Racism Against Farangs

aneliane

Now it's official! Australia caused the Second World War!

Yes, a little known fact! All part of the ground-breaking nature of ThaiVisa.! Move over Wikipedia!

You probably think I am silly suggesting that Australia's racist attitude was one of the causes of WWII. It was. Japan was also a racist country thinking that Korea and Taiwan were inferior races not ready for independence. They wanted the League of Nations to treat Japan like a big boy and allow it to get colonies like the Western countries; Korea and Taiwan and parts of China. Australia's racist attitude was instrumental in excluding Japan from acting like a colonial power and however you look at it was one of the causes of WWII. One of the reasons that the Thais fought on the side of Japan during WWII was their racist attitude against the Chinese. The Thai PM at the time refused to fight with the Chinese because he considered them an inferior race to the Thais and Japanese.

What comes out of all this is people change especially Thais. At one time the Chinese were discriminated against in Thailand by law and practice and now it is not the case.

Edited by metisdead
Font

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a little known fact! All part of the ground-breaking nature of ThaiVisa.! Move over Wikipedia!

You probably think I am silly suggesting that Australia's racist attitude was one of the causes of WWII. It was. Japan was also a racist country thinking that Korea and Taiwan were inferior races not ready for independence. They wanted the League of Nations to treat Japan like a big boy and allow it to get colonies like the Western countries; Korea and Taiwan and parts of China. Australia's racist attitude was instrumental in excluding Japan from acting like a colonial power and however you look at it was one of the causes of WWII. One of the reasons that the Thais fought on the side of Japan during WWII was their racist attitude against the Chinese. The Thai PM at the time refused to fight with the Chinese because he considered them an inferior race to the Thais and Japanese.

What comes out of all this is people change especially Thais. At one time the Chinese were discriminated against in Thailand by law and practice and now it is not the case.

I wouldn't quite agree that Thais fought alongside Japs. They didn't have a choice....lol. The Thai army, like today was so pathetic that it would of been stupid to resist. Your other reasons for why might happen to also be correct but really Thailand wouldn't of had a choice anyway. The Japs wanted British India and Singapore. Thailand was the only way through and the Japs wouldn't of been stopped anyway.

As for the Aussie racist thing....havent got a clue...lol

As for the Chinese, well thank heaven this is not the case now because Thailand needs the Chinese Thai people, they are the only ones with any sort of business brain.

Edited by rinteln

I wouldn't quite agree that Thais fought alongside Japs. They didn't have a choice....lol. The Thai army, like today was so pathetic that it would of been stupid to resist. Your other reasons for why might happen to also be correct but really Thailand wouldn't of had a choice anyway. The Japs wanted British India and Singapore. Thailand was the only way through and the Japs wouldn't of been stopped anyway.

As for the Aussie racist thing....havent got a clue...lol

As for the Chinese, well thank heaven this is not the case now because Thailand needs the Chinese Thai people, they are the only ones with any sort of business brain.

The Thais invaded Burma with the support of the Japanese. In accordance with the Thai military alliance with Japan that was signed on 21 December 1941, the leading elements of the Thai Phayap Army crossed the border into the Shan States on 10 May 1942.

The Thais also won the French Thai war (see Victory Monument in Bangkok) with the help of the Japanese the year before WW II started with a 50,000 man Thai well equipped army and air force that could have stopped the Japanese for quite a long period of time giving Singapore a chance to ready themselves for invasion. The Japanese force that attacked Singapore was the same size as the Thai army that could have opposed them. Thailand could have well changed the fate of the thousands of Brits, Aussies and Americans who died in Thailand's Japanese controlled prisoner of war death camps.

As far as Aussie history; it is readily available, “Prime Minister Edmund Barton: "The doctrine of the equality of man was never intended to apply to the equality of the Englishman and the Chinaman."

Attorney-General, Alfred Deakin: Unity of race is an absolute essential to the unity of Australia.

Billy Hughes: "Our chief plank, is of course, a White Australia. There’s no compromise about that. The industrious coloured brother has to go - and remain away! - Billy Hughes, Labor party.

