Thai Female To England - Visitor Visa - Chances?

Not far at all, a few weeks?

If I apply for a visitor visa this week and it is approved, how does it work then? Do we get 6 months from date of approval?

It's going to be too tight I think to get married and get a settlement visa before she has the baby as processing times seem to be 3 months and I wouldn't be too confident of success considering the little time we've known each other. One step at a time, if I can get this visitor visa sorted I'll be happy.

If that's your only concern then you really should consider the fiancé visa.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did some quick research and the answer is yes.

Even when married, you have to convince UK immigration that it's not a marriage of convenience before they will issue a Spouse/Marriage Visa. Often referred to as a settlement visa, most applicants for settlement must also show that they have a knowledge of language and life in the UK.

Multiple Visitor Visas and a recored of your partner returning to Thailand each time will work in your partner's favour when applying for a settlement Visa.

There are no short-cuts I'm afraid.

We have just been refused a settlement visa and submitted again this week. My wife and I have been together everyday since we met in February 2011, first in Thailand for 6 months and then 6 months in the UK when she was granted a visit visa.

You need eveidence that your relationship is subsisting and genuine. We had about 165 photos of us, my family, her family, my friends, her friends, her family home, my family home.

2 month relationship and pregnant may ring alarm bells with the ECO, you will need to present a very good case for a visit visa or settlement!

You've only known each other for two months? ohmy.png Or been in a relationship for two months?

Were you only holiday in Thailand for the whole of that time? Where did you meet? What did she do? etc etc etc

If she comes to the UK on any type of settlement visa she is allowed free NHS treatment.

My advice would be - get back over to Thailand asap for another visit. Apply for a fiancee visa and get her to the UK (that's if you want to get married? )

Not strictly "by the rules" but she could come to the UK and have the baby.

RAZZ

She would have no recourse to public funds on a holiday Visa. also she would have to have chest ex rays and would have to declaim that she is pregnant, if you where going to apply for a settlement Visa. Then there is the little mater of life in the UK test. I think they would turn you down on the length of time of your relationship, but good luck for you.

Back in the UK today after spending 2 months together. Is that good or bad?

What sort of reasons would they accept? Will it help if we buy a return ticket?

What sort of reasons would they accept?

The simple answer is the truth!

If you go off inventing stuff, usually they find this out as part of the discovery process in applying for the Visa.

Then, if your gf has found to 'economical' with the truth, it might make difficult for subsequent Visa applications.

RAZZELL ... what sort of advice is that! rolleyes.gif

After knowing a gf for 2 months, I'd still be thinking about bring her a family dinner and not thinking about ‘marrying her and a kid and unhappily ever after’.

Practical advice!

His gf is up the duff!

RAZZ

I actually think Razz might have the right idea, it just doesn't look like I'm likely to be successful at this stage even if I do go for the fiance / marriage route. I could end up going to thailand, marrying her with the hope of bringing her back here to have the baby only for it to be rejected and then I really don't know where that would leave us... definitely not with enough time to appeal before she has the baby.

Not quite as convinced by the visitor visa though now... bringing her over here for a month when she's 4 months pregnant then sending her back off to thailand doesn't seem right.

Edited by randymarsh

I actually think Razz might have the right idea, it just doesn't look like I'm likely to be successful at this stage even if I do go for the fiance / marriage route. I could end up going to thailand, marrying her with the hope of bringing her back here to have the baby only for it to be rejected and then I really don't know where that would leave us... definitely not with enough time to appeal before she has the baby.

Not quite as convinced by the visitor visa though now... bringing her over here for a month when she's 4 months pregnant then sending her back off to thailand doesn't seem right.

If you apply for a fiancee visa you have 6 months to decide if you want to get married (she can also have the baby on the NHS). It wouldn't be unheard of for people to meet and get engaged quickly but you have to convince the ECO...

Might be a bit of a risk...but it seems you're a risk taker already wink.png

All the best thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

Did you contact that Visa Agency (details sent by PM)? There are thousands of Thai women happily settled in the UK with their partners.

Don't believe all you read on this website.

spamsign.gif

90+% of all Visit Visas are approved.

Don't believe the scaremongers who want your money.

RAZZ

If you apply for a fiancee visa you have 6 months to decide if you want to get married (she can also have the baby on the NHS). It wouldn't be unheard of for people to meet and get engaged quickly but you have to convince the ECO...

Might be a bit of a risk...but it seems you're a risk taker already wink.png

All the best thumbsup.gif

RAZZ

What are the implications of getting a fiance visa but not getting married?

What are the implications of getting a fiance visa but not getting married?

She'd have to go back to Thailand.

And it probably wouldn't look too good for future visit visas etc but people's plans do change.

I think you have to get into your head what do you really want to do?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Did you contact that Visa Agency (details sent by PM)? There are thousands of Thai women happily settled in the UK with their partners.

