Over 1 Million Thais Are Infected With Hiv/Aids

Lite Beer

Figures.

My current and previous girlfriends had no clue about contraceptives and STDs.

When I first came here 20 years ago every girl insisted on condom use for fear of HIV. Now they all say they don't like condoms and don't want me to use one. And I'm not talking about hookers here, but girls you would consider educated and with an ability to think about the future.

The 20-25 age group in particular seem to have no fear of HIV at all.

Too easy to generalize this from the few women and relationship you have had and you have maybe heard of. There is no proof behind you statement.

There is a hidden problem in this, this HIV virus is adapting to its human host and becoming less aggressive, put simply where at one time infection was a one year death sentence, now it is more like 5 to 10 years. Putting this in perspective it means a much longer period of support and medication for those infected.

HIV was never a one year death sentence... in the beginning we had no idea what it was and by the time it progressed to full blown aids, yes, without the meds we have today a year or two was maybe a good life expectancy...but by the time that happened, they had already been infected for many years.

people are living longer simply because of meds and earlier detection. and it's not 5 or 10 years, we're talking 45+ (ie someone at 20 getting hiv and starting meds and taking them properly can expect to live a full life)

Nobody has lived for 45+ years with HIV since the virus only spread more or less 30 years ago. But what you're saying is that in theory with today's medications you can live a full live.

I imagine only a small number of those infected can live that long. Obviously having HIV raises the chances of dying prematurely due to an infection of any kind since the virus tends to kill your antibodies, right? So put in stats if you are HIV infected you probably have a 10% chance to live a full live. If anyone has the exact data please let us know.

Reading the article it seems like the 1 million figure is those currently identified as infected, and receiving treatment. It would seem logical that the actual figure of those infected is somewhat greater?

1 in 60 is a very very low number, I've seen reports of between 25-30% of those active in the sex industry. Seeing the extreme stigma attached I'd say at least as many people again know they have it and haven't reported it to the authorities.

Not to mention all those that just haven't yet been diagnosed, still in very early stages.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were 5%.

I have heard from reliable sources that in Patong every 4th bar girl is HIV infected (1 out of 4!).

This information was based on a national report and was supposed to be published in the local newspaper but authorities disallowed the paper to publish because they didn't want to scare the tourists away. True Story.

This happened 4-5 years ago. wonder how things look presently. 1 out of 3?

Reading the article it seems like the 1 million figure is those currently identified as infected, and receiving treatment. It would seem logical that the actual figure of those infected is somewhat greater?

1 in 60 is a very very low number, I've seen reports of between 25-30% of those active in the sex industry. Seeing the extreme stigma attached I'd say at least as many people again know they have it and haven't reported it to the authorities.

Not to mention all those that just haven't yet been diagnosed, still in very early stages.

I have heard from reliable sources that in Patong every 4th bar girl is HIV infected (1 out of 4!).

This information was based on a national report and was supposed to be published in the local newspaper but authorities disallowed the paper to publish because they didn't want to scare the tourists away. True Story.

No, no, no. I have it from a reliable source in Pattaya that 1 out of every 3 women with black hair has clap. But in Phuket it is only 1 out of 6. Blonds are 1 out of 4.7. Besides everyone knows there are no reliable people in Phuket because I have it from a reliable source in Bangkok that all the reliable people in Phuket moved to Korat last June.

I'll do a sumary of this whole thread

1. Ignore the numbers game as it actually means nothing to individuals, discussing it is pointless

2. If you have not had an HIV test go imediatelay and get one (along with your partner if you have one), if you don't you are irresponsible to yourself and risk infecting other people you come in contact with, the thought being assume you have it unless proven otherwise - seriously - that is how you must look at this as far as I can see, because the people that don't know are the extreme risk factor in this mess - not the people that have it and are being treated.

3. If in doubt (which is nearly always) - use protection

Liike in an earlier post I commented - I can't understand my friends on holiday here and refuse to wear protection - maybe having unprotected sex with 30 - 40 women over a couple of months - that means if the first one had...... you do the figures

...in normal sex with natural vaginal lubrication, the chance of HIV infection passing on is, in truth, not that high. I agree it is risky and rather stupid not to wear a condom, but you can't "do the figures" by assuming every sexual encounter passes on HIV.

No, no, no. I have it from a reliable source in Pattaya that 1 out of every 3 women with black hair has clap. But in Phuket it is only 1 out of 6. Blonds are 1 out of 4.7. Besides everyone knows there are no reliable people in Phuket because I have it from a reliable source in Bangkok that all the reliable people in Phuket moved to Korat last June.

