Where To Sell Recyclable Materials

eyecatcher

"I am going to start saving all paper,cardboard and plastic bottles and then we can sell it"

"is it worth it love...?"

"yes we will be able to treat ourselves to noodles at a food cart one night"

4 months later...my kitchen half full of plastic bottles, tesco/big c flyers, cardboard boxes......

"so when are you going to sell this lot love i am so looking forward to spending our 30baht together"

"oh yes...can you ask your friend if he knows where we can sell it all"

aaarrrrghh!!!

who said Thais ever came up with a great idea....

whats the plan guys....just leave it for the bin men (and girls) or make 4 trips on the bike to the back of beyond?

There is alot of places around that buy it. They are pretty unmistakable looking, if you happen to drive past one.

Maybe the easiest one to direct you to, is the large one on the North Eastern corner where Nong Hoi road intersects with Mahidol Rd.

-Mestizo

Hahaha... Your wife must know my gf... But ours are stacked up at the back door...

Couple months ago I got blasted for "giving" the stuff away - a nice young couple in a beaten up old pickup passed by the gate, asked if they could have the pile... I was grateful to get rid of the stuff, "Sure", I said... they loaded up their truck then came and handed me 150 baht. I was gobsmacked...

gf gets home and says "where's the bottles?!"... Says they were worth at least 300 baht... <sigh>

Now I just let them pile up and mind my own business...

Hahaha... Your wife must know my gf... But ours are stacked up at the back door...

Couple months ago I got blasted for "giving" the stuff away - a nice young couple in a beaten up old pickup passed by the gate, asked if they could have the pile... I was grateful to get rid of the stuff, "Sure", I said... they loaded up their truck then came and handed me 150 baht. I was gobsmacked...

gf gets home and says "where's the bottles?!"... Says they were worth at least 300 baht... <sigh>

Now I just let them pile up and mind my own business...

Wow, she's got you by the short and curly's.. biggrin.png

We collect and sell - well, my stepson does. He got fed up with getting grief from the lady at our local re-cycling yard and now understands how they need it sorted - 5 cheap plastic dustbins around the back of the house was a major step forward and now he's in charge. Every six weeks or so he makes about 200 baht to supplement his pocket money.

I think it's a good education too.

• Like 1

Even out in the sticks they come by to buy them. Can't miss them, they have a loud speaker system on the truck. In the moobaan there is a guy that comes every Saturday in a big truck and during the week a guy comes with a big cart. They pay about the same as if you haul it over yourself.

We collect and sell - well, my stepson does. He got fed up with getting grief from the lady at our local re-cycling yard and now understands how they need it sorted - 5 cheap plastic dustbins around the back of the house was a major step forward and now he's in charge. Every six weeks or so he makes about 200 baht to supplement his pocket money.

I think it's a good education too.

We do the same.

Good education not just for the son but for the wife, neighbors and some Thai Visa readers too.

Does anyone know how much these recyclable depots pay for the plastic bottles and aluminium cans? per Kg ..

50 satang for one can, not sure about kg.

I am not sure about klilo price either. But at least when I lived on a Thai housing estate behind Big C Hang Dong - the recycle mortobike man with sidecar and scales used to call at the door. Just down the Soi was a house which also bought recycle bits and bobs. Now that we lve further out in the country we have to take it to various locations. Not exact but to give you some idea we are lucky to get 30 Baht for 2 small dustbins of bottles and a small dustbin of plastic. Hardly worth the cost of diesel in transporting it. On another thread - sorry but I cannot give you the link - the poster mentioned "just leave it outside the gates".

In the early days when I lived in a house close to Arcade bus station - that was exactly what happened.. In, my then ignorance, I thought that they were garbage pickers. How wrong could I have been.

Wifey insists we do it and I now know how they want it sorted before we go. We usually get around 300 baht every three months. Loads of places to sell it all over the whole area.

That sounds about right. My handyman collects all the plastic bottle and cardboard on our road. Must admit the storage area looks terrible. He makes about 200 or 300 baht every 3 months. The rubbish people will only come and collect if it will fill their pick-up. Does not seem worth it to me but hey it's recycling plastic.

Coincidently, i was sitting in a restaurant today when the recycle man came, dumped his scales on the footpath and then the staff brought out the weeks collection:

48 empty bottles of chang-boxed

12 empty leo boxed

2 bin liners full of plastic bottles, water, milk, juice etc

an arbitrary pile of cardboard.....

at this point all the tourists were now having to weave on the road around motorbikes!!

The restaurant was paid 61baht..i thought what a big pile of effort for that..

then the girl from the shop next door brought a bag of aluminium cans, cokes etc and she got 23bt.

i asked on the rates, and plastic was paid at 3bt a kilo, the empty bottles were 8bt for 12boxed but the ally cans, big money 20bt a kilo.

so the worthwhile collectable are the ally cans.

as for my collection i am still a long way off being able to take the lady out for a slap up at the food cart

Coincidently, i was sitting in a restaurant today when the recycle man came, dumped his scales on the footpath and then the staff brought out the weeks collection:

48 empty bottles of chang-boxed

12 empty leo boxed

2 bin liners full of plastic bottles, water, milk, juice etc

an arbitrary pile of cardboard.....

at this point all the tourists were now having to weave on the road around motorbikes!!

The restaurant was paid 61baht..i thought what a big pile of effort for that..

then the girl from the shop next door brought a bag of aluminium cans, cokes etc and she got 23bt.

i asked on the rates, and plastic was paid at 3bt a kilo, the empty bottles were 8bt for 12boxed but the ally cans, big money 20bt a kilo.

so the worthwhile collectable are the ally cans.

as for my collection i am still a long way off being able to take the lady out for a slap up at the food cart

They were way underpaid. Each Beer box will get you 10 Baht...and that's empty, These people who pick up stuff from the door don't pay as much as the ones you can deliver it to because they have the cost of running whatever machine they use etc. Plastic needs to be sorted to get the best price, clear getting the higher price.