What Laptop For 15,000 To 20,000 Baht And Where From?

Learned

I'm going to be shopping for a new laptop soon and was wondering where to get one from in Bangkok and what type I should go for in the budget models for best value.

Would you go to Pantip Plazza or is it best to go to a department store like Powermall in Paragon or Powerbuy in Centeral?

Ideally I am after something like this:

13" screen

1366 x 768 screen res but preferably bigger

HDMI out

4 GB ram but expandable to 8 GB would be nice - would you recommend buying one with more RAM or adding more yourself?

Is USB 3 worth having?

What sort of processor should I aim for?

It will mainly be used for MS Office, viewing large photos, watching high res video, a bit of Photoshop and having lots of browser tabs open. I won't be playing games on it.

I currently use Win XP which I am happy with but could be tempted to go for Win 7.

Thanks.

For that much money I would go for a Lenovo.

I just bought one 6 months ago for 22K and I am very happy with it. Its very durable compared to the Acer I had which bits and peices kept falling off as I am on the road a lot seeing clients.

CPU depends on what you want to use it for? Games? Applications? or just surfing the net?

I would go with Windows 7. I have had it for 2 years and its only crashed on me twice when I had about 10 programs on it at once. XP used to crash when ever it feels like it wants a break.

I can't even use XP anymore, its garbage.

Tesco and BigC have various 14" screen machines, 4Gb RAM, for 14+k Baht. Thai keyboard and no operating system (OS) installed. If you buy from them, keep your sales docket, if anything stuffs up just take the machine and docket back and ask for a new one!

No operating system - no problem. Using a friend's computer, load a linux system - I like mint 11, but mint 12 is more modern - onto a 4gb 'live usb'. Just google 'how to make a linux mint11 live usb...' - easy if a simpleton like me can understand, anyone can.

OK, now put the stick in your comp, turn the comp on, and tell it to open from the usb (need to get into your BIOS - google 'how to ....' on another computer before doing this, if you are not already savy).

Now you have good non-Windows OS. But maybe you would also like to use Windows?

At present, you can download for free windows 8 preview (just google it). Load it onto another 4Gb usb stick (but if your new comp is 64-bit rather than 32bit/i386, you will need an 8Gb usb) using the windows usb download tool (google it).

OK, to use both windows and linux as operating systems, you will need to start the comp from the win8 usb, which will wipe out your linux OS. But that is OK, because you again insert your linux usb and reinstall it side-by-side with windows. You can tweak the startup arrangement so that, by default, you start in Windows.

Why have side-by-side operating systems? Because if one is having problems, you can still try to resolve the problem, using the other operating system to 'spy'.

Good luck, AA

Thanks guys. I did like the look of the lenovos but not sure if they are available at that low price.

My current computer struggles browsing through photos I have taken that are about 5mb in size. Ideally I want something that can flick through them like they are 500 kb.

I won't be playing games, just apps and lots of tabs open in Chrome and Firefox. Watching HD video would be nice too.

What do people think of USB 3?

There are a lot of deals on Lenovo's in both Fortune Tower and Pantip Plaza. Big-C sells them also at some very attractive prices but they are usually lower end models. One friend did buy a Lonovo there for less than B11,000 that had a dual core AMD processor, 4Mg ram and a 500G h.d. He then took it to Fortune and got a copy of Win-7 installed for about B300: small shop, 4th floor way in the back corner.

I would go either to Pantip or Fortune as you can negotiate a better deal than at Big C. or Lotus.

I have just bought a new Dell, 8 Gb Ram, Windows 7 64 bit, Intel i5 2.4ghz for 22,000 (free mouse, soft bag, keyboard cover as well)

There are a lot of deals on Lenovo's in both Fortune Tower and Pantip Plaza. Big-C sells them also at some very attractive prices but they are usually lower end models. One friend did buy a Lonovo there for less than B11,000 that had a dual core AMD processor, 4Mg ram and a 500G h.d. He then took it to Fortune and got a copy of Win-7 installed for about B300: small shop, 4th floor way in the back corner.

And if you want to stay legal and immune from Microsoft constantly reminding you of your piratical tendancies then Lenovo Service Centre (ground floor back left of Phantip will install a proper copy of Windows 7 for 3,900 baht - at least that was what they charged for doing it to a new X220 sold by the official Lenovo reseller on the 3rd floor 2 weeks ago). Non-pirate copies of Microsoft Office Home and Student can be bought for around 6,000 baht in the IT centre on the top floor of Phantip.

