Vientiane Visa Run Report 19 March 2012

I'll say from the outset that I couldn't care less about prices. So please spare us comments on the finances, you do the trip your way, I'll do it mine... I detest queueing and/or wasting my time, including wasting too much time negotiating. I pay what I'm comfortable with or I walk away, simple. For the thrifty, I've made some comments in blue...

Took the gf so some of the prices are x 2

Flew Nok Air to Udon Thani Saturday. About 4,500 baht each (return).

(you can take a bus from CM to Nong Khai for a few hundred baht)

On arrival in udon, there's a counter in the airport saying 200 baht to the bridge. 400 baht and we were off in a vip minibus, only the two of us aboard.

(you can find cheaper ways to get from UT to the bridge if you go outside and negotiate)

Passed through immigration with no issues. At the toilets just before Thai immigration there's a lady will do passport photos for 50 baht (I forgot to bring any so used this service).

Paid 20 baht x 2 to be herded onto a large bus to the other side.

Lao side painless immigration procedure. 2 photos and $35+1 ($1 extra because Saturday) in used US$ bills (I didn't have any new/clean ones) - no issues at all - 5 minutes.

Beat my way through a heaving mass of humanity and quickly found another vip bus - 150baht each and we were off, again in our own "private" minibus.

Found a hotel "khamkoun". 480,000 kip (~$60) for 3 nights. Wouldn't stay there again without checking first if they've fixed their wifi (wasn't working). Apart from the wifi the facilities were adequate (clean, good strong hot shower, a/c, minibar).

(cheap hotels and guest houses seem to be around the $10 to $20 a night mark)

Thanks to Foursquare, discovered "Via Via" - Good food & beer! Lots of other small places around the center of town.

Did the usual touristy stuff - visited the victory monument, wandered around town, gf tried a Lao Massage (35,000 kip/$4) and discovered they're even more brutal than Thai Massage. Visited the Night Market. I suspect VTE is not for everybody it's a bit small, quiet and laid back but personally I found it quite pleasant, I could happily spend a week there chilling out...

Monday am, headed to the consulate 07:30 Monday and was dismayed to see 15+ bodies milling around outside... Gave it a body swerve straight to the "agent". Didn't bother negotiating with him (5,000 baht), left him with my passport and a signed visa application, was back in bed by 8am for a lazy Monday start. :) 11am did some more wandering around, brunched at Via Via again, then chilled out until Tuesday.

(I think this is probably the same guy other reports suggest will do it for 3,000?).

Khamkoun hotel check-out time is 12:00 so no rush. Just in time to go downstairs have a coffee and meet the agent at 12:15 with passport & double entry visa...

Reverse trip, similar prices up to UT. Only 5 minutes at the border, checked they gave me the right stamp (60 days) and uneventful trip back to UT/CM Nok Air.

Spent about 25,000 baht in total. Could've done it for half that and solo (bus to Nong Khai & back, and not paying (or paying less) to visa agent) if I cared about the cash.

post-142120-0-84117800-1332302694_thumb.

• Like 2

More importantly, how much was the bottle of Leffe?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Haha... Oh yes... That was my first Leffe in years... And 2nd. 3rd. 4th. 5th. :)

40,000 kip... $5

The minibus I came back in sailed straight through customs to a 5 minute stop at immigration for the stamp. Could've kicked myself for not grabbing a case of the stuff to bring back...

Oh, by the way...

Getting around and about Vientiane "farang" price seems to be 30,000 kip or 100 baht from just about anywhere to anywhere (for 2 people)...

The Leffe can be had at Via Via along with a decent menu

You can get a bicycle ($3) or Motorcycle ($10) / day at the hotel. If you're used to driving on the right side of the road (i.e. the left) do remember to look the "wrong way" if you don't want to decorate the front of a bus... smile.png

The Lao equivalent of those mountain folks aggressively selling wooden frogs, seems to be Lao folks selling hammocks. More "in your face" beggars too, that the bar & restaurant owners don't seem to mind wandering in and visiting customers' tables...

DTAC - prepaid worked on and off, mostly off. Roamed to beeline for calls but not for 3g so Blackberry didn't work.

DTAC - postpaid didn't work at all. Maybe need to tell them you want roaming.

AIS - Didn't work at all and didn't roam - again maybe need to tell them you want roaming, although it's a prepaid line)

True-H & 3G+ worked. Didn't roam because the signal was reasonable, presumably CAT have a tower directly opposite VTE on the Thai side...

Edited by bobl

How many Tourist Visa's did you have already?

