UK pensions

mrmazinkle

How long do you need to be out of the country, before they consider your pension should be frozen?

It is "frozen" from the time one leaves the UK to live in a country where increases are not paid.

Some people run the risk of not informing the DWP of their departure.

What about if you go travelling for a year, that's not 'living' is it?

One would need to check with the DWP

That's the last thing one should do, if you've got an address in UK just go......go back for a month and go travelling again.

I don't think there's any limit on how long you can travel for.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long do you need to be out of the country, before they consider your pension should be frozen?

It is "frozen" from the time one leaves the UK to live in a country where increases are not paid.

So"some people run the risk" of what?banishment to Aussie? instant castration? load of rubbish,last throes of life and scared witless,pathetic ,utterly pathetic,"what did you do in the war daddy?" The DWP could not give a hoot,no dedicated dept looking on,no punishment ,no boot drill,funny ain't it

Anyway,the question is "what risk?" or is this people not having better to do than starting a round of uncalled judgment yet again again and yet again,and again and............."met at the airport" "jail" "fight it out in court" off their damned rockers

Edit you are in the right position,you deserve it,stay in it

The new pension is among a number of reforms to taxes, National Insurance allowances and savings coming into effect today to back hard work, support savers and ensure economic security at every stage of life.

Ossy, your having a larf.

What do you think we did for 35 + years.........played tiddly winks!

I found this on another website last night and I asked the poster if he minded me copying and pasting it. He said it was OK by him.

The title of the thread was "Thieves, the lot of them."

I thoroughly agree with the content though others may not.

Medical science is helping mankind live longer but it seems that we should feel guilty for being a drain on society

for taking our pension that we've paid for.

Just to cheer you up......how did a pension we all paid into suddenly become a benefit ?????

Worth some thought - where did all the money go????

IT MAKES YOU THINK !

PLEASE PASS THIS AROUND, UNTIL EVERY ONE HAS HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO READ IT...

THIS IS SURELY SOMETHING WE ALL NEED TO THINK ABOUT !!!!

THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE GOVERNMENT'S CALCULATION OF AVAILABLE PENSION IS THAT THEY FORGOT TO FIGURE IN ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE THEY EVER COLLECTED OLD AGE PENSION.

WHERE DID ALL THAT MONEY GO ?

Remember, not only did you and I contribute to our Pension, our employer did, too.

It totalled 15% of your income before taxes.

If you averaged only £15,000 over your working life, that's close to £220,500.

Read that again!

Did you see anywhere that the Government paid in one single penny ?

We are talking about the money you and your employer put in a Government bank to

ensure that you and I would have a retirement pension from the money we put in

, it was not money that the Government had any right to spend elsewhere.

Now they've started to call the money we paid in an 'entitlement' when we reach the age to take it back.

If you calculate the future invested value of £2500 per year (yours & your employer's contribution) at a simple 5% interest (that's less than what the government pays on the money that it borrows from overseas), after 49 years of working you'd have £892,919.98.

If you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive £26,787.60 per year and it would last

better than 30 years (that means until you're 95 if you retire at age 65) and that's with no interest paid on that final amount on deposit!

If you bought an annuity with the money and it paid 4% per year, you'd have a

lifetime income of £1976.40 per month.

THE CROOKS IN GOVERNMENT HAVE PULLED OFF A BIGGER ROBBERY

THAN THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERS EVER DID.

The argument in the above misses the point that the National Insurance we pay provides us with a pension, it provides us with welfare benefits and it provides us and our children with free at the point of need health services (from arguably the best health service in the world).

Try buying a pension, income protection insurance and a fully comprehensive health insurance for you and your children on the open market and see what it would cost you.

I don't think that the option was ever offered. Not that it would have made any difference because the NI deductions as an employee were compulsory. If you were self employed then you had the option to buy your own pension but IIRC a NI contribution went to the NHS.

Nor was it ever explained by ANY government that if you became an expat and lived in certain countries that your pension would be frozen.

I sure that someone will reply that it was my responsibility to check up. However when I started working and paying tax and NI I was 15 years old and had no idea what I would be doing or where I would be doing 40 or 50 years down the road.

Did anyone at age 15 to 18 make a plan to become an expat by the time that they were 40 or 50 years old?

I found this on another website last night and I asked the poster if he minded me copying and pasting it. He said it was OK by him.

The title of the thread was "Thieves, the lot of them."

I thoroughly agree with the content though others may not.

Medical science is helping mankind live longer but it seems that we should feel guilty for being a drain on society

for taking our pension that we've paid for.

Just to cheer you up......how did a pension we all paid into suddenly become a benefit ?????

Worth some thought - where did all the money go????

IT MAKES YOU THINK !

PLEASE PASS THIS AROUND, UNTIL EVERY ONE HAS HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO READ IT...

THIS IS SURELY SOMETHING WE ALL NEED TO THINK ABOUT !!!!

THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE GOVERNMENT'S CALCULATION OF AVAILABLE PENSION IS THAT THEY FORGOT TO FIGURE IN ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE THEY EVER COLLECTED OLD AGE PENSION.

WHERE DID ALL THAT MONEY GO ?

Remember, not only did you and I contribute to our Pension, our employer did, too.

It totalled 15% of your income before taxes.

If you averaged only £15,000 over your working life, that's close to £220,500.

Read that again!

Did you see anywhere that the Government paid in one single penny ?

We are talking about the money you and your employer put in a Government bank to

ensure that you and I would have a retirement pension from the money we put in

, it was not money that the Government had any right to spend elsewhere.

Now they've started to call the money we paid in an 'entitlement' when we reach the age to take it back.

If you calculate the future invested value of £2500 per year (yours & your employer's contribution) at a simple 5% interest (that's less than what the government pays on the money that it borrows from overseas), after 49 years of working you'd have £892,919.98.

If you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive £26,787.60 per year and it would last

better than 30 years (that means until you're 95 if you retire at age 65) and that's with no interest paid on that final amount on deposit!

If you bought an annuity with the money and it paid 4% per year, you'd have a

lifetime income of £1976.40 per month.

THE CROOKS IN GOVERNMENT HAVE PULLED OFF A BIGGER ROBBERY

THAN THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERS EVER DID.

The argument in the above misses the point that the National Insurance we pay provides us with a pension, it provides us with welfare benefits and it provides us and our children with free at the point of need health services (from arguably the best health service in the world).

Try buying a pension, income protection insurance and a fully comprehensive health insurance for you and your children on the open market and see what it would cost you.

I don't think that the option was ever offered. Not that it would have made any difference because the NI deductions as an employee were compulsory. If you were self employed then you had the option to buy your own pension but IIRC a NI contribution went to the NHS.

Nor was it ever explained by ANY government that if you became an expat and lived in certain countries that your pension would be frozen.

I sure that someone will reply that it was my responsibility to check up. However when I started working and paying tax and NI I was 15 years old and had no idea what I would be doing or where I would be doing 40 or 50 years down the road.

Did anyone at age 15 to 18 make a plan to become an expat by the time that they were 40 or 50 years old?

Well put Bill.

New State Pension to give 'dignity in retirement', and other tax and savings changes come into effect today (6 April 2016).

"Dignity in retirement"

Yep. I feel so much better now. sick.gif

I'm off out, to get 'dignified as a newt', in celebration of my new-found wealth ... which is (I think) about a fiver-a-week more than I might otherwise have been expecting ... certainly not the flat-rate-pension-for-all which the politicians have been promising, for the past four or five years. wink.png

"Don't spend it all at once" might be good advice ! facepalm.gif

New State Pension to give 'dignity in retirement', and other tax and savings changes come into effect today (6 April 2016).

"Dignity in retirement"

And a big surprise for many who thought they were going to get a new bigger pension only to find they did not understand all the new rules of the new game.

£155 you say, hmm, wonder how many will actually get that amount?

"Dignity in retirement"

And a big surprise for many who thought they were going to get a new bigger pension only to find they did not understand all the new rules of the new game.

£155 you say, hmm, wonder how many will actually get that amount?

According to "Which?": "Government estimates show that only around half of those retiring over the next year will qualify for the full state pension".

An overhauled state pension - being paid to new, rather than existing pensioners - has begun, with some set to gain while others lose out.

The government's long-term aim is simplification, stripping away extras such as the second state pension.

It will also become cheaper, in time, for the government with many of those in their 20s and 30s receiving less than they would under the old system.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35969065

An overhauled state pension - being paid to new, rather than existing pensioners - has begun, with some set to gain while others lose out.

The government's long-term aim is simplification, stripping away extras such as the second state pension.

It will also become cheaper, in time, for the government with many of those in their 20s and 30s receiving less than they would under the old system.

Anything new by the Government is usually dressed up to look good but in the end all Governments try and do the same thing which is to save spending wherever they can ( unless its on themselves and their servants ). Although the new pension looked good the reality will be that there will be less money spent on the new scheme and more so over time, maybe thats why they try and make them so confusing for people to understand, more wriggle room, they are deliberately complicated to reduce what is paid out.

All current pensioners at least know where they stand and wont get stressed out by all this new carp.

Quoting from the above ...

"But continued complexity is unavoidable in the short-run. There is a considerable risk of disillusionment as people start claiming pension incomes this year."

She said that some would receive a "nasty surprise" when they realised they would receive less than the advertised "flat-rate" of £155.65 a week.