Racist policies from all sides have dramatically effected Thailand for many years.

Edited by metisdead
Size 18 font removed, again!!!!

The first step is to refuse to be called, and referred to as a "farang".

The more we encourage them to call us "farang", the more distant and objectified we become.

We could at least try to encourage them to start to notice our different nationalities, it will be one step closer to make them realize we are people too.

Personally, I do not like the word "farang" at all.

Agree

I don't like it either when on a tuck tuck a driver speaks openly about me, how is going to make a pass at me (which he did afterwards) and how he's ripping me off blind, (told the price he charged me) to a motorcycle driver as if we could not understand anything or were not here.

I don't like it when motorcycle drivers just put their helmet before you talk to them to tell them where you want to go and make you repeat 15 times "sam sip jet" 37

Ok my accent is crap but the nicer one next to him has got it straight away and tells him in good thai "soi samsip jet";

Yet he still wants apparently to give me a a free Thai lesson on pronunciation, pretends not to understand, and makes me repeat over and over "Sâaaam Sip Djeeeet"

Obviously you arrived on a "let's have fun with the Farang " moment and if you are fed up with this crap / are late / tired/ hot & thirsty and just want to go home and ask the other nicer guy to get a ride, you become not only the horrible person dishonor Thai language, but also a motorcycle taxi organization vandal - they have a queue system-

So the first guy loses faces (he wish he could have humiliate the Farang much longer) and he gestures to overcharge me (two finger-20bahts instead of 15) which obviously is nothing, but it still feel like you can never get it right, and feel frustrated.

Ok I have not been burned, raped, or killed in an horrible manner, but it's never nice.

But as Dr Regine said it is probably only racial paranoia!

smile.png

The words are tuk tuk and sahm sib jed. Maybe they might understand you now, but however you pronouce it they will most likely struggle to understand you due to rather a large percentage of tuk tuk, motorbike taxi and taxi drivers drinking whiskey every waking hour. I worked this one out when trying to communicate with a constantly pissed ex-employee over a beer who couldn't understand what his gig was saying either.

The amount of motorbike taxi drivers you'll see lying in the road is a clue to how pissed they are, that and the empty bottles under their station or if they've bothered to put some effort into hiding it on the floor thrown around the corner.

Yep they will speak openly about you, act cocky and rip you off, try it on with you etc, this maybe racism or it maybe that they are a group of pissed up men in a country where sexual equality is almost non-existant amongst the lower educated men, amongst others.

When they get a Farang woman coming to them for a taxi, pissed up guys with attitudes like this are going to act the lad in front their mates and no they don't see anything wrong with it so when you turn them down they will probably think snooty cow let's rip her off. They will think a Thai woman who turns them down is a snooty cow as well.

I've had to rescue a couple of lone farang girls sitting waiting for the coach when it used to stop here from the pissed up bus and coach drivers creeping over them showing their mates what a stud they are. I've also had to go and rescue a Japanese girl. I may have had to do the same for a well dressed Thai friend of my wifes getting the same treatment waiting for us to return, but she was/ is quite capable of putting them in their place themselves. So is it racism or is it just pissed up guys acting the lad in front of their mates trying to show I can pull the rich woman ?

The queuing system exists so they all get a fair turn of work, but everyone should have a right to say no if they don't want to go with one of them, but of course don't be surprised if they get offended.

The ripping off could be due to you being a farang, but I know from many experiences they will also try to rip off well dressed, well spoken Thais as well who they think don't use cheap transport much either -tuk tuks, motorbike taxis.

Edited by arthurwait

I'm sorry, Aneliane, but the more you write the more you sound a bit paranoid...

If I experience people who appear even a bit obnoxious then I just smile and ignore them. When I run into a tuk tuk driver, or motorcycle taxi trying to charge me more than the going rate, or act like they don't know what I mean then I just laugh and ignore them. A case in point...

