Public Transport Vans Face Bt5,000 Fine For Speeding Beyond 90Kms Per Hour: Thailand

webfact

Public transport vans face Bt5,000 fine for speeding beyond 90kms per hour

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- From April 1 onwards, public transport vans that are speeding beyond 90kms/hour on tollways, expressways and motorways would be find at Bt5,000, Land Transport Department chief Somchai Siriwattanachoke said.

In the Wednesday press conference by the department, Transport Co Ltd and the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority, Somchai said the RFID technology to detect speeding public transport vans at tollways, expressways and motorways.

The first-time offender would be fined at Bt5,000, the second-time offender would be fined at Bt10,000 along with the public transport licence revocation. Currently there were some 9,000 public transport vans installed with the RFID.

Those spotting speeding or reckless-driving transport vans were encouraged to report to the department's centre for public transport vehicle passengers' protection at 1584 around the clock.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-28

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently there are 9,000 public transport vans fitted with RFID chips. These are the only ones effected by this statement.

To make this across the board, all public transport vehicles (not just mini vans) should be fitted with the system. In addition they should also display media to this effect to ensure the public know what they are getting into.

It is a start however first offence should be 50,000 baht and licence revoked. Second offence should be the same but with 6 month jail sentence. Of course this "report hot-line" is of little use if someone calls and says I saw a van with plate number ######## speeding and they get ahold of the driver he will just say "no I wasn't." end of that.

I was driving around Pattaya today at 5:00 (quiting time for construction workers) and saw at least 15 pick-ups with the back full of workers. They also have to make the same rules for this too especially with the latest fatalities in Saraburi today.

In Esaan once I saw the sonteaw driver for the school kids let his sone drive from the school into town and he must have been 15. His father I would say was 70. All the kids in the back were egging the kid on and shouting, laughing etc.

I said this a long time ago but this 5000 baht fine is not enough. They must also give random drug tests, eye examinations, health tests and some sort of training for these public transportation drivers.

• Like 1

It is a start however first offence should be 50,000 baht and licence revoked. Second offence should be the same but with 6 month jail sentence. Of course this "report hot-line" is of little use if someone calls and says I saw a van with plate number ######## speeding and they get ahold of the driver he will just say "no I wasn't." end of that.

I was driving around Pattaya today at 5:00 (quiting time for construction workers) and saw at least 15 pick-ups with the back full of workers. They also have to make the same rules for this too especially with the latest fatalities in Saraburi today.

In Esaan once I saw the sonteaw driver for the school kids let his sone drive from the school into town and he must have been 15. His father I would say was 70. All the kids in the back were egging the kid on and shouting, laughing etc.

I said this a long time ago but this 5000 baht fine is not enough. They must also give random drug tests, eye examinations, health tests and some sort of training for these public transportation drivers.

Quick one on the pickups; don't they drivers need to have a passenger licence to be able to carry said passengers? I know it is their only way to get to and from work, but the accidents and deaths caused by these guys really makes you think is it worth it.

I'm pretty sure that there will be a booming business in RFID Chip removal going on soon!

Realistically though, removing the chips won't be required. In order for this law to work, it would have to be enforced. Who's going to enforce it? The BIB??? dry.png

All negativity aside, I do hope it does something to slow them down. They only need to make a few examples of some guys and the word will spread quickly and they'll slow down. I think 5000 baht is a good amount. Enough to make them slow down but not so much that they'd rather drive the van off a bridge embankment to avoid the fine (or is it?).

I only wish this covered all public transport vehicles and all of Thailand. The weekly bus accident deaths won't be affected by this.

well it is a start !

It is a start however first offence should be 50,000 baht and licence revoked. Second offence should be the same but with 6 month jail sentence.

But if the license is revoked by the first offence,then how they gonna do a second offence?

When the revocation period for the 1st offence has expired.

Tea money or not....it's about bloody time the government got off there ass and did something about the idiot van drivers regularly taking peoples lives into there hands. Now if they can just get the BIB to get off there ass to in force it. 5000 Baht a pinch pretty good chance your going to see more cops on the roads.

Why only Bangkok. Minivan drivers are a real menace on Phuket.

And Samui

From April 1 onwards, public transport vans that are speeding beyond 90kms/hour on tollways, expressways and motorways would be find at Bt5,000, Land Transport Department chief Somchai Siriwattanachoke said.

This 90kph limit has to be enforced together with safer driving and more speed limit road signs. A limit of 90kph is ridculous on some roads. In any case how can this be a safe limit anywhere in Bangkok? Does the Ministry of transport even look at other capitals speed limits? In London the limit is 50kph, I ride a motorbike in Bangkok and it is impossible to do this speed as most of the traffic is traveling in excess of 80.. These knee jerk reactions to the latest accident are useless without an ever increasing improvement and enforcement of traffic laws, education on road safety and a complete root and branch reform of "those" responsible for law enforcement. If this can be achieved, then the country as a whole gains, because at the moment and for as long as I have been here only those responsible for enforcement gain. A sorry state of affairs indeed.

Most of the above posts are absolutely right. But going strictly 90 km/h on a motorway like, or similar road,

doesn't make sense, when 120 would be possible without any danger.

It is all about the proven ability of the drivers. So people driving public vehicles, should be much better trained and chosen more careful.

Why don`t the government do anything about it is ununderstandable.

The government should been brought to the court on this issue. Because they are responsible for thousands of lost lives every year. Wake up Thailand !!!"

But who exactly is expected to enforce this speed limit? Anywhere? I've never seen Thai police officers enforcing speed limits in Bangkok. I live near the expressway and I regularly hear people pushing their imported motorcycles and cars to their mechanical limits. If you watch late at night, you can see some of them actually racing. This happens in an organized, unmistakable fashion right on branches of Bangkok's main highway system. Maybe the Thai police should set up some of their workday traffic checkpoints (for invented offenses) right in the middle of the highway, like, late at night. Two birds with one stone...Whoops. Sorry...I didn't mean that...

Why 90 kms as a blanket speed limit? Why not just stop vans that are exceeding the existing speed limit? Most of the tollway is max 80 kms per hour. I agree that this is too slow, but until the limit is adjusted 90 would be breaking the law. It seems that there is an attempt to use technology to replace ineffective policing. Until police are required to do their job, this will just end in more bureaucracy and as stated in a previous post, more tea money. The Thai are very good at announcing new projects, but very poor at reporting their success or lack thereof once implemented.

Should be signs on the back of the vans like in Europe, saying "How is my driving? Call xxxxxxxxx"

Also if a van is reported then the person reporting the van gets a reward, this would really get things done.

Should be signs on the back of the vans like in Europe, saying "How is my driving? Call xxxxxxxxx"

Also if a van is reported then the person reporting the van gets a reward, this would really get things done.

So Somchai driving behind the speeding van whips out his mobile, takes his eye off the road whilst dialing and boom another wreck.

Speeding vans to face fines

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Starting on Sunday, speeding passenger vans will be fined Bt5,000 and for a repeat offence will lose their public-transport licence.

Somchai Siriwattanachoke, director-general of the Land Transport Department, said yesterday that so far some 9,000 RFID (radio-frequency identification) tags have been installed in commuter vans to detect speeding on tollways.

Drivers found travelling over 90km/h will be fined Bt5,000 for the first offence, he told a press conference held by the department, Transport Co and Bangkok Mass Transit Authority.

For a second offence, they will be fined Bt10,000 and the public-transport licence will be revoked.

Anyone spotting vans that are driven too fast or in a reckless manner can report them to the 1584 hotline around the clock, Somchai said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-29