I think you'll find his reliable source is an old Korat tart who until only recently was working in Phuket. So it must indeed be statistically accurate. Furthermore, I heard from a reliable source in Phuket that 1 in 3 Thai bar girls are fascinated by statistics.

Edited by SPIKECM

1. Ignore the numbers game as it actually means nothing to individuals, discussing it is pointless

2. If you have not had an HIV test go imediatelay and get one (along with your partner if you have one), if you don't you are irresponsible to yourself and risk infecting other people you come in contact with, the thought being assume you have it unless proven otherwise - seriously - that is how you must look at this as far as I can see, because the people that don't know are the extreme risk factor in this mess - not the people that have it and are being treated.

Liike in an earlier post I commented - I can't understand my friends on holiday here and refuse to wear protection - maybe having unprotected sex with 30 - 40 women over a couple of months - that means if the first one had...... you do the figures

and 4 - Stay well, well away from bargirls.

I never got an STD from a bar girl. 2 nurses, a 7/11 clerk but never a bar girl.

That's it, I am only going to Family Mart from now on. rolleyes.gif

Rarely am I moved to compliment another poster but the above post makes a lot of sense. Especially on this thread where not a lot of sense is being made on a post per minute basis. Good show and all that.

• Like 1

...in normal sex with natural vaginal lubrication, the chance of HIV infection passing on is, in truth, not that high. I agree it is risky and rather stupid not to wear a condom, but you can't "do the figures" by assuming every sexual encounter passes on HIV.

Yes I do understand that - are you advocating people should just ignore the risk - isn't that why millions of people worldwide have this disease, the WHO are trying to stop the spread of HIV and according to them the best way to do that is to make sure that everyone that is indected knows they are and are on effective treatment, so it stands to reason that the most dangerous people are those that don't practise safe sex and have many casual encounters but refuse to get screened - these are the people who are currently spreading this disease and most likely dieing from it because by the time they find out they have it they are already very ill and have most likely infected many others along the way

Although it seems to be fairly difficult to pass from female to male I'm not sure about the male to female assuming unprotected intercourse - don't know ebough about it

Edited by smedly

Yes I do understand that - are you advocating people should just ignore the risk - isn't that why millions of people worldwide have this disease, the WHO are trying to stop the spread of HIV and according to them the best way to do that is to make sure that everyone that is indected knows they are and are on effective treatment, so it stands to reason that the most dangerous people are those that don't practise safe sex and have many casual encounters but refuse to get screened - these are the people who are currently spreading this disease and most likely dieing from it because by the time they find out they have it they are already very ill and have most likely infected many others along the way

Although it seems to be fairly difficult to pass from female to male I'm not sure about the male to female assuming unprotected intercourse - don't know ebough about it

I try to be a straight up guy and do things right. I went to the clinic and got an HIV test. The head nurse from the clinic called me up at 8 PM one night and told me that the results of my tests were in. I got the HIV test and all the other smear tests too, it was 500 baht. She told me everything was OK and we chatted a bit on the phone and I picked her up for a late dinner after she got off of work. You wouldn’t think a condom was necessary would you??? She had chlamydia.

Is there a moral to my story? Yes there is.

• Like 2

There is a hidden problem in this, this HIV virus is adapting to its human host and becoming less aggressive, put simply where at one time infection was a one year death sentence, now it is more like 5 to 10 years. Putting this in perspective it means a much longer period of support and medication for those infected.

HIV was never a one year death sentence... in the beginning we had no idea what it was and by the time it progressed to full blown aids, yes, without the meds we have today a year or two was maybe a good life expectancy...but by the time that happened, they had already been infected for many years.

people are living longer simply because of meds and earlier detection. and it's not 5 or 10 years, we're talking 45+ (ie someone at 20 getting hiv and starting meds and taking them properly can expect to live a full life)

Nobody has lived for 45+ years with HIV since the virus only spread more or less 30 years ago. But what you're saying is that in theory with today's medications you can live a full live.