AMD's seems to be cheaper than their corresponding Intel's in the 11-13 inch 'mini' notebook or 'thin & light' notebook category. AMD E350 & E450 processors seem to be quite good, the former being a Dual core while the latter being Quad core. One can normally find them on 11 - 13 inch laptops. Computers having either of these processors have an HDMI output.The E450 processor usually has 8 GB ram capacity, usually 2-4 GB are sold standard with the notebook. MSI U270 (9k Baht) has the E350 processor (currently out of stock in Pantip) while the MSI X370 (13k Baht) is available. Samsung Mini 3 (11k - 13k Baht) come with both E350 & E450 processor specs. ASUS 1225 (13k Baht) is quite new with the E450 spec. HP dm1 (14k Baht) comes with E450 processor & Windows 7 Starter 32 bit.

Both the ASUS & HP also come with external DVD drive. Only the HP comes with the original Windows 7 starter program.

There main differences between these choices are the webcam specs (usually ranges from 0.3 MP to 2.0 MP), and the batteries (either 3 cell or 6 cell).

Do keep in mind that Windows 7 32 bit will only recognize and use 4 GB RAM even though one puts more physical RAM. I'm not sure but please check and confirm this - If one has the original Windows XP program or Windows 7 Starter, they can update to a more complete Windows 7 OS online for a fee.

Hope this helps :-)

Tesco and BigC have various 14" screen machines, 4Gb RAM, for 14+k Baht. Thai keyboard and no operating system (OS) installed. If you buy from them, keep your sales docket, if anything stuffs up just take the machine and docket back and ask for a new one!

No operating system - no problem. Using a friend's computer, load a linux system - I like mint 11, but mint 12 is more modern - onto a 4gb 'live usb'. Just google 'how to make a linux mint11 live usb...' - easy if a simpleton like me can understand, anyone can.

OK, now put the stick in your comp, turn the comp on, and tell it to open from the usb (need to get into your BIOS - google 'how to ....' on another computer before doing this, if you are not already savy).

At present, you can download for free windows 8 preview (just google it). Load it onto another 4Gb usb stick (but if your new comp is 64-bit rather than 32bit/i386, you will need an 8Gb usb) using the windows usb download tool (google it).

OK, to use both windows and linux as operating systems, you will need to start the comp from the win8 usb, which will wipe out your linux OS. But that is OK, because you again insert your linux usb and reinstall it side-by-side with windows. You can tweak the startup arrangement so that, by default, you start in Windows.

Why have side-by-side operating systems? Because if one is having problems, you can still try to resolve the problem, using the other operating system to 'spy'.

Good luck, AA

big C will install Win 7 for around 700 Baht.

Good luck, AA

That must be a pirate copy and can't be updated. The version I installed costs about 2400 Baht and I have the DVD (or CD) and serial number. Perfectly legal.

Edit: Typo

Edited by petedk

Good luck, AA

That must be a pirate copy and can't be updated. The version I installed costs about 2400 Baht and I have the DVD (or CD) and serial number. Perfectly legal.

Edit: Typo

Nope full OEM version with license.

I bought couple of days ago Lenovo Edge E320 which seems to be pretty good on the specs. Comes with i5 core, 13.3 inch 1366x768 display, 2GB memory (I added 4GB, so total of 6GB). I'm running kubuntu 11.10 and pretty happy so far. I'm planing to run apache on the laptop for local web site development.

Price was a bit over you limit, 23100 including 4GB additional memory.

http://notebookspec.com/notebook/4045-ThinkPad-Edge-E320-1298RZ2.html

ACER all the way. Using Acer laptops since almost 10 years, mostly on 24 hours, and never had any problem.

Acer service center is allso the best in Thailand, they are easy and just change the parts immediately without having to wait.

I usually pay 2000 thb more for 3 years garanty to be sure to use my laptops 3 years at least whatever happens !

People who do not like Acer do not know what they are talking about.

Nope full OEM version with license.

good joke, just because you see windows activated and you're going on windows update, doesn't mean it is genuine.

price is 3400 baht for basic home version of windows 7, around 2400 for OEM versions no less than that.

Edited by NHJ