Falang Go Home . . .

Checker

What's a "Falang"?

Obviously you've never spent any time in northern Thailand... or anywhere in Thailand for that matter.

I learnt not to judge from first impressions; especially if a girl like HeavyDrinker has big hands...

Oh, I could fair go an 80/ now, though, it's a long time since I was a Heavy drinker.

SC

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked the cost of one and was told a very high price.

They were probably just keeping in line with the prices quoted at almost every Western-tourist spot in Thailand, by the happy, smiley, lovely Thais.

The cost was high compared to...what? Price of the same item back home? Or price of same item elsewhere in Thailand?

Did you snarl "pang" in a way that may have been miscontrued as an accusation of dishonesty?

I guess it should be considered an dishonesty,don't you?

They were probably just keeping in line with the prices quoted at almost every Western-tourist spot in Thailand, by the happy, smiley, lovely Thais.

The cost was high compared to...what? Price of the same item back home? Or price of same item elsewhere in Thailand?

Did you snarl "pang" in a way that may have been miscontrued as an accusation of dishonesty?

I guess it should be considered an dishonesty,don't you?

I don't have enough information to come to that conclusion.

As you probably know, many imported items in Thailand are subject to duties that can make them two or three times what they cost elsewhere.

If the item was "pang" compared to what it might be "back home", there could be other reasons than dishonesty.

I have never been directly told by a Thai to go back to my own country, but I have experienced prejudice in the past by Thais that have made it blatantly obvious they don’t like farangs.

Luckily over my many years here in Thailand, these events have been rare, but, and this is the strange part, the one’s that have shown prejudice have been Thai middle-aged women and Thai women and men that are educated and spoke perfect English.

Otherwise I have always been shown respect and courtesy from most Thai people.

Edited by Beetlejuice

The entire belief that Thais generally want Falangs to go home is a myth and is not based on reality...it comes from disgruntled Falangs posting on Thaivisa

Why would Thais be different from the population of any western country (take your pick) where they let any (almost) immigrant into their country. Do you think they like them?

There are some big differences between Thailand and the West

(1) In the West the complaint is that the Immigrants come over and go on public assistance/welfare. Thailand has no public benefit system. Western Immigrants to Thailand usually have more money than the local Thais.

(2) In the West the complaint is that the immigrants come and take jobs away from the natives. Most of the falangs are not allowed to work in Thailand. Any job that the Falang takes is not one that likely is a job Thais would do. Many Falangs end up teaching English. Thais can't really do that. Other surreptitious jobs, such as running a website to earn extra cash, are also jobs which do not effect Thais.

(3) The Westerners complain about foreigners coming up and buying land and setting up their own neighborhoods. (I.E. the complaint that London is now Londonistan.) Falangs don't do that because they can't own land. Even when the land is purchased illegally (through a company or Thai nominee) they can't be really open about ownership of the land.

Most Thais simply do not come into contact with Falang. In Thailand, I would not necessarily come into any contact with any Falang if I chose to do so.

I love threads like this. It gives the people who feel that Thais want them to go home the opportunity to gain a little insight into what it must be like to be an immigrant in their home country...

Edited by endure

your much to sensitive,

farang go home is only meant for ,

cheap charlies ,

budget billys ,

cautious colins ,

economic erics,

destitute dans,

frugal freddies,

pisshead pensioners.

lol giggle.giflicklips.gif

• Like 1

I think some ex-pats feel this way based on the restrictiveness of the immigration laws. You can't really say that immigration makes you feel welcome here.

No Thai governmental agency makes anyone, Thai or Falang, feel welcome.

• Like 1

I have often read that many expats feel that the Thais do not want them here in Thailand. Has anyone every been told by a Thai to leave Thailand and to go back to where you come from ? I am sure at times you can feel unwanted here however I would like to know if you have been told as much...

Only by Farangs on Thai Visa.

And it shows they have been in Thailand too long themselves..........Boring!

your much to sensitive,

cheap charlies ,

budget billys ,

cautious colins ,

economic erics,

destitute dans,

frugal freddies,

pisshead pensioners.

