Clinton's Help Sought In Bangkok Hotel Slaying Of Tampa Designer

webfact

Clinton's help sought in Thailand slaying of Tampa designer

WASHINGTON: -- Sen. Bill Nelson on Tuesday asked the State Department to intervene in the case of a South Tampa interior designer who was stabbed and choked to death last month in Thailand.

In a letter to Hilary Clinton, Nelson asked the U.S. secretary of state to urge the governments of India and Thailand to work together to catch the killer of Wendy Albano.

Officials said they believe the suspect fled to India after killing Albano in her Bangkok hotel room Feb. 12.

The man, described as Albano's business associate, was seen on a hotel surveillance camera entering her room. He left about an hour later with luggage in his hands.

When inquiring about the case through the U.S. embassy in New Dehli, Nelson was told that law enforcement in Thailand and India were in contact with each other but the situation was in the hands of the Thai and Indian governments.

Full story: http://www2.tbo.com/...mpa--ar-368684/

-- TBO.com 2012-03-14

footer_n.gif

related topic:

American Woman Stabbed To Death At Fraser Suite Hotel In Bangkok

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/533470-american-woman-stabbed-to-death-at-fraser-suite-hotel-in-bangkok/

"...Nelson was told that law enforcement in Thailand and India were in contact with each other but the situation was in the hands of the Thai and Indian governments."

And, sadly, that should be the end of it. The Royal Thai Police are utterly incompetent and corrupt (I remember a great anecdote about a young college professor, new to Thailand who stopped to eat lunch at Chulalongkorn University. At the food stand, there was a commotion because a large snake was lying in the grass right next to the booth. Two police officers stood nearby chatting. The professor asked a student, "Why don't they help?" The student said, bluntly, "The snake doesn't have money.") and India is actually worse. Unfortunately, law enforcement is one of the most obvious obstacles to further development in Thailand. If you want justice in South/Southeast Asia, you need a small fortune or serious diplomatic pressure from the highest levels of your own government. Perhaps something can be done if Clinton gets involved. They did get Viktor Bout and the terror warning through/around the vast asteroid belt that is the Thai government (and general mentality).

Edited by Unkomoncents
  • Like 2

This is great news! Bad international publicity for Thailand means a motivated investigation. If only some of these other questionable deaths could receive attention as well. Unfortunately, Clinton will do little except maybe a bit of lip service but the exposure will help. Maybe the Brits will get involved in some of their murders, ie; the British couple in Thai resort murdered in another thread.

Edited by Markaew

This is great news! Bad international publicity for Thailand means a motivated investigation. If only some of these other questionable deaths could receive attention as well. Unfortunately, Clinton will do little except maybe a bit of lip service but the exposure will help. Maybe the Brits will get involved in some of their murders, ie; the British couple in Thai resort murdered in another thread.

Why is this death questionable and why would one foreigner killing another foreigner make Thailand look bad? Should the police station a policeman in every hotel room to ensure one foreigner doesn't kill another or maybe immigration should hold all out going foreigners in an airport cell for a specified period to help ensure they have not committed any undiscovered crimes before they leave.

Having video of the only other person entering and leaving the room at the time of death kind of makes this a very unquestionable murder as murders go around the world ... as does the accused fleeing the country right after the murder and as of yet reporting to police for questioning of his partners death.

If we somebody was to generalize or be bigoted then it would seem it should be the Thais pointing to this as another example of foreigners coming to Thailand making problems.

Edited by Nisa

Does the FBI need to be told?

They probably already have this person on their radar since the suspect is probably on an Interpol fugitive list.

Edited by Nisa

I have to wonder how any fugitive can be found in a country like India if the person breaks off old ties and move to another location. It also amazes how Thailand catches so many fugitives in this country and obviously has to do with aggressive hunts for the fugitives unlike the US where most wanted people simply pop up on the radar through passive investigations such as every contact be it a traffic stop or reporting a crime will get your info run through a national database for warrants .... not to mention the scanners they use to read hundreds if not thousands of license plates within minutes and be able to associate that car with anyone who has been stopped in it previously. Although Thailand has great technology built into their IDs, it is not like the police on the street have the ability to take advantage of that technology let alone get a criminal check on 99% of the people they come in contact with.

Whilst not a great fan of America it does seem to be one of the few countries that actively cares for its citizens abroad.

I am an American and trust me, it has nothing to do with concern. It is a way to earn points at home by acting as a bully caretaker when it comes to citizens abroad ... there is a large portion of the population that could care less about the quality or intelligence of their elected officials but do love them if they act like John Wayne.

If other countries had the power to grant favors or inflect pain as easily as the US then chances are the too would "care" about their citizens overseas.

