Nissan Almera

Thanks 'rixalex'....it's good to hear that you don't have any major complains...I will go with the auto since that's the model with the ABS brakes and this is important to me...about the seat,yes,I have noticed,even that it has 3 controls it is still hard to find a comfortable spot...(my wife will feel good in it,I guess) biggrin.png ...the up-down lever makes the seat actually shorter (!),so the option is to get use to it,or replace with some Recaro or some second hand quality euro seat ...

...so I guess, this is still my no.1 choice in ECO cars...cheers smile.png

That's a wise choice regarding going for the auto because it has ABS. I forgot to mention that the brakes do lock up quite easy on mine - non ABS model - there have a been a couple of times when i really haven't been going that fast, and nor have i applied the brakes that hard, when they have locked and the car has gone into a skid. Luckily it has never led to anything nasty, just a case of quickly coming off the brakes and grip being regaining. But anyway, yes, ABS would be a good idea.

...yes,I think so....I would consider the manual,if it came with the ABS...it would be easier in the hills smile.png ...but I guess,they left this option out...sad.png

I know the auto starts from about 490k, but am i not right in saying that to get ABS, you need to buy the 600k baht top of the range version?

Nope. The Es has ABS. 523k I think.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A word of warning - Almera is a good car for city and flat roads, but the CVT version is hopeless on hills. Last weekend my friend's Almera tried to do a mountain trip. A few times passengers (4 passengers, 2 small and 2 average size) had to get out and walk to the top of the hill. And there wasn't much luggage. Honda waves were zooming past up the hill. Also, not much rear headroom for anyone over 1.7 m.

Otherwise, a nice car.

What? Are you implying that the car did not have enough power to get to the top of the hills. I say bullshit.

I think bullshit too.I use mine regularly going through the mountains from Petchebun to Pitsanulok. I can excelerate anywhere on the mountain and pass slow vehicles.

Also the thing about Thailand it isnot the car but the quality of the fuel. Buy gas from a station that is popular and the gas is at least as decent as it gets here. If you buy from a station that sells cheap gas you get poor quality for sure in Thailand.

As far as headroom is concerned I have a thai friend who is over 6 feet tall and weighs well over 250 pounds and he sits in the back seat with his wife when we go places and has plenty of room.I wonder if cbr250r has really ever been in an Almera.

Edited by lovelomsak

A word of warning - Almera is a good car for city and flat roads, but the CVT version is hopeless on hills. Last weekend my friend's Almera tried to do a mountain trip. A few times passengers (4 passengers, 2 small and 2 average size) had to get out and walk to the top of the hill. And there wasn't much luggage. Honda waves were zooming past up the hill. Also, not much rear headroom for anyone over 1.7 m.

Otherwise, a nice car.

What? Are you implying that the car did not have enough power to get to the top of the hills. I say bullshit.

I think bullshit too.I use mine regularly going through the mountains from Petchebun to Pitsanulok. I can excelerate anywhere on the mountain and pass slow vehicles.

Also the thing about Thailand it isnot the car but the quality of the fuel. Buy gas from a station that is popular and the gas is at least as decent as it gets here. If you buy from a station that sells cheap gas you get poor quality for sure in Thailand.

As far as headroom is concerned I have a thai friend who is over 6 feet tall and weighs well over 250 pounds and he sits in the back seat with his wife when we go places and has plenty of room.I wonder if cbr250r has really ever been in an Almera.

Last post from me re Almera - yes, I have been in an Almera. No, it is not bullshit. The car does not - repeat not - cope with steep inclines. I do not exaggerate about the experience - myself and 2 other passengers had to walk up a hill that the Almera could not manage with a full load. The claim by "lovelomsak" that "I can excelerate (sic) anywhere on the mountain and pass slow vehicles" sounds like someone trying to talk up second hand values already. This car with CVT is a cheap, reasonable little car for the city, but useless on steep roads. I suspect the manual is not so badly effected. Caveat emptor.

Last post from me re Almera - yes, I have been in an Almera. No, it is not bullshit. The car does not - repeat not - cope with steep inclines. I do not exaggerate about the experience - myself and 2 other passengers had to walk up a hill that the Almera could not manage with a full load. The claim by "lovelomsak" that "I can excelerate (sic) anywhere on the mountain and pass slow vehicles" sounds like someone trying to talk up second hand values already. This car with CVT is a cheap, reasonable little car for the city, but useless on steep roads. I suspect the manual is not so badly effected. Caveat emptor.

