Thailand Pet-Owners On High Alert For Dog-Nappers

webfact

Thailand pet-owners on high alert for dog-nappers

By Jonah Fisher

BBC News, Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Authorities in Thailand have warned that kennels are fit to bursting after more than 2,000 dogs bound for dinner tables in South East Asia were seized in the last six months.

Dog is considered a delicacy in parts of Vietnam and China, and strays and domestic pets are being snatched in increasing numbers from Thailand's streets before they are transported abroad.

Sompong Lertjitcharoenboon's dog, Tao Tao, was stolen before Christmas. It was a month before Chinese New Year [more...]

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-17381607

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-03-16

I think below quote from the article pretty much sums it up for the Thai government's real position on dog smuggling/animal welfare:

Inadequate laws

There are now more than 2,000 rescued dogs at the Buriram shelter

But stopping what Capt Teerakiet calls a "billion-baht industry" is close to impossible under existing Thai law. It is illegal to steal domestic pets but not to round up stray dogs and pack them into cages. Animal cruelty is not banned, so a law is only actually broken when an attempt is made to smuggle the dogs out of Thailand.

"On the scale of one to 10, I would say it's a minus-one as far as the government's concern for animal welfare goes," said Roger Lohanen from the Thai Animal Guardians Association.

well, in all honesty, this is the best solution of the millions of soi dogs

Is it? Maybe something better is to develop laws which humanely control animal populations and strive to prevent animal cruelty. But even if such laws existed in Thailand we come back to the age old problem in Thailand of no, weak, and/or selective enforcement of laws. TIT

• Like 2

Is it? Maybe something better is to develop laws which humanely control animal populations and strive to prevent animal cruelty. But even if such laws existed in Thailand we come back to the age old problem in Thailand of no, weak, and/or selective enforcement of laws. TIT

thank you for some common sense - its not ok to treat animals cruelly or to condone a bad practice because of bad laws and no real justice system

Its a shocking inditement of a modern society that behaves this way to any animal. On any level its criminal and morally corrupt

Edited by yumidesign
  • Like 2

Dogs are domesticated animals, so every soi dog was once owned or its ancestors were owned.

Correct, each soi dog was ones owned by a Thai. The Thai's belive is: If someone kill them, they would hurt the deceased owner again. So I can see soi dogs are regulary feed by old neighbors. And those dogs are really friendly and won't hurt anyone.

• Like 1

If you want to do more than just winge and talk check out SoiDog(com)

This group is organized, effective, and a major force in helping fight over population of dogs and cats as well as lobby against the illegal dog meat trade.

For those who expressed that its the best thing for the stray dogs out there to be caged up and shipped to Vietnam... well you need some mind set readjusting...

Most of the readers on Thaivias are from civilized countries try acting like it.

• Like 2

its a good solution to control soi dogs, since Thailand has never heard of animal control.

stealing owned pets is criminal tho, in any country. at the very least its property theft.

Agree dog crime is theft, animal control I am in favour of...many of the soi dogs are neglected and see foreigniers forget they are in Thailand and often put there hand out to comfort the animal..a no no here. My landlord a english fellow takes in homeless dogs that appear here in complex...Steve is a great fellow whom is suffering with a life threating disease, thou has a compasionate side, good Karma and have I seeing his condition gave him a product MMS, if you google this you can see it helps in life challenging disease, sorry off the subject but the compassion should be extented to humans as well as our friends on four legs.

well in Buriram we don't know anything about a dog shelter, maybe it is in Koirat. I should like to know where it is, we are looking for a poodle..

Anyone looking to adopt or help out with these dogs, here are a couple of links to people who are rescuing and adopting them out:

http://www.scadbangkok.org/

https://www.facebook.com/beeproducer?sk=info

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.375413472486710.102914.100000541818851&type=1

Unfortunately no country has mastered the pet control issues. Only we can control our own pets. My dogs never leave the yard and are only out periodically with supervision. I commend those trying to fix the issues for individuals who are not responsible.

