Any Trustworthy Places To Rent Motorbike In Phuket?

TallFarangPhuket

I'd like to see Phuket on motorbike but I'm worried about being scammed/ripped off. For example, I'm worried about returning the bike and them saying I owe for damages for physical or mechanical damage that may have already been present but not too noticeable. Can anyone recommend some companies that you believe are trustworthy or ones you've personally gone through before without problems? I'd prefer to go through a large hotel that rents motorbikes but can't seem to find any, but I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

Doubt whether you would would be claimed for mechanical damages. As for physical damage then just take some photos with your camera/phone before you rent and make it obvious to the vendor that you are taking the photos. Biggest problem is having the big stolen from outside your hotel as declared to the vendor. Best not declare where your are staying... give a false hotel address.

Kata does not understand that they all keep your passport, and has himself the mentality to not pay any damage when he goes down with the rental bike.

There is no first class insurance on bikes, and especially BIG bikes will be an expensive holiday if go down.

Think before you rent,

Edited by LivinginKata
insults removed

PhuketHappyTour, located in royal (soi) paradise and Thanya Internet and Tour, in the side street connecting sai-namiyen and rat u thit 200 roads (with the big workout gym). There is a third person who is a married couple with farang also in paradise complex...in the back. rent weekly/monthly for the best deals. if you do get in accident, you can negotiate payment to fix....or you can go with them to honda dealer and get accurate estimate on damaged parts. A banged up motorbike from taking a curb too fast may only cost about 1500-2000 to replace broken cosmetics. Mechanical failure is extremely rare.

Most people want to hold your passport as a deposit to guarantee you'll come back. There are a few places where it is copy of passport. Surprisingly, pattaya is the opposite, with deposit/copy of pp is the norm.

Or, as you meet some locals, they can point you in the right direction. You might even want to let a local rent one for you and you hand over rent money. I'm sure you'll find a local willing to do this.

If you spend a few days walking around, you'll see a pattern emerge as to which shops are appropriate for what item/service you are purchasing.

And since you are new at this, try to rent motorbike from separate shop from where you rent hotel. The people i recommend are an exception. Always re-fuel yourself at the pump. it takes very little fuel to show motorbike as "full".

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

Where on Phuket are you staying?

I would not worry about getting charged for damage you did not cause, as LIK has said, make some photos and you'll be fine.

Also, theft (or scammed theft) is a far smaller problem IMO than sometimes suggested, but a more realistic issue than getting scammed for damage.

I would not worry about getting charged for damage you did not cause, as LIK has said, make some photos and you'll be fine.

Also, theft (or scammed theft) is a far smaller problem IMO than sometimes suggested, but a more realistic issue than getting scammed for damage.

"is a far smaller problem" - so, the "problem" exists. Your advice is to "roll the dice." My advice is, DON'T DO IT. Do not rent a bike and ride here. You place your health and safety, and your financial well being at great risk.

• Like 1

"is a far smaller problem" - so, the "problem" exists. Your advice is to "roll the dice." My advice is, DON'T DO IT. Do not rent a bike and ride here. You place your health and safety, and your financial well being at great risk.

Starting to look like you're following me. Any thread, any answer from me and you'll quote me and contradict.

Starting to look like you're following me. Any thread, any answer from me and you'll quote me and contradict.

With all due respect, he does have a point....

we gotta take some risks. We are talking about motorbikes, which hundreds of thousands of motorbikes are used daily by the locals. Lock your motorbike front wheel and helmet everytime you leave it. Now if you were talking about a Jet Ski tour, maybe increased paranoia would be healthy. i could understand where you are coming from. Bike theft happens all over thailand, as it does in the USA. I think some great suggestions have been made here, even the chaining of the bike if you really feel it necessary. I never had to chain it. It went right in the front of the guesthouse I was staying.

Avoid having intimate relationships with the owner of whatever you are renting, for obvious reasons.

Thanks for all the responses everybody. Sounds like some very trustworthy suggestions listed here. I decided to go on to Phi Phi for a week or two but will probably get a motorbike when I return so I'll look over all the suggestions and I thank you all for posting your advice as well.

Well as stevenl suggested, you really need to tell us where you are staying. It's pointless us recommending somewhere in Chalong if you are staying in Patong, for example. And BTW, if you rent from a farang it is highly unlikely he will want to retain your passport. Many farang-owned bars rent bikes, usually c. B150/day or c.. B120/day for 7 days up. In general, they are trustworthy and you will not have to worry about any form of rip-off.

