UK pensions

I renewed my licence this evening while still in UK, or at least I think I have smile.png

same here ,filled in a form ,went to the registered office and handed it in . no problem .

did the same for my passport .

Edited by i claudius

Hi All,

FYI: I'm currently in UK and have this evening tried to register and use the Govt gateway in order to apply for state pension forecast. As soon as i entered my passport details I was fobbed off at the high port with some old chestnut about "you have lived or worked abroad' & offered a link that I had naively assumed had been superseded by the online process. I gave them a flea in the ear via the feedback form that appeared after the failed attempt.

I didn't bother trying to renew my UK driving licence...

Note: Gateway currently sends a 4 digit code to UK landline or mob no's every time you log in so you can more or less forget about trying to do anything from Thailand.

On a lighter note I was able to establish that my state pension age will be 66 years and 6 months/11 years from now.

It may not be of help to you, but for people already registered with Gateway the service is now working.

I had a 6 digit code sent to my Thailand phone as part of the new log-in process within 30 seconds of requesting it.

Edited by bouph12

Hi All,

FYI: I'm currently in UK and have this evening tried to register and use the Govt gateway in order to apply for state pension forecast. As soon as i entered my passport details I was fobbed off at the high port with some old chestnut about "you have lived or worked abroad' & offered a link that I had naively assumed had been superseded by the online process. I gave them a flea in the ear via the feedback form that appeared after the failed attempt.

I didn't bother trying to renew my UK driving licence...

Note: Gateway currently sends a 4 digit code to UK landline or mob no's every time you log in so you can more or less forget about trying to do anything from Thailand.

On a lighter note I was able to establish that my state pension age will be 66 years and 6 months/11 years from now.

It may not be of help to you, but for people already registered with Gateway the service is now working.

I had a 6 digit code sent to my Thailand phone as part of the new log-in process within 30 seconds of requesting it.

About as much use as a hole in the head. What is the point in sending the code to your Thailand phone if they then refuse to give you the forecast? bah.gif

The digital service is currently unable to calculate your UK State Pension forecast as you've lived or worked abroad.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

Just a couple of questions

I have now arranged to have my UK pension paid to my Thai bank account.

1. I understand that the first payment will be approx up to seven days later. Is this correct? and

2. I also understand that subsequent four weekly payments will arrive on your allocated day subject of course to US/UK/Thai bank holidays. Again, is this correct?

To me it is pot luck when it arrives...

They made a cock up of payments/information, long story but loads of phone calls. emails and Recorded letters it was sorted out on 26 Jan 2016.....

Pay day for my UK state pension is Monday, on 28th March they sent 3 x 4 weekly payments [Dec to begining of March] in one lot, checking every day it appeared in my Thai Account on 18th April.. so took 3 weeks !! the March payment took 12 days to appear in my account. next pay day is 9th May no idea when that will arrive, as said appears pot luck.

Another shock.... best I can work out the total charge was £62...... [entered the full amount per 4 weeks x 3 and converted to THB = £62 short]

Took a lot of time and effort to check + phone call in May 2015 to DWP, back then was fine to use Bangkok Bank Branch in London, they DWP in Newcastle even sent a letter to me stating the day and date transfer would be made to Bangkok Bank London........ Bangkok Bank London transfer same day to the Thai account and total cost is £15 per transaction. I do have a Private Pension and this is paid via London Branch, fast and fuss free, in my account next day.

1. I understand that the first payment will be approx up to seven days later. Is this correct? and

2. I also understand that subsequent four weekly payments will arrive on your allocated day subject of course to US/UK/Thai bank holidays. Again, is this correct?

They made a cock up of payments/information, long story but loads of phone calls. emails and Recorded letters it was sorted out on 26 Jan 2016.....

Pay day for my UK state pension is Monday, on 28th March they sent 3 x 4 weekly payments [Dec to begining of March] in one lot, checking every day it appeared in my Thai Account on 18th April.. so took 3 weeks !! the March payment took 12 days to appear in my account. next pay day is 9th May no idea when that will arrive, as said appears pot luck.

Another shock.... best I can work out the total charge was £62...... [entered the full amount per 4 weeks x 3 and converted to THB = £62 short]

Took a lot of time and effort to check + phone call in May 2015 to DWP, back then was fine to use Bangkok Bank Branch in London, they DWP in Newcastle even sent a letter to me stating the day and date transfer would be made to Bangkok Bank London........ Bangkok Bank London transfer same day to the Thai account and total cost is £15 per transaction. I do have a Private Pension and this is paid via London Branch, fast and fuss free, in my account next day.

