'Giant Killer' Ruangkrai Wants To Be Pheu Thai Mp

Lite Beer

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

'Giant killer' Ruangkrai wants to be Pheu Thai MP

The Nation on Sunday

30178201-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Former appointed senator Ruangkrai Leekitwattana used to work with Auditor General Khunying Jaruvan Maintaka in revealing the tricks of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra's family in avoiding tax. He was deemed an enemy when he succeeded in taking former premier Samak Sundaravej out of the post. He got the alias of Jack the Giant Killer. Ruangkrai, an accountancy auditor, has continued to file complaints against politicians including requests for examining the qualifications of many current senators. Now Ruangkrai has become closer to his former opponents, especially as he plays golf with Paiwong Techanarong, the key man at Bangkok Today newspaper and owner of Bonanza Khao Yai. He told Nation Weekend columnist Satien Viriyapanpongsa about his next goal: being an MP with the Pheu Thai Party.

Have you now turned into a red shirt?

It would not be strange if I was to say that. Red is the colour of the fighting or the colour of the majority of the people. We need to give justice to the red shirts. If you accuse them of protesting violently, the question is why did so many people join them in that case? Some people might say they used violence - by burning gas trucks and closing the streets - that was incomparable to the losses on October 7, 2008. The PAD [People's Alliance for Democracy] lost one person; that was a big loss. It's good that people see that it was a big issue. We have to help find the truth. But in May 2010, 91 people including a Japanese [cameraman] died. Those who stepped up for the PAD loss went silent and ignored their standards.

Why do you only scrutinise people on the opposite side of Thaksin?

I haven't seen the facts of other sides. I didn't file complaints against some appointed senators. But you have to look back at when I filed complaints against senators who held shares in companies illegally. I filed against all of them. I didn't discriminate. I didn't care who they were. Former premier Samak [sundaravej], former premier Somchai Wongsawat were also on Thaksin's side. I didn't care. I also examined [former premiers] Chuan Leekpai and General Surayud Chulanont.

How long have you been interested in being an MP?

I have been in politics since I was still studying at university. I assisted former Samakki Tham Party leader Anuwat Wattanapongsiri, who is my uncle. I know politics well. When the military coup seized power from General Chatichai Choonhavan, I was sitting at Government House near the office of Chalerm Yoobamrung. I ran against Newin Chidchob for an MP post in Buri Ram 20 years ago. Politics has been in my veins since I was a kid.

Some people said you follow and attack senators because you want their posts.

I don't want to be a senator. I want to be an MP. For Thailand, if we want to work on laws, we must be an MP. I have to wait for only one year and I will be eligible to run in an MP election. I am thinking of whether I will run in my hometown Buri Ram, or in Bangkok, or as a party-list MP candidate. It's up to the party.

Which party will you represent?

Many parties have invited me. The Democrat Party sent me a membership application before I ran for senator selection. The party might have seen my contribution. But I will represent Pheu Thai, as it is the party chosen by the majority of the people. They have chosen the party for three eras, from when it was Thai Rak Thai, People Power Party or Pheu Thai. People still chose it. If I join the party, there must be some tuning. My principles must remain the same. It's not that if I join the party and it will prohibit me from doing anything.

Was it because you want to run in an election under this party's banner that your [accounting] examinations favour this party?

There's nothing to do with that. It's not easy to dominate Ruangkrai. Nobody can stop me from attacking anybody. I am watching Yingluck Shinawatra nowadays. If she is wrong, I will scrutinise her. But I haven't seen anything. If I am already a Pheu Thai MP, I will scrutinise her. It's okay if they want to expel me from the party. I can play my role in civic politics. I don't have to be an MP. Wanting to be an MP, I'm not saying I am the clean water that will cleanse polluted water. I only think the polluted water in Parliament can be distilled to become clean water. I don't plan to oust anybody.

Are you close to Thaksin?

I talked to Thaksin only once when he phoned in at a forum event. We talked for quite a long time. But relatively I talked to [Democrat leader] Abhisit [Vejjajiva] more. We talked since he was still a deputy party leader. Ask him what topics I discussed with him via mails and what he discussed with me on the phone. But while you have said an MP must come from a political party, one day you accept voting while MPs were not party members. I cannot accept that. About Thaksin, let the majority decide via a referendum if he should be able to come back. Why are you afraid of the people's voice?