Don't believe all you read on this website.

90+% of all Visit Visas are approved.

Not sure if Peter wants anyone's money, why would he? He's just looking for advice. And where's your eveidence that 90% of all Visas are approved? Sources I mean, quote them or be quiet and stop flaming innocent parties

RAZZ

Hey OP randymarsh ... you seem a genuine poster.

I know it's not a series of questions that you have asked but ...

Why the rush?

Yes, she is pregnant, but they have medical facilities which change that situation.

If your gf was unpregnant, would you be rushing to marry her?

After 2 months of knowing each other you are rushing into marriage.

I'm not saying that there isn't mutual love but ...

But 2 months is a very short time ... I suspect the Immigration officials in the UK will see that fact in a similar light.

Have you really contemplated the question that she will really hate it in the UK?

Completely different Culture.

Different language.

Very importantly, different food.

Seriously, has she even tried to eat Farang food for a day.

My first girl that I bought to my country really struggled.

What is Plan 'B' ?

Your gf is declined a Visitor Visa ... or any other type of Visa.

She is pregnant and can't get to the UK.

You go back and visit again.

Could you live in Thailand full time?

Do you have the money to retire now and support your gf, the new baby AND her family.

You do know that you will be expected to support her extended family?

There’s heaps more to consider, but give you time to digest those questions.

What I see is a caring man, who believes that he has inherited a responsibility and is doing the best to resolve the immediate issue.

What I also see is a man who maybe, because of the current emergency, not being able to foresee some of the major obstacles which are over the next hill and the hill after that.

What I do ask is that you liven this thread up again in say 9 months when everything will have come to their natural conclusion and let us know what decisions were made and why.

Your actions might then help someone in a similar situation to yourself and maybe you can be that person giving the advice.

Because, if there is one thing for sure, tomorrow, next week, next month, another man will have a pregnant Thai gf and thinking <deleted> has happened to my life.

Edited by David48

6 Months from date of application if I remember correctly.

Remember it has to be done online and she also has to go to give the documentation in to VFS and have biometrics done, cost is currently around 3800baht.

A tourist visa is valid for six months from the date the it is issued, she must leave the UK before the visa expires.

Just bare in mind that if she is still pregnant she would not be able to fly at some stage, the ECO will have this in mind when considering her application.

Edited by theoldgit

Randy, I thought the fiance route might have been an idea from the start of this post; but in the ideal world it would be good for her to absorb the uk for a month, mate it will be a massive shock for the girl from thai life. The last few posters have got a point mate, don't rush it, sure shes pregnant but its both your futures here, nothing wrong with having the baby in thailand, then if you feel the same get married and I'm sure with the extra time on your side you'll get the visa you need.

Good luck mate

Why the rush?

Yes, she is pregnant, but they have medical facilities which change that situation.

The rush is really because of her.

She has only been back at home with her family for three days and she's already unhappy. We talk every day and she says 9 months at home is a very long time and that she wants to see me, either in England or Thailand. Because of this, yesterday we decided that it would make more sense for me to go back over there and for her to then come back here to have the baby.

I'm worried that she will get more and more unhappy over the next couple of months and might consider alternatives around whether or not to even have the baby. It's been brought up between us a couple of times already and my immediate reaction is that I want her to have the baby and that's why I'm where I am now... trying to find a solution and to ensure she's happy.

If she was no longer pregnant then I don't know where that would leave our relationship. I'd hope we'd stay together and try and do things at a more reasonable pace but you never know.

But 2 months is a very short time ... I suspect the Immigration officials in the UK will see that fact in a similar light.

I know! Does anyone have any experience of successful applications for settlement / fiance visas after such a short space of time. By the time I were to apply, the relationship would have been ongoing for nearer 6 months, only with the last 4 months as long distance.

Have you really contemplated the question that she will really hate it in the UK?

Yes which is why I wanted a visitor visa so she could get a first impression. But now we really don't have the time to do this.

Someone else gave me some advice that she could arrive on a visitor visa and declare herself too sick to travel back, having the baby here. I'm trying to find out where that would leave me financially as far as medical support considering there would be really nothing I could do to make her go back to Thailand.

What is Plan 'B' ?

I would be happy for her to have the baby in Thailand and for me to visit a few times, maybe once before the birth and then again for it. But what she decides to do in the next couple of months could change all that. She has said a couple of times very firmly that she doesn't want to have the baby in Thailand. If we were to get to 6 or 7 months and our application was declined, clearly she'd have no choice but she wants to know as of today that it's not only possible but realistic for her to come here in time to have the baby.

No, definitely not and I'm not sure she'd want that - she wants to come to England.

Do you have the money to retire now and support your gf, the new baby AND her family.

No I'm 27. I have the money providing I work full time.