I imagine only a small number of those infected can live that long. Obviously having HIV raises the chances of dying prematurely due to an infection of any kind since the virus tends to kill your antibodies, right? So put in stats if you are HIV infected you probably have a 10% chance to live a full live. If anyone has the exact data please let us know.

look at it from another angle, just what is a full life, how do you define it? Is a life permanently tied to medication a full life? Does having to take extra care to avoid infections represent a full life? These are not rhetorical questions but based on personal observations of my wife. She had a kidney transplant 20 years ago, since then she takes 6 different drugs every day, they are immunosuppressive drugs to prevent reject of the kidney. Thus in a sense she is an artificially created AIDs sufferer. She leads a full life, enjoys gardening, painting, travelling around the world, but it has restrictions, it is not as full as it could be. She has to visit the hospital every month for checks on renal function, her drug dosages has to be monitored. If the donor kidney fails, and average useful life is about 20 years, it is like a Damoclene sword hanging over your head.

So just how do we define a full life?

Thailand has one of the highest rates of HIV infection in Asia and ranks up there with many countries in Africa. It is not a topic spoken about in Thailand or Asia for that matter. It's a matter of "face" and most who are infected do not want to know, they don't want their family to know, and in the end they end up in the hospital and die. Yes the new medications do provide for a certain level of wellness, but you will never be cured. Having worked in the world of HIV/AIDS since the beginning, I can attest firsthand that sticking your head in the sand will not make this disease go away.

There is a reality that you discussed above that so many of the married guys have sex with Lady Boys, other men, or prostitutes and then infect their wives or girlfriends. This is not new, just a reality. In Thailand many have access to medication, but they will not seek help until they are very sick, they will not tell their family until they are very ill, and they just die and everyone say's "I didn't even know he or she was sick"? I know of so many Thai's who just died and then the family finds out they had HIV/AIDS.

There is no regulation of bar girls, ladyboys, or money boy's in Thailand. They don't have health insurance, won't get tested because it is better to make some money to eat, than to know anything about your health. It is important to recognize that this is not a Gay disease, but an equal opportunity disease. So you can spread the message about HIV, but you have to be willing to admit you are at risk, get tested, get treated if you are HIV+ and practice safer sex. Otherwise Thailand will continue to have HIV/AIDS infections just under the surface that bubble up to the surface when studies are done.

Many Thai's consider illness as punishment for something that you may have done in their past life. They don't want to face the reality. They don't want to lose "face"! Saving "face" will get you to the urn in no time and then you get the next life to make things right.

Figures.

When I first came here 20 years ago every girl insisted on condom use for fear of HIV. Now they all say they don't like condoms and don't want me to use one. And I'm not talking about hookers here, but girls you would consider educated and with an ability to think about the future.

this suprised me, i have relationships with none bar girls, usually with good jobs and degree's and as yet not one has even mentioned a condom. guess the flip side is neither did i.

I never got an STD from a bar girl. 2 nurses, a 7/11 clerk but never a bar girl.

Based on that i will skip the visit to the hospital for HIV test, your into uniforms right? the nurse thing suprises me as they should be more aware than anybody.

Figures.

this suprised me, i have relationships with none bar girls, usually with good jobs and degree's and as yet not one has even mentioned a condom. guess the flip side is neither did i.

You wouldn't catch me near a bargirl for this exact reason the risks of contracting deadly STD's is to great. I value my health to much to gamble.

Duh, that's because no one talks about it or admits they have it over there and there is no way if knowing until they are on deaths doorstep. I have known people with HIV and AIDs. You would never know the HIV carriers or people that have HIV unless they knew and told you. When it is in full blown AIDs, then you can tell something not right or they look frail and sick.

Some HIV medication causes fat to build up around the base of the neck giving a stocky almost deceptively healthy appearance - so there really is no way to tell if someone has HIV.

Based on that i will skip the visit to the hospital for HIV test, your into uniforms right? the nurse thing suprises me as they should be more aware than anybody.

Not just any nurse but the head nurse. There are a number of different HIV tests. The quick one only takes a minute and almost all the clinics in Pattaya and Bangkok do it. The test for all the usual STD's in my experience is done only at a hospital. For at example at Pattaya memorial they don't do the lab work every day but if you have the test done on a day that the lab work is done it is only a short period of time for the results. A number of bars and go go's require monthly testing and some test before starting work. Sometimes the women go to the clinic and sometimes the clinic comes to the club depends on the owner. Most of the places require the ladies pay for the tests.

In my experience the tests are not a scam and the results are not bought and sold. I say this because I knew a couple of women who had to quit a club (Farang owned) and went to work for a Thai club that mostly catered to Japanese men.

I can't understand why all club owners at least in Pattaya don't require testing. They didn't loose many ladies as a result of positive results. I don't want to list the names of the clubs that I know that test because I don't think I am supposed to but it is easy to find out. Like I said, I knew a number of women who worked there and I personally took them to a clinic to be tested and it was a real test with real results and they could not go back to work without the test results.