• Like 1

Yes a USA citizen was killed abroad,

and FBI is the federal international liaison with other police forces world wide.

It also offers topnotch forensic and logistic support for cross border investigations.

Yes a USA citizen was killed abroad,

and FBI is the federal international liaison with other police forces world wide.

It also offers topnotch forensic and logistic support for cross border investigations.

...told to do its job (previous post)... it appears the FBI is already on the case ("meddling")... and is asking for Thai and Indian law-enforcement cooperation

Edited by Reasonableman

I have to wonder how any fugitive can be found in a country like India if the person breaks off old ties and move to another location. It also amazes how Thailand catches so many fugitives in this country and obviously has to do with aggressive hunts for the fugitives unlike the US where most wanted people simply pop up on the radar through passive investigations such as every contact be it a traffic stop or reporting a crime will get your info run through a national database for warrants .... not to mention the scanners they use to read hundreds if not thousands of license plates within minutes and be able to associate that car with anyone who has been stopped in it previously. Although Thailand has great technology built into their IDs, it is not like the police on the street have the ability to take advantage of that technology let alone get a criminal check on 99% of the people they come in contact with.

I'm not into plugging the US at all, but American law enforcement is 1,000 times what anyone could muster in Thailand, and that's just a point of fact. I'll never forget the sight, during the police raid in Bangkok to capture the Red Shirt leaders, of the fat one climbing out the back window to escape using sheets that he'd tied together. Whoever the police claim loyalty to here, they are a constant source of embarrassment for Thailand.

• Like 1

The US must be the only country in the world that meddles in police investigations. Imagine Thais telling the FBI to go to work.

I think it's good to see a country looking out for their citizens. They couldn't stop the killing of this poor lady but wan't to see those responsible caught. Other countries should take note.

Whilst not a great fan of America it does seem to be one of the few countries that actively cares for its citizens abroad.

Unless his name is Joe Gordon.......

Citizens living abroad are advised to follow the laws of the country. If they do not, they are provided consular services during their trial.

Comparing a case of Les Majeste and murder is really not quite relevant to the topic of this thread.

• Like 1

I am an American and trust me, it has nothing to do with concern. It is a way to earn points at home by acting as a bully caretaker when it comes to citizens abroad ... there is a large portion of the population that could care less about the quality or intelligence of their elected officials but do love them if they act like John Wayne.

If other countries had the power to grant favors or inflect pain as easily as the US then chances are the too would "care" about their citizens overseas.

Act like John Wayne? Like weasel their way out of military service when his country was at war? My understanding is that he is held in total contempt by former memers of the USMC,

Many of the post here show total ignorance of the US. If you know someone in the government or you are famous then they will look into the case maybe, how about old David Carridine(grasshopper) his family asked for FBI help and didn't get it. There was no public announcement of help in the death of the marine boxer in Phuket.

Look guys people die and or killed everyday worldwide you cannot expect Hilary to butt in on every case. You take your chances living in Southest Asia if you cannot handle the responsibility of your own life then think about a relocation else where, were it is safer maybe. The city I come from has over 1oo murders a year mostly drug related and crimes of passion. I feel a lot safer in Thailand than at home.

Act like John Wayne? Like weasel their way out of military service when his country was at war? My understanding is that he is held in total contempt by former memers of the USMC,

I was speaking in general terms but if you are referring to the Sen. Bill Nelson ... He served his country as a captain in the U.S. Army from 1965 to 1971, both on active duty and in the Reserve. Not to mention he was a crew member of the Space Shuttle Columbia spending time in outer space.

Many of the post here show total ignorance of the US. If you know someone in the government or you are famous then they will look into the case maybe, how about old David Carridine(grasshopper) his family asked for FBI help and didn't get it. There was no public announcement of help in the death of the marine boxer in Phuket.

Look guys people die and or killed everyday worldwide you cannot expect Hilary to butt in on every case. You take your chances living in Southest Asia if you cannot handle the responsibility of your own life then think about a relocation else where, were it is safer maybe. The city I come from has over 1oo murders a year mostly drug related and crimes of passion. I feel a lot safer in Thailand than at home.

Nobody has said the FBI will be involved in this case either. However, they do look into many cases overseas regardless if famous or not. They generally get involved in high profile case and/or when they can actually help. In this case how is it they can help? This is a matter of finding an Indian dude in India. It is not like they need the FBI forensic team's help or financial tracking capabilities. India simply needs to make some inquiries as to where this guy may be and follow-up on the leads and then do it again in another year or so when the guy feels like they forgot about him .. either that or hope he surfaces somewhere but again, it is not like the US where you have greater odds of getting your ID checked and run through computers for warrants ... especially if you are on the run on the streets scared to show up at any relative's house.