Inverted Racism In Thailand......

theblether

About the language : foreigners having trouble with the tones in Thai are like Thais having trouble with terminal sounds in many foreign languages.

It's a matter of training your ear to hear what it previously hasn't been trained to hear as significant, and therefore training your mouth to say etc.

I find this example to be most effective in motivating my pupils to make an effort with terminal sounds!

Edited by Trembly

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As beetlejuice pointed out, this has developed into a very interesting topic.

Can someone who has been through the process of gaining citizenship give us an outline of their thought processes, the procedure and timing please?

Having said all that, I can't understand why any able and willing foreigner who has made Thailand is home would not want Thai citizenship other than through sheer laziness, or perhaps some sense of fervent patriotic loyalty (?).

Or financial reasons. Plus I really still can't see much more benefit than being on a retirement visa. (not that I am on one of those either).

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

If you have dual citizenship, your 'home country' will not use its consular powers to assist you against persecution by your adopted country.

SC

Consular powers to assist us? That must be the standing joke of the decade.

I won't slate anyone who decides to take up Thai citizenship but there's no way on this earth I would. I've seen many examples in the real world and on this forum where people's attitudes point to a broad-based loss of perspective. They have this "more-Thai-than-thou" thing going on that's especially cringe-worthy.

For sure, Thailand is a great place to live (if you've got a bit of dosh) but it's also a mickey mouse, dysfunctional nation that the rest of the world quite rightly regards as a joke. Of course, having lived here for a little while, I know that a lot of criticism levelled at Thailand is unjustified but, the undeniable truth is that more than enough of it is justified to prevent me from ever wanting to have my name associated with it in so permanent a manner.

Someone granted citizenship in the UK, the US or Canada is considered British, American or Canadian because those countries have a fairly long history of ethnic diversity in their cultures.

Thailand does not.

Period.

Therefore, you'll never be Thai and no amount of flashing a new passport, pulling your shirt up over your belly and cursing in your best Thai is gonna change that shit.

In the words of Margaret Thatcher when explaining why Britain would never cede control of the pound sterling to Brussels, "No, No, No"

British forever thank you very much. God Save The Queen !

Edited by HardenedSoul
  • Like 2

I always wonder why anyone would find any attraction, or much benefit in taking on Thai Nationality,

Personally I would never give it a minutes thought,I was born English,and will remain a loyal,Englishman until I die.

Sadly it must be said,you are only wanted in Thailand while you have money,I should hope that those that do take on Thai Nationality,realise that.

And if they ever need serious help in their lives,and it all goes wrong,then dont expect Thailand to bail you out,as your own Country would do.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Exchanging nationalities like becoming a Thai from a Brit is like playing for Man Utd then giving that up and playing for Acriton Stanley.

Thanks for that Bon Mot.

Clearly you hsven't read anything in this thread.

But I do not believe this is a bad thing, because giving out citizenships like candy, as does the United States and Britain would be a disaster for Thailand, for reasons that I have mentioned above and could spell the end of Thai culture, as we know it.

To gain citizenship in the UK you've got to have lived and worked here for 5 years and you've got to pass an exam which includes the English Language. How is that different to becoming a Thai citizen?

Posts and links like yours make my book boil as the simply reinforce falsehoods.

Uuuuh, posts like your simply make my blood boil . . . oh, hang on . . . no they don't because I'm not a menopausal woman in my 50s without access to the proper meds.

Check out the thread from 2010 that deals with this. I was wrong - the law was altered.

http://www.thaivisa....al-nationality/

Hmm, I was born in Thailand yet am not eligible for Thai nationality . . . not that I'd want it

Edited by Sing_Sling

Thailand does not accept dual nationality past the age of 18 or so, I believe

Do you have a Thai passport? Have you applied for one? Perhaps the question will be raised then.

A brief word to a mate at the embassy confirms it, though . . . I guess the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy comes into effect.

