53-Year-Old American Tourist Plunge From 25th Floor Of Pattaya Condo

webfact

53-year-old American tourist plunge from 25th floor of Pattaya condo

The Nation

PATTAYA: -- An American tourist fell from his room on the 25th floor of a Pattaya condominium late Sunday night and was killed in an apparent suicide, police said.

Police said Philip Joseph Queen, 53, apparently jumped from the balcony of his room on the Pattaya Beach Condominium at 10 minutes after midnight.

Police said they found a suicide letter on his body.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-02

It's a very inconsiderate way of ending it though - making a huge mess and causing a lot of trauma to other residents and tourists, not to mention the risk of hurting someone below

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

It's a very inconsiderate way of ending it though - making a huge mess and causing a lot of trauma to other residents and tourists, not to mention the risk of hurting someone below

I was just about to say that.What if he landed on someone.

RIP but next time be more careful and show some consideration

Edited by Rimmer

52 year old American falls to his death from 25th floor Central Pattaya Condo

PATTAYA:--A 52 year old American resident appears to have committed suicide by jumping from the balcony of his 25th floor apartment in Central Pattaya.

Late on Sunday Night, Police and rescue services were called to the View Talay 6 Condominium located next to Central Festival Pattaya Beach following the death of Mr. Phillip Joseph Glynn. His body was found by security guards at the base of the building.

It was determined he occupied a 25th floor apartment where evidence of the suicide was collected, including a letter apparently written by Mr. Glynn to his sister Shirley Glynn which stated that he was mentally and physically ill and the letter finished with him saying goodbye to individual family members. Police found no evidence of foul play inside his apartment and the American Embassy in Bangkok has been informed.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/52341/52-year-american-falls-death-25th-floor-central-pattaya-condo/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-04-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

A lot of westerners commit suicide in Thailand. Could it be that they are broke and have no access to any help. If they have no money to leave or return to their country and have to overstay with the thought of imprisonment for doing so. Thailand is a cruel place for a foreigner with no money.

A lot of westerners commit suicide in Thailand. Could it be that they are broke and have no access to any help. If they have no money to leave or return to their country and have to overstay with the thought of imprisonment for doing so. Thailand is a cruel place for a foreigner with no money.

I don't know about other countries, but the US has a program to get destitute Americans back home, through what is called a repatriation loan. The consulate staff will first try to get funds from family or friends back home but as a last resort, they can provide a loan. The requirements are rather onerous, but the program does exist.

Details can be found in the manual online: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/orr/programs/RepManual.pdf

RIP and condolences to the family.

What kind of physical and mental illness would it take to do that sort of thing?

I can think of many, but just to mention two: Alzheimer (must be horror to not know who you are, where you are, not knowing anybody...) or terminal cancer (horror of pain...)

Personally, I am member of an organisation called Exit here in Switzerland which helps with assisted suicide, given two independant doctor's reviews confirming your situation. Much better solution than having to jump off bridges / high rises / jumping in front of trains...

• Like 1

What kind of physical and mental illness would it take to do that sort of thing?

I can think of many, but just to mention two: Alzheimer (must be horror to not know who you are, where you are, not knowing anybody...) or terminal cancer (horror of pain...)

Personally, I am member of an organisation called Exit here in Switzerland which helps with assisted suicide, given two independant doctor's reviews confirming your situation. Much better solution than having to jump off bridges / high rises / jumping in front of trains...

Yes, you come from a civilized country, health-care wise. The man in this case was American.

Yes, you come from a civilized country, health-care wise. The man in this case was American.

You missed my point, Jingthing, it is NOT about health care. Yes, of course having Alzheimer or terminal cancer, in Switzerland I could get lots of care in special nursery homes for terminal ill people (I know of some such nursery homes in Thailand also, one even opened by a Swiss expat), but that is not my message.

My message is that I do also seriously consider suicide being the better option than years long suffering from such a medical situation. I would not call an assisted suicide organisation like Exit a "health-care" organisation, but I do prefer such a suicide (they provide you with a deadly medicament cocktail) to jumping off buildings.

Edited by Swiss1960

So sad really. It is very easy to become lonely in Thailand if you have spent time here and are not into the bar girl scene and have had a few relationships gone sour.

You might still love Thailand and all but it's easy to be lonely here as well for many. For some people, going back to their original countries is not an option and they would sooner die here then go back especially if they are ill and maybe not able to function in society like many. To go back home and not be able to function in a world that you do not like (in his case USA) would not be nice. Maybe he enjoyed his life here right up until he decided to end it and figured it was a better option than going through all the humility of using America's repatriot sceme.

I for one have no family or friends any more back home and have been here awhile so I would sooner end it here than there.

RIP and condolences to the friends and family.

Edited by Gone

Thank you so much for removing the very insensitive comments from this site. It is a devastating time for the family and I'd ask on their behalf that you please refrain from any negative comments. Phil was a good man and he is a son, a brother, an Uncle and a friend. It is shocking for all of us back home here in the US. Please keep the family in your prayers.

• Like 1

its just some thing you have to go through to understand it,, dificult to understand when your straight thinking but when your at the level he was at it makes every thing go away, and thats the mind set.

sad RIP

your assuming he jumped...have some respect

Let me help you out. "Police said they found a suicide letter on his body"

I don't respect people who jump off buildings.