My mistake - I'm told the prices are now generally around B200 ST, B150 LT during high season (perhaps a bit lower in low season), The prices I mentioned above are slightly out of date. You may be able to get a bit cheaper if you shop around.

we gotta take some risks. We are talking about motorbikes, which hundreds of thousands of motorbikes are used daily by the locals. Lock your motorbike front wheel and helmet everytime you leave it. Now if you were talking about a Jet Ski tour, maybe increased paranoia would be healthy. i could understand where you are coming from. Bike theft happens all over thailand, as it does in the USA. I think some great suggestions have been made here, even the chaining of the bike if you really feel it necessary. I never had to chain it. It went right in the front of the guesthouse I was staying.

Avoid having intimate relationships with the owner of whatever you are renting, for obvious reasons.

There lays the problem. "Hundreds of thousands of motorbikes are used daily by the locals." Many of those locals do not have a licence, do not wear helmets, ride under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs and do not properly maintain their bike. Eg. fading brakes. Many foreign expats and tourists are the same. Then, you have the absence of traffic law enforcement and the result is many road deaths and injuries.

A brand new bike is 50,000 baht - $1500US. If sh*t hits the fan, Eg. scam/theft. It's not a huge financial loss. This loss will effect you in the short term, not the long term.

What I am taking about is hurting yourself and requiring hospitalisation and/or an operation. No bike licence in your own country, means no travel insurance for riding a bike here. You could get a bill for thousands and thousands of dollars and they will not let you out of the country until it's paid.

Then, if you cause the accident, and sometimes even if it's not your fault, and seriously hurt, or kill a Thai, which is not hard to do when there are young kids or babies on their bike, well, then either you, or your mummy and daddy will be selling their house to keep you out of a Thai gaol by "mediating" the cost of a human life or permanent disability.

It's not just about getting extorted for a scratch that has always been there or the shop "stealing" their own bike back. The finacial loss to you, if one of the about mentioned happens, could be huge, and effect you for many years to come, not to mention any physical disability you may have sustained.

It's dangerous enough riding here, even if you are an experienced rider in Thailand, but for the holiday maker, in my opinion, riding here is to be avoided.

What I am taking about is hurting yourself and requiring hospitalisation and/or an operation. No bike licence in your own country, means no travel insurance for riding a bike here. You could get a bill for thousands and thousands of dollars and they will not let you out of the country until it's paid.

Then, if you cause the accident, and sometimes even if it's not your fault, and seriously hurt, or kill a Thai, which is not hard to do when there are young kids or babies on their bike, well, then either you, or your mummy and daddy will be selling their house to keep you out of a Thai gaol by "mediating" the cost of a human life or permanent disability.

Yes, that is what is claimed.

Do you also have any examples of people being prohibited from leaving the country, the press would love this, so if this is really happening it would be all over the papers.

And also any examples of tourists having to sell their house after a motorbike accident?

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Do you also have any examples of people being prohibited from leaving the country, the press would love this, so if this is really happening it would be all over the papers.

And also any examples of tourists having to sell their house after a motorbike accident?

I do not personally know anyone who has been held at the airport to pay an outstanding bill or fine. Although, the imfamous "beer mat theft" by an Australian women at a large Australian theme bar on Bangla Road comes to mind. I draw your attention to paragraph No. 8 in the below article, and that was only for a 1000 baht fine. Imagine if you killed or seriously injured someone whilst riding a motorbike here. The fine, and mediation to the victim, or their family, would be thousands and thousands of dollars. Slim chance of a foreigner getting bail under those circumstances, so you are definately not leaving the country.

I believe this is why hotels, guest houses, car/motorbike hire etc take the number of your arrival/departure card. In the event of you not paying, and making a run for it, they contact police, who contact immigration, and you are held at the airport until you pay. Obviously, someone not paying has done the wrong thing, so, why would they contact the media about it?

If the motorbike hire shop is holding your passport, you are definately not leaving the country, unless you go to Bangkok and get another one. I suppose your advice to the OP would be, "Don't listen to posters who say don't leave your passport with them. You'll be fine. Just take a few photos." smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

The selling of ones house, or the house of a relative, would only occur if a large amount of capital is needed to be raised to avoid a lengthy gaol sentence, or pay a massive medical bill. Of course, it would depend on the individual's wealth.

