Uk Budget Not Good News For Pensioners

exeter

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been looking at the Mail (!) and the Telegraph, seems there has been a poll by ICBM which showed that 64% of those interviewed thought the abolishing of the higher age allowance was wrong, it was stronger in the 54-64 age group.

It also appears that Labour's Lady Bakewell is to front an e-petition on the issue, look out for it, sign it if you care enough about it. It will be interesting to see how much support it gets.

I'd gladly give up my pension, provided they pay me back all my NI contribution.

+1

On that subject does anyone out there know exactly how many years contributions have to be complete for a full pension?

I've been told two different stories, one, twenty five tears and two, changed to 15 years to make the time same for women and men , the old equality thing,

Serious question looking for serious answer ( on thaivisa ) ?

It used to be 44 years but now it is 30 years. A friend of mine did 38 years the year before it changed and only receives 85% of the basic pension where another friend the following year had completed just over 30 years and now gets the full amount. Some people were unfortunate and fell in that gap, and according to the Pensions Deprtment "that was just unlucky".

Maybe people That live in Thailand should ask a Thai senior citysen how much they get from there state and what health care they can get on tap, at any hour of the day or night.. also ask about there heating allowance and free bus passes, and all the rest of the freebies, so life is not that bad if you live in the UK.

The Thai state pension is 500bts a month, they should also have to access to the 30 bts hospital scheme at Govt Hospitals, although this may be dependent on having the blue book. Not sure about free local travel or rail concessions must admit.

I have come to this thread late as I've been swanning around the country, I have only speed read the posts but I have not seen any mention of the fact that the age related allowance is subject to a claw-back when you reach a certain level and is lost completely fairly quickly.

Also it's worth pointing out that whilst the basic allowance has been raised the level at which you are liable for the 40% tax rate has been reducing steadily over the years, the allowance has been reduced by £3,030 since 2010/11 and is due to be reduced by a further £1,000 in 2012/13. I know a number of pensioners living in Thailand who are already paying 40% on part of their occupational and state pensions, and I'm not just talking about high flying executives, I'm talking about working class people who have worked hard to ensure a decent pension in retirement.

You can always convert your pension into a lump sum.

http://www.windsorpe...CFQwb6wodwjI-4A

I sure but not too sure, I am not a financial expert but that said I would never take advice again from one, I think this only applies to private pensions and this compamy has just taken over my private pension from Barclays.

The private pension got a hammering in 2008 and I would rather a lump sum from it than a monthly pension but that again is something I have to find out shortly, the letters have started arriving at my UK address as well as from the UK pension service.

dont think that will work with a oap,lol.

I quote from this link "You can postpone claiming your State Pension, known as ‘deferring’, and get a higher pension or a lump sum when you do claim."

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/pensions/state-pension/

I note it uses the word "or" not "and". However I am not an expert on pensions.

this is where it all comes apart. Just having kids doesn't guarantee the system will survive?

Those kids have to be educated and able to work in jobs that are being competed for

around the globe.

Looking at many of the kids today in the UK I don't have much hope of that.

This reminds me of the family I had up north in Sunderland, my wife at the time was one of nine out of the eight others, one sister was supported by her husband, the six left were all having children but none of them had employment, any work that was done was cash in hand, and there kids continue to carry the saga on to this day.

If we don't have kids then the system is bound to fail...........why this is even being discussed is a mystery to me.

As for your second point..........I agree that competition is going to be hot, so we better educate the kids as best we can and give them a chance.

This reminds me of another situation a young lad who had educated himself to degree level, couldn't get a job because he was considered over qualified.

My son did a training course in college as a mechanic he had just turned 17, he couldn't get a job at any local garages because he didn't have a full car driving license. huh.png

it's being discussed because you are wearing rose tinted glasses! Many of them don't even have the right attitude to learn and that could even be the fault of the parents and breakdown of family values in UK.

Bottom line is you seem to think that just having kids will provide the means to generate income to pay the pensions.

A lot of the people won't even be able to support themselves let alone another generation of pensioners.

and a big chunk of them will not only find it had struggle themselves but they will more than likely

be holding their hands out for government support. face facts that the pension Ponzi scheme is over

The pension scheme may be over for some but the social security system steams on eh !.biggrin.png

Maybe people That live in Thailand should ask a Thai senior citysen how much they get from there state and what health care they can get on tap, at any hour of the day or night.. also ask about there heating allowance and free bus passes, and all the rest of the freebies, so life is not that bad if you live in the UK.

