Thai Democrats Set Sights On 2015 Victory

webfact

Democrats set sights on 2015 victory

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat Party on Friday convened its annual convention unveiling the 15-point strategy to grab power by 2015.

The strategy, to be implemented over four years from this year to 2015, spelled out action plans to enable the Democrats to achieve a majority to lead the next coalition government.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva kicked off the convention rallying his fellow Democrats and promising to steer their party to victory.

Key action plans will focus on strengthening party branches, enlarging party membership, reaching out to professional groups and promoting the people's agendas, seen as an antidote to the Pheu Thai Party's populist policies.

The party approved a Bt151 budget for spending plans designed to engage the public and youths in party building,

The Democrats plan to sponsor a people's assembly, expected to draw 300 participants from various professions, to chart the country's future.

Abhisit said his fellow Democrats wanted to lift the country's out of the persisting turmoil fuelled by the power struggle in order to devote attention to address structural issues like the economic disparity and social injustice.

The party appointed a nine-member panel, led by former party leader Banyat Bantadtan, to nominate electoral candidates for the next general election.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-30

"Abhisit said his fellow Democrats wanted to lift the country's out of the persisting turmoil fuelled by the power struggle in order to devote attention to address structural issues like the economic disparity and social injustice"

What 'persistent turmoil fuelled by the power struggle"?........ I suppose the Democrats can be forgiven for thinking there must be turmoil if they are not governing, but that is not reality......... Is there more of a 'power struggle' here in Thailand than between the Republicans and Democrats in the USA, or between the Conservatives and Labour in Great Britain? I don't think so. Just normal political discord between competing political forces that elections serve to regulate.

That aside, political conventions following a significant electoral defeat normally include a leadership review. Obviously not in this case, or at least I haven't seen any reference to it.

Edited by CalgaryII

"Abhisit said his fellow Democrats wanted to lift the country's out of the persisting turmoil fuelled by the power struggle in order to devote attention to address structural issues like the economic disparity and social injustice"

What 'persistent turmoil fuelled by the power struggle"?........ I suppose the Democrats can be forgiven for thinking there must be turmoil if they are not governing, but that is not reality......... Is there more of a 'power struggle' here in Thailand than between the Republicans and Democrats in the USA, or between the Conservatives and Labour in Great Britain? I don't think so. Just normal political discord between competing political forces that elections serve to regulate.

That aside, political conventions following a significant electoral defeat normally include a leadership review. Obviously not in this case, or at least I haven't seen any reference to it.

Agreed. And from what I've read about goings-on in parliament, lawsuits, etc., its the Democrats who are 'struggling for power' ... they are part of the very 'problem' they are identifying here. (Though, yes, much of what we see is typical of democratic systems). Does Abhisit really believe it will magically go away if they get into power? It's like two people tussling over a seat on bus, and the guy pushing from the aisle saying "if you just give me the seat, the conflict will be over".

I don't think their 151 baht budget is going to get them very far.

giggle.gif

" Right Suthep. Make a list and pop to the 7-11. I pack of Nautilus tuna spread and crackers, 2 hot dog smokey bites, a strawberry Cornetto and a couple of cans of Birdy coffee. You should have enough."

To Democrats it's obvious that PTP government is not interested in solving country's structural problems, just in throwing poor a few bones here and there to keep their loyalty. Red shirts have no ideas how to address all the issues they raised in their rallies either.

Democrats might be right here but who cares? Did they actually believe reds rhetoric? Inequality is a non-issue, for example, just a talking point to attack someone. It's admirable for Democrats to try and solve it but I doubt that it's attractive enough in election season.

Free computer tablets, on the other hand...

• Like 1

Pheu Thai have had a multi-year head start with their sophisticated techniques of capturing the masses such as social engineering, but it's better late than never for Abhisit who I think is one of the most qualified politicians in terms of knowledge, experience and personal qualities to lead Thailand again.

• Like 1

Pheu Thai have had a multi-year head start with their sophisticated techniques of capturing the masses such as social engineering, but it's better late than never for Abhisit who I think is one of the most qualified politicians in terms of knowledge, experience and personal qualities to lead Thailand again.

Experience? At what? Being an MP that has been rebuked by the electorate in every election?

The man never had a real job in his life. His claim to fame is having been a lecturer for one year after he graduated from University. He was parachuted into a safe seat.

Maybe if he had held a job outside of the House, he'd have a better understanding of the Thai electorate.

abhisit was given the PM position on a silver platter. He couldn't convince the country to accept is leadership and all of his party's grand plans didn't go anywhere did they?