There was a German guy, bashed by tuk-tuk drivers late last year. He was in a coma in ICU for quite a while. The medical bill would have been huge. You could easily sustain the same head injury riding a motorbike here. That bill may cause the sale of a substantial asset back home to cover it.

There was a British girl who was riding a jet-ski last year. She came off the jet-ski and the "fail safe" didn't work (no fault of hers) The jet-ski ran into rocks. She had to pay 180,000 baht for the damage. Imagine if it crashed into a decent yacht, instead of rocks? Or, crashed into someone and killed or seriously injured them. Thousands of dollar damage bill and/or "mediation" bill now. You could come off your bike and it slides into a BMW, or some other expensive item. Many would have to sell, or mortgage (as good as selling) their assests to cover the bill.

I believe we are allowed to quote the PG on here, so, you can view the above cases I have mentioned below.

http://www.phuketgaz...ticle10896.html

http://www.phuketgaz...ticle10208.html

http://www.phuketgaz...rticle7389.html

The below is an excerpt of current travel advice provided to tourists from the Austrailan Foreign Office. I draw your attention to paragraph No. 4.

Motorcycle and other road accidents are very common in Thailand, including in resort areas such as Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui. Under Thai law, motorcycle riders and passengers are required to wear helmets, but they are often not provided by hire companies or motorcycle taxis. For further advice on road safety, see our bulletin on Overseas Road Safety.

To legally hire a car or motorbike in Thailand, you need a valid international and Australian driver licence of the correct class. Be aware some rental companies will try to tell you otherwise.

If you intend to hire cars, motorcycles, jet skis or any other motorised vehicle, talk to your travel insurer to check if it is covered by your insurance policy and seek advice on any restrictions that may apply (such as insurance cover if you are not licensed to ride a motorcycle in Australia).

In addition to the jet ski incidents noted above, there have been a number of serious accidents involving jet skis and motorcycles in Thailand. Foreigners are regularly detained and arrested by police following jet ski and motorcycle accidents until compensation, often thousands of dollars, can be negotiated between parties. Many vehicle hire companies do not have insurance and any damage, loss, or costs associated with injuries to third parties will be your responsibility to negotiate or pay. In addition to checking that your travel insurance covers hospital and other costs associated with motorbike, jet ski or other vehicle accidents, also ensure that the hiring company holds comprehensive, including third-party, insurance for the vehicle you are hiring.

Australians have reported cases where hire companies have demanded large amounts of compensation for pre-existing damage to motorbikes. There have also been reports claiming that hire companies have arranged for motorbikes to be stolen from the hirer, and forcing them to pay thousands of dollars in compensation, including the value of a new motorbike plus lost earnings.

The full warning can be viewed here. http://www.smartrave...Advice/Thailand

The OP can make their own mind up, but the risks on the road here go far greater than just being scammed 20,000 baht for a scratch that already existed. Thus, it's my advice, "DON'T DO IT."

Edited by NamKangMan

I was a little nervous at first about riding a motorbike, but it's not difficult to do. If you take it slow or better yet let a local show you the ropes a bit, then no problem. There is a certain flow and once you understand it, its easy. If you are a nervous wreck, you'll probably be eaten alive. Pattaya or other areas where some sort of "public" / taxi / baht bus system exists in mass, i would definetly recommend these, especially for the casual tourist. But they do not have this in phuket yet. I recommend either renting a motorbike with trustworthy people, or rent a private taxi from trustworthy people. I do not recommend tuk tuk. I never rode one (in phuket), and never found out first hand getting ripped off, wrong destination, etc. The pricing for a very short distance was an immediate turn-off for me, although I could understand the casual tourist using it occassionally. with either tuk tuk or taxi, always ask how much it will cost prior to getting in the vehicle, as pricing can get quite creative after the fact. Bring small bills with you. I have a habit of going into bank branches and breaking up 1000 bills for 100 and 50. If I know I will be in bangkok or tourist area, I get a stack of 20s and a couple of 10 baht packs as well.