And not forgetting: Spent out Spencer.

your much to sensitive,

cheap charlies ,

budget billys ,

cautious colins ,

economic erics,

destitute dans,

frugal freddies,

pisshead pensioners.

And not forgetting: Spent out Spencer.

...and Soused Sams

I love threads like this. It gives the people who feel that Thais want them to go home the opportunity to gain a little insight into what it must be like to be an immigrant in their home country...

I've personally never had any problem with a legal immigrant coming to my country. Illegal immigrants? Different story.

95% of political incorrectness is having the independence not to following the rest of the herd. --connda

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Once in Phuket a Thai who was pulling out of a parking space at Tesco conspired with me to keep this high so Thai lady and her mother in a Mercedes, who was coming the wrong way against traffic to steal it and he kept her from it with his SUV while he was pulling out while I and several others had waited patiently to get spaces going the right direction.

Needless to say she was not happy and though the Thai guy pulling out intentionally blocked her from the space to let me get it first, of course I was the bad guy and she gave me both barrels in English when she got a space only feet away and hopped the rest of the waiting people, telling me how it was "HER country" "I should go back home" yada yada yada and she was quite a bit of entertainment for me and the other Thai's in her vicinity until her mother quite surprisingly finally told her to shut up in no uncertain terms.

Edited by WarpSpeed

my little niece would be sad if I left and my other 15 y.o. niece who has a serious demeanor would also be sad if I was to say: 'I have been expelled! and shall return no more!...'

of course, they would say: 'whaddaya talkin' about? ain't no one around here or down the market want ye to go anywhere...'...

an' the ladies that sell the veges and the chicken breasts and the nice home made tofu would certainly agree...and the chinese guy who I've known fer 10 years who runs the corner mini supermarket would mobilise his local mafia associates to thwart any attempt to have me removed...and the attractive middle aged lady that sells the tofu has got a nice 'glint' when I do my shopping...

so, I could say 'yeah'...ain't no reason to worry about a 'falang go home' scenario...tutsi is loved...little kids and market traders that I've never seen before shout: 'hello, tutsi!...' (tutsi surrepititiously swivels to check out the market ladies' equipment...I'm with my little niece so I'm OK...)

but I doan know about dem folks down in BKK...nossir...I'm just a small town kinda guy...

• Like 1

What's a "Falang"?

That is what Thais say, because they can not pronounce the "R" in Farang

Cough ... since Farang-Falang is a Thai word ... they can pronounce it any way they like to!

To write as we do simple is trying to replicate the sound we hear the Thai speak into English letters and phonetics.

What's a "Falang"?

That is what Thais say, because they can not pronounce the "R" in Farang

Cough ... since Farang-Falang is a Thai word ... they can pronounce it any way they like to!

To write as we do simple is trying to replicate the sound we hear the Thai speak into English letters and phonetics.

LOL suite yourself

Basically if a plethora of Thais told me to go home it might cause food for thought but seeing as the few Thais over the years who've been blatantly rude to me ( though never telling me to leave ) have looked as if they weren't too blessed in the brains or manners department it's like water off a duck's back.

The price was four times what it was in the UK and four times the price in another shop I found a short time after.

Did you read the op? I smiled when I said 'pang'. I am not rude when I negotiate a price and as confirmed by members of the Thai cycling club I ride with the owner has a dislike of farang.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Once in Phuket a Thai who was pulling out of a parking space at Tesco conspired with me to keep this high so Thai lady and her mother in a Mercedes, who was coming the wrong way against traffic to steal it and he kept her from it with his SUV while he was pulling out while I and several others had waited patiently to get spaces going the right direction.

Needless to say she was not happy and though the Thai guy pulling out intentionally blocked her from the space to let me get it first, of course I was the bad guy and she gave me both barrels in English when she got a space only feet away and hopped the rest of the waiting people, telling me how it was "HER country" "I should go back home" yada yada yada and she was quite a bit of entertainment for me and the other Thai's in her vicinity until her mother quite surprisingly finally told her to shut up in no uncertain terms.

You should have told her to go shop in a Thai shop, Tesco's is Farang country laugh.png

• Like 1