You wouldn't catch me near a bargirl for this exact reason the risks of contracting deadly STD's is to great. I value my health to much to gamble.

I know you and your brother Chooka don’t like bar girls but I do think you need to make a distinction between ladies who are at the bottom of the coconut and those who work in an establishment that tests. For example there are a number of clubs in Pattaya that test for VD and HIV monthly and all other STD’s weekly. And I was not making up the fact that I never got an STD from a bar girl but only from non bar girls. I think promiscuous non bar girls may be a greater source of STD’s than bar girls. And for sure people who use IV drugs. Your advice to stay away from bar girls I think should be evaluated for what it is; moral advice and not health related. If a guy is on a holiday in Thailand and does not speak Thai, have a job and decent car and home; the ladies he is going to meet are all worthy of careful screening, condoms and medical testing. Your anti bar girl feelings are not relevant.

Me, on the other hand, I would be wise to listen to your advice as I am a handsome devil who speaks Thai and lives here with a stable income. I get a lot of good girl action with ladies who have never even held hands with a guy before. So in my case your advice makes sense. I should really avoid bar girls.

According to the following article:

"One study suggests the average life expectancy of an HIV infected individual is 32 years from the time of infection if

treatment is started when the CD4 count is 350/µL.[152] Life expectancy is further enhanced if antiretroviral therapy is initiated

before the CD4 count falls below 500/µL.[30]

"In the absence of HAART, progression from HIV infection to AIDS has been observed to occur at a median of between nine

to ten years and the median survival time after developing AIDS is only 9.2 months.[15] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV

"Dr Valerie Delpech, consultant epidemiologist and head of HIV surveillance at the HPA, said: "HIV is an infection

which can nowadays be treated and those diagnosed promptly can expect to experience similar life expectancy as an

individual without the infection."

http://www.huffingto..._n_1117654.html

"... In the USA though, newly diagnosed patients have a life expectancy only a few months shorter than people without HIV.

Modern drugs are much easier to take, and many patients get by on a single pill a day.

http://www.cbsnews.c...0-10391704.html

I see on this thread many people I assume to be falang males and sexually active in Thailand talking about Thai ladies and their activities and status regarding HIV, to you I say this - you have absolutly no right to post or discuss such things about Thai women on any forum until you can say without doubt that you have taken steps on a regular basis to ensure you are STD free, the - it would never happen to me attitude - from many people is what untimately spreads these diseases including HIV

I must admit I get angry when my friends on holiday here brag about going bareback with many women over the weeks/months they are here - it is careless and irresponsible

• Like 2

How "stupid" is not wearing a condom, if one finds them extremely boring, unpleasant, or otherwise distasteful

relative to bareback sex? As to the "risk", how statisticly risky is BB to using a condom?

"If we take Degan's number of 1/2000, and use 10% infection in the target group (and that is probably too large, but we'll go with it), we arrive at 13,862.6 sexual encounters to have a 50% probability of infection. That's a different partner every single day for about 38 years, and then it is only even money you are infected."

http://www.thaivisa....am/page__st__75

Add things like circumsicion, recently all negative STD tests, etc, and, i suggest, doing BB may be nearly as safe

or safer than condom sex without those advantages.

By your numbers then it is nearly impossible to get HIV. Isn't it peculiar how so many millions across the world died from it regardless. They must have been doing it every day for at least half a century.

How "stupid" is not wearing a condom, if one finds them extremely boring, unpleasant, or otherwise distasteful

relative to bareback sex? As to the "risk", how statisticly risky is BB to using a condom?

"If we take Degan's number of 1/2000, and use 10% infection in the target group (and that is probably too large, but we'll go with it), we arrive at 13,862.6 sexual encounters to have a 50% probability of infection. That's a different partner every single day for about 38 years, and then it is only even money you are infected."

http://www.thaivisa....am/page__st__75

Add things like circumsicion, recently all negative STD tests, etc, and, i suggest, doing BB may be nearly as safe

or safer than condom sex without those advantages.

By your numbers then it is nearly impossible to get HIV. Isn't it peculiar how so many millions across the world died from it regardless. They must have been doing it every day for at least half a century.

Not so. The quoted numbers were not mine, but if we go with them, for those having sex with an HIV infected individual,

they stand a 1 in 2000 chance of getting HIV the first time. One could get unlucky in the initial encounter, or it may not

ever happen. Just like buying a ticket for a lottery. One could also get unlucky re HIV as a condom user.