But people will oppose that, saying it is not for the people to decide, but we must follow the justice system.

Where is the justice? Before the military coup, who talked to whom? The man with white hair and a full beard who smoked cigars and a pipe discussed what? Ask your heart. The appointment of the Assets Examination Committee went on without any rage against Thaksin, didn't it? Answer clearly. Before the committee members' names were sent to General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the appointment was conducted at a foundation while people from political parties were also involved. True or not? Please examine. You will see it was not transparent. It was not fair.

Do you want to talk about it all?

I will look up in my diary during the coup time and tell you.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-18

"Many parties have invited me. The Democrat Party sent me a membership application before I ran for senator selection. The party might have seen my contribution. But I will represent Pheu Thai, as it is the party chosen by the majority of the people. They have chosen the party for three eras, from when it was Thai Rak Thai, People Power Party or Pheu Thai. People still chose it. If I join the party, there must be some tuning."

If Liverpool win the cup, I support Liverpool. If Man U win the cup, I support Man U. I'll be on the biggest side of supporters, to suit me!

-----

"I don't want to be a senator. I want to be an MP" ..... "sent me a membership application before I ran for senator selection"

Double entendre if it ever hit me in the face!

-mel.

• Like 1

Many parties have invited me. The Democrat Party sent me a membership application before I ran for senator selection. The party might have seen my contribution. But I will represent Pheu Thai, as it is the party chosen by the majority of the people.

This is what happens when the politics here is driven be greed and influence instead of ideology.

Picking party on who is the biggest so he is guaranteed to get a position at the table with the other pigs.

Edited by TAWP

Yep there are loads of people all over the world who are in work but undersell themselves accepting lower reward and refusing offers due to high moral fibre and principles

According to you guys this man is a one off original.....surely nobody even considers going to the job which offers the highest chance of success and renumeration.....what is the guy thinking about.....

Yep there are loads of people all over the world who are in work but undersell themselves accepting lower reward and refusing offers due to high moral fibre and principles

According to you guys this man is a one off original.....surely nobody even considers going to the job which offers the highest chance of success and renumeration.....what is the guy thinking about.....

Are you saying it's OK for a politician to change sides for the money?

The real message is that it is OK to switch to the PTP for any reason. Other direction? No, for any reason. Got that?

The real message is that it is OK to switch to the PTP for any reason. Other direction? No, for any reason. Got that?

He was entitled to turn down the Democrats........beats me why he would want to pass up such an opportunity to go nowhere.....but there you go such is life

He was entitled to turn down the Democrats........beats me why he would want to pass up such an opportunity to go nowhere.....but there you go such is life

It seems like you are completely missing the point. Or just out to defend anything.

It seems like you are completely missing the point. Or just out to defend anything.

Would that be the point he made about standing for PT because they were the chosen party of the people?

Would that be the point he made about standing for PT because they were the chosen party of the people?

He did not say they were the party of the people, better representing the people or better for people in the long run - he said they were the party elected by most people.

A very different thing.

He did not say they were the party of the people, better representing the people or better for people in the long run - he said they were the party elected by most people.

A very different thing.

And well he knows it.

But that dosen't matter to him the money is in the PT party.

Thailand's welfare has nothing to do with his decision.

"it is the party chosen by the majority of the people" - in other words "the chosen party of the people" or "party elected by most people" as you put it.... and your point is what exactly other than illustrating that you enjoy mincing words?

God forbid that the common people of Thailand be permitted to elect their own government based on a majority vote... oh hang on, they have, which begs the question what qualifies the influx of anti-PT posters on TV to comment on what is best for Thailand in the long run?

I forget we all enjoyed such political stability under the previous administration that people seem to forget were never actually voted in by an electoral majority but seized power in a military coup, ousting the previously democratically elected government…

The fact is for right or wrong the current political party/ PM have been voted into office; continuing smear campaigns and uneducated whining about every single news article published which mentions the ruling party does nothing to help the situation here, only the opposite.