I, as already stated, have a manual, and having gone up a steep gradient quite recently, with three adults and luggage (fairly light luggage), i can actually believe what you are saying. I was quite surprised, because of how moderately perky i find it on the flat (considering and relative to its engine size), how strained it became on the gradient. So i can imagine, with CVT, an extra adult, and heavy luggage, that it could be a problem. Of course the vast majority of Thailand is however flat, and as i say, there is certainly no performance issue on the flat. Plus of course, you have to thank that small engine for delivering the economy it does. If you need more torque for going up steep hills, fine, get something else, and pay more every time you fill up. It's a trade off. Take your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Otherwise, a nice car.

For the life of me..my Thai wife wants to buy this log on wheels. I can't get it into her head, that the engine in this thing is the same one the Nissan March has, which is great for that car....not for the Almera. In addition, the car is 60kg heavier then the March and for an engine like that, it makes a difference. Is the Almera you have an automatic? I was thinking of getting the one with manual. Is it true that the air condition unit in the Almera is from that of a bigger engine model? I'm still in an argument with her to buy the thing. I still prefer the March over this sedan-thing. I also hate the way it sits low...how would it look with a lift-kit and maybe 15' rims on it?

For the life of me..my Thai wife wants to buy this log on wheels. I can't get it into her head, that the engine in this thing is the same one the Nissan March has, which is great for that car....not for the Almera. In addition, the car is 60kg heavier then the March and for an engine like that, it makes a difference. Is the Almera you have an automatic? I was thinking of getting the one with manual. Is it true that the air condition unit in the Almera is from that of a bigger engine model? I'm still in an argument with her to buy the thing. I still prefer the March over this sedan-thing. I also hate the way it sits low...how would it look with a lift-kit and maybe 15' rims on it?

Power thing depends where you live i guess. I've driven mine over 10,000k and on a variety of surfaces, situations, and only once had cause to question its power, going up a very steep incline near a dam. Really don't see how it can be an issue unless you live on a mountain. If it is an issue, having a March instead of an Almera really won't make much difference.

And from a practical point of view, there is so much more luggage space and leg space in the Almera. I think the only real selling point of the March over the Almera is the March looks cute and the Almera looks ugly. But who buys these sorts of cars for the looks? Cheap, cheerful and get you from A to B. Not something to sit back and admire on your drive is it.

• 1 month later...

455,000 is pretty cheap - but I really fancy the S at 429,000.

I don't think that Power Windows and a Radio are worth 26,000 baht. I think all the worthwhile features are tucked away in the top two models costing you a good 100k more.

429,000 for a car - that makes these extras seem far more expensive than if you were paying 1,400,000 for a nice car.

I did just read that there is no cabin access from the boot - those seats are fixed (something that I never saw before) meaning that you can probably get more stuck in the back of a Micra!

I've ridden in these, and I one time a friend let me drive his a couple of kilometers. It was nice, though I would prefer the clutch model.

But I just couldn't get used to the tiny seats. Is there any economy car in Thailand that has human-sized seats? My old 1984 Ke-70 is a small car, but the seats are big enough and don't squeeze you.

I've ridden in these, and I one time a friend let me drive his a couple of kilometers. It was nice, though I would prefer the clutch model.

But I just couldn't get used to the tiny seats. Is there any economy car in Thailand that has human-sized seats? My old 1984 Ke-70 is a small car, but the seats are big enough and don't squeeze you.

The Kia Picanto has a lovely interior... but no ABS. thats a deal breaker for me.

• 2 months later...

Hi people. I am looking at buying a cheapish car to run around in bad weasther and to see places in thailand. i was looking at the Almera NEw or a sexond hand Mazda 2 with 32000 klms on the clock. Now i saw a post her saying the almera can not have enough power to te up a hill with passengers... I live in Chiang Mai and many people visit me here from Australia and that is one placxe they ewant to go. That is a hill! Now will the bloomin car fail me or should I go with the Mazda 2 which is 100,000 baht cheaper and warranty expired? HELP!!!!!

Hi people. I am looking at buying a cheapish car to run around in bad weasther and to see places in thailand. i was looking at the Almera NEw or a sexond hand Mazda 2 with 32000 klms on the clock. Now i saw a post her saying the almera can not have enough power to te up a hill with passengers... I live in Chiang Mai and many people visit me here from Australia and that is one placxe they ewant to go. That is a hill! Now will the bloomin car fail me or should I go with the Mazda 2 which is 100,000 baht cheaper and warranty expired? HELP!!!!!

test drive them and decide.I have a Mitsubishi Mirage the car is great except for the seats.. crap cheap small seats.. but i am fairly big..saying that Nissan did ok with the March seatsbiggrin.png

I'd go with the new car. You'll have peace of mind knowing the precise history of the car. The Almera will make it up hills, it just might lack a bit of power, but only really an issue if you have four adults and a load of baggage in the car.

Clutch and manual gear box isn't the greatest in my opinion. Have you tried it?

Yeah the size of the seats are about the biggest let down of the car. Such a shame because cabin space wise, the car is big and there would be room for bigger seats - that and a centre arm rest in the front would do wonders.