I know that when I had to renew my passport I was asked if I had taken any other citizenship . . . a 'yes' would have meant trouble. I don't have the same issue with my Oz pp

I know at least 30 Thais here in the UK who have both Thai and UK passports. I've just signed the applications as a referee for a further 8. I also know that when one of them entered Thailand on his UK passport and then realised he wanted to stay more than 30 days he went to immigration who stamped him out as a Brit and back in as a Thai without any problem at all.

Chest thumpers ahoy!

Predictably this thread has descended into an emotional conflation of the three kinds of identities many of us earth-dwellers have :

1. Ethnic (fixed)

2. Cultural (mutable)

3. Political / National (arbitrary)

Some people have all three in coincidence, but these people are precious few in the English speaking countries I suppose most of the posters on this thread are from.

I'd have every passport in the world if I could (for as long as passports are needed), I'd also speak every language on this earth if I only I could. I don't hold any scorn for any of them . . . think of all the stuff you could do, the understandings you could have, the girls you could talk to etc etc ! None of this means that I don't know my heritage and am not proud of the associations that there are to be proud of. It's probably not just me.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 2

Having said all that, I can't understand why any able and willing foreigner who has made Thailand is home would not want Thai citizenship other than through sheer laziness, or perhaps some sense of fervent patriotic loyalty (?).

Or financial reasons. Plus I really still can't see much more benefit than being on a retirement visa. (not that I am on one of those either).

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

They can change the retirement visa requirements tomorrow. If you have a Thai passport you have right of abode.

Can someone who has been through the process of gaining citizenship give us an outline of their thought processes, the procedure and timing please?

Camerata and Dbrenn have both posted threads on their citizenship applications.

Posts and links like yours make my book boil as the simply reinforce falsehoods.

Uuuuh, posts like your simply make my blood boil . . . oh, hang on . . . no they don't because I'm not a menopausal woman in my 50s without access to the proper meds.

Check out the thread from 2010 that deals with this. I was wrong - the law was altered.

http://www.thaivisa....al-nationality/

Hmm, I was born in Thailand yet am not eligible for Thai nationality . . . not that I'd want it

Eh?

As an FYI, you might like to know that 2008 amendments to the Nationality Act means that anyone born between 1971 and 1992 to foreign parents in Thailand can now be granted Thai nationality fairly easily at via the Ampur so long as that person can show an ongoing link to Thailand. No need to go through the long winded naturalisation process.

Those born pre 1971 were highly likely to be born to parents who were foreigners are likely to be Thai nationals, unless those parents were diplomats or on short term visas less than three months.

Not that you'd want it of course. Too cool for school and all that.

Edited by samran

Eh?

As an FYI, you might like to know that 2008 amendments to the Nationality Act means that anyone born between 1971 and 1992 to foreign parents in Thailand can now be granted Thai nationality fairly easily at via the Ampur so long as that person can show an ongoing link to Thailand. No need to go through the long winded naturalisation process.

Those born pre 1971 were highly likely to be born to parents who were foreigners are likely to be Thai nationals, unless those parents were diplomats or on short term visas less than three months.

Bingo . . . parents were dips:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/534739-christmas-1965-bangkok/page__fromsearch__1

Too cool for Thai citizenship? giggle.gif Yes, whatever you say . . . I have three and don't need another one - I currently work in Malaysia and have no plans to live in Thailand again . . . so, how is that relevant to your sophomoric comment?

Eh?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/534739-christmas-1965-bangkok/page__fromsearch__1

Too cool for Thai citizenship? giggle.gif Yes, whatever you say . . . I have three and don't need another one - I currently work in Malaysia and have no plans to live in Thailand again . . . so, how is that relevant to your sophomoric comment?

My kids have three passports each as well. Could have been four if we hung our in the UK longer.

Sophomoric? I prefer 'undergraduate' to define my comments.