And for a UK pensioner who has planned and bought everything and has a little put to one side, living in Thailand is for sure a lot better, maybe not Bangkok and other areas though. smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

senior citizens in los dont have to pay for

council tax, tv licenes excessive elec, water bills,car tax, expensive petrol dearer food bills continually interference by goverment in there welfare,plus high crime rates,and the old potato of immigrants taking there heritage,

• Like 2

I quote from this link "You can postpone claiming your State Pension, known as ‘deferring’, and get a higher pension or a lump sum when you do claim."

http://www.ageuk.org.../state-pension/

not 100% sure but i think that option has been put on the back burner.??

http://www.ageuk.org.../state-pension/

not 100% sure but i think that option has been put on the back burner.??

Well I would think www.ageuk.org. are the people to ask for clarification.

You can still defer drawing your State Pension and get a higher rate or a lump sum, and of course the pension that is in place when you start drawing it, I've just done it.

Of course you need to make some guestimates as to life expectancy as you lose over a hundred quid a week during the deferral period which takes a lot of making up.

• Like 1

"There is to be no difference between working and pensioner allowances eventually, You need to be aware of this, you are going to see a few years of no increases until the equilibrium is reached, this not good news."

They never increase the pension by much anyway so it's not really a problem.

If you live in Thailand they never increase it AT ALL! Mine's been frozen for the last 5 years. I have written to Treasury cabinet members about this discrimination but to no avail.

Indeed there is now a significant threat to the NHS in England. Things will not change overnight, but the contracts about to be let to private firms (both as providers and commissioning support to CCGs) will be hard to undo, even if there is a change of Government. I would guess the health service will look very different in 15 years time. Even Foundation Trust hospitals will be able to run a larger part of their operation (up to 49% of income) for private patients. This has sneaked though without much publicity and will certainly impact on older people. You can see the shape of things to come in Devon where either Serco or Virgin Care looks set to get the contract for childrens services

http://www.healthinv...CookieSupport=1

There is a suspicion here that the large donations to the main political parties from the private health care industry have had an impact - something that links with the breaking story today about cash for influence on policy. I would be surprised if the consolidation of a mixed public/private health care system doesn't lead to a tightening up on access to care for returning expats (who currently tend to get the benefit of the doubt from NHS hospitals). This is drifting slightly off topic, but the changes to the NHS are part of the same policy agenda that is reflected in the budget, and won't help any but the most wealthy expat OAPs.

Edited by citizen33

Who is going to pay the pensions if there are no kids???????

That's a no brainer. There's zillions of people outside the UK doing everything they can to get there. And, they didn't cost the British taxpayer a penny in child benefit. However, they need to stop them bringing in their entire family, including parents, once they get residency.

I'm all for removing child benefit and any form of subsidising children for the non married. Why should any girl get an income just for getting pregnant, while children for adoption are in short supply?

I knew an unmarried girl had a better lifestyle, better car than I, and a house ( I couldn't afford to buy one ), just because she didn't use contraception, while I worked full time for BA.

• Like 1

You need to be aware of this, you are going to see a few years of no increases until the equilibrium is reached, this not good news.

Have you tried complaining to the UK government about this issue? rolleyes.gif

Emailed my MP on thursday and you?

I'm not from the UK, so I'm really not too interested, thank you very much. smile.png

Indeed there is now a significant threat to the NHS in England. Things will not change overnight, but the contracts about to be let to private firms (both as providers and commissioning support to CCGs) will be hard to undo, even if there is a change of Government. I would guess the health service will look very different in 15 years time. Even Foundation Trust hospitals will be able to run a larger part of their operation (up to 49% of income) for private patients. This has sneaked though without much publicity and will certainly impact on older people. You can see the shape of things to come in Devon where either Serco or Virgin Care looks set to get the contract for childrens services

http://www.healthinv...CookieSupport=1

There is a suspicion here that the large donations to the main political parties from the private health care industry have had an impact - something that links with the breaking story today about cash for influence on policy. I would be surprised if the consolidation of a mixed public/private health care system doesn't lead to a tightening up on access to care for returning expats (who currently tend to get the benefit of the doubt from NHS hospitals). This is drifting slightly off topic, but the changes to the NHS are part of the same policy agenda that is reflected in the budget, and won't help any but the most wealthy expat OAPs.

I worked for a "Foundation Trust" hospital in London, and it sickened me how corrupt the consultants were in using NHS nurses to look after their private patients for no extra cost to themselves. The present system is rotten to the core and needs to be thrown out, and a seperate Public and Private system set up. That's how it's done in New Zealand, and allows for much less corruption.

