Self-Defense Within Your Home

connda

The truth? According to mostly men who love playing soldier.

Of course your entitled to your opinion....(but do you need so many pictures :) )

Actually that truth is the Constitutional / Forefathers truth.

Government could be within or without

Anyway as someone else mentioned it is a home defense thread.

Sorry if I took it off topic by replying to the one statement I did regarding purpose.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There have been alot of previous comments on other threads to the effect of "I'm not British...I'm Welsh"..."I'm not British...I'm Scottish"...Apparently England, Scotland, and Wales are deemed to be different "countries", and frankly for those of us who do not live there, do not understand the purported difference in the administration of your various "countries".

They're not 'deemed to be' separate countries. They are separate countries. Wales and England share the same legal system but Scotland has a different legal system.

There's no direct equivalent of the Home Office in the US. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Home_office

Edited by endure

OK, so what is the proper way to refer to the aggregate of the peoples of the various "countries" that encompass the "Island in the Atlantic Ocean."

I thought I was referencing statistics for "Great Britain" and the response is "I was referring to Great Britain and not the U.K.". What is the difference? I would assume that the United Kingdom, refers to the union of each separate country that makes up the United Kingdom. I also thought Great Britain was synonymous with the United Kingdom. So what is the difference? I am not trying to make an argument here, I really don't know.

I have made previous posts referring to people from said "Island in the Atlantic Ocean" as the British, or the English, and then I get responses that "I am not English...I am Welsh...I am Scottish...I am Irish". I really do not want to go through the effort of referring to people from "the Island" as "The English, Scots, Welsh, and Irish" in each reference from anyone from "the Island". The people of the island refer to the Americans as the "Yanks", the Australians as the Ozzies, the New Zealanders as "The Kiwis", the Canadians as "Canooks"...so what is the proper way to refer to the various countries that comprise the United Kingdom or Great Britain (still don't know the difference between the two)?

So is it the United Kingdom, or is it Great Britain? Is it the "British" or do I have always say "English, Scot, Welsh, and Irish"?

http://en.wikipedia....i/Great_Britain

http://en.wikipedia..../United_Kingdom

'Great Britain' is the island which comprises England, Scotland and Wales.

The 'UK' (the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) is the sovereign state which includes Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland.

It gets a bit complicated when there's 2000+ years of history in the pot.

I'm British (a citizen of the UK) but I'm an Englishman as I was born in England.

Ok, I guess that helps a little.

So may I refer to a Welshman, Scottsman or Englishman as "British"?

So if you are born in England, are you a citizen of England? Or are you a citizen of the U.K.? And is your passport issued by the U.K.? Or is it issued by England? And can you move to Scotland, or Wales? Or do you have to get a visa?

If you're born in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland you're a British citizen. It's not possible to be a citizen of England because England isn't a sovereign state. You can move anywhere you want within the UK without needing a visa or a passport. You can even move to Ireland (which is a separate sovereign nation) without a visa. In fact if you're an Irish citizen resident in the UK you can vote in UK elections.

So if you are born in England, are you a citizen of England? Or are you a citizen of the U.K.? And is your passport issued by the U.K.? Or is it issued by England? And can you move to Scotland, or Wales? Or do you have to get a visa?

Lets try and explain it in an American context, you lot are all American citizen's, but you come from one of the 50 states that make up the US...in a similar way...British citizens can come from England, Ireland Scotland or Wales...but they are all still British...instead of being "states" as in the US....England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales are technically separate countries but are ruled under a unified country ie the "United Kingdom"

• Like 1

Lets try and explain it in an American context, you lot are all American citizen's, but you come from one of the 50 states that make up the US...in a similar way...British citizens can come from England, Ireland Scotland or Wales...but they are all still British...instead of being "states" as in the US....England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales are technically separate countries but are ruled under a unified country ie the "United Kingdom"

yes ,but you forgot

Ireland is Independant of british rule and only 1/4of Ireland (Northern Ireland ) is considered a part of britain

The other 75% of ireland is a republic ,a freestate country of its own and a member country of the Eurozone

since around 2000

Irish people have irish passports ,spend euro currency and many would detest the thought of being called british

as much as a american would like to be called a canadian ,a kiwi caled an australian ,a dutchman called german ,

an asian from singapore ,korea ,malasia being called chinese etc ...........:)

Glossary:

UK: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britiain : The Island of Britain including all smaller Islands surrounding it, but does not include Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Channel Isles or Shetland & Orkneys.

Britain : The Island of Britain. Britain is made up of 2 countries, and a principality.. Each country is a FORMER soverign state and is legally recognised as the UK.