Oops. Was sure I'd mentioned that, but it was in a reply to another thread...

No Thai visas. Lots of African ones and 3+ pages of 15 & 30 day Thai entries. So this was the first Thai tourist visa. Agent said a 2nd double entry after 6 months shouldn't be an issue provided they don't move the goalposts again, but trying for a 3rd might result in a single entry w/red stamp.

So, about the same overall cost as a 1 year Educational Visa? OK, sounds like you had an enjoyable trip, but doing all this on a regular basis? Surely a few hours "attendance" learning Thai weekly would be just as productive and ultimately save you a considerable sum? Just a thought... The Pizza and Leffe did look YUMMY though!! :)

So, about the same overall cost as a 1 year Educational Visa? OK, sounds like you had an enjoyable trip, but doing all this on a regular basis? Surely a few hours "attendance" learning Thai weekly would be just as productive and ultimately save you a considerable sum? Just a thought... The Pizza and Leffe did look YUMMY though!! smile.png

Not exactly, considering an Ed visa's typically ~25,000 baht plus a trip to a neighbour... But yes, I suppose so. If the object of the exercise was to get the cheapest and easiest 1yr stay I might consider an Ed visa, but I'm more likely (if things continue a downturn in Africa) to get my ass back to UK and via my company, send myself to Th on a 1 yr business visa... And if the object was to get the cheapest tourist visa I'd have gone the sub-10,000 baht by road solo diy route to vte...

Pizza was from a wood burning oven like the one I had in my pub in Africa... It was ever so slightly "wet" (I prefer a little bit "thicker" tomato sauce) for my liking but delicious nonetheless... Similarly the Caprese was too much tomato (or not enough cheese), but they got the dressing about right...

Can't argue - although FYI it is possible to get a 1yr ED Visa without leaving Thailand (my GF is Filipino and has done this) but I do appreciate that different rules apply to ASEAN/non-ASEAN members blah, blah blah... And of course immigration rules seem to change just as frequently as the weather back in Blighty! Thank you for taking the trouble to post your itinerary - most informative/enjoyable read. If everyone's circumstances were the same life would be rather dull for sure:)

Hi

Thanks for report, I went last year and got a tourist visa without problem, single entry(all I wanted/needed) no prior tourist visas.

I also went to Via Via a couple of times and agree, I thought the pizza was excellent, nice place.

wifi didn`t work where I stayed either(Asia Pavilion) other than a very weak signal for a few minutes.

Cheers

So how many days did you get on your new tourist visa, (or have I mis-rad your post ansd it was a different kind of visa?) before you have to report again over the border?

Perhaps I wasn't clear... it's a bog standard double entry tourist visa (60 days, then 30 extension at cm immi in May. Then border run to Mae Sai in June to activate 2nd 60 days, finally another 30 extension) - so roughly 6 months with one border run @ 90 days and a 1900 baht trip to immi at 60 & 150 days...

So how many days did you get on your new tourist visa, (or have I mis-rad your post ansd it was a different kind of visa?) before you have to report again over the border?

Perhaps I wasn't clear... it's a bog standard double entry tourist visa (60 days, then 30 extension at cm immi in May. Then border run to Mae Sai in June to activate 2nd 60 days, finally another 30 extension) - so roughly 6 months with one border run @ 90 days and a 1900 baht trip to immi at 60 & 150 days...

Without going into a long debate ...it seems that you are abusing the "tourist visa " application.

Thankfully the authorities are clamping down on those who live here on dis ingenuos applications of genuine tourists. Many agencies at the border are refusing such applications and red stamping "too many entries as tourist" ...because of over abuse and prolonged "tourist visas" in some cases people profess to be tourists for 10- 20 years.

Why not apply for a visa that genuinely suits your wishes to live here? How about a marriage visa.....retirement visa etc etc.

Why not apply for a visa that genuinely suits your wish to live here???

No wonder the Thai immigration are fed up with westtern people trying to circumvent the system. Think about your fellow man and the effects that your post has on genuine people here who try to live within the law of this country.

Edited by Raindancer

Why not take quiet trip on train to Nong Khai, train over bridge, nice new us$ for Mr visa man, grab a few others for mini van to Vientiane, 500Bht betwen five, drops you right at hotel. Wander down early to

Visa joint,enjoy the push and shove, lodge your paperwork , go for beer and meal maybe try the night market on the river side, good sleep and back next afternoon to pick up visa, easy done. Only thing they only give you an ED visa with one entry. Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

Without going into a long debate ...it seems that you are abusing the "tourist visa " application.