In regards to whether or not extortion does occur with motorcycle accidents, it might happen IF you get into a serious accident and it is your fault. My friend personally does not ride motorbikes; only bicycles, citing the risk factor he prefers not to take. He still gets plenty of ladies at his door and it does not affect his mobility (he knows the bus system fairly well). I like the freedom of going where I want and don't have a problem. I don't drive like a jackas and look both ways (usually twice) before proceeding at intersection. I've had two self-accidents since riding. One was minor in hiting the back of a wheel of a motorbike in front of me as it kind of cut into me just after a left turn and i turned over. Another one was more foolish, where I took a corner too fast while it was raining. It was actually kind of fun rolling around, but the gf wasn't too happyangry.png No other cars were around and i tend to be more aggressive when i'm alone. We both were wearing proper helmets full head cover and full face cover (Space Crown). That does make a difference. The bike was more banged up than we were (cosmetically) cost a whopping 1600 baht to replace all the scratched up parts.

I do not personally know anyone who has been held at the airport to pay an outstanding bill or fine. Although, the imfamous "beer mat theft" by an Australian women at a large Australian theme bar on Bangla Road comes to mind. I draw your attention to paragraph No. 8 in the below article, and that was only for a 1000 baht fine. Imagine if you killed or seriously injured someone whilst riding a motorbike here. The fine, and mediation to the victim, or their family, would be thousands and thousands of dollars. Slim chance of a foreigner getting bail under those circumstances, so you are definately not leaving the country.

I believe this is why hotels, guest houses, car/motorbike hire etc take the number of your arrival/departure card. In the event of you not paying, and making a run for it, they contact police, who contact immigration, and you are held at the airport until you pay. Obviously, someone not paying has done the wrong thing, so, why would they contact the media about it?

If the motorbike hire shop is holding your passport, you are definately not leaving the country, unless you go to Bangkok and get another one. I suppose your advice to the OP would be, "Don't listen to posters who say don't leave your passport with them. You'll be fine. Just take a few photos." smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

The selling of ones house, or the house of a relative, would only occur if a large amount of capital is needed to be raised to avoid a lengthy gaol sentence, or pay a massive medical bill. Of course, it would depend on the individual's wealth.

There was a German guy, bashed by tuk-tuk drivers late last year. He was in a coma in ICU for quite a while. The medical bill would have been huge. You could easily sustain the same head injury riding a motorbike here. That bill may cause the sale of a substantial asset back home to cover it.

There was a British girl who was riding a jet-ski last year. She came off the jet-ski and the "fail safe" didn't work (no fault of hers) The jet-ski ran into rocks. She had to pay 180,000 baht for the damage. Imagine if it crashed into a decent yacht, instead of rocks? Or, crashed into someone and killed or seriously injured them. Thousands of dollar damage bill and/or "mediation" bill now. You could come off your bike and it slides into a BMW, or some other expensive item. Many would have to sell, or mortgage (as good as selling) their assests to cover the bill.

I believe we are allowed to quote the PG on here, so, you can view the above cases I have mentioned below.

The below is an excerpt of current travel advice provided to tourists from the Austrailan Foreign Office. I draw your attention to paragraph No. 4.

Motorcycle and other road accidents are very common in Thailand, including in resort areas such as Phuket, Pattaya and Koh Samui. Under Thai law, motorcycle riders and passengers are required to wear helmets, but they are often not provided by hire companies or motorcycle taxis. For further advice on road safety, see our bulletin on Overseas Road Safety.

To legally hire a car or motorbike in Thailand, you need a valid international and Australian driver licence of the correct class. Be aware some rental companies will try to tell you otherwise.

If you intend to hire cars, motorcycles, jet skis or any other motorised vehicle, talk to your travel insurer to check if it is covered by your insurance policy and seek advice on any restrictions that may apply (such as insurance cover if you are not licensed to ride a motorcycle in Australia).

In addition to the jet ski incidents noted above, there have been a number of serious accidents involving jet skis and motorcycles in Thailand. Foreigners are regularly detained and arrested by police following jet ski and motorcycle accidents until compensation, often thousands of dollars, can be negotiated between parties. Many vehicle hire companies do not have insurance and any damage, loss, or costs associated with injuries to third parties will be your responsibility to negotiate or pay. In addition to checking that your travel insurance covers hospital and other costs associated with motorbike, jet ski or other vehicle accidents, also ensure that the hiring company holds comprehensive, including third-party, insurance for the vehicle you are hiring.

