Cheap Tickets From Chiang Mai To Kunming.

HTWoodson

I did a recent price check on the direct flight from Chiang Mai to Kunming, China on China Eastern Airlines. The price for a flight in April it came out to only about 3600 baht for a round trip ticket. I know there is a Thai Consulate in Kunming (http://www.thaiembassy.org/kunming). Has anyone from Chiang Mai tried this for a visa run?

Unfortunately for Americans I think the Chinese visa fee is over 4000 baht, but I think it is closer to 1000 for everyone else, correct me if I'm wrong. Don't know what that is about.

Has anyone from CM tried this?

I think the price you saw was in Chinese yuan. Usual China Eastern price from CM to Kunming round trip is about 14000 THB

Was checking their website yesterday for mid May and it was 800 yuan return, around 3900baht.

Was checking their website yesterday for mid May and it was 800 yuan return, around 3900baht

Just did some checking myself. Was able to secure a round-trip CNX-KMG price of 720 yuan, outbound from CNX on 29 June, return on 06 July. Went thru all the gyrations of entering passenger data, etc, and was then quoted a final price of 1908 yuan (720 yuan fare + 1188 yuan taxes/fees). No thanks!

Was checking their website yesterday for mid May and it was 800 yuan return, around 3900baht

Just did some checking myself. Was able to secure a round-trip CNX-KMG price of 720 yuan, outbound from CNX on 29 June, return on 06 July. Went thru all the gyrations of entering passenger data, etc, and was then quoted a final price of 1908 yuan (720 yuan fare + 1188 yuan taxes/fees). No thanks!

Sorry, I guess I didn't go far enough through the booking process to see the full fee. Lame. Then again, if I have to sit on that overnight bus to Udon Thani and deal with Vientiane tuktuk drivers one more time I'm going to slit my wrists.

Edited by HTWoodson

Have you ever considered Penang, Malaysia?

I don't know the particulars of your visa situation, but I have used the Thai Consulate in Penang with successful results when I first moved here 6 years ago.

Of course, the situation might have changed since then, and I don't know what your visa status is.

can you share the link to the website. I went to the China Eastern website and it doesn't list Thailand.

can you share the link to the website. I went to the China Eastern website and it doesn't list Thailand.

http://en.ceair.com/

Sorry, I guess I didn't go far enough through the booking process to see the full fee. Lame. Then again, if I have to sit on that overnight bus to Udon Thani and deal with Vientiane tuktuk drivers one more time I'm going to slit my wrists.

Me too -duh! Almost tripled at check out. For a 1hour 20 minute? flight that is somewhat steep to say the least.

Me too -duh! Almost tripled at check out. For a 1hour 20 minute? flight that is somewhat steep to say the least.

US$300 on a route served by a single carrier, not a huge surprise, especially one using a 50 seat CRJ.

We are seriously spoilt having the range of LCCs we enjoy here in SE Asia and the resulting low fares. Try flying around parts of Africa and particularly the South Pacific for seriously painful air fares.

I went to Kunming for a T-visa about 3yrs ago, flew Bangkok Air @ 10,000+ baht r/t.

For some twisted reason I was blatantly lied to by the Thai-women apparently in charge of the consulate operation.

She actually told me,with a straight face, that the government had recently changed its visa requirements and are now issuing 2-month free visa on arrival! ....so she refused to "sell" me a T-visa. Of course I could smell a rat.

Stayed 2wks in Kunming and enjoyed exploring the city and surrounding areas, it even snowed. The food is terrible.

I was plenty steamed when I finished with CM immigration.angry.png

Had much better results last year going to Kuala Lumpur, the consulate there is hassle-free and the direct r/t flight on Air Asia was cheap, no visa required.Drop your application/fees and pick-up next day...do get there early to avoid the long Q.

• 4 months later...

I was in Vientiane last week and talked to a few other visa seekers. I found 3 other people who were all going to the same part of town for our hotels - down by the river. We split an air-conditioned taxi which cost a total of 120 baht - 30 baht each. We cut a deal with the driver to pick us up the next day where he dropped us off, my hotel (Douang Deuane Hotel near the Riverside Hotel) 4 people, pick up, take us to the embassy (consul services) and wait until we got our passports, and then take us to the border for 480 baht. One guy didn't show so the drive cut the cost to 450 baht for 3 of us. No other local travel needed.

BTW - the mini bus operated by Aya is crowded sometime but at least they take you right to the embassy (consul services) for no extra charge. They also supply breakfast in Nong Khai and help you fill out your Laos visa.