Thankfully the authorities are clamping down on those who live here on dis ingenuos applications of genuine tourists. Many agencies at the border are refusing such applications and red stamping "too many entries as tourist" ...because of over abuse and prolonged "tourist visas" in some cases people profess to be tourists for 10- 20 years.

Why not apply for a visa that genuinely suits your wishes to live here? How about a marriagae visa.....retirement visa etc etc.

No wonder the Thai immigration are fed up with people trying to circumvent the system. Think about your fellow man and the effects that your post has on genuine people here who try to live within the law of this country.

I wasn't going to respond to such an obvious troll, but how's the weather up there on that very high horse?

In fact I'm also not up for a long debate. I'm happily sitting here with my feet up enjoying a beer and wondering what could possibly lead you to such a conclusion.

Without debating my life story I'm 52, my tg is 43, and we're very comfortable in the position of being one anothers' "significant other". Certainly we're not going to get married just to get a visa (wouldn't that be just as dishonest?)

I also have no intention of retiring and/or going through the hassle of coming out of "retirement" should I ever decide to start a business here, which isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Should I decide to wind up in Africa and make a more permanent move to Thailand, that is precisely what I will do - having first secured a business visa and getting settled in.

So, for the moment I am on a "Tourist" visa. I am not "studying" nor do I have the inclination to pretend to do so. I am not falling for the "If you can speak English you can be an English teacher" routine and going for a TEFL and a bs work permit - most of the "teachers" I've met here are a disgrace to the profession and most certainly ARE abusing the system. Finally I am not, nor do I intend to be on a tourist visa, working here.

So, since you seem to have all the answers as to how I'm abusing my tourist visa, kindly tell me which visa you would like me to get under the above circumstances.

Quite simple... I am not trolling as you put it and I never mentioned "teaching" ( read my post.) But as you are over fifty..you qualify for a retirement visa ....providing you have the funds and or income to support this. There is no need to provide any other evidence other than your income or bank balance/combination of both annually..which is now thankfully under scrutiny for US citizens, who have hitherto been able to "declare" a fictitious income and signed declaration thereto.

Whereas other nationalites have had to provide documentary evidence of annual income, or indeed a combination of income plus savings equating to 800K per annum.. so I do not understand you perception and comment of "coming out of retirement to start a business".

Futhermore ...I made no mention of an "ED" visa

And I certainly do not profess .....nor have i professed to have all the answers...just trying to stay within the remit of genuine applications for westerers who wish to reside here under immigration rules.

You seem uncertain regarding the various options available to you.. Maybe you should visit immigration to ascertain what visa is available to you...instead of posting posts which seem to make you the oracle of "how i avoided the rules of the game", by applying for a non legal tourist visa under the rules of tourism that requier a visa.

But there are many like you who circumvent the system for their own ends because they do not qualify under normal immigration rules of living here. So there is no "high horse"up here in the North...just a wish to respect the people and the regulations that they have laid down for westerners to live here. It is called respect and common courtesy for a nation that has allowed me to reside here.

Edited by Raindancer

it's all very nice and interesting - especially your verbal fighting's!!!!! my visa trip from BKK to Vientiane and back is all inclusive not more than 6/7.000 baht! using the lao mafia in front of the thai consulat in Vientiane is more than stupid! Cheers!

it's all very nice and interesting - especially your verbal fighting's!!!!! my visa trip from BKK to Vientiane and back is all inclusive not more than 6/7.000 baht! using the lao mafia in front of the thai consulat in Vientiane is more than stupid! Cheers!

This is not a verbal fight. Just some facts..... it brings to attention those who use/ abuse this system, because they wish to circumvent the rules as opposed to those of us who abide by the law of the land and thereby make others feel uncomfortable by highlighting the actions of those who wish to find another way to try and beat the system.

I took a sleeper train to Laos, 700b and i slept well, 50b to get across the bridge and 100b to embassy then a further 100b to hotel (700 a night / wifi) .

what a waste of money ... 25,000 for laos? 450 vip mini bus for a bridge? what the fuc_k ... no wonder they rip off stupid tourists.

25,000 is a good holiday weekend in Japan ...

Edited by Bingo66

"which is now thankfully under scrutiny for US citizens, who have hitherto been able to "declare" a fictitious income and signed declaration thereto."

Raindancer,

What information do you have to support this claim? Myself and others have seen no changes in the procedures to obtain a U.S. Embassy letter in several years.