But I do not believe this is a bad thing, because giving out citizenships like candy, as does the United States and Britain would be a disaster for Thailand, for reasons that I have mentioned above and could spell the end of Thai culture, as we know it.

To gain citizenship in the UK you've got to have lived and worked here for 5 years and you've got to pass an exam which includes the English Language. How is that different to becoming a Thai citizen?

Not in all cases.

Britain is renowned for taking in the scum of the Earth. Many economic refugees, the so-called political refugees, people that take advantage of the soft UK Immigration laws and lak of Immigration enforcement policies.

It maybe more difficult for some to enter into Britain than Thailand, but once in and gain a foothold, there is vitually nothing that can shift them under the do gooder human rights laws. As a matter a fact the UK Government literally turns a blind eye to the problems of the number of Immigrants, overstayers and Illegal Immigrants flooding into the country.

I would hate to see Thailand go in the same direction and so far there is still a world of difference between the immigrantion policies of Britain and Thailand. But there are presently a huge amount of Westerners that are plonking themselves into the Kingdom and having to run illegal businesses, work illegally and bending the laws to stay here. So if the Thai authorities are not careful the Government will also be facing major immigration problems in the not so distant future.

This can only cause problems for Thais and ex-pats alike. I truly hope that the Immigration policies of Thailand are never relaxed and continue to place financial requirements and ownership restrictions on Westerners moving here.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Camerata and Dbrenn have both posted threads on their citizenship applications.

Thanks for that............here are the links.

camerata

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/74654-cameratas-guide-to-the-permanent-residence-process/page__fromsearch__1

dbrenn

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/121353-story-of-my-thai-citizenship-application/page__fromsearch__1

Not in all cases.

Britain is renowned for taking in the scum of the Earth. Many economic refugees, the so-called political refugees, people that take advantage of the soft UK Immigration laws and lak of Immigration enforcement policies.

That's one of the downsides of having an empire.

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

My kids have three passports each as well. Could have been four if we hung our in the UK longer.

Sophomoric? I prefer 'undergraduate' to define my comments.

Aah, but not with the same connotations . . .

So, no need for a Thai passport - not for playground bragging rights, rather due to using common sense. Next stop - no idea when - is maybe back to Sydney . . . not Thailand

Not in all cases.

That's one of the downsides of having an empire.

Surely not that old pretext again, that because Britain took from the empire, now it`s payback time.

Immigration well exceeded the old empire Immigrants long ago. Now they have the Eastern Europeans, Middle Eastern refuges, African political refuges, South Asians, you name them, they’re there.

The worst of it is, that most of these are poor economic migrants that no other countries want.

And this is what happens in countries with lax immigration policies.

• Like 1

You live in Malaysia and have no interest in ever living in Thailand again, yet day after day you troll a Thai message board making inaccurate and derogatory posts about Thailand and Thais. Sounds like a great life dude

You live in Malaysia and have no interest in ever living in Thailand again, yet day after day you troll a Thai message board making inaccurate and derogatory posts about Thailand and Thais. Sounds like a great life dude

Maybe he's a Southern Separatist and has vowed never to set foot over the border till his country is free again.

Maybe he's Sean Connery.

I see little point in speculating about others, other than for childish entertainment, unless it helps one maintain a positive outlook on life and one's fellows

SC

Immigration well exceeded the old empire Immigrants long ago. Now they have the Eastern Europeans, Middle Eastern refuges, African political refuges, South Asians, you name them, they’re there.

They're here as far as I'm concerned and the reality is nowhere near as bad as some newspapers would have you believe.

• Like 1

Very different,with UK Citizenship,you get all the financial Benefits that a indigenous Brit gets,exactly the same.

Thailand you get nothing much, practically in comparison...........Zilch.

Very different,with UK Citizenship,you get all the financial Benefits that a indigenous Brit gets,exactly the same.

You get the same as the Thais get.

You get the same as the Thais get.

Well if that impresses you,then so be it.there is no comparison.