Scotland is a country in the UK.

England & Wales is a country in the UK. England & Wales are one country. Wales is not a country in the UK and neither is just England. They are actually one and the same. England being the Kingdom and Wales being the Principality of the Kingdom of England.

Northern Ireland is a province and not a country.

There are only two countries in the UK. England & Wales and Scotland.

The Capital of the UK is London. The Capital of England is London. The Capital of Scotland is Edinburgh. The Capital of Wales is Cardiff. The Capital of Northern Ireland is Belfast.

There is a special administrative area in the UK, which enjoys soverignty outside of the UK. As state within a state.

This is the City of London. Not to be confused with Central London or just London.

The Queen is not the Sovereign and UK Law does not apply to the City of London.

Edited by autan

A good rule of thumb is this.

If you live in Northern Ireland, then you will either consider yourself either Irish or British. (A long standing dispute that even I am not getting into on here).

If you live in Britain, then normally you will consider yourself :

1. Just British.

2. British + (English, Scottish, Welsh)

3. Just English, Scottish Welsh.

If you live in England (I'll let our resident Scot, explain their system), but in England, it is subdivided even more, such as.

I am British, I am also English, I am also Lancastrian, I am also from Preston, not just Preston, but South Ribble, Not just South Ribble but West South Ribble, not just West South Ribble but North of Leyland, South of Preston, East of Longton, West of Lostock Hall and at the bottom of our street at the side facing the church.

You get my point. Were all the same but love to have differences. Thats the essence of being human.

yes ,but you forgot

Ireland is Independant of british rule and only 1/4of Ireland (Northern Ireland ) is considered a part of britain

The other 75% of ireland is a republic ,a freestate country of its own and a member country of the Eurozone

since around 2000

You are correct, I did actually leave that bit out for the purposes of simplicity, not wanting to get into the Northern Ireland, Irish republic debate

So correct my post it should read, Northern Ireland as opposed to just simply saying Ireland

^^

To all the posters, thank you for explaining the rather complicated and convoluted British system to me.

But please dont start asking about British laws, even today believe there is still a law on the books, which requires under the pain of death, that all British males practice with their long bows on the village green on a sunday afternoon... LOL

When the country you live in will not allow the average citizen to protect themselves with force equal to that as wielded by an "outlaw", you quickly will become a victim.

No such thing as "equal force" all that happens is that outlaws get bigger guns thats all.

Having lived in a country were carrying concealed firearms were the norm, and I carried a firearm for many years, it didnt matter even if you were carrying .44 Magnum because the "outlaws" were carrying AK-47's. (real 7.62mm fellows) and I can assure you an AK tops any handgun in a p*ssing match.

So based on your flawed logic...what would be the next step ?....allow everyone to carry assualt rifle to match equal force ?

Having lived in that sort of enviroment, I can assure you, banning firearms completely, and only putting them in the hands of the police (so they can shoot the "outlaws") is a sensible step.

I'd go one step further and not put them in the hands of most police. I think gun crime stats from Britain vs the US speak volumes on this subject.

However, I could only find figures that were ten years old with a quick google so I'm ready to stand corrected:

(2002) Homicides in Great Britain involving a gun per 100,000 = 0.105 people

(2001) Homicides in USA involving a gun per 100,000 = 3.98 people

So, ten years ago at least, you were nearly 38 times more likely to get murdered in the USA by somebody with a gun than you were in Great Britain.

So what you're saying is that the US has a higher homicide rate because of guns? Yes? smile.png No? sad.png

Edited by connda

When the country you live in will not allow the average citizen to protect themselves with force equal to that as wielded by an "outlaw", you quickly will become a victim.

No such thing as "equal force" all that happens is that outlaws get bigger guns thats all.

Having lived in a country were carrying concealed firearms were the norm, and I carried a firearm for many years, it didnt matter even if you were carrying .44 Magnum because the "outlaws" were carrying AK-47's. (real 7.62mm fellows) and I can assure you an AK tops any handgun in a p*ssing match.

So based on your flawed logic...what would be the next step ?....allow everyone to carry assualt rifle to match equal force ?

Having lived in that sort of enviroment, I can assure you, banning firearms completely, and only putting them in the hands of the police (so they can shoot the "outlaws") is a sensible step.

I'd go one step further and not put them in the hands of most police. I think gun crime stats from Britain vs the US speak volumes on this subject.

However, I could only find figures that were ten years old with a quick google so I'm ready to stand corrected:

(2002) Homicides in Great Britain involving a gun per 100,000 = 0.105 people

(2001) Homicides in USA involving a gun per 100,000 = 3.98 people

So, ten years ago at least, you were nearly 38 times more likely to get murdered in the USA by somebody with a gun than you were in Great Britain.