I always stay at the same guest cottage in Kanchanaburi every time I visit that city. It is one kilometer from the bus depot to the guest cottage and an easy walk even if carrying a bag.. In years past I always took one of the 3 wheel bicycle taxis for no other reason than to help them out. It's a simple 20 baht ride and I usually gave them a10 baht tip. It's 40 baht on a motorcycle. However, this year one of them thought I was a naive tourist and tried to scam me into paying 80 baht. I told him with hand signals to stick it where the sun don't shine and I easily walked to my destination. They just lost a long term customer.

Yes you are right and in most cases this is what I do too, obviously. If someone overcharges me, I walk away.

But sometimes you just don't have the choice.

The tuck tuck guy, I got him at 9pm, I had loads to carry on my hands and I told him I had 2 dogs to take with me.

He agreed but then changed his mind when he saw the dogs BECAUSE he understood that I had no other choice than him.

2 unwillling dogs who are scared of vehicules, without leashes (forgot them), plus a load on my hands how was I going to find anyone .

(the pet taxi had let me down at the last minute and regular taxis would refuse me)

please remind me how this is racist again?

I previously explained that the tuck tuck driver stopped and talked to a motorcycle in traffic and explain that he was having a farang as customer but only because he overcharged me & would make a pass at me (which he did later on)

read my previous post

You've said before your Thai is limited and you've demonstrated it as well, so how do you know what he was saying ?

Hi

I have been living here few years …..and reading the post…I am amazed to what extent some people would go just to be he here ,some would even stay illegal.

To me this Sound UBSURD

What is it that people like so much?

Thais are friendly but I Don’t find them Super friendly unless there is some money incentive regarding any kind of relation with a foreigner.

Is it the ugly ladies from Irsan that they can meet in bars in Pattaya…Phuket or …Samui.?.

Because really for at least 80% of the girls you meet in those places hmmm…Beauty is a thing of the past and mostly have 2-3 kids to support and too lazy to get up at 7am and do a day’s work…..so their agenda regarding Farangs is completely different then yours.

Food is nice , tasty and cheap I agree.

But even beer with the current exchange rate is almost the same as you would pay in UK or in any euro country……apart that Don’t smile much…..but they also Don’t aspect tip…hehehehe…..

Anyway is just an opinion…….

The more we encourage them to call us "farang", the more distant and objectified we become.

We could at least try to encourage them to start to notice our different nationalities, it will be one step closer to make them realize we are people too.

Agree

I don't like it either when on a tuck tuck a driver speaks openly about me, how is going to make a pass at me (which he did afterwards) and how he's ripping me off blind, (told the price he charged me) to a motorcycle driver as if we could not understand anything or were not here.

I don't like it when motorcycle drivers just put their helmet before you talk to them to tell them where you want to go and make you repeat 15 times "sam sip jet" 37

Ok my accent is crap but the nicer one next to him has got it straight away and tells him in good thai "soi samsip jet";

Yet he still wants apparently to give me a a free Thai lesson on pronunciation, pretends not to understand, and makes me repeat over and over "Sâaaam Sip Djeeeet"

Obviously you arrived on a "let's have fun with the Farang " moment and if you are fed up with this crap / are late / tired/ hot & thirsty and just want to go home and ask the other nicer guy to get a ride, you become not only the horrible person dishonor Thai language, but also a motorcycle taxi organization vandal - they have a queue system-

So the first guy loses faces (he wish he could have humiliate the Farang much longer) and he gestures to overcharge me (two finger-20bahts instead of 15) which obviously is nothing, but it still feel like you can never get it right, and feel frustrated.

Ok I have not been burned, raped, or killed in an horrible manner, but it's never nice.

smile.png

Where do you people come from <deleted>? I am english and if i see a white foriegner in the street and i want to point him out to my wife.I would say "see the falang over there"? does that make me racist???

If you were in your home country and you saw a group of people that looked asian but didnt know which country they were from you would call them asian's.

I think the people that go on about the word falang/farang implying that its racist do not speak thai and are probably paranoid everytime they hear the word because they dont understand what comes after it.

