UK pensions

mrmazinkle

Just to clarify:

Providing you still have a fixed abode in the UK and pay Council Tax (its important), then you do not need to declare any absence. Do you think Simon Cowell or Sean Connery declare their long term absences from the UK. If you do declare then yes you can expect your benefits to be cut, but as long as you pay your Council Tax, then they will simply assume your still in the UK. Its not like they go knocking on door checking.

For enhanced clarity..... ;)

They *DO* go knocking on your door if they have reason to believe something is amiss.

You *DO* need to report absences, even if you are paying local taxes and are on the electoral roll -- those things make no difference.

Your pension is not a benefit.

You *will* be charged with fraud if you try to scam them by not telling them your real situation.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clarify:

Providing you still have a fixed abode in the UK and pay Council Tax (its important), then you do not need to declare any absence. Do you think Simon Cowell or Sean Connery declare their long term absences from the UK. If you do declare then yes you can expect your benefits to be cut, but as long as you pay your Council Tax, then they will simply assume your still in the UK. Its not like they go knocking on door checking.

For enhanced clarity..... wink.png

They *DO* go knocking on your door if they have reason to believe something is amiss.

You *DO* need to report absences, even if you are paying local taxes and are on the electoral roll -- those things make no difference.

You *will* be charged with fraud if you try to scam them by not telling them your real situation.

Might as well add a PS here...over the years there has been some gormless statements on this subject and if you may any information on the "door knocking" "reporting absences" the "benefit bit" bit more information there please, and do YOU know personally of anyone ANYONE charged for benefit fraud relating to ,and exclusively to the Old Age Pension Thanking You

Just to clarify:

Awaiting even more enhanced clarity,Could it be you,and others, stuffed in the Mire,obviously not exactly enjoying are blowing off not knowing a damned thing about anything,sounding good but in actuality just a bag of horse poo.

If there is nothing more to add just to thank you for helping me along

Thank You

They *DID* knock on my door - well it was a nearby house looking for me but they didn't get the address right. It was a most interesting conversation with the Pensions "enforcer" lady. I am not about to reveal my personal details here -- so you can believe what I write or not -- up to you (sic) smile.png

P.S. I have every sympathy with "non-believers" - - there is an extraordinary amount of crap spewed on forums generally ;) I only post what I know to be fact in my life -- or opinions about everything else :) haha!!

Just to clarify:

Awaiting even more enhanced clarity,Could it be you,and others, stuffed in the Mire,obviously not exactly enjoying are blowing off not knowing a damned thing about anything,sounding good but in actuality just a bag of horse poo.

If there is nothing more to add just to thank you for helping me along

Thank You

Tell all that you know, we need an insider.......thumbsup.gif

They *DID* knock on my door - well it was a nearby house looking for me but they didn't get the address right. It was a most interesting conversation with the Pensions "enforcer" lady. I am not about to reveal my personal details here -- so you can believe what I write or not -- up to you (sic) smile.png

P.S. I have every sympathy with "non-believers" - - there is an extraordinary amount of crap spewed on forums generally wink.png I only post what I know to be fact in my life -- or opinions about everything else smile.png haha!!

Yes it does indeed sound factual The DWP Pensions enforcer (re. frozen pension) knocked on your door in where? Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chang Mai etc. Yes I suppose things could be slithery (sic) to say the least making sure you are there ,frozen..

...but are you sure the "enforcer was strictly there about OAP ,or could it be housing benefit,?credits ? etc or other connected issues ie still being alive?.

Yes I do have sympathy to "believers" what they believe in is up to them LOL

P.S. I have every sympathy with "non-believers" - - there is an extraordinary amount of crap spewed on forums generally wink.png I only post what I know to be fact in my life -- or opinions about everything else smile.png haha!!

Yes it does indeed sound factual The DWP Pensions enforcer (re. frozen pension) knocked on your door in where? Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chang Mai etc. Yes I suppose things could be slithery (sic) to say the least making sure you are there ,frozen..

...but are you sure the "enforcer was strictly there about OAP ,or could it be housing benefit,?credits ? etc or other connected issues ie still being alive?.

Please read carefully again - - I am NOT going to divulge personal details in this or any other forums. You can believe it or not, but given the badly thought through retorts, I'm guessing you just like to chew the fat :)

Please read carefully again - - I am NOT going to divulge personal details in this or any other forums. You can believe it or not, but given the badly thought through retorts, I'm guessing you just like to chew the fat smile.png

Like this I'm in positive territory,....and you are not...nuff saidwink.png

I do know someone who was caught,in fact split on by an ex , he was not prosecuted ,but after about a year of back and forth with them he agreed on a monthly payment to be deducted from his pension to pay back the overpayment ,and they reduced his pension to when he SAID he left

I do know someone who was caught,in fact split on by an ex , he was not prosecuted ,but after about a year of back and forth with them he agreed on a monthly payment to be deducted from his pension to pay back the overpayment ,and they reduced his pension to when he SAID he left

I know more than a few ,caught out frozen at that point. OAP cannot be reduced,paid back or stopped

I know more than a few ,caught out frozen at that point. OAP cannot be reduced,paid back or stopped

it was his public sector pension they took the overpayment from ,sorry I did not say

it was his public sector pension they took the overpayment from ,sorry I did not say

That is why it is best to have a Spanish paid for address

Here is a hypothetical question ,if you get a new passport in the UK then get caught,you can say that is when you came here ,I doubt if they keep a record of your old passport visa stamps

Always fly via Barc. They will take 3 years winter fuel. A visa ,be it a `12 month one does not necessarily mean 12 months was spent here there or anywhere,and will not be stamped in the EU.Spain, Portugal, Sweden ,UK Norway, not one stamp recently

No Merry Christmas from anyone,well here is mine.