So what you're saying is that the US has a higher homicide rate because of guns? Yes? smile.png No? sad.png

My take would be that the US has a higher homicide rate because of easy access to guns.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

^^

Did you not read the other posts? This is the homicide rate with a firearm. This is not the OVERALL homicide rate; the British homicide rate has not changed at all after the banning on guns took effect. It is not possible to make a similar comparison in the United States because the United States has never in its history banned firearms.

Edited by submaniac

To all the posters, thank you for explaining the rather complicated and convoluted British system to me.

Next step is explaining the rules of cricket to you . . . :)

Of course - and to dispute that would be to fly in the face of logic and reason.

^^

Yeah, what's up with cricket. All I know is there is a word "googly" in it. So a guy throws a ball at some sticks, and another guy tries to hit the ball with a bat before the ball hits the sticks? Is that how it works?

And why does every BBC television show--with the possible exception of Top Gear and Dr. Who--suck?

^^

Did you not read the other posts? This is the homicide rate with a firearm. This is not the OVERALL homicide rate; the British homicide rate has not changed at all after the banning on guns took effect. It is not possible to make a similar comparison in the United States because the United States has never in its history banned firearms.

I've got some interesting research to post this evening. Can't do it now, got to go work out.

Next step is explaining the rules of cricket to you . . . smile.png

Of course - and to dispute that would be to fly in the face of logic and reason.

^^

Yeah, what's up with cricket. All I know is there is a word "googly" in it. So a guy throws a ball at some sticks, and another guy tries to hit the ball with a bat before the ball hits the sticks? Is that how it works?

And why does every BBC television show--with the possible exception of Top Gear and Dr. Who--suck?

These chaps brought us Monty Python too. They can't be all that bad :)

• Like 1

^^

I've got some interesting research to post this evening. Can't do it now, got to go work out.

Actually, I'll post this before I go workout. What's the significance of this chart? What does it mean?

Homicides -- Can - US1.bmp

^^

Probably 'cos Brit and American humour are different in many ways.

^^

I believe that Australia's homicides due to guns has gone UP since the government basically banned guns in Australia. Canada has not allowed handguns to be carried for anything that taking them to and from an official shooting range on specific dates, but there are still murders every year by supposedly restricted weapons. Canada also hasn't had the death penalty for as far back as I can remember, but that hasn't stopped the homicide rate. And, it hasn't stopped police killing drunks while in jail, or tasoring a mentally handicapped tourist to death in an airport, or a policeman going onto a large private property and shooting the owner and his son for setting off noisemakers. In actual fact the gun laws don't seem to have any effect one way or another... other than restricting private ownership and costing a huge amount of money in administration... paid for by increased taxes.

• Like 1

^^

I know you are only referred to BBC, but some of the more popular shows in the US in recent years are based on a UK shows....ie "The Office" and my particular favourite..."Shameless"....although I have only watched a few episodes of the US version of Shameless I agree it does suck...not even close to the UK version

^^

Well, you asked for it . . . but don't take the piss because baseball is a direct descendant of cricket, only boring as . . .

Positions

cricket.jpg

Rules, a very, very abridged version

cricket2.jpg

• Like 1

^^

Well, you asked for it . . . but don't take the piss because baseball is a direct descendant of cricket, only boring as . . .

Positions

cricket.jpg

cricket2.jpg

I thought baseball was based on high school girls game called "Rounders"

^^

Actually you ae right. Crime rates actually went UP after the gun ban:

assault.gif

Total homocide rates increased since the ban in 1997:

homihisty.gif

Statistics from here http://www.gunsandcr...g/auresult.html

You are very, very liberal with your statistics . . . and very, very wrong. I did enough statistics at Uni to be able to skew anything you wish to make it look exactly the opposite but even I would have problems making your charts look like gun-related crime went up after '97 - unless you're saying it increased for a few months and has been deceasing ever since? Total crime increases mean nothing as that includes urinating in public, mooning the Queen etc....

Oh, and your source is quite pathetic, really . . . I mean, how much more biased do you want your sources to be when one of the first sentences on the site is:

This site is for people who care enough about violence, life, death, liberty and slavery to put in the effort to get the facts about guns—and then understand them. If you don't care enough to learn, please have the decency to avoid doing things that might eliminate the ability of others to protect themselves, their families, their neighbors, and you—or might steal the liberty of our descendants.

StatsIzUs

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Redneck Central

Edited by Sing_Sling

^^

Positions

cricket.jpg

cricket2.jpg

+1