Extend "o" Visa (husband)

Hi, I have searched the forum but cannot find an answer.

My "O" (husband) visa is due for extension in February. When I originally applied & was granted the visa I was not working and the Immigration Department deemed my financial status etc as sufficient. I'm now working at an international school therefore I have a work permit.

Do you think I should remain on the "O" visa or let the school handle everything eg change to a "B" visa? I intend to continue working for several years atleast, probably at this school.

The school does not mind if I remain on an "O" visa but I 'm unsure if the school admin staff can submit the required paperwork & extension application or will my wife & I need to go to the Immigration office in person?

Basically, what are the pro's & con's?

Thanks Pete

If you are making enough for the "O" visa, you want to keep it. I think the minimum for a w/p on an "O" is 60K baht a month.

Then what will happen is you get your WP and you can then extend your Non-O on the basis of having a W/P, when needed.

If you change to a "B" visa, then if you choose to leave the school, or whatever reason, you also lose your "B" Visa, and technically you will have to leave the country and return on your Non-O.

If someone does convince you to Change your Visa, then get a re-entry Permit for your "O" Visa. Then when you leave the country to change the visa you won't lose the time you have been here to count for becoming a Permemant Resident.

I hope that helps. But you certainly can get a Work Permit for a Non-O visa. Thats exactly what I have.

If you change to a B visa it will be linked to your job and when/if that ends so ends any extension of stay.

Keep using the O (I assume you mean you have a one year extension of stay ending in February?). The income level required is the same as you now face, 40k per month or 400k in bank account as the extension will be for support Thai wife rather than employment. The school can have the work permit made for the same time as your extensions. If you change jobs no problem as your extension stays alive until the next renewal date.

Yes, you and wife will always have to appear at immigration as is now the case. Even with a B believe you would still have to appear yourself.