I reckon your problem is getting payment via London, my state pension is paid by IPC using Citibank direct into my Thai bank a/c every Thursday now at no cost instead of the Monday but that's another story,

Edited by Kwasaki

I reckon your problem is getting payment via London, my state pension is paid by IPC using Citibank direct into my Thai bank a/c every Thursday now at no cost instead of the Monday but that's another story,

Me too, it's Thursday today, dosh ain't there, hope not another problem...facepalm.gif

I said May 2015....... from end of November 2015 so say rules changed [can only be paid into a Bank in the Country you reside otherwise classed as a 3rd Party Bank]

So my pension could only be paid via Citibank direct into my Thai bank in Thailand .[bangkok Bank]... took 21 days to arrive [2 phone calls to the call centre Wolverhampton + 1x letter + 2 emails from Newcastle all stating the same day and date], ........the last one for beginning of April 2016 took 12 days !!! from the day they said they sent it and it appearing in my account.

Edit: Maybe cannot work it out correct...... State Pension = £412,68p every 4 weeks... amount received in updating Passbook April 16,885.05 THB.. is that correct ? The Jan + Feb + March which were all sent together as one payment = 50,340.31 THB

That is direct via Citibank to Bangkok Bank Thailand............ I cannot work out 'now at no cost' what have I got wrong ?

Edited by ignis

I said May 2015....... from end of November 2015 so say rules changed [can only be paid into a Bank in the Country you reside otherwise classed as a 3rd Party Bank]

So my pension could only be paid via Citibank direct into my Thai bank.[bangkok Bank]... took 21 days to arrive [2 phone calls to the call centre + 1x letter + 2 emails from Newcastle all stating the same day and date], ........the last one for April 2016 took 12 days !!! from the day they said they sent it and it appearing in my account.

. . . from end of November 2015 so say rules changed [can only be paid into a Bank in the Country you reside otherwise classed as a 3rd Party Bank

Interesting. For more than a decade, since retiring to SE Asia, I have had my state and private pensions paid into an offshore account in Jersey. The payments are still arriving (taxed at source, of course) on schedule. Could this be because of the island's status as UK crown dependency? Or is there some other explanation?

. . . from end of November 2015 so say rules changed [can only be paid into a Bank in the Country you reside otherwise classed as a 3rd Party Bank

Interesting. For more than a decade, since retiring to SE Asia, I have had my state and private pensions paid into an offshore account in Jersey. The payments are still arriving (taxed at source, of course) on schedule. Could this be because of the island's status as UK crown dependency? Or is there some other explanation?

No idea...... it is what both Wolverhampton + Newcastle have told me......... the old boy [now in his 80's] in the next Village still gets both his Private and State Pension next day. via BACS payment to Bangkok London Branch...

even today the DWP website do not state this + says it can go into any Bank + in anyone's name you have access to !! likewise the Bangkok Bank website also is very clear on receiving UK state pension via there London Branch......... So where this so say new rule from November 2015 has come from have no idea.. maybe it is for New accounts/payments

I can't be bothered to read back to see if this has been covered before.

If a person has a bank account in the UK, you don't have to close it if

you move to Thailand, just give them your Thai address and keep it

active, like having things paid in or paying your credit card min by DD.

I'm speaking for one particular bank, Lloyds, don't know about others.

The information is correct as of today, as I went with someone to a

Lloyds branch and he spoke with the manager.

Subject to you having a UK address.

When your debit/credit card is up for renewal and you don't have a UK address then you'll have a problem.

My Lloyds branch manager said (2 years ago) however that they could not send new debit cards (and presumably cc) in the post to Thailand. So he arranged for mine to be renewed whilst I was still in the UK even though it was not due.

If this is still the case rather than give them a Thai address may be better to use a trusted friend/relative's in the UK.

Edit - did not see post above.

Edited by topt

It is down to bank policy.

About 2 years ago I had an email from HSBC asking me to go the bank to discuss the account. I replied that I was out of the country and would be back in about 4 months. They said to make an appointment at the first opportunity.