Where in Buriram? Does anybody have any information?

(I think it is somewhere in N. Isan, not Buriram)

Could be Nakhon Phanom. That was the town where a consignment of hot dogs was intercepted a while back.

It's on the Mae Kong and across from Laos.

Kind of selfish of the Thais? since they have so much of them running around each Soi throughout Thailand without any control. Why so concern? Maybe if the government got a cut in the action it would be o.k., as far as I'm concern they can come down my neighborhood and round up easily 30 strays right now! Better they be eaten than run down on the road by a crazy driver!

Another problem is that of Rottweilers in the ownership of the wrong people - an old woman of 83 years was chewed up by 2 of them yesterday in Bang Plat (north-west Bangkok), almost gnawed off her left arm, according to Khao Sot.

These are lethal animals and should not be owned by people who are ignorant of how to handle them.

I think below quote from the article pretty much sums it up for the Thai government's real position on dog smuggling/animal welfare:

Inadequate laws

"On the scale of one to 10, I would say it's a minus-one as far as the government's concern for animal welfare goes," said Roger Lohanen from the Thai Animal Guardians Association.

That sounds about the same level of care the government has for people.

Well in all honesty, if I tell you exactly how ignorant that sounds, and/or stupid you are, my post will be deleted.

But consider this: A dog, whether wild, privately "owned", or living as a resident street dog with regular food source (and name), is captured, stuffed in a wire crate with several others with no room to move, if not sophocated along the way, faces a brutal beating, alive, to torture it prior to skinning, still alive, and left to hang with a meat hook through it's face, and then gutted, often while still in shock and breathing, .. to be finally butchered for cooking. The entire torture process, which is done to make it "taste better", can take anything from two hours for the lucky ones to a day or more.

You think this is the "best solution" .. ? You perhaps deserve the same.

• Like 2

Well in all honesty, if I tell you exactly how ignorant that sounds, and/or stupid you are, my post will be deleted.

But consider this: A dog, whether wild, privately "owned", or living as a resident street dog with regular food source (and name), is captured, stuffed in a wire crate with several others with no room to move, if not sophocated along the way, faces a brutal beating, alive, to torture it prior to skinning, still alive, and left to hang with a meat hook through it's face, and then gutted, often while still in shock and breathing, .. to be finally butchered for cooking. The entire torture process, which is done to make it "taste better", can take anything from two hours for the lucky ones to a day or more.

You think this is the "best solution" .. ? You perhaps deserve the same.

Sounds like what they do to chickens, pigs and cattle? What are you eating by the way?

Do the dogs in Thailand have owners? coffee1.gif

My three dogs stolen from the road in front of my GF house in the middle of the night, at two different occasions, had me as caretaker.

Once, I woke up from terrible noises of dogs screaming in fear and pain. As soon as i was out of my bed and really woke up, the sounds faded away with a car driving off.

I should have jumped in my car,but I was still dizzy, did not know what happened. Anyway would have to look for my car keys first, "somewhere"

and did not know in which directions the car had been driven away.

It was only deadly quiet in the street.

Dogs gone, never came back, I felt miserably for some days, sitting alone in the kitchen in the evening at dinner without my dogs eyes around and on me.

Yes, some dogs have owners!mad.gif

thailand49

Sounds like what they do to chickens, pigs and cattle?

""captured, stuffed in a wire crate with several others with no room to move, if not sophocated along the way, faces a brutal beating, alive, to torture it prior to skinning, still alive, and left to hang with a meat hook through it's face, and then gutted, often while still in shock and breathing, .. to be finally butchered for cooking. The entire torture process, which is done to make it "taste better", can take anything from two hours for the lucky ones to a day or more.""

In which countrys slaughterhouse did you glimpse inside? Deep in the jungle of AFRICA?

Yes, I eat meat, but not dog meat! Dogs are a different animal to me, I grew up with dogs and my mother showed me the love for dogs

"Since I know the people (special some of that kind in this thread) I love the dogs!"

Edited by ALFREDO