Buying An Online Business, Things To Know?

First of there is no difference between an online or offline business.

The first thing you should do before spending a single penny is perform Due Diligence. This is a process, where by you undertake an extensive investigation in the company. Contact the company selling the business and inform them you are about to start this process. You need to first of all know the following :

1. Who owns the business.

2. How many Directors are there.

3. Have you credit checked the directors

4. How long has the company been trading.

5. Are there any accounts, if so forensically scruntinise them, if there are no accounts, walk away.

6. Does the business actually own the website.

7. Are there any other activities the business does besides the website.

8. Why are they selling.

9. Do not confuse projected earnings with profit.

10. If it looks to good to be true, walk away.

Good luck

The main question is WHAT are you going to buy... are you only going to buy an online website offering (legal) services like downloads etc... or are you going to buy a "normal" business with tangible goods to be bought and sold by you...

for the latter, as autan mentioned, scrutinize the company as you would any "normal" business you intend to buy, specially check all the contracts you would need to take over, i.e. contracts with suppliers of goods, contracts with clients (i.e. longterm contracts) etc.

difference is then the transfer of the ownership of the website in question... and all the contracts behind the website like hosting fees, contracts with banks / service providers offering online payment facilities etc. etc. ... you will become an online merchant and thus have to deal with goods not arrived, payments withdrawn (chargeback from your clients) etc.

Then the question of legality of the business, i.e. the website can be legal in some countries but not others... so make sure it is legal in the country of your residence and the country of hosting your website...

Many websites do not sell merchandise, but makes money by the amount of visters it gets. I am looking into buying a website like this. Less work, right?

I am mainly looking to find out whats it take to maintain and own a website. Should I higher a web master?.. What would the costs be like per month? do I need to pay for a server..? Again I know nothing about this type of thing.

If you feel comfortable can you expand? what industry.

There are so many factors with an online business selling a product/service who are the clients, how do they pay, ad revenue, competition you know of, I can go on and on...... perhaps a few details will get more results. Lots of members are web savvy and are making money perhaps more detail will give you a better idea of what you are getting into.

Many websites do not sell merchandise, but makes money by the amount of visters it gets. I am looking into buying a website like this. Less work, right?

I am mainly looking to find out whats it take to maintain and own a website. Should I higher a web master?.. What would the costs be like per month? do I need to pay for a server..? Again I know nothing about this type of thing.

Well, then the only advice is... keep your fingers away from it...

Do you really think that their is money waiting for you out there in the net without doing nothing??? do you know how much work and money it needs to keep your own website on top of hitlists so that YOU get visitors in order for your visitors to click on advertisement on your website, because ONLY THEN you will get few cents for every few hundred clicks from your website to other websites...

Knowing nothing but investing in new business... say good buy to your money...

Do you really think that their is money waiting for you out there in the net without doing nothing??? do you know how much work and money it needs to keep your own website on top of hitlists so that YOU get visitors in order for your visitors to click on advertisement on your website, because ONLY THEN you will get few cents for every few hundred clicks from your website to other websites...

Im not rushing into anything. Did you even read my post? Your right I don't know anything about running a website and getting viewers to visit it..thats pretty much what I am asking. And yes I do bieleve I can have an income with basicly doing nothing.

coffee1.gif Geez.

Would you buy a garage if you knew nothing about automobiles?

Would you buy a restaurant if you didn't know how to cook?

If not, why would you put your hard-earned money into an on-line business without knowing anyhting about it?

Now if you're willing to hire an expert you trust to manage it...well, maybe.

But before I put MY money into anything I would check out every detail of it's operation.

Also I haven;t seen anyone yet mention two things I would consider vital first questions here in Thailand to be answered before I even asked anything else.

That is:

Is it LEGAL for me as a farang to own/manage/and operate that business from here in Thailand (i.e. what about a work permit?)

And...What about it's Thai TAX records? Let me see at least 1 year's records.

Otherwise, run away quickly.

licklips.gif

Note: Half (at least) of ALL new businesses go broke within the first 3 years. (fact)

Im not rushing into anything. Did you even read my post? Your right I don't know anything about running a website and getting viewers to visit it..thats pretty much what I am asking. And yes I do bieleve I can have an income with basicly doing nothing.

Only thugs or people who are plain stupid can believe that they can make income with doing basically nothing... but I'll give you an idea, cause I think you are just stupid and not a thug... so let us take the example of a shoe shop who's advertising I just see on top of the Thaivisa website, proivded by google...

1) the shoe shop has a contract with google, so that his advertisement pops up on this website (based on my previous visit to that shop)

2) Thaivisa has a contract with google and gets money for letting google show me that advertisement.

3) if I click on the ad of that shoeshop, google gets money from that shoe shop.

Now why do these contracts exist?

- Google likes to put adds on Thaivisa website, because Thaivisa website has a high number of visitors

- the shoe shop likes to pay google for showing the add, because I might buy something when I click on the ad.

So now YOU want to set up your own website with advertisements for that shoe shop and everytime somebody comes to your website and clicks on the ad, you get money, say 5 cent for every 10 clicks on the ad of that shoe shop...

Why should the shoe shop make a contract with you to pay you for putting his ad on your website and pay you for every click? The shoe shop is ONLY interested in doing such a contract with you, if the shoe shop believes that you have a high number of visitors on your website AND if the shoe shop thinks that your visitors might be interested in buying shoes.

How can you have high number of visitors on your website?

a ) ONLY if your website has something interesting to offer (like information about Thailand) and evolves continually (means work... work... work...)

b ) ONLY if your website shows up in Internet searches (google, yahoo etc.) in the top 10 results

otherwise the number of visitors to your website will be virtually zero and therefore nobody will click on any add on your website and thus, you make no money...