Agree

smile.png

Where do you people come from <deleted>? I am english and if i see a white foriegner in the street and i want to point him out to my wife.I would say "see the falang over there"? does that make me racist???

If you were in your home country and you saw a group of people that looked asian but didnt know which country they were from you would call them asian's.

I think the people that go on about the word falang/farang implying that its racist 1.do not speak thai and are probably paranoid everytime they hear the word because they dont understand what comes after it.

• Like 1

@ OP,The thai people wont serve you in shops,you get asked to leave the bus and turned away at the hospital ??? forgive me if im wrong but do you look like olive oil from the popeye cartoon? do you have big scary eyes or maybe you have sheep teeth?

@ OP,The thai people wont serve you in shops,you get asked to leave the bus and turned away at the hospital ??? forgive me if im wrong but do you look like olive oil from the popeye cartoon? do you have big scary eyes or maybe you have sheep teeth?

Ordinarily, expecting a response from an OP this far into a thread would be pointless but seeing as aneliane's probably got more "farang" male attention in this epic than she's had in the years she's lived here, expect her to milk it for all it's worth.

Hi

I have been living here few years …..and reading the post…I am amazed to what extent some people would go just to be he here ,some would even stay illegal.

To me this Sound UBSURD

Thais are friendly but I Don’t find them Super friendly unless there is some money incentive regarding any kind of relation with a foreigner.

Is it the ugly ladies from Irsan that they can meet in bars in Pattaya…Phuket or …Samui.?.

Because really for at least 80% of the girls you meet in those places hmmm…Beauty is a thing of the past and mostly have 2-3 kids to support and too lazy to get up at 7am and do a day’s work…..so their agenda regarding Farangs is completely different then yours.

But even beer with the current exchange rate is almost the same as you would pay in UK or in any euro country……apart that Don’t smile much…..but they also Don’t aspect tip…hehehehe…..

Yeah an opinion that, even if it was asked for, has <deleted> all to do with the topic of the thread.

• Like 1

Sorry folks, but this thread has brought out the worst of TV. Embarrassing really.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The best is yet to come !!

What i dislike more is the plain hypocrisy of some of my fellow white people..

For centuries we have enslaved the Africans and exploited them, in America we have exterminated the native population, not to talk about Australia.

In our History books we are taught the myth of the superior race, while in China they had an established empire since 5000 yrs at least....And i could go on.

Then suddenly we discover political correctness, and we complain if the rest of the world is not quick enough to follow.

IMHO some foreigners in Thailand are treated better than they deserve.

End of the rant ( for now )coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Sorry folks, but this thread has brought out the worst of TV. Embarrassing really.

For centuries we have enslaved the Africans and exploited them, in America we have exterminated the native population, not to talk about Australia.

In our History books we are taught the myth of the superior race, while in China they had an established empire since 5000 yrs at least....And i could go on.

Then suddenly we discover political correctness, and we complain if the rest of the world is not quick enough to follow.

Well said. However I would like to think that just because wrongs have been done in the past that doesn't mean people shouldn't moan or offer criticism. After all no one on this forum is guilty of anything you mentioned above, should we not pass comment or debate because of our history !! For example why am I a hypocrite directly because of my country's past. Are you saying for example British people should carry the burden of their empire past when commenting on anything and thus shouldn't. You are dead right on the principle just struggling to see why an individual would be guilty of it.

So are you saying people shouldn't moan at all because of our past or are you saying that if people do moan then it doesnt hold any merit because of our past ? Really interested in an answer to that.

Plus your comment sort of tells me that you might be aware racism does go on and I assume you don't approve of it. We come from countries that have/are setting standards widely regarded as benchmarks. Thats just fact. So a set of people that come from those countries offering criticism cant be a bad thing for any developing country.

In reference to "some foreigners in Thailand are treated better than they deserve". Do you mean by Thai people or the state ? Just interested.