It's very easy to cast scorn but not so easy to constructively help matters, which for all any of you perpetually negative posters know is exactly what Khun Ruangkrai wants to do. On the face of it I’d welcome someone like this, prepared to stir the pot.

I would have thought it was fairly obvious to anyone with any limited understanding of politics that he would be able to directly effect change as an MP for the Pheu Thai, while as a member of the "democrats" he wouldn't.

Personally I remain skeptical but quietly hopeful that there will be a change for the better in Thailand soon. It is clear that corruption runs deep on both sides of the coin and it’s difficult to believe anything published in the news here on face value. That said if you’re intent on questioning it, doing so with some factual argument rather than childish snipes would be refreshing.

Clearly change is needed and it is ignorant to think that the majority of the populace is content to exist on the bottom rung of a medieval feudal system.

Edited by Ferangled

The Red Devil Scum in Thailand disgust me to no end. And the continued flip flop of the Thai "government" with respect to the Pu-uh Thai party (first the leaders were arrested for inciting the riots and calling on all their supporters to burn down Bangkok, then they were all released) is even more disgusting. The "Hia" Thai party as they should be called should not even be allowed to exist as a political party.

If Ruangkrai wants to be PM of the Red scum, then it must involve a payoff or he's just as big an idiot as everyone else that supports them.

Umm, no, it's the party bought into power by Thaksin. Buying elections does not constitute the majority choice.

"it is the party chosen by the majority of the people" - in other words "the chosen party of the people" or "party elected by most people" as you put it.... and your point is what exactly other than illustrating that you enjoy mincing words?"

The Red Devil Scum in Thailand disgust me to no end. And the continued flip flop of the Thai "government" with respect to the Pu-uh Thai party (first the leaders were arrested for inciting the riots and calling on all their supporters to burn down Bangkok, then they were all released) is even more disgusting. The "Hia" Thai party as they should be called should not even be allowed to exist as a political party.

If Ruangkrai wants to be PM of the Red scum, then it must involve a payoff or he's just as big an idiot as everyone else that supports them.

Thanks for your entirely neutral and highly intelligible comment... clear as mud.

Umm, no, it's the party bought into power by Thaksin. Buying elections does not constitute the majority choice.

"it is the party chosen by the majority of the people" - in other words "the chosen party of the people" or "party elected by most people" as you put it.... and your point is what exactly other than illustrating that you enjoy mincing words?"

Sorry I didn't realize I'd quoted you at all. Care to provide some actual facts with your rantings?

I don't think he is flip flopping, he just realized that now the power belongs to democratically elected party as opposed to old elites.

On one hand his following electoral victories is text book flip-flopping, on the other hand he is "on the side of the people" now.

For all the criticism of KPI reconciliation proposals, there's one very important point there - one side of the divide believes that people are always right, the other side believes that morals and ethics are above politics and shouldn't be compromised just because one group of people gathered majority votes.

That takes us even deeper - what is the foundation of morals and ethics, and laws and justice? One side believes it has some sort of divine origins, the other side believes that whoever wins dictates what's right and wrong.

I don't think he is flip flopping, he just realized that now the power belongs to democratically elected party as opposed to old elites.

On one hand his following electoral victories is text book flip-flopping, on the other hand he is "on the side of the people" now.

For all the criticism of KPI reconciliation proposals, there's one very important point there - one side of the divide believes that people are always right, the other side believes that morals and ethics are above politics and shouldn't be compromised just because one group of people gathered majority votes.

That takes us even deeper - what is the foundation of morals and ethics, and laws and justice? One side believes it has some sort of divine origins, the other side believes that whoever wins dictates what's right and wrong.

He just realized that a different elite, and one that will not fight fair, is presently in charge and he will be in the hinterlands for the foreseeable future if he fights fair in the old way. So follow the money, and the handouts of face.

I forget we all enjoyed such political stability under the previous administration that people seem to forget were never actually voted in by an electoral majority but seized power in a military coup, ousting the previously democratically elected government…

Please don't post outright lies.

• Like 1

Please don't post outright lies.

You are maybe giving him to munch credit thinking he knows they are lies.

The average red shirt thinks he is rite. Doesn't say munch for him I guess.