Also, with the present NHS management system, the NHS is a black hole in which most money not spent on wages is wasted on grandiose "schemes" meant to enhance management prestige, but which does little to improve the efficiency of the staff actually doing the work.

• Like 1

Please keep in mind the state pension is one thing, welfare is quite another. Pensioners who receive the standard pension of around £100 a week are almost all entitled to extra payments to bring their income up.

The move to bring in a minimum pension of £140 recognises this - a flat universal payment which gets around having to administer the means testing that is applied to the poorest pensioners in order to give them a living income.

Add this to assistance with housing costs, free bus passes, assistance with heating costs and of course free health care and it really can't be said that the UK's pensioners are badly done by.

Please keep in mind the state pension is one thing, welfare is quite another. Pensioners who receive the standard pension of around £100 a week are almost all entitled to extra payments to bring their income up.

The move to bring in a minimum pension of £140 recognises this - a flat universal payment which gets around having to administer the means testing that is applied to the poorest pensioners in order to give them a living income.

Add this to assistance with housing costs, free bus passes, assistance with heating costs and of course free health care and it really can't be said that the UK's pensioners are badly done by.

Fair enough, but WHY do 60 year olds get all the benefits you mention ( except, as far as I know, housing benefit ) when they're still working ( I agree with free health care for everyone though, except that a small charge should be levied on GP appointments to stop time wasters ), and earning a wage? No wonder the British revenues are in the poo!

Next year in Britain, all pensioners will be on a basic state pension of 140 pounds a week, of course that

does not apply to the pensioners who now live in Thailand, including my self. My Mother who was 90

last January will tell you that she has never been so well off. She has a 2 bed apartment, no rent to pay,

no council tax to pay, and she has a helper who comes to look after her every morning, and she has a

free conversion to her bathroom, ie, a walk in sit down shower, and a higher toilet installed. her weekly

pension consists of 225 pounds per week, and is she happy, after raising 10 kids, and 2 grand kids with

nothing all her life, she is ecstatic, and she will tell you that she cannot understand why the government, give her so much, she lives well, and saves a minimum of 70 pounds every week.

give her

Most pensioners know how to live the right way in Thailand, it does my head in listening to them moaning

and groaning," i cannot get a rise on my pension, i cannot use the NHSS,",do what any sensible person

does, keep an address in Britain, and you will get everything, including the heating allowance, you will

find that you need it next month for your air cons.

Next year in Britain, all pensioners will be on a basic state pension of 140 pounds a week, of course that

does not apply to the pensioners who now live in Thailand, including my self.

It also doesn't apply to all pensioners in Britain, only new pensioners and from a date to be confirmed.

Most pensioners know how to live the right way in Thailand, it does my head in listening to them moaning

and groaning," i cannot get a rise on my pension, i cannot use the NHSS,",do what any sensible person

does, keep an address in Britain, and you will get everything, including the heating allowance, you will

It also "does my head in" when people advise others to break the law and illegally claim benefits by telling lies.

If you are ordinarily resident in the UK you are entitled to all the benefits you have outlined, if you are not then you aren't, whether you keep an address in Britain or not.

I personally don't think many sensible people try to claim benefits to which they are not entitled.

• Like 2

It also "does my head in" when people advise others to break the law and illegally claim benefits by telling lies.

If you are ordinarily resident in the UK you are entitled to all the benefits you have outlined, if you are not then you aren't, whether you keep an address in Britain or not.

I personally don't think many sensible people try to claim benefits to which they are not entitled.

First and foremost - I really get passed off with the hand out, Britain owes me a free ride attitude so prevalent in the UK and amongst more than a few members here.

But the UK LAW (Magna Carta) does not allow the government to refuse a UK Citizen entry to the UK - Shall come and go without let or hindrance is the term.

The UK LAW currently allows any British Citizen who lives in the UK or who is returning to live in the UK to use the services of the NHS.

Owning a home in the UK allows one to return there anytime you wish and take advantage of the benefits the UK offers.

An alternative is, not owning a home in the UK then returning and throwing yourself on the mercy of the welfare system.

Keeping a home in the UK incase you need to return (for whatever reason) is not breaking the law, lying, cheating or being a cad. It is common sense.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the family I had up north in Sunderland, my wife at the time was one of nine out of the eight others, one sister was supported by her husband, the six left were all having children but none of them had employment, any work that was done was cash in hand, and there kids continue to carry the saga on to this day.

One of the best reasons I've ever seen for not upgrading the UK pension for foreigners living in Thailand... Can you imagine if they followed you out here?... :)