TAT Expects A Not-So-Exciting Songkran In 2012

webfact

This guy is amazing. This time of year is traditionally the worst for tourism anyway, as it's so hot.

Secondly, many people leave Thailand during Songkran, which at best is a childishly annoying "festival" and at worst, dangerous.

Thawat is a very apt name for this guy.

Get a life. Don't you know how to have fun. Everything in life has risks. Now you're saying water is dangerous. LOL. You need help.

Water can't be dangerous?

You should spend Songkran in Pattaya. You can have fun for an entire week.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Songkran, the way the real Thais do it. Cute little kids and older kids throw water on you to wash away the past year's sins, and it's fun.

The punters shoot klong water up your nose from pvc pipe artillery. I was given a nice sinus infection in Pattaya that way.

Cute. Me and my friend dropped stale beer in a bucket on the twit that did that, from the top floor of the hotel above the labial lout. Served him right and is still a memory for us. Maybe that's part of the process.

This guy is amazing. This time of year is traditionally the worst for tourism anyway, as it's so hot.

Secondly, many people leave Thailand during Songkran, which at best is a childishly annoying "festival" and at worst, dangerous.

Thawat is a very apt name for this guy.

Get a life. Don't you know how to have fun. Everything in life has risks. Now you're saying water is dangerous. LOL. You need help.

If you'd ever had a bucket of water launched at you when riding a motorbike at 90 KMH along a main road, you'd realise just how dangerous it can be.

Songkhran is and can be fun, but easily ruined by idiots that go over the top.

Songkran could be cancelled all together for what I care of it.....Farangs and Thais alike all gone wild forgetting the true meaning of it.

I'll stay inside just as I have the last 20+ years after I was nearly killed in falling off my motorbike when a bucket of ice-cold water was thrown at me.

I like Songkran, the way the real Thais do it. Cute little kids and older kids throw water on you to wash away the past year's sins, and it's fun.

The punters shoot klong water up your nose from pvc pipe artillery. I was given a nice sinus infection in Pattaya that way.

Cute. Me and my friend dropped stale beer in a bucket on the twit that did that, from the top floor of the hotel above the labial lout. Served him right and is still a memory for us. Maybe that's part of the process.

So the punters putting water up your nose were twits....but your not by dumping a bucket of beer over said twit from the top floor of a hotel....very mature I must say...so much for liking traditional Songkran...

and who are these "real Thai's" you speak of....so your suggesting Thai's who use water guns/throw buckets of ice etc are not "Real Thai's"

Songkran could be cancelled all together for what I care of it.....Farangs and Thais alike all gone wild forgetting the true meaning of it.

I'll stay inside just as I have the last 20+ years after I was nearly killed in falling off my motorbike when a bucket of ice-cold water was thrown at me.

I would work in my garden and, when I started to get overheated, jump on my motorbike for a short ride, get cooled off with buckets of cold water, then back to work until I need cooling off again. You learn quickly that, if you are on a motorbike, drive extra slow if you see people standing beside the road and the road is wet. And, if you see a group of pretty girls, come to a complete stop and let them drench you.

• Like 1

Typical though, that TAT cites only external factors as the cause of a gloomy outlook... Not mentioning the potential for increased risk from local or overseas extremist terrorist acts.

If you go to the typical tourist haunts, you will get the typical loutish behavior... If you stay away from those areas, it's a fun, respectful and meaningful celebration. You reap what you sow.

Cheers.

arresting people for drinking on songkran in public doesn't help things...

One hopes the boobie police are not out this year.....really lifts the spirits when there are some bare breasted females running about on Songkran....all sweaty and wet

"all sweaty and wet" Is that you, them or both?

Not so exciting Songkran?! Setting up the 'death count' pool in the office is just like preparing the brackets for March Madness or World Cup groups! Most deaths in which city, via motorcycle or car, pedestrian or passenger, time of day......it's the world series of death stats! Exciting enough??

I especially love the minute by minute updates in death count from my awesome Nation/Thai Visa messages!

arresting people for drinking on songkran in public doesn't help things...

One hopes the boobie police are not out this year.....really lifts the spirits when there are some bare breasted females running about on Songkran....all sweaty and wet

"all sweaty and wet" Is that you, them or both?

Gentlemen never kiss and tell...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not following the logic here................TAT doesn't expect a good Songkran, but they expect the visitor figures to be up by 2% on last years record figures?????

I know the spend per head accounts for a lot, but any other country in the world would be dancing with joy at beating an all-time visitor record by 2%.

I think we should move this topic to the Jokes and Puzzles forum. unsure.png