Yes but I'll think about that if I ever get that far. We have had conversations in the past and she understands what is and isn't possible for me financially.

Does any of that help? wacko.png

Edited by randymarsh

She has only been back at home with her family for three days and she's already unhappy.

Mate, firstly, yes ... all the information you have supplied helps a lot.

I'm but one voice, but have had the experience of others.

So ... "The rush is really because of her" ... don't feel bullied into something that you don't want to do.

That is completely different from a compromise, try and understand the difference.

" ... back at home ... for three days and she's already unhappy."

Her problem, not yours.

Maybe she is using the excuse of the baby and the resulting push to come to England to escape her family situation at home.

I've got to do separate posts because the Forum rules dictate that ... but I perfectly understand what you have written, so just be patient with me please.

While I doing this reply to you, just so that you know I'm not a hard barstad how doesn’t have a relation with a Thai girl ... you can meet me and the Clan over at this thread ... http://www.thaivisa....nd-shrimp-farm/

Why the rush?

She has only been back at home with her family for three days and she's already unhappy. We talk every day and she says 9 months at home is a very long time and that she wants to see me, either in England or Thailand. Because of this, yesterday we decided that it would make more sense for me to go back over there and for her to then come back here to have the baby.

I'm worried that she will get more and more unhappy over the next couple of months and might consider alternatives around whether or not to even have the baby. It's been brought up between us a couple of times already and my immediate reaction is that I want her to have the baby and that's why I'm where I am now... trying to find a solution and to ensure she's happy.

If she was no longer pregnant then I don't know where that would leave our relationship. I'd hope we'd stay together and try and do things at a more reasonable pace but you never know.

I know! Does anyone have any experience of successful applications for settlement / fiance visas after such a short space of time. By the time I were to apply, the relationship would have been ongoing for nearer 6 months, only with the last 4 months as long distance.

Yes which is why I wanted a visitor visa so she could get a first impression. But now we really don't have the time to do this.

Someone else gave me some advice that she could arrive on a visitor visa and declare herself too sick to travel back, having the baby here. I'm trying to find out where that would leave me financially as far as medical support considering there would be really nothing I could do to make her go back to Thailand.

What is Plan 'B' ?

I would be happy for her to have the baby in Thailand and for me to visit a few times, maybe once before the birth and then again for it. But what she decides to do in the next couple of months could change all that. She has said a couple of times very firmly that she doesn't want to have the baby in Thailand. If we were to get to 6 or 7 months and our application was declined, clearly she'd have no choice but she wants to know as of today that it's not only possible but realistic for her to come here in time to have the baby.

No, definitely not and I'm not sure she'd want that - she wants to come to England.

No I'm 27. I have the money providing I work full time.

Yes but I'll think about that if I ever get that far. We have had conversations in the past and she understands what is and isn't possible for me financially.

Does any of that help? wacko.png

My wife doesn't expect me to support her extended family, I already told her thats her responsibilty and she understands this. She works in Thailand and gives money to them and if she gets a settlement visa for the UK, she will work there too.

I find it quite worrying that she wants to have the baby in the UK after knowing you for such a short period of time. I don't think that the UKBA will look at this in a very good way for either visa, they may think she just wants to settle in the UK with a baby.

Can I ask you something, where did you meet your girlfriend?

My wife doesn't expect me to support her extended family, I already told her thats her responsibilty and she understands this. She works in Thailand and gives money to them and if she gets a settlement visa for the UK, she will work there too.

I find it quite worrying that she wants to have the baby in the UK after knowing you for such a short period of time. I don't think that the UKBA will look at this in a very good way for either visa, they may think she just wants to settle in the UK with a baby.

Can I ask you something, where did you meet your girlfriend?

"If she was no longer pregnant then I don't know where that would leave our relationship."

Major warning flag and goes to the strength of the relationship.

It almost seems that you want the baby more then her?

Please ... not an un-masculine thought and desire to have ... I am hoping that my girl and me can start a family when the time is right.

Just so that you know, if she is not covered by your health service (NHS?) then the delivery would be expensive for you and if the baby was premature then the costs of a humidicrib are astronomical!

To put your mind at ease ... because you are the father, the baby will have, as of right, duel citizenship to both Thailand (assuming the gf is Thai and not Laos etc) and the UK. The gf has no such right.

Edited by David48

My wife doesn't expect me to support her extended family, I already told her thats her responsibilty and she understands this.

Not withstanding what tribalfusion001 has posted above there are many stories when the man and Thai lady have both agreed to not send money to Thailand only for this to go TiTs up the moment she arrives on foreign soil.

There was an excellent post here by a guy with that exact experience ... but a quick search could not reveal it.

If I can nail it later I'll post it as well.

Maybe someone knows of a similar story and add to the thoughts here?

I don't want to be the sole voice here ...

Anyone ... not my area of knowledge.