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

You don't need to be famous to qualify for going into politics. Why would you even think that?

And his plans of the country didn't go anywhere because they were threatening to the elites that control the red shirt movement. Land tax? No way, dropped without a word, reds will understand, they need to feed their masters first, then wait for leftovers.

There's no way Abhisit would cut business taxes, which was the first order of business for red leaders.

There's no way Abhisit would advocate raising prices - high inflation is PTP main economic strategy. Do red shirts care about this? They haven't been told to so it's okay. In fact, according to the government, there's no inflation in this country so it's not a problem.

Rice price guarantee? PTP wouldn't have any of that - they can't follow up on any successful Democrat policies, so when there's flood there's no guarantee anymore, no rice no dice. Even if they can sell their rice, never mind the price, the government can sell a few percent under G-to-G agreements and claim export success. Nevermind ending with millions of tons of deteriorating rice that they can't sell, they've got solution to that, and it's going to be LEGEN --- wait for it --- DARY.

Let the government fall, let Democrats assume power, fix everything, pay all the old debts, see the country out of yet another crisis, then PTP can win elections again and return as knights on white horses. Worked back in 2000, worked after world crisis of 2008, will work again - PTP investment in keeping electorate dumb is going to pay off at least one more time.

Eventually, though, time is not on PTP side. Too many people turning into thinking middle class can't be good for their populist policies, they can't attract middle classes with petty giveaways, they need population to stay dumb and poor, but they will live comfortably for the rest of the current lot natural lives, how the next generation will try to screw the population is not their concern.

Rant over.

• Like 1

Why do they presume they will be leading a COALITION government? If they are targeting a sufficiently large majority, then they they should be aiming for single party government. Who knows, such an achievement might help to change the status quo of Thai politics.

Experience? At what? Being an MP that has been rebuked by the electorate in every election?

The man never had a real job in his life. His claim to fame is having been a lecturer for one year after he graduated from University. He was parachuted into a safe seat.

Maybe if he had held a job outside of the House, he'd have a better understanding of the Thai electorate.

abhisit was given the PM position on a silver platter. He couldn't convince the country to accept is leadership and all of his party's grand plans didn't go anywhere did they?

Well at least he didn't get his money with corruption like Thaksin (mobile phone license...)

Well at least he didn't get his money with corruption like Thaksin (mobile phone license...)

LOL, that's the best you can do?

You do know the Abhisit family history, right? You might want to check out his father. I think young Abhisit did benefit from dad.

Apisit has been an excellent MP for the last 20 years. I remember his education reform plans back in the Chuan government, but Pheua Thai don't want real reform of course,just hand out some tablets without any thorough planning.

Btw Geriatic Kid, I disagree with your comments about the quality of the Democrats' ministers in recent years.

In the last government Apisit, Korn, Jurin,Ong-art all did a good job in my view, and let's not forget capable men such as Dr Supachai and Dr Surin.

I was thinking along the same lines as one of the above posters as to whether an increasingly middle class Thailand would benefit the Democrats. I'd like to think so.

• Like 1

It will be nice if the democrats actually follow through on developing a sound political constituency. This might lead to politicians recognizing that they represent people when they govern.

Oh, you mean like the hollow and cynical "populism" of the Thaksinistas?

I've got a 15 point plan for them. Get rid of these guys and get others not despised by the majority of the electorate;

1 Abhisit Vejjajiva

2 Chuan Leekpai

3 Banyat Bantadtan

4 Thirdpong Jayananda

5 Jurin Laksanaviseth

6 Korn Chatikavanij

7 Khunying Kalaya Sophonphanich

8 Apirak Kosayothin

9 Trairong Suwankhiri

10 Chamni Sakdiseth

11 Paithoon Kaewthong

12 Issara Somchai

13 Charoenkhanthawong

14 Alongkorn Pollabutr

15 Arkom Engchuan

You do know the Abhisit family history, right? You might want to check out his father. I think young Abhisit did benefit from dad.

????

check out how Thaksin got his GSM monopoly from Suchinda. So no experience like your hero.

I've got a 15 point plan for them. Get rid of these guys and get others not despised by the majority of the electorate;

1 Abhisit Vejjajiva

2 Chuan Leekpai

3 Banyat Bantadtan

4 Thirdpong Jayananda

5 Jurin Laksanaviseth

6 Korn Chatikavanij

8 Apirak Kosayothin

9 Trairong Suwankhiri

10 Chamni Sakdiseth

11 Paithoon Kaewthong

12 Issara Somchai

13 Charoenkhanthawong

14 Alongkorn Pollabutr

15 Arkom Engchuan

Specially Abhisit (and before Suthep) is a guarantee that even some Democrats don't vote for them.

