Filing a joint tax return in America with Thai wife

I would like to file a joint US tax return with my Thai wife because I will get a fairly substantial tax deduction. However, to get this deduction, I must declare her earnings in Thailand (which are only around US$10000). After searching the internet for hours, I was unable to determine what's a suitable substitution for the W-2 form that is issued by employers in America. She works for a government university, so we were able to download a document online that specifies what she was paid for the year. Does anybody know if this document would be accepted by the IRS?

I also need to get her a US tax identification number, but this can only be applied for at the same time as filing the tax return.

JGA

Foreign income doesn't require document submission to the IRS.

Keep it for your records in case you're asked in the future.

Also don't forget the FEIE to exclude her income.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, JGA said:

I also need to get her a US tax identification number, but this can only be applied for at the same time as filing the tax return.

I believe you can apply for a TIN anytime after marriage without filing taxes. If the IRS hasn't changed the application process they require  "certified" copies and translations of Thai identification card, birth certificate and marriage registration. In my experience, it took 8 weeks after submission to receive the TIN. 

Edited by tweedledee2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

I believe you can apply for a TIN anytime after marriage without filing taxes. If the IRS hasn't changed the application process they require  "certified" copies and translations of Thai identification card, birth certificate and marriage registration. In my experience, it took 8 weeks after submission to receive the TIN. 

Agreed.

• Thumbs Up 1

If she's not a US citizen ,,  or legal resident.  she dos not file

If her Thai earnings are listed under her Thai name..  not your sur name .  you definitely do not want to open that box

don't forget you may need to submit an FBAR form for all total bank savings over 10k US

and if there are any accts with just her maiden name ..  they will not be shared with the US

IF you have a legal US address that you can use  while living oveseas .  there is a huge savings /refund available for you

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

same with me - wife has no income but needed the TIN for 1040 joint filing, realtively quick response from the necessary office.

I submitted an application for a TIN for my Thai wife together with our first joint tax return in 2011 without reporting any income for her.  It took a little longer to process, but there were no problems or questions asked.

On 5/1/2024 at 2:54 PM, JGA said:

I also need to get her a US tax identification number

Good luck with that.  I tried to get my wife one about 5 years ago.  The US changed the methods for issuing them and I couldn't find a way and us still live here.