UK pensions

mrmazinkle

Thanks Faz, I've just checked on the London website & never knew that they issued Non-Os & Non-OAs with the latter being available (at their discretion) to anybody over 50.

Non-Immigrant Type O

Birth Certificate (applicant's child)

Certificate of Marriage or its equivalents (if married to Thai national)

a copy of marriage certificate,a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 anuually.)

An official recommendation letter from organization perform voluntary job in Thailand (for volunteer job)

Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner.

Non-Immigrant Type O- A

Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or £1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually

Medical Record

Criminal Record check

But I take SandyF's point, have strayed away from the topic at hand so despite learning a lot today :), I wont comment any further on this...

Back to UK Pensions :)

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Faz, I've just checked on the London website & never knew that they issued Non-Os & Non-OAs with the latter being available (at their discretion) to anybody over 50.

Non-Immigrant Type O

a copy of marriage certificate,a copy of Thai passport/a copy of Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than £1,400 anuually.)

An official recommendation letter from organization perform voluntary job in Thailand (for volunteer job)

Non-Immigrant Type O- A

Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or £1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually

Medical Record

Criminal Record check

But I take SandyF's point, have strayed away from the topic at hand so despite learning a lot today smile.png, I wont comment any further on this...

Back to UK Pensions smile.png

Sorry but the information above is wrong. Rather than debate this issue any further, here's the link to the Thailand Embassy UK and the visa options page which explains the details, interested parties can explore as needed.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/44

Non-Immigrant Type O

Non-Immigrant Type O- A

Medical Record

Criminal Record check

But I take SandyF's point, have strayed away from the topic at hand so despite learning a lot today smile.png, I wont comment any further on this...

Back to UK Pensions smile.png

Sorry but the information above is wrong. Rather than debate this issue any further, here's the link to the Thailand Embassy UK and the visa options page which explains the details, interested parties can explore as needed.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/44

Awesome, information I posted was from the same website http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

No wonder confusion reigns [emoji17]

Anyway, back to UK Pensions [emoji4]

Edit: Sorry guys, promise no more visa posts in this thread.

"It may state DWP Pension on the website, but they accept any type of regular Pension or income as proof.

And you don't have to be 65 either to get a Non Imm O Visa."

This is not true. A friend of mine that has just arrived here went to Hull about 5 weeks ago and was refused the Non O based on state pension. He is 68 and had taken bank statements to prove his pension but they said they would only accept a DWP letter. He came away with a double entry tourist visa, fortunately he had gone on the 11th Nov and not a few days later.

"It may state DWP Pension on the website, but they accept any type of regular Pension or income as proof.

This is not true. A friend of mine that has just arrived here went to Hull about 5 weeks ago and was refused the Non O based on state pension. He is 68 and had taken bank statements to prove his pension but they said they would only accept a DWP letter. He came away with a double entry tourist visa, fortunately he had gone on the 11th Nov and not a few days later.

Your friend didn't follow the procedure, that's why!

Now regarding UK Pensions and not specifically DWP Pension.

Any kind of Pension is accepted as proof of income be that a Thai Embassy or the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Your early statement that only a DWP pension is acceptable is totally incorrect and will mislead many members.

A letter from the Pension provider is required as proof of Pension, not Bank statements, and that form of proof is standard regardless.

I am 62 and not old enough to receive the State Pension from the DWP.

Perhaps you could explain Sandy, how I entered Thailand 2 years ago and got a subsequent extension based on retirement.

By all means let's stick to Pensions (any Pension) but don't give the wrong information about a specific type of Pension and the effects it can have on entering or staying in Thailand.

Any kind of Pension is accepted as proof of income be that a Thai Embassy or the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Your early statement that only a DWP pension is acceptable is totally incorrect and will mislead many members.

A letter from the Pension provider is required as proof of Pension, not Bank statements, and that form of proof is standard regardless.

Perhaps you could explain Sandy, how I entered Thailand 2 years ago and got a subsequent extension based on retirement.

By all means let's stick to Pensions (any Pension) but don't give the wrong information about a specific type of Pension and the effects it can have on entering or staying in Thailand.

Bank statements showing regular income from whoever will be accepted

Pensions? here is a load of crap. The present one (OAP) the main body £116,shortly going up to £119 is triple locked,the serps bit (additional pension) and I suspect the top up is governed by CPI ,road to confusion. The Govt, will in time adjust the new one launching in April with the old one now in existence I'm sure but costing 5 billion. what a ,load of rubbish

Bank statements showing regular income from whoever will be accepted

Again a false and misleading statement. You didn't read Sandy's post and the reason for his friends refusal.

Proof of income from Pensions will only be accepted by a Thai authority in the form of a letter from the DWP or Pension provider (Home Country) or a letter from

your Embassy (local Immigration). Bank statement will not be accepted as proof of Pension payments.

Bank statements may be accepted by the British Embassy as proof of State Pension (where it clearly states DWP) to obtain a letter for Immigration, but they usually require the annual Pension statement letter from the DWP.

My Private Pension paid into my bank account, does not make it clear the monthly income is derived from a Pension.

I guess here's as good a place as any?