How can you show up in the top 10 results of search results? By putting tags on your website, keep them up to date and / or pay money to google / yahoo / other companies to ensure a high number of clicks on your website and show your website in the top 10 of their individual search results...

So the end result is that first, YOU pay money to make YOUR website attractive for visitors BEFORE any visitor will click on your add and make your website profitable... Of course, you can have a webmaster for all that work, but then his salary is also decucted from any FUTURE profit you will maybe make...

And now finally... you say that you might BUY an existing business... just think for one minute... IF it is so easy to make money without doing anything... WHY would that company want to sell their business that generates money without work????????????

Which brings me back to my initial comments: Only thugs or people who are plain stupid can believe that they can make income with doing basically nothing...

Edited by Swiss1960
  • Like 1

The best way to make a small fortune, is to start with a large one.

As a business owner, I can tell you, that any successful business requires a lot of work. Plus you must continually continue to put in a lot of effort to maintain the success.

Make money for doing nothing? Sorry, this does not happen in the real world, unless you are doing something shady and illegal.

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 1

The best way to make a small fortune, is to start with a large one.

As a business owner, I can tell you, that any successful business requires a lot of work. Plus you must continually continue to put in a lot of effort to maintain the success.

Make money for doing nothing? Sorry, this does not happen in the real world, unless you are doing something shady and illegal.

+1

As a very general rule of thumb, established sites with a stable income can command between 10 months to a couple of years of profit, depending on A LOT of variables. Best to do some research at some sites where you can buy and sell websites. Flippa.com is a good site to see what sites have sold for, what types of sites are being sold etc. Study those sales for a while before deciding to pull the trigger on this site you're looking at buying.

Only thugs or people who are plain stupid can believe that they can make income with doing basically nothing... but I'll give you an idea, cause I think you are just stupid and not a thug... so let us take the example of a shoe shop who's advertising I just see on top of the Thaivisa website, proivded by google...

1) the shoe shop has a contract with google, so that his advertisement pops up on this website (based on my previous visit to that shop)

2) Thaivisa has a contract with google and gets money for letting google show me that advertisement.

3) if I click on the ad of that shoeshop, google gets money from that shoe shop.

Now why do these contracts exist?

- Google likes to put adds on Thaivisa website, because Thaivisa website has a high number of visitors

- the shoe shop likes to pay google for showing the add, because I might buy something when I click on the ad.

So now YOU want to set up your own website with advertisements for that shoe shop and everytime somebody comes to your website and clicks on the ad, you get money, say 5 cent for every 10 clicks on the ad of that shoe shop...

Why should the shoe shop make a contract with you to pay you for putting his ad on your website and pay you for every click? The shoe shop is ONLY interested in doing such a contract with you, if the shoe shop believes that you have a high number of visitors on your website AND if the shoe shop thinks that your visitors might be interested in buying shoes.

How can you have high number of visitors on your website?

a ) ONLY if your website has something interesting to offer (like information about Thailand) and evolves continually (means work... work... work...)

b ) ONLY if your website shows up in Internet searches (google, yahoo etc.) in the top 10 results

otherwise the number of visitors to your website will be virtually zero and therefore nobody will click on any add on your website and thus, you make no money...

How can you show up in the top 10 results of search results? By putting tags on your website, keep them up to date and / or pay money to google / yahoo / other companies to ensure a high number of clicks on your website and show your website in the top 10 of their individual search results...

So the end result is that first, YOU pay money to make YOUR website attractive for visitors BEFORE any visitor will click on your add and make your website profitable... Of course, you can have a webmaster for all that work, but then his salary is also decucted from any FUTURE profit you will maybe make...

And now finally... you say that you might BUY an existing business... just think for one minute... IF it is so easy to make money without doing anything... WHY would that company want to sell their business that generates money without work????????????

Which brings me back to my initial comments: Only thugs or people who are plain stupid can believe that they can make income with doing basically nothing...

No offense Swiss123 - too much coffee?

Only the the gullible and clueless use Adwords. Only the gullible and clueless buys a business whether it's online or offline. Only the gullible and clueless use a webmaster. An IT and common sense education for you me lad, see you in 5 years time. That's the best advice your going to get.

Good luck you will need it. Disaster waiting to happen.

coffee1.gif Geez.

Would you buy a garage if you knew nothing about automobiles?

Would you buy a restaurant if you didn't know how to cook?

If not, why would you put your hard-earned money into an on-line business without knowing anyhting about it?

Now if you're willing to hire an expert you trust to manage it...well, maybe.

But before I put MY money into anything I would check out every detail of it's operation.

Also I haven;t seen anyone yet mention two things I would consider vital first questions here in Thailand to be answered before I even asked anything else.

That is:

Is it LEGAL for me as a farang to own/manage/and operate that business from here in Thailand (i.e. what about a work permit?)

And...What about it's Thai TAX records? Let me see at least 1 year's records.

Otherwise, run away quickly.

licklips.gif

Note: Half (at least) of ALL new businesses go broke within the first 3 years. (fact)

Seriously. WHY do you think I am asking questions and researching online?? I am no where near ready to buy a website. Your right, first I need to learn about it. Which is what I am doing.

These answers make me laugh.

Well, it is possible to have an online business where you don't technically work/sell anything. But anybody who already has a successful one won't sell it to you, because... well, if they don't have to do anything and the money keeps coming in, why would they sell it in the first place?

If that's the kind of website you're looking for, you're better off building one from scratch. Of course, it can take a year or more before you see any profits. That is... if you know what you're doing; otherwise, you'll never see any profits.