Edited by oldthaihand99

It is insane how intelligent, educated Thais would rather not use protection. I am not a Lothario by any means, and I have never been with a protistitute, but how the hell do they know that? You cannot tell within a couple of weeks or months whether a person is trustworthy and whether you should trust what they say about their sexual history.

The fact that they are willing to have unprotected sex scares the shit out of me and really puts me off.

• Like 1

I know you and your brother Chooka don’t like bar girls but I do think you need to make a distinction between ladies who are at the bottom of the coconut and those who work in an establishment that tests. For example there are a number of clubs in Pattaya that test for VD and HIV monthly and all other STD’s weekly. And I was not making up the fact that I never got an STD from a bar girl but only from non bar girls. I think promiscuous non bar girls may be a greater source of STD’s than bar girls. And for sure people who use IV drugs. Your advice to stay away from bar girls I think should be evaluated for what it is; moral advice and not health related. If a guy is on a holiday in Thailand and does not speak Thai, have a job and decent car and home; the ladies he is going to meet are all worthy of careful screening, condoms and medical testing. Your anti bar girl feelings are not relevant.

Me, on the other hand, I would be wise to listen to your advice as I am a handsome devil who speaks Thai and lives here with a stable income. I get a lot of good girl action with ladies who have never even held hands with a guy before. So in my case your advice makes sense. I should really avoid bar girls.

Yes a personal choice and it appears we both don't need to resort to the bargirls but unfortunately some just have to and if it is thier last resort then they should take extreem caution and wrap up very well.

Do you trust your partner ???   if you do you are loyal-or a fool ??  what I am getting at is, if you and your partner has sex unpretected-fine BUT what if one of you has a quick one off,  would either confess---no they wouldn't.  so what do all persons do--best to use em even if you are  "married"  how can anyone fully trust---given the amount of marriages that fail because of unfaithfulness --food for thought, in this modern world.

I see where you are coming from and am aware of all the vaccines you mentioned, shall we have a poll here to see how many have had them ? but to be honest I don't buy into a lot of the info you linked too, you can equally find other statistics that are different, if your intent is to try and justify not using protection then I would strenuously question that but regardless that's just me, my main point is this - the huge unknown with HIV is how many out there have it and are unaware after all it is basically a symptomless disease until it progresses to AIDS, we can only assume certain things and lay them against the known factors as you have posted, I think the big question is this - how many of the sexually active population of any country have had an HIV test, how many have multiple partners, e.g in Thailand if 1 million are infected how many of the sexually active where tested to produce that result - if you were to assume the sample size was 5 million and assume that there are 30 million sexually active in Thailand that would make for some very scary figures indeed albeit if it was true which it isn't because most of the data is unknown, my own opinion is if there are 1 million Thais that have tested positive then there must be at least double that who are positive and have not been tested

anyway I think the world recognised best practice method of protection is to use a condom, some may disagree with that but up to them to do their own research

Edited by smedly

Some posts have been removed. Suggesting that engaging in unprotected sexual activities having no relevance to the risk of contracting Hivaids is absurd. Do not use Thai Visa to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false or inaccurate.

I try to be a straight up guy and do things right. I went to the clinic and got an HIV test. The head nurse from the clinic called me up at 8 PM one night and told me that the results of my tests were in. I got the HIV test and all the other smear tests too, it was 500 baht. She told me everything was OK and we chatted a bit on the phone and I picked her up for a late dinner after she got off of work. You wouldn’t think a condom was necessary would you??? She had chlamydia.

Is there a moral to my story? Yes there is.

Lovely story. :)

I would dare say that you stand an even chance of getting something nasty from a "good girl" in Thailand as easily as from a "bad girl".

She had chlamydia.

Was her name Fa?

coffee1.gif

I think the 1 million figure is cumulative.

If it's not the that is a stunning about face because Thailand has been touted as a prime success in the reduction of HIV infection and treatment, and recently the drugs have neen touted as very effective preventatives reducing transmission rates dramatically by those already infected. Given HIV transmission is really not so very easy anyway you wonder about these reports.

So either way, as usual, in this subject area I am left head scratching.

My own personal scrape with HIV happened 14 years ago, when unwittingly I was sleeping with an HIV infected girlfriend on a regular basis. Thankfully, I came out negative but greatly stressed, and that is a story I have heard repeatedly to the point that based on my own life experience, those I have known, anecdotes on here, and known rates in the west, I greatly suspect HIV has been grossly over stated as a problem.