I use and agent from BKK and it only costs me all inclusive 6300 including entry into Laos, Non-o Visa, food and hotel as well as all transport....Been to Vientiene for the past 5 years....will do somewhere else next time for a change i think

Can't be bothered quoting everybody so here's the messy version...

@Raindancer - If you wish to rail against people "abusing" anything, especially those working illegally and/or staying on long periods of overstay, I'm right behind you. But since you directed an attack at me specifically ('it seems that you are abusing the "tourist visa " application'), I'm not letting you get off the hook by deflecting the question so I'll ask again. Exactly what is it that I am abusing, OR suggesting others abuse, OR that makes me not a tourist in my current circumstances? I'd love it if you could make me understand why a handful of people, apparently yourself included, are so utterly unable to grasp the concept of anyone being in a position to genuinely be a "tourist" for more than a few days, weeks or even months - and further be under the impression that such a person availing themselves of a perfectly legal option, is abusing the system?

@rogerman, johnmtjames and the other Bangkokians... Yeah, you guys have more options for visa runs than up here in CM. I'd actually quite like to try that train ride. But this particular trip wasn't about the budget.

@ those horrified at the price - Don't forget I had company, this trip was 2 pax - so obviously double the cost of many parts (flights, transport, food & drink). Take my gf and the visa agent out of the equation and you'd be down to 10k-ish baht, even flying to ut.

@Bingo66 No train from CM - it's drive fly or bus - <deleted> where'd you get "450 baht minibus for the bridge" from?? From Airport to bridge was 200baht, it was 20baht to cross the bridge, then 150baht to town center from the other side - so 370 baht (each) from UT Airport to VTE center mostly in a private minibus.

@fogoyes See above re: bkk to vte vs cnx to vte. Frankly I'm surprised you were the only one to hammer me for using the agent, I'm sure you said what plenty were thinking. wai.gif I have no defence, other than were I in my youth I'd probably be more tolerant of wasting several more hours of my life in queues, rather than wasting several more hours of my life with a good book and a cold Leffe...

Raindancer

You are a bit "petty", more papal as the Pope, we use to say in my country. In every Forum, there are people same you. The Thai Immigration does not care much. the Thai police does not care much, but these Posters care a lot, even when it is completely not their business!

Its the responsibility of the Authorities not yours. Kind of hypocrite Pharisees.

bobl

I was also on a similar trip, but shorter as I stay only 80 km out of Udon Thani city to the east.

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

The -Raindancer- Cowboycowboy.gif is after you.angry.png

Take it easy.coffee1.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

WARNING!!!!

Currently customs are using plain clothes officers on the roads OUTSIDE the Thai border area. They are using customs staff from Khrung Thep at Nong Khai!

I was stopped as I went into 7/11 and had 4 not 2 cartons of cigarettes. The fine is almost 500 THB per pack - not per carton, and they include the 2 duty free cartons that a non resident may bring in. For 2 extra cartons the fine is around THB 18,000. If you cannot pay immediately after they take you to NK City hall then you can have a free night's accomodation in Nong Khai courtesy of the local police.

I must assume that they are getting information from the Laos Duty Free shops. I used the first one on the left from the entrance to the Duty Free Zone. (SUTL).

--------------------------------------------------------------

To return to the normal visa run thread - like many others I chose to get US dollars from my Thai bank. THB 1082 = US$35 so I saved over THB400 by using US$ instead of THB. Don't forget to take US$1 for the stupid "overtime" charge if you go early.

For Non-immigrant "O" visa the Embassy would not issue me with a two-entry or multi-entry visa..

As usual the Embassy staff were courteous and efficient (as were Customs officers !!!). When collecting our passports we were not given queuing tickets, but the security guy politely asked us to form a single file line.

Edited by farangbanok

Why not apply for a visa that genuinely suits your wishes to live here? How about a marriage visa.....retirement visa etc etc.

Raindancer, you are spot-on!! Can you tell me, how I can get a retirement visa quickly? (I am 40, not married, so a marriage visa doesn't apply to me.)

Also, genuine tourists come to this country for only one week, buy their all-inclusive holiday package from the Thai mafia in Beijing, and hardly spend a penny in Thailand itself. No wonder they are favoured by the Thai crooks in LOS's government!

• 1 month later...

farangbanok

Not understand, stopped you at 7/11 where, in Nong Khai?

Why do they not try to stop you at the border-customs controls?

I got pulled over in a taxi and searched for cigarettes about 2 km from the border in Nong Khai, I only had 200 so they apologised and let me go on my way. I was asked for a cigarette by one of the 'taxi drivers' that hang around outside the custom controls.