have the Tax Tax Tax mentality of all the British governments in my lifetime, particularly Labour.

Joel Barnett was a Treasury Minister in Harold Wilson's government who came up with a formula for public expenditure per head in Scotland to be x% above the percapita expenditure in England - presumably to keep the Scots sweet and voting Labour. It worked for long enough, but now it looks as though the Scots have never been grateful for this largesse.

Conservatives are the best thing that has happened to the UK in a long time,benefits being slashed across the board,for the migrants (have seen them described as rats in human form) are in for a rough ride

Cameron has already stated he is mindful of the frozen pension issue,see where that leads. The party are going to be in power forever when the boundary commission issues are settled and MPs reduced to 300

• Like 2

Have just read in the DM that the UK spends £5Billion pa on benefits for Migrants, £30Million of which is Child Benefits for migrants children living overseas & I'll bet that that's not "Frozen"

JB300, you'll never pass as a child migrant, so don't even go there.

It's your pubic hairs that give your age away. thumbsup.gif

Conservatives are the best thing that has happened to the UK in a long time,benefits being slashed across the board,for the migrants (have seen them described as rats in human form) are in for a rough ride

Cameron has already stated he is mindful of the frozen pension issue,see where that leads. The party are going to be in power forever when the boundary commission issues are settled and MPs reduced to 300

Just what migrants are you talking about?

You mean Thai wives living in the UK. They are migrants.

In fact your a migrant living in Thailand!

Many ex pat Brits would not vote, as the government would know they are in Thailand, but claiming winter allowance, sick benefit etc etc

I think you over-estimate the abilities of the UK government.

I received an email from the local council acknowledging my address in Thailand after I requested the ability to vote by post. They also sent me another email after I told them of an error in my address that they quoted in the first email. So they know exactly where I am.

Last month my pension was uprated.

I have tried very hard to tell the people at the Department of Work and Pensions, The Pensions Service and Winter Fuel Allowance Team that I am living in Thailand. I enclosed a self-address envelope to both the DWP and WFA. The HMRC emailed me to say my NI No. does not correspond to the no. on their records. This is the same no. that my pension refers to.

The DWP and WFA have not acknowledged either of my letters even though I enclosed a self-addressed envelope to both of them.

My pension has just been uprated. If they give me half of my dad's winter fuel allowance, like they did last year, I can expect another irate email from him demanding the 100 quid back!

IMHO they are a useless bunch of waxxsters.

If anyone knows how to tell these morons your address in Thailand, please let me know.

Edited by JetsetBkk
  • Like 1

I received an email from the local council acknowledging my address in Thailand after I requested the ability to vote by post. They also sent me another email after I told them of an error in my address that they quoted in the first email. So they know exactly where I am.

I have tried very hard to tell the people at the Department of Work and Pensions, The Pensions Service and Winter Fuel Allowance Team that I am living in Thailand. I enclosed a self-address envelope to both the DWP and WFA. The HMRC emailed me to say my NI No. does not correspond to the no. on their records. This is the same no. that my pension refers to.

The DWP and WFA have not acknowledged either of my letters even though I enclosed a self-addressed envelope to both of them.

My pension has just been uprated. If they give me half of my dad's winter fuel allowance, like they did last year, I can expect another irate email from him demanding the 100 quid back!

If anyone knows how to tell these morons your address in Thailand, please let me know.

I would imagine that a phone call to International Pensions, DWP Newcastle would sort it out.

I would imagine that a phone call to International Pensions, DWP Newcastle would sort it out.

I have always found International Pensions polite and easy to deal with on the phone.

• Like 1

Have just read in the DM that the UK spends £5Billion pa on benefits for Migrants, £30Million of which is Child Benefits for migrants children living overseas & I'll bet that that's not "Frozen"

JB300, you'll never pass as a child migrant, so don't even go there.

It's your pubic hairs that give your age away. thumbsup.gif

Lol, those & the grey chest hairs... A (full body) shave might be in order :P

Pity help the people of the UK if the lying hypocrites of Labour, the "party of the working class"?????? ever come back with any bang.

<deleted>

Reasoned thoughtful comment , i take it you own a large co and or stinking rich cos thats the only ones the tories have ever looked after.

So did Bliar and the Labour party,or did you forget?

• Like 1

Its been a week nearly now since the election and at least one good thing has happened, the exchange is moving in theright direction.

Steve Webb has gone and Ros Altman has taken his place, let us hope that she is more to our liking.

• Like 1

I once attempted to inform them too,was told to F O. you gormless c.unt

Have your pension paid to your Thai bank.

Print off Part 9 of the overseas claim form and send it in, that will sort it out. You can always reverse the process later.

165064_128427217220473_1825598_n.jpg?oh=

Simon Read in the Independent once again draws reader's attention to the need to address frozen pensions.

Having the journalist 'on side' is probably as important as anything.

He/She can lobby the minister far more effectively than any individual or group.

• Like 1

Many times in the D.M,i have said in the section where you discuss the story you have just read,is it fair that pensions are frozen for expats and I reckon at least 90% of people who answer say it's not fair that they are,especially as so much is given to those who have paid in nothing

• Like 1

The Information Commissioner's Office says it is concerned about the number of people being cold called about pensions.

It says it has received more than 1,000 complaints about calls and texts this year.

The consumer group Which? also believes unsolicited calls have increased with the arrival of pension freedom.

Both organisations have urged people of pension age to be on their guard against fraud attempts.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32756605

• Like 1

Some potentially very bad news on pensions for many - including me sad.png

Article in the Telegraph today http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/11608210/The-new-flat-rate-pension-where-everybody-gets-different-amounts.html

Basically if you were contracted out of SERPS at any time an amount based on old GMP values gets deducted from whatever you thought you were due........

Apologies if this has already been posted but is news to me.

Some potentially very bad news on pensions for many - including me sad.png

Article in the Telegraph today http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/pensions/11608210/The-new-flat-rate-pension-where-everybody-gets-different-amounts.html

Basically if you were contracted out of SERPS at any time an amount based on old GMP values gets deducted from whatever you thought you were due........

Apologies if this has already been posted but is news to me.

Lucky those who recently retired.

If Cameron does not mention frozen pensions in the forthcoming Queens speech I think all is lost, Not exactly a vote winner,but something he could do as he is aware of the issue