Another Money Making Trick At Villa

Wellington

My wife's famous cauliflower cheese is on the menu tonight,

so a nice big cauli was picked at Villa,taken to the till and shock horror we saw the price ;168bht. over 4 quid !

We suggested this was a tad expensive ,greeted with the usual incomprehension,so I took off the brown paper which had been cleverly inserted under the cling film,

to hide the bottom of the vegetable.

What do we find? You've guessed it.

It was brown and going off

Now in my book that is dishonest.

So check under everything you buy if it's wrapped to hide faults.This goes for strawberries which are often hidden too.

We bought three smaller caulis for under 100 bht in the market at Kathu. They were not bad.

Really - who buys fresh veg at Villa ??

Agreed. With the exception of imported items such are parsnips, celeriac, and the occasional herbs, all our fruit and veg comes from the local markets (mainly the large fresh market in Phuket Town). Far cheaper and much fresher.

We use the Kathu MArket,very good,but not always everything you want,so Villa and Tops second choice.

But the main point was surely obvious.....they are cheating by hiding the produce under thick wrapping,

not many have the nerve to tear off the paper to see what's underneath.

I gave up on the local markets when I bought a red pepper on one stall and, realising a bit later I needed two, went to the nearest stall only to be asked for 3 times the price I'd been charged at the first!

I'd thought I had been 'ripped off' on other occasions, but as I'm not an expert on veg prices, had just been left wondering....

Its a shame as I'd far prefer to give my money to a local rather than a supermarket, but nowadays I use a veg shop holder who charges more than Tesco but, at least I'm fairly sure she's not taking advantage to the same extent.

If I'm feeling lazy (and can't be bothered to go through the 'wash with anti-pesticide etc.' regime), I go to Tesco for hydroponic veg.

The problem with Villa Market is that they sell imported veg - which is bound to be expensive.

I go to Tesco for hydroponic veg.

Why don't you go to the hydroponic farm and cut out the middle-man?

Too far away - I only go beyond Chalong Circle if I REALLY have too, the traffic (and driving) is just too bad.

Incidentally, I have found a (reasonably) nearby 'mom and pop' shop that sells 'goods' at less than Tescos! Needless to say, anything I can buy from them - I do.

exactly, unless its stuff like avocados or jalapeno peppers which you can't get anywhere else

You can buy these at TOPs in Central and at Robinsons in Phuket Town. Some of the produce sold at Villa Mart cannot be found elsewhere, but not much. In the early days the food - both meat and veg etc - was fresh well marked and served by staff who seemed to want to be of service. Now all one gets is a shrug, and a look that tells me 'I'm stupid'.

With many open air markets about and TOPS just down the road I wonder that Villa has any customers at all. You've guessed it, I am not a happy Villa customer.

Must admit, the quality of fresh produce has gone down at Villa.

So far, I've had rotten lettuce, rotten broccoli and rotten asparagus. None of which could be seen until opened.

I get my veggies at the hydroponic farm, or, from the numerous daily markets.

Edited by KarenBravo

They also have this imported cauliflower .. Price sky high too. I hate all the plastic on the produce at vila.

Ever been to bigC? I bought one wrapped green pepper 48baht. On the underside was a nice rotten soft spot

Try Makro.

i did. wife told me to get some potatoes when going out. went to our bank's branch near Villa Market, Pattaya and bought 2 or 3kg. left cashier's slip in the bag. wife cut one week of my pocket money mad.gif

Overall, it would be tragic if you were forced to buy everything you need at Villa. Some of their prices are absurd. Of course that's a trick, you're there, so they hope you buy at least some of what you need of their high markup items. But if you happen to be there, and shop very selectively, there are some items that priced similarly to other supermarkets and of course they stock some things not every place has, like fresh jalapeno peppers and celery. On produce, some of their Thai sourced vegetables are fine, but their fruit prices are all needless markups.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1