Thanks

Edited by rinteln

snapback.pngfredtitmus, on Yesterday, 18:57 , said:

Ordinarily, expecting a response from an OP this far into a thread would be pointless but seeing as aneliane's probably got more "farang" male attention in this epic than she's had in the years she's lived here, expect her to milk it for all it's worth.

To be honest hardened i dont really want a response,infact there's something that just doesnt seem right about this thread.

I havnt seen the op's earlier thread's but do you ever get the feeling people are not who they say they are? Im probably totally wrong but would it be ridiculous to say one person is controling two people on here.maybe to stir up some controversy and keep people logging in.

But if she is who she says she is,does this lady date thai men/women or has she ever had a thai partner? has this been reveiled cos i have missed it if it has.

• Like 1

Well said. However I would like to think that just because wrongs have been done in the past that doesn't mean people shouldn't moan or offer criticism. After all no one on this forum is guilty of anything you mentioned above, should we not pass comment or debate because of our history !! For example why am I a hypocrite directly because of my country's past. Are you saying for example British people should carry the burden of their empire past when commenting on anything and thus shouldn't. You are dead right on the principle just struggling to see why an individual would be guilty of it.

So are you saying people shouldn't moan at all because of our past or are you saying that if people do moan then it doesnt hold any merit because of our past ? Really interested in an answer to that.

Plus your comment sort of tells me that you might be aware racism does go on and I assume you don't approve of it. We come from countries that have/are setting standards widely regarded as benchmarks. Thats just fact. So a set of people that come from those countries offering criticism cant be a bad thing for any developing country.

In reference to "some foreigners in Thailand are treated better than they deserve". Do you mean by Thai people or the state ? Just interested.

Thanks

Well , let me say first that i like your reply, and although i am not fully proficient in English, i want to clarify.

Starting from the last question, of course i was meaning the people, everybody know that we have no rights here.coffee1.gif

For the rest of your question, i will give you a broad answer, otherwise it may take hours..

For various reasons, the so-called white race has dominated the world, fairly or not for the last few centuries..

Now, given that, i am expecting more tolerance and fairness from my side, not only economical and military power.

Also, given that our education is supposedly better, i expect "farangs " to be more understanding and open-minded about other cultures and people.wai.gif

• Like 1

Thanks

Well , let me say first that i like your reply, and although i am not fully proficient in English, i want to clarify.

Starting from the last question, of course i was meaning the people, everybody know that we have no rights here.coffee1.gif

For the rest of your question, i will give you a broad answer, otherwise it may take hours..

For various reasons, the so-called white race has dominated the world, fairly or not for the last few centuries..

Now, given that, i am expecting more tolerance and fairness from my side, not only economical and military power.

Also, given that our education is supposedly better, i expect "farangs " to be more understanding and open-minded about other cultures and people.wai.gif

That's fair.

Dont ya all forget the Thai language is a very limited language with at the most 3000 words, (from a google search that referred me to a thaivisa thread )

Where as there are about 1000000 words in the English language.

eh?

Dont ya all forget the Thai language is a very limited language with at the most 3000 words, (from a google search that referred me to a thaivisa thread )

Sources ?

That does seem a bit weird. I would probably guess their language isn't as in depth as ours but surely not that low ? What is the source ?

It is with much sorrow that I have to report a grave incidence of blatant racism in this wonderful country.

I recently purchased a new vehicle and was dismayed to discover that every single English Language FM radio station , of which at the last count there were no less than 5, were impossible to listen to.

Either the general sound quality is appalling, or, as I drive around my beloved Pattaya city, the reception wavers, disappears, and then returns again, only to disappear once more just when I am getting into the latest offering from lady Ga-Ga.

Yet, imagine my horror when I accidentally moved my tuning dial from 105 FM to 105.5 FM and lo and behold, the sounds of beautifully modulated, crystal clear music burst into my driver’s cab, without so much as a squawk or a scratch. The trouble was that this incredibly strong and perfect FM signal was broadcasting Thai music! Aggghhh!!!

‘That’s strange,’ says I, ‘how come this Thai station has good reception, and all my English language stations have rubbish reception?’

