Just Blocked My Card And Been Told By Bank That Some Banks In Thailand Have Pin Services.. Which Banks Do This Please

Well, you better tell the people

- what kind of card

- which bank

- why blocked / why do you know it is blocked

then they might be able to advise...

co op bank.. Just tried to use my cardreader for the first time and put password in 3 times incorrectly... They have told me back home that they cant unblock it and i can do it here with some Atms...

- what kind of card

- which bank

co op bank.. Just tried to use my cardreader for the first time and put password in 3 times incorrectly... They have told me back home that they cant unblock it and i can do it here with some Atms...

If its a UK bank card ie Co-op bank, why would a bank ATM in Thailand be able to unblock it for you...this doesnt make sense...Co-op bank would have to un-block it for you....A lot of banks even if they have the facility will not unblock a card in these circumstances and make you get a new card. Believe you are being given bum information.

All this would need to be sorted out with Co-op bank seeing as they are the card issuer

- what kind of card

- which bank

If its a UK bank card ie Co-op bank, why would a bank ATM in Thailand be able to unblock it for you...this doesnt make sense...Co-op bank would have to un-block it for you....A lot of banks even if they have the facility will not unblock a card in these circumstances and make you get a new card. Believe you are being given bum information.

All this would need to be sorted out with Co-op bank seeing as they are the card issuer

I see... yes, it is a feature that all (most?) UK banks offer their cardholders... after three wrong PIN you get one final chance and can unblock it at ATM's... now the problem you will have in Thailand is, that the ATM owning banks (Acquirers) must not offer that service, only UK has this service as mandatory on all ATM. Same in Europe, unblocking your PIN is not available on most European ATM's (i.e. not offered in Switzerland).

Your two options

1) ATM's from international banks (i.e. HSBC, Bangkok Bank), but very unlikely that they have implemented that service, your bank should be able to tell you which banks offer it if any

2) as Soutpeel said: Call your Issuing bank (Co op) and tell them you f** up your PIN and have them issue a new one / an emergency PIN. Normally your bank has special procedures to help their cardholders with such a problem if they are abroad

Why do I know? We process cards for a UK bank (out of Switzerland) and have to offer those services (unblock PIN through enabled ATM's and / or issuing emergency PIN)

Seems many bank customer service reps assume any bank's ATMs will work to change/unblock a password for another bank's ATM/Debit card, but the truth is usually only on your bank's ATM is where this can be done. Now I expect they can indeed unblock/reissue you a new card which you would have to activate and select a new PIN selected via an activation phone call but banks don't like doing this. Several years back here in Bangkok my wife entered her U.S. bank debit card PIN wrong three times and was blocked. We called our States-side bank, explained the problem, they understood there were none of the bank's ATMs in the country, so they asked a bunch of security questions to verify the wife's identity, then allowed her to enter a new PIN during that phone call...during the call the bank rep switched her to an automated/no-human system where she selected the PIN and then the system automatically put the rep back online...this keeps the bank rep from even knowing your PIN. But banks have various security protocols and policies they followed in issue of PINs. Good luck.

i remember i entered in a pin # a few times incorrectly on a replacement card. My card got blocked. I called the bank the next business day and got it unblocked and pin # changed. I don't see why this is not possible in the OP's situation?

i remember i entered in a pin # a few times incorrectly on a replacement card. My card got blocked. I called the bank the next business day and got it unblocked and pin # changed. I don't see why this is not possible in the OP's situation?

Often the people you speak to at banks don't have any idea of their own rules or how things work so they just make up any old story. When things like this go wrong it can be difficult to sort out unless you are lucky enough to be able to speak to someone who knows what they're talking about. Ask to speak to someone more senior at your bank.

Since you blocked it using your card reader only the chip will be blocked, the mag stripe will be unaffected. It will likely work just fine (with the correct PIN of course) in an ATM. Probably won't work in a chip-and-pin machine mind.

AFAIK only Bangkok Bank have chip cards so they should be your first port of call. Take your passport, the card reader and a Thai speaker who understands what you did.