Favourite Imported Beer

Mooner

Ohara's Irish Pale Ale.

I had never heard of this beer before, but when it arrived in Bangkok, and I got my first pint, I was gobsmacked - it was almost the exact beer I would seek out, if I had any choice of any beer.

So far, I have only found it served at five places in Bangkok - at the Royal Oak Pub, the Dubliner Pub, the No Idea Pub, at Mulligan's on Soi 11, and at Molly Malone's Pub on Convent.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohara's Irish Pale Ale.

I'll look out for that.

On the subject of Pale Ales, India Pale Ale (often abbreviated to just IPA) was popular in Colonial India as it was said to be especially palatable in a hot climate yet I've never seen any here. I may bring some back with me next time I go to the UK and put that theory to the test.

And you call yourself a Heavy Drinker. Shame on you mister, shame on you. There is always place for a Guinness.

Middle age kicking in I'm afraid....

Just about anything that is brewed by an enthusiastic brewer in a proper brewery (decent lagers included, given that we live in a hot climate), rather than manufactured in a factory by 'operators' directed by accountants and corporate chemical engineering graduates.

[TV CAMRA member]

Santi....arrange an afternoon flight out of Danang airport in Vietnam. Get there early and enjoy the real ales...

post-78923-0-65711000-1332437509_thumb.j

Just about anything that is brewed by an enthusiastic brewer in a proper brewery (decent lagers included, given that we live in a hot climate), rather than manufactured in a factory by 'operators' directed by accountants and corporate chemical engineering graduates.

[TV CAMRA member]

Santi....arrange an afternoon flight out of Danang airport in Vietnam. Get there early and enjoy the real ales...

post-78923-0-65711000-1332437509_thumb.j

quite a display but I betcha they don't even got a boddle of Bier Hanoi...they only got the 333 horse piss at the Vinh and Dong Hoi airports...

horse piss? I believe that smokie's takin' the piss...

quite a display but I betcha they don't even got a boddle of Bier Hanoi...they only got the 333 horse piss at the Vinh and Dong Hoi airports...

horse piss? I believe that smokie's takin' the piss...

Not sampled them. Twas 8am when I passed through but the coffee was excellent and there is a well concealed smoking room right next door.

All the moons appear to be pointing towards a long delayed flight...

There is a good thing about belgium - I never thought I would say such a thing.

There is a good thing about monks - I never thought I would say such a thing.

There is a good thing about belgian monks - trappists - they brew real beer.

There is a good thing about me flying to belgium next sunday - actually six good things: westmalle / vleteren / orval / rochefort / chimay / kriek

There is a good thing about me coming back to chanthaburi: durian

Chimay 80/...malty heaven...mmmmm......

le trap triple...

or youngs double chocolate.

or hobgoblin

Edited by necronx99

• 3 weeks later...
Ohara's Irish Pale Ale.

I'll look out for that.

On the subject of Pale Ales, India Pale Ale (often abbreviated to just IPA) was popular in Colonial India as it was said to be especially palatable in a hot climate yet I've never seen any here. I may bring some back with me next time I go to the UK and put that theory to the test.

And you call yourself a Heavy Drinker. Shame on you mister, shame on you. There is always place for a Guinness.

Middle age kicking in I'm afraid....

One hates to contradict a fellow poster Mr Drinker, but I thought the point with IPA was that though it was brewed to withstand the voyage to India it never actually got out of the country.

Having said that, in the UK I like to drink it because it's (generally) lower alcoholic content does less damage to my constitution the next day.

One exception is the Fullers which I think is 5%, but bloody good all the same.

And my answer would be Caledonian IPA, although I did not come to Thailand to drink overpriced imported ale. I'm quite happy with the local gear. But each to our own.

To all the Brits. Pedigree or Tetleys?

To all the Brits. Pedigree or Tetleys?

I ain't a brit but I know real ales after 10 years residence and Tetley's is some of the worst shit I've ever had...it even tastes the same in Leeds and there's no excuse...

Marston's Pedigree is a favorite when in the east midlands...but it doesn't travel well and if the pub landlord doesn't keep a good cellar temperature and clean pipes then it can get really stinky...of all the Burton-on-Trent ales Bass is the best all around...tastes the same wherever ye go...a nice pint at the 16th century Dolphin pub in Derby next to the cathedral...'yo! tutsi!...'...'hey, niggah! whatchoo doin'?...yeah!...'

Ind Coope Burton Ale is one of the best but usually only available locally, near Derby and etc...best served poured out of a big pitcher rather than hand pump...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

There is a good thing about me flying to belgium next sunday - actually six good things: westmalle / vleteren / orval / rochefort / chimay / kriek

le trap triple...

or hobgoblin

Chimay is love in a bottle. And so is La Chouffe!

la-chouffe.png?w=500

Hooray for Belgian BEER GNOMES FTW! thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Well, if we're moving onto bottled beers then Tripel Karmeliet has to be one of the best, and starting to be available in a few places in Bangkok. La Choufe also very nice though, and Kwak, especially if you get it in the proper Kwak glass.

On tap: Asahi

thumbsup.gif

Asahi on tap is cheap. But I feel that same LEO headache in the morning...

That maybe is because Asahi is brewed by Boonrawd Brewery. Same as Leo:D

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Really, so i have found the culprit. Or not.. www.boonrawd.co.th/ They also seam to brew good quality Singha.

Do have a reference? I want to know why this gives me a headache. Leo and Asahi must have a different formula then Singha. Thanks

At last, as a Scot who has been moved here by work for the next few years, as opposed to chosen Thailand over any other country to live out my years, and as someone who has taken their Russian fiancee with them, as I would be the first to admit I have never really seen the fascination of any member of the opposite sex from this part of the world, a topic I can actually post in!!!!

Kilkenny.

I have spent the last 14 years of my travelling life tracking the places where one can purchase a pint of, or a can of, this fine Irish ale.

Obviously there are a few expat bars in BKK that carry it. The 2 I have frequented so far being the Robin Hood and The Dubliner (pretty much gives away where my temp accommodation is!!) but I have a question of this esteemed bored......

Has anyone seen cans for sale anywhere?

I am starting to think that theu simply don't exist and, as a result, will be relelgated to pleading with some bar manager to allow me to purchase a keg off him every so often to allow me to continue to enjoy said alcoholic beverage in the comfort of my home home....

le trap triple...

or hobgoblin

Chimay is love in a bottle. And so is La Chouffe!

la-chouffe.png?w=500

Hooray for Belgian BEER GNOMES FTW! thumbsup.gif

Don't forget the ones like Palm, Duvel, Judas, Hoegaarden ( now Dentergemse witte in Belgium I think )

Like to drink them at Thong Lo burp.gif