It will be nice if the democrats actually follow through on developing a sound political constituency. This might lead to politicians recognizing that they represent people when they govern.

Too bad the fugitive fuhrer never will represent anyone else than himself and his cronies.

1 Abhisit Vejjajiva

2 Chuan Leekpai

3 Banyat Bantadtan

4 Thirdpong Jayananda

5 Jurin Laksanaviseth

6 Korn Chatikavanij

8 Apirak Kosayothin

9 Trairong Suwankhiri

10 Chamni Sakdiseth

11 Paithoon Kaewthong

12 Issara Somchai

13 Charoenkhanthawong

14 Alongkorn Pollabutr

15 Arkom Engchuan

Specially Abhisit (and before Suthep) is a guarantee that even some Democrats don't vote for them.

Get rid of them? I hope you don't mean that in a Chalerm-type way!

Edited by bigbamboo

"unveiling the 15-point strategy "

Seems like everybody in parliament could do with learning the "12 steps" first....

-mel.

Or the 10 Commandments. I doubt that few Thai politicians keep No.7 so no hope of keeping No. 8.

1 Abhisit Vejjajiva

2 Chuan Leekpai

3 Banyat Bantadtan

4 Thirdpong Jayananda

5 Jurin Laksanaviseth

6 Korn Chatikavanij

8 Apirak Kosayothin

9 Trairong Suwankhiri

10 Chamni Sakdiseth

11 Paithoon Kaewthong

12 Issara Somchai

13 Charoenkhanthawong

14 Alongkorn Pollabutr

15 Arkom Engchuan

Mr Farang Khii Nok, you should change your name back to Caragyll or 'copy and paste'.

Apisit has been an excellent MP for the last 20 years. I remember his education reform plans back in the Chuan government, but Pheua Thai don't want real reform of course,just hand out some tablets without any thorough planning.

Btw Geriatic Kid, I disagree with your comments about the quality of the Democrats' ministers in recent years.

In the last government Apisit, Korn, Jurin,Ong-art all did a good job in my view, and let's not forget capable men such as Dr Supachai and Dr Surin.

I was thinking along the same lines as one of the above posters as to whether an increasingly middle class Thailand would benefit the Democrats. I'd like to think so.

You either have a spotty memory or are intentionally neglecting that his rule was characterized by gross negligence in allowing multiple corruption scandals. He was supposed to be Mr. Clean was't he?

- His government's Community Self-Sufficiency Project, was wracked by allegations of irregularities including overpriced equipment, transfer of funds to politically connected villages before project approval and a lack of consultation with participating communities. Deputy Prime Minister Korbsak Sabhavasu resigned as chairman of the project and his younger brother Prapoj Sabhavasu resigned as deputy director of the office.

- Remember the scandal with the government's plan to lease, at inflated costs natural gas-fired buses for mass transport in Bangkok? Despite all the evidence presented his cabinet approved the 64 billion baht contract. I believe that this could be considered a handout to the BJT to keep them onside as they were the ones in charge of the MoT.

- How about his dealings with BJT boss Newin Chidchob and how Newin and his 43 other co-accused in corruption on the rubber saplings procurement project were acquitted. Had he lost his BJT friends his government would have fallen.

- How about his 13 disqualified MPs for conflict of interest improprieties? He didn't act to remove them from caucus until forced into action by the judiciary. Remember Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who was forced to give up his seat but through a legal loophole hung on to his ministerial positions?

- Remember the allegations that the democrats illegally received 258 million baht for the 2005 general election from publicly listed company TPI Polene through a nominee advertising entity.

I like your reference to former Democrat PM Chuan Leekpai. Didn't his government collapse because of the land scandal in Phuket? Remember the former interior minister Sanan Kachornprasart who had to leave office over a corruption scandal? Abhisit made him a deputy PM. That was a genius move.

It seems to me that everything Abhist did was predicated on getting to be PM and he certainly played fast and loose with his purported ethics and self professed integrity.

Know what the difference between Abhisit and Thaksin is? You know what you are getting with Thaksin. It's like 2 girls; One wears makeup and the other doesn't. With Thaksin you see his blemishes and wrinkles. With Abhisit, he's got so much makeup on, you are dealing with the gal from Mac.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Wana back that up with some facts gkid? After all your the member who made a very big issue a couple of weeks ago about posts providing facts.