... The DWP-spokesperson seems to forget that that 'nasty surprise' is partly due to her political masters having deliberately misled workers, in their announcements over the past few years, and especially pre-election, when they described the new pension-payment as being a "flat-rate" one ! wink.png

Clearly the term "flat-rate" means something different in normal English usage, to what was intended to be conveyed, indeed one might describe this as illegal or mis-selling or even fraudulent, were it done by a commercial pension-provider ! mad.gif

So please let's be clear about where the blame lies, for the falsely-raised and now-dashed hopes of millions of elderly voters, this isn't some innocent misunderstanding but a massive failure-to-communicate-clearly over some years ! wink.png

They should never have used terms like 'flat-rate for all' without carefully-spelled-out caveats, unless that is what they meant, IMHO people approaching retirement were fully entitled to believe that ministers meant what they said, and to rely upon it when planning their post-retirement finances.

This is going to be a massive source of problems and disappointment, for millions of voters, over decades to come. facepalm.gif

quote 'flat-rate for all' unquote...... was only a political headline to get votes. biggrin.png

My thoughts are state pension amounts matter to retired people who want to stay in UK to live abroad if they have no other pension plans or enough money in savings to top up a state pension forget it.

Sadly many peoples dreams are shattered in retirement whether or not plans for retirement were in place.

Last time l heard from a UK friend who did not get a full pension he said it was topped up with social security payments.

Another dream I wonder what the reaction would be on everyone on UK frozen pensions getting together and notifying the UK government they are coming back to the UK. laugh.png

Anything new by the Government is usually dressed up to look good but in the end all Governments try and do the same thing which is to save spending wherever they can ( unless its on themselves and their servants ). Although the new pension looked good the reality will be that there will be less money spent on the new scheme and more so over time, maybe thats why they try and make them so confusing for people to understand, more wriggle room, they are deliberately complicated to reduce what is paid out.

All current pensioners at least know where they stand and wont get stressed out by all this new carp.

The government is to be congratulated on a brilliant public relations exercise. Under the guise of pension simplification, they have introduced a new state pension where most people will get less, including some (under 10 years contributions) who will get nothing at all, yet cause the general public to form the view that with a single wave of the hand, the state pension has been increased from £119 to £155.

The government is to be congratulated on a brilliant public relations exercise. Under the guise of pension simplification, they have introduced a new state pension where most people will get less, including some (under 10 years contributions) who will get nothing at all, yet cause the general public to form the view that with a single wave of the hand, the state pension has been increased from £119 to £155.

To quote Paul Daniels (who sadly passed away last month)

And that's magic, folks.

Politicians are like semi successful magicians.

They can make money disappear (but not come back ) and they believe that the public believes them.

To quote Paul Daniels (who sadly passed away last month)

And that's magic, folks.

Politicians are like semi successful magicians.

They can make money disappear (but not come back ) and they believe that the public believes them.

From the Moody Blues song "In the Beginning"

I think

I think I am

Therefore I am

I think

Of course you are my bright little star

I've miles and miles of files, pretty files of your forefather's fruit

And now to suit our great computer

You're magnetic ink

I'm more than that

I know I am

At least, I think

I must be

There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Face piles and piles of trials with smiles

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave

And keep on thinking free

The media is as guilty as the government for misinformation. The new system may be here but the old one has not gone. Anyone retiring at the moment will have their pension calculated under both the old and the new and will receive the higher amount of the 2 calculations.

Nobody can be any worse off than they would have been under the old system until the old system is discontinued. The worse off scenario will come about when the new system flies solo and without a doubt gain momentum as the years go by. I just hope the youngsters of today are taking it in.

The media is as guilty as the government for misinformation. The new system may be here but the old one has not gone. Anyone retiring at the moment will have their pension calculated under both the old and the new and will receive the higher amount of the 2 calculations.

Nobody can be any worse off than they would have been under the old system until the old system is discontinued. The worse off scenario will come about when the new system flies solo and without a doubt gain momentum as the years go by. I just hope the youngsters of today are taking it in.

I tell my grandson to get a job in government -- or go off the grid ;)

Cannot see much of a difference,one at £119 the other £155. If contracted out,pay less of a stamp then the £155 goes all the way down to £119,but you walk away with probably a lot higher second pension too,something like the old one £119,but then SSP was added,but that in turn is now reduced by CPI increases ,not triple locked

We can also be in a country and not living in it. Who decides whether or not we are actually living in the country?

We can also be in a country and not living in it. Who decides whether or not we are actually living in the country?

Sorry but that attempt at verbal gymnastics is incomprehensible.

Can you try explaining that again, using simple English ?

Yes, if you are on holiday in a country, it could be for six days or six months.

Who decides whether you are on holiday, or actually living there, is that English easy enough for you to understand? There are a lot of Thaivisa members whose first language is not English, but that's ok, we can make allowances for that.

Yes, if you are on holiday in a country, it could be for six days or six months.

Who decides whether you are on holiday, or actually living there, is that English easy enough for you to understand? There are a lot of Thaivisa members whose first language is not English, ...................

You need to read the rules posted out to pensioners about travelling and living away. If you are not a pensioner yourself yet - take a look at the website - I'm pretty sure the rules will be there. ;)

Well yes but it is understandable if you have UK resident address and be pensioner who can afford to be out of the country.

Archived