Yes time to ponder as another year rolls around,how long has this thread been in existence?4 years or more? doom and gloom merchants are still actively "liking" posts like this,same names plugging away,but to see a light at the end of this long long tunnel must now be wearisome , nothing happening to those loathsome subjects who take the very bread from your mouths,self sacrifices are indeed a noble gesture,yes they should be struck down by the plague,your rewards are in heaven,and being 65 plus,not long to go either

Always "someone" always will be,yes DWP do indeed come down like a damp squib on the miscreants "how long you bin there"? two weeks is reply,that in itself takes a further 6 months to reply to

i do indeed "know" a few too,not bothered one bit,but if anything happened Id be back unfrozen within 3 months. The essence of this post is the dedication of an Elton John classic "Sacrifice" to the sacrificed few I have requested a playing of it on BBC radio ,Housewives Choice at 3 pm Christmas Day ,alongside the Queens Speech,not Queen the group but the one wearing the crown

I am not sure they go knocking on doors these days, its easier to just put a stop on your pension and then let you ring them to find whats up, the following discussion will then come to a new position which may be frozen from that point or not be frozen and things carry on as they did before.

I agree that as we were never told about the freezing position earlier in life when our forced contributions were being taken it might be viewed as common theft, but, the HMG own the game that is being played and they can and do change the rules from time to time as it suits them without any consultation with the general public who elected them and who it affects. As always HMG are economic with the truth and choose which and what to talk about and what to ignore.

Where do they get their education from, it hardly is a recommendation for Eton and the like is it.

Public sector pensions are never frozen though no matter where you live

And far bigger than the govt pension

Most public sector pensions are classed govt.pensions

Technicality with a subtle difference. The Non O visa can only be obtained with the government state pension.

Technicality with a subtle difference. The Non O visa can only be obtained with the government state pension.

Confusion rules. The non-O visa is the one that will be given by immigration offices within Thailand on the basis of retirement and need proof that you are over 50 and have either enough money in the bank, or enough monthly income. There is NO requirement to have a UK state pension.

Confusion rules. The non-O visa is the one that will be given by immigration offices within Thailand on the basis of retirement and need proof that you are over 50 and have either enough money in the bank, or enough monthly income. There is NO requirement to have a UK state pension.

Confusion definitely rules as I understood it to be:

- Non-O is issued in your own country & in the case of the U.K. Requires a state pension so effectively you need to be 65 (or whatever your state pension age is) This is a 1 year visa, though exiting & re-entering just before the expiry date gets you almost 2 years.

- Non-OA is issued in a country other than your own (& Thailand) based on being 50 & proving sufficient funds. This is a 90-day visa valid for 1 year (again, re-entering just before it expires gets you an extra 90 days).

- Visas are only issued outside of Thailand though it is possible to convert your current permission to stay to a retirement visa in Bangkok (believe this is a 90 day non-OA) if you're 50 & have the necessary funds.

- Non-O is issued in your own country & in the case of the U.K. Requires a state pension so effectively you need to be 65 (or whatever your state pension age is) This is a 1 year visa, though exiting & re-entering just before the expiry date gets you almost 2 years.

- Non-OA is issued in a country other than your own (& Thailand) based on being 50 & proving sufficient funds. This is a 90-day visa valid for 1 year (again, re-entering just before it expires gets you an extra 90 days).

- Visas are only issued outside of Thailand though it is possible to convert your current permission to stay to a retirement visa in Bangkok (believe this is a 90 day non-OA) if you're 50 & have the necessary funds.

Indeed the conversion can be from a "Permission to stay" stamped at the airport. What I got was a non-O visa and entry stamp valid for 90 days -- giving me plenty of time to sort out the annual extension requirement. Your mileage may vary according to the local rules of the immigration office you use. There are plenty of threads in here about the inconsistencies in the requirements by different immigration offices -- and on occasion by different officers in the same office. The rules have a habit of being "same same , but different" ;)

I believe non-OA is issued in your own country, but I have never used that.

Indeed the conversion can be from a "Permission to stay" stamped at the airport. What I got was a non-O visa and entry stamp valid for 90 days -- giving me plenty of time to sort out the annual extension requirement. Your mileage may vary according to the local rules of the immigration office you use. There are plenty of threads in here about the inconsistencies in the requirements by different immigration offices -- and on occasion by different officers in the same office. The rules have a habit of being "same same , but different" ;)

I believe non-OA is issued in your own country, but I have never used that.

Yeah, I got the Non-O & Non-OA the wrong way round [emoji17]

Xmas hangover [emoji17]

Confusion rules because although the thread is about UK pensions people keep referring to Thai immigration procedures. People that have no interest in a UK visa with a state pension should refrain from comments about it.

I made the point about the visa requiring a state pension as opposed to a government pension, someone gets mixed up, takes it off at a tangent and confusion reigns.

Confusion rules because although the thread is about UK pensions people keep referring to Thai immigration procedures. People that have no interest in a UK visa with a state pension should refrain from comments about it.

I made the point about the visa requiring a state pension as opposed to a government pension, someone gets mixed up, takes it off at a tangent and confusion reigns.

Lets just read stuff, it all helps someone...thumbsup.gif

It may state DWP Pension on the website, but they accept any type of regular Pension or income as proof.

And you don't have to be 65 either to get a Non Imm O Visa.

Depending on the purpose of your visit they can issue whatever they want are their discretion.

Archived