But - horror upon horror - much worse was to come.

On a whim, I decided to put my FM tuner into ‘auto search’ mode, and believe it or not, Ladies and Gentlemen of Thai Visa, can you believe that the tuner stopped at no less than a dozen Thai music stations, all with the most amazing reception I have experienced since I was a babe in arms and my Mummy piped ‘The Teddy Bears Picnic’ into my nursery cot at 2 million decibels.

The awful realisation suddenly dawned on me that this was insidious racism of the worst possible kind. What manner of monster would inflict such racist actions upon an unsuspecting, Fortuner-speeding, farang -driving audience, by deliberately ruining their western music listening pleasure, and effectively forcing them to listen to Thai music?

I strongly suspect a conspiracy between the snivelling, racist civil servant who is responsible for allocating the air waves, and the racist manufacturers of car radios to ensure that all western music is completely ‘unlistenable-to’, and that all Thai music rings out over the ether, in all its clear and melodious glory.

What say you, dear readers? Do I have a case of unspeakable racism to put before the Thai Human Rights Watch Society?

Edited by Mobi
  • Like 2

Hi

To me this Sound UBSURD

If you're not trolling,

The young pretty gold diggers/fill in the blank/ 'models' you're looking for are in the expensive Thai bars looking to land, get inpregnanted by, backmail or be mea noi to a rich Thai man. They're not interested in a farang living off a pension, english teacher or holiday maker who may send them some money.

They're the ones in expensive cough, cough places or bars/clubs like hollywood where the locals pay 100baht to put a sticker on them where they will get 50 stickers in a five/ten minute walk down the stage.

If you want to know Thais that aren't after your money don't hang around in places where you will meet people like that.

Edited due to some things not to be mentioned.

Edited by arthurwait

It is with much sorrow that I have to report a grave incidence of blatant racism in this wonderful country.

I recently purchased a new vehicle and was dismayed to discover that every single English Language FM radio station , of which at the last count there were no less than 5, were impossible to listen to.

Either the general sound quality is appalling, or, as I drive around my beloved Pattaya city, the reception wavers, disappears, and then returns again, only to disappear once more just when I am getting into the latest offering from lady Ga-Ga.

Yet, imagine my horror when I accidentally moved my tuning dial from 105 FM to 105.5 FM and lo and behold, the sounds of beautifully modulated, crystal clear music burst into my driver’s cab, without so much as a squawk or a scratch. The trouble was that this incredibly strong and perfect FM signal was broadcasting Thai music! Aggghhh!!!

‘That’s strange,’ says I, ‘how come this Thai station has good reception, and all my English language stations have rubbish reception?’

On a whim, I decided to put my FM tuner into ‘auto search’ mode, and believe it or not, Ladies and Gentlemen of Thai Visa, can you believe that the tuner stopped at no less than a dozen Thai music stations, all with the most amazing reception I have experienced since I was a babe in arms and my Mummy piped ‘The Teddy Bears Picnic’ into my nursery cot at 2 million decibels.

The awful realisation suddenly dawned on me that this was insidious racism of the worst possible kind. What manner of monster would inflict such racist actions upon an unsuspecting, Fortuner-speeding, farang -driving audience, by deliberately ruining their western music listening pleasure, and effectively forcing them to listen to Thai music?

I strongly suspect a conspiracy between the snivelling, racist civil servant who is responsible for allocating the air waves, and the racist manufacturers of car radios to ensure that all western music is completely ‘unlistenable-to’, and that all Thai music rings out over the ether, in all its clear and melodious glory.

What say you, dear readers? Do I have a case of unspeakable racism to put before the Thai Human Rights Watch Society?

You look over this thread and you will see I, with much resistance claim there is racism in this country but I have to say I cant agree that your story is any sort of racism.

That's awful.

Lady Gaga. :o

You look over this thread and you will see I, with much resistance claim there is racism in this country but I have to say I cant agree that your story is any sort of racism.

<deleted> do we have to explain every piece of irony to FOREIGNERS like you?