I did just read that there is no cabin access from the boot - those seats are fixed (something that I never saw before) meaning that you can probably get more stuck in the back of a Micra!

I would doubt it. The boot in the March is tiny without the seats folded down. Sure, once you fold them down, you have quite a bit more space, but not much more than the Almera, and it is at the expense of course of rear passengers. Almera is far the more practical car. March on the other hand is far prettier. You pays your money...

455,000 is pretty cheap - but I really fancy the S at 429,000.

I don't think that Power Windows and a Radio are worth 26,000 baht. I think all the worthwhile features are tucked away in the top two models costing you a good 100k more.

It's not only the power windows and radio you get, also chrome detailing on the grille, door handles etc, and plus wheel trims. Things that don't perhaps cost a lot, but do transform the car quite a bit. To me the S looks like the car is half finished.

• 9 months later...

My two cents on Almera. I've driven the previous generation Vios (2008) for 3 years and the new Altis for 2 years. Both very reliable cars! Right now I have been driving Almera for 4 months and I love it. The more I drive it the more I like it.

The car is ugly, but with little make up looks better and the looks grow on you. I would recommend changing the car wheels to 15 inch sport rims, it makes the car look much better and more stable driving at high speeds.

Almera wins from Vios and even Altis, to my suprise, when it comes to leg room. I am a big guy and I felt squeezed in Vios and even Altis wasn't in my comfort zone, but with cheap Almera there is plenty of leg room that makes me feel comfortable.

It performs well on flat roads as it was mentioned before, but it feels under powered on hilly roads when the car is full with passengers, which is understandable by having a 1.2 engine.

If you care about leg room and price Almera is the right car. In my opinion Almera is way better than Vios and Honda City!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the E CVT model without ABS. I have driven in it in all sorts of situations and never felt a twinge of a suspicion that I was going to slide. Mind you I do drive at a speed respecting ambient conditions. I also drive very gently, no maximum accelerations or braking, never over 95K/h when doing the daily school run (country roads, highway, town) and have never got 20Km/L, persistently on 18.3 since the beginning.

Very happy with this car after 40 years or driving trucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Been looking at the Almera and the Nissan website is great, well done, good English and very well designed.

The dealer in BKK would give me full options for the top of the line 599k version.

The dealer in Phuket would offer no options, other than what the car comes with. Both dealers said 2 weeks.

Any further feedback on the Almera?

I liked the engine, for the small size, in that roomy car. It works out quite well. But the quality is sub-standard. Makes noise, something shaking, everywhere. Nissan is not up to the Toyota/Hondas/Mazdas etc. Which is a general quality problem they have.

I tried the new Yaris, also 1.2l, that is really underpowered and noisy. A better alternative is either the Vios with 1.5l or a Swift. I like the latter. Cool car, not a wannabie sedan.

I've had mine skid a couple of times, but it's always been in torrential rain. Shocked me a bit when it first happened, as i hadn't experience it in other cars, but now i know, i'm extra careful in the wet. In the dry it's never been an issue.

Tires on the ecocars aren't the best in terms of overall performance - the tread isn't so deep and wide compared to a more performance orientated tire. I'll change mine out in due course.

I liked the engine, for the small size, in that roomy car. It works out quite well. But the quality is sub-standard. Makes noise, something shaking, everywhere. Nissan is not up to the Toyota/Hondas/Mazdas etc. Which is a general quality problem they have.

I tried the new Yaris, also 1.2l, that is really underpowered and noisy. A better alternative is either the Vios with 1.5l or a Swift. I like the latter. Cool car, not a wannabie sedan.

I have the swift and it's nice and quiet even at 120km/h+. Materials and build is very good and the engine is strong - not as much boot room as an almera, of course.

I have the swift and it's nice and quiet even at 120km/h+. Materials and build is very good and the engine is strong - not as much boot room as an almera, of course.

How about fuel consumption? Almera, Swift? As you have one, please let us know...

How about fuel consumption? Almera, Swift? As you have one, please let us know...

I don't know about the almera, but for my swift I get an actual reading of an average of 14.70 km/l for the last 3000 kms, The cars meter is reading 15.53 km/l. This is mostly driving in Nonthaburi with a mix of stop start driving and some sprints on longer roads. To get 20 km/l I would need to be driving almost exclusively on a highway. The meter often reads up to the max of 30 km/l at 60-80 km/h of steady driving though. I don't drive like a granny; the wife can get much better readings than me, but I do the majority of the driving. Most of the time I'm keeping up with the traffic or perhaps driving a bit faster. I heard that the mirage gets a bit better mileage, but a friend has one and he gets similar readings to my swift. Compare this to my civic 2.0, which will usually get less than 10 km/l under the same driving conditions.

• 3 weeks later...