Fee-free bank accounts launched

No offense but even less relevant than the Visa discussions (at least those were about people who were knocking on & looking at retirement in Thailand).

So I'll pro offer this (more uk pension related than Thailand specifically but hopefully of interest)...

The 2015-16 pension changes explained in 10 questions... http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32087038

And Pension freedoms to be 'open season' for fraudsters... http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31762371

(Apologies if these have been posted before, I don't recall seeing them.. That in itself could be a subject for an OAP thread [emoji12])

No Problem. I should have added the 'feel free to move' caveat for the mods, but as pensioners often moan about bank accounts and bank charges this seemed an appropriate place to post the link.

Actually that "no-fee" banking would be great for low-income folks like pensioners if it wasn't for the small print. It appears to be only for people who currently don't have any bank account -- highly unlikely for a pensioner.

And as a very basic account does it include the ability to transfer money abroad?

from the link....

"........available to anyone who doesn’t already have a bank account......"

"..........new basic bank accounts that will end bank charges if a direct debit or standing order fails.........."

"......... Basic bank account customers will now also be offered services on the same terms as other personal current accounts that the banks provides, including access to all the standard over-the-counter services at bank branches and at the Post Office, and access to the entire ATM network........ "

It's probably best to choose a bank and ask for details of specific eligibility requirements and the services available.

" .............. The banks and building societies that have signed up to offer a basic bank account from 1 January 2016 and their corresponding bank account product are:

• Barclays – Barclays Basic Current Account
  • Santander – Basic Current Account
  • NatWest – Foundation Account
  • Ulster Bank (Northern Ireland) – Foundation Account
  • The Royal Bank of Scotland (Scotland) – Foundation Account
  • RBS England & Wales – Basic Account
  • HSBC – Basic Bank Account
  • Nationwide – FlexBasic
  • Co-operative Bank – Cashminder
  • Lloyds Banking Group (including Halifax and Bank of Scotland brands) – Basic Account
  • TSB – Cash Account
  • National Australia Bank Group (including Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale brands) – Readycash Account....................."

I went from being a Premier account holder in four countries to being a basic account holder in the UK, with HSBC.

I can do all the things today that I wanted to do as a Premier holder, deposit and withdraw cash, use my debit card, use my MC (OK, they dropped my limit from 20k to 10K), make international transfers (no Global View), telephone banking (normal business hours pretty much) etc, The only difference is I don't have to keep GBP 50 K in my account earning zip.

Worth watching due to the similarities between their plight and ours; particularly if they challenge and succeed in court:

'Moroccans who have spent all their working lives in France and the Netherlands are now facing discrimination against their pensions in what has been criticised as a form of 'retirement apartheid'.

Retired French and Italians can live anywhere in Europe without it affecting their domestic pension entitlements; but North Africans who have lived and worked in France for more than 40 years are denied the same rights.

Instead they face a stark choice: return to their home countries and lose large slices of their pension and face medical bills they can't afford; or remain in, say, France with their full pensions but away from their families'.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/aljazeeraworld/2015/12/retirement-trap-151229133508454.html

Worth watching due to the similarities between their plight and ours; particularly if they challenge and succeed in court:

'Moroccans who have spent all their working lives in France and the Netherlands are now facing discrimination against their pensions in what has been criticised as a form of 'retirement apartheid'.

Retired French and Italians can live anywhere in Europe without it affecting their domestic pension entitlements; but North Africans who have lived and worked in France for more than 40 years are denied the same rights.

Instead they face a stark choice: return to their home countries and lose large slices of their pension and face medical bills they can't afford; or remain in, say, France with their full pensions but away from their families'.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/aljazeeraworld/2015/12/retirement-trap-151229133508454.html

A court case is what is needed to set precedent. One of the issues will be the status of the "contract" between a countries successive governments and the contributor. I really hope this whole thing gets hauled mercilessly through courts and people get what they contributed for.

Only prob is the UK case went to the European court and we failed. France and Italy may get the same result if it goes there...

Yes thanks to Tony Blair and the labour party ,fighting for the rights of working people . oh sorry i meant feathering his own nest .bah.gif

Call me a cynic, but ethnicity might actually help if claimants aren't ethic Europeans! smile.png

I did wonder what happens with say African folk, or others, not on "that" list that work all their life in the UK and retire to their homeland, if their state pension is frozen.

Only prob is the UK case went to the European court and we failed. France and Italy may get the same result if it goes there...

Was it not rejected by the majority of the judges, some of whom came from countries where there is no discrimination as to where their pensioners live.

I don't know how the French and Italian judges voted,will be interested to see how this plays out. Would not be surprised to see these French pensioners gaining their full entitlement, while they continue to deny the same rights to UK pensioners.

Was it not rejected by the majority of the judges, some of whom came from countries where there is no discrimination as to where their pensioners live.

I don't know how the French and Italian judges voted,will be interested to see how this plays out. Would not be surprised to see these French pensioners gaining their full entitlement, while they continue to deny the same rights to UK pensioners.

Think it was 5 for us and 8 against.........Which in a court of law was rollox to me....Too many folk for us on the panel..

Which would effectively present us a 'Bosman' :)

Bosman ruling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archived