When I went to the appointment the guy almost straight away said that they had reason to believe that I was living abroad. I have no idea how they came by that but felt it safer to be honest. He then explained that it was not company policy to maintain accounts for people living abroad. He then went on to say that as the account was quite active, I have a small pension paid in to that account, they were prepared to keep it open for the time being but the decision could be reversed at any time. I had to supply them with my Thai address and details of my Thai bank account.

I use an online postal service as a UK address and they may have picked up on that. They were quite happy to keep that as an address but they will not send cards to there or Thailand, I get my son to collect from the branch.

Me too, it's Thursday today, dosh ain't there, hope not another problem...facepalm.gif

Starting to think my text was late and realised another holiday today.

Subject to you having a UK address.

When your debit/credit card is up for renewal and you don't have a UK address then you'll have a problem.

Well I'll give my situation as post #2126 states it's bank policy and believe it or not how much dosh you have got with them.

You do not have to have UK address with all UK banks, I do not, I only have a Thai address which my UK bank uses to send renewed debit cards & my credit card to my Thai wife and me.

My Barclay's branch wouldn't do it or my Nationwide branch so drew money and dumped them.

The First Direct online 24 / 7 bank I cannot speak highly enough about and they are a member of the HSBC group. clap2.gif

• Like 2

Hmmmm, still no payment cos of this long bank holiday, looks like a forced diet until Monday...facepalm.gif

May 9 Monday 2016 Royal Ploughing Ceremony Day

National holiday

laugh.pnglaugh.png

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerk........my desk chair broke today too, spread eagled on the floor, Mrs.Trans thought I was electrocuted by the PC, ATM ate my card.....sad.png

Fink I will go to bed early, but the floor may open up........facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Hmmmm, still no payment cos of this long bank holiday, looks like a forced diet until Monday...facepalm.gif

May 9 Monday 2016 Royal Ploughing Ceremony Day

National holiday

laugh.pnglaugh.png

Its not listed on the Bank of Thailand's Bank Holidays for 2016,hopefully the Banks will be open?.

Or it will be over a week,from when I sent my transfer :-(

But I need to go on a diet anyway!

• Like 1

I got caught like that last month during Songkran but it wasn't too bad as my wife and son were away and didn't come back until the Friday and only half the family came up and only for a couple of days.

Plenty of food in the fridge and freezer and plenty of whisky, soda and ice and a stack of Ebooks, movies and old TV series to keep me going.

Saying that I also need to diet and exercise but I can always do that tomorrow or the day after.

• Like 1

Re Online Pension Forecast:

Dear Evadgib

About your recent email

Thank you for your email of ******

Unfortunately you may be among a small number of users that we have identified as not currently able to access the digital service. This is a test service still under development and is currently not open to customers who have lived abroad.

We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you and can offer to provide you with a State Pension statement via post. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as possible

We thank you for taking the time to test our new digital service and apologise for the inconvenience caused

We can issue you with a State Pension Statement which will confirm the number of qualifying years you have on your National Insurance (NI) record and how much State Pension this is worth today.

To get a State Pension statement of your State Pension amount up to the last tax year currently held on your National Insurance record you can telephone 0345 3000 168 (+44 191 218 3600) Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm UK time. An agent will complete the application form with you over the telephone. Or you can complete and return the attached application form.

If you have any further queries once you have received your State Pension statement, please contact us on the above number and an agent will be happy to assist you further.

Important: For security reasons DWP cannot discuss personal information with you over email. DWP will never ask you to send any usernames, passwords, personal, health/medical or bank account information via email and we will not process such information if you do send it - it will be deleted.

Where to get more information

If you want more information about anything in this email, please get in touch with us. The address and phone number are at the end of this email.

Yours sincerely

<Name>
Correspondence Officer

Our address The Pension Service 9
Mail Handling Site A
WOLVERHAMPTON
WV98 1LU

Our phone number 0345 300 0168
+44(0)191 218 3600

If you have a textphone 0845 300 0169

Email fp

...having done the above by phone a few mins ago while still in UK I await the arrival of their paperwork ('10 working days'-For convenience I had it sent to my UK billing address) before establishing how far the NI goalposts have moved.

I return to LoS next week.

...having done the above by phone a few mins ago while still in UK I await the arrival of their paperwork ('10 working days'-For convenience I had it sent to my UK billing address) before establishing how far the NI goalposts have moved.

I return to LoS next week.

Well they are certainly improving on some things. I did my last one just over the 2 years before my pension, would have been about 6 years ago now and it took about 10 weeks to come through.