Australians have reported cases where hire companies have demanded large amounts of compensation for pre-existing damage to motorbikes. There have also been reports claiming that hire companies have arranged for motorbikes to be stolen from the hirer, and forcing them to pay thousands of dollars in compensation, including the value of a new motorbike plus lost earnings.

The OP can make their own mind up, but the risks on the road here go far greater than just being scammed 20,000 baht for a scratch that already existed. Thus, it's my advice, "DON'T DO IT."

So all in all, what you're warning for does not happen. You're simply repeating what some others are claiming on the net, but it just doesn't happen.

No, theft of a beer mat has nothing at all to do with motorbike rental.

So all in all, what you're warning for does not happen. You're simply repeating what some others are claiming on the net, but it just doesn't happen.

Extortion does sometimes happen in cases of a serious accident, if the person involved or property is injured seriously even if you are not at fault.

This is why even if it is not your fault, the best advice is do not stop/help for accident. You can somehow be blamed anyway.

But yes, it is mostly fear-mongering. Just like when the instructors in military training talk about you going to jail for not installing a part correctly and a plane crashes as a result. How often does it really happen? If you pay attention, and do your best, rarely if ever.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

Huh????????

The Australia Foreign Office warns tourists about it. The travel insurance companies have it in their policies. You asked for a case where someone couldn't leave the country until they paid their fine - I gave you an example. All of the above are well documented cases - IT DOES HAPPEN. It could easily happen to any tourist who comes undone on a motorbike here. A scam involving an existing scratch to a rental motorbike could pale into insignificance if you have an accident here. As a tourist, it's not worth it.

Huh????????

The Australia Foreign Office warns tourists about it. The travel insurance companies have it in their policies. You asked for a case where someone couldn't leave the country until they paid their fine - I gave you an example. All of the above are well documented cases - IT DOES HAPPEN. It could easily happen to any tourist who comes undone on a motorbike here. A scam involving an existing scratch to a rental motorbike could pale into insignificance if you have an accident here. As a tourist, it's not worth it.

No, you did not.

You gave examples of a German man in ICU after an altercation with tuktuk drivers, of an Australian who was not allowed to leave the country after she stole an beermat and of somebody who was forced to pay money to the jetski maffia.

No examples of any of the problems asked about.

Sorry, but it just does not happen.

Warn about dangers on the road, fine, but don't tell BS.

Huh????????

No, you did not.

You gave examples of a German man in ICU after an altercation with tuktuk drivers, of an Australian who was not allowed to leave the country after she stole an beermat and of somebody who was forced to pay money to the jetski maffia.

No examples of any of the problems asked about.

Sorry, but it just does not happen.

Warn about dangers on the road, fine, but don't tell BS.

You obviously didn't read paragraph No. 4 of the travel warning issued by The Australian Government. I suppose they make things up as well. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Gee, do you think the issue of their travel warning may come from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok because they are continually called upon to provide consular assistance to people in these situations???????? smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Here, I have taken out the sentence for you, to make it easier for you. It's a bit hard to leave the country (Thailand) when you have been been "detained" and "arrested" "until compensation" "often thousands of dollars, can be negotiated by the parties." Notice the word, "regularly."

"Foreigners are regularly detained and arrested by police following jet ski and motorcycle accidents until compensation, often thousands of dollars, can be negotiated between parties."

But, I suppose, here we go again, it hasn't happened to you, so, IT DOES'T HAPPEN AT ALL. :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan

You claim things happen, I think they don't. If they were to happen they would be all over the internet, but they are not. No stories, nothing.

That leaves only one conclusion: the 2 dangers you gave simply don't happen. You're just parroting everybody else. But that's ok, lots of people do that.

You claim things happen, I think they don't. If they were to happen they would be all over the internet, but they are not. No stories, nothing.

That leaves only one conclusion: the 2 dangers you gave simply don't happen. You're just parroting everybody else. But that's ok, lots of people do that.

Ok. I'll play the game. Why would the Australian government issue such a warning?

Edited by NamKangMan

Do I need to remind you of your post????????

"Also, theft (or scammed theft) is a far smaller problem" - so, you agree, there is a "problem." The only thing that remains to be debated is the size of that "problem" but now you are saying there is no "problem" it doesn't exist. You are contradicting yourself.