Thai Airways Brings WiFi, Mobile Phone Services To The Sky

webfact

Thai Airways brings WiFi, mobile phone services to the sky

Passengers will soon be able to make calls, use Facebook and tweet about their meals. Just like being in the office, really

Expect a surge of Instagram shots of airplane wings and inflight meals when Thai Airways launches its new on-board connectivity services later this year.

Thailand's flag carrier announced it has teamed up with airline communications group OnAir to equip its aircraft with in-flight WiFi and mobile capabilities. The first flights are expected to offer the service in mid 2012, with full roll-out completed by 2014.

The services will initially be installed on six Airbus A380 and seven Airbus A330 aircraft that fly to European and regional destinations, including Japan. It is part of a major -- and dare we say much needed -- investment program to modernize Thai Airways’ in-flight products. [more...]

Full story: http://www.cnngo.com...wifi-sky-771804

-- CNNGO 2012-04-03

footer_n.gif

I was on a flight back from Sydney last week, with the air conditioning pretty much shot...everybody sweating it out for the last 5 hours of the flight. I suggest they address that issue before making sure we can have wifi.

the plane was the last place to be without mobile phone or internet ..... is it really necessary ? I would rather prefer them to upgrade they lousy business class .... Can you imagine those Hi-So thai talking with their friends during the night and distrubing others ? not sure its a great idea .. on a flight from Korea to Bkk , one thai guy was on his blackberry and his Iphone at the same time disturbing all the cabin because he was talking so loud ....

• Like 2

I would prefer they start with the basics and install personal screens in all their aircraft first......

Yep, I always flew Thai because of the convenience even though it was more expensive. But I'm afraid, like Thailand itself, it relies too much on it's self publicised reputation. For example Thai girls don't have a monopoly on fixed smiles and most other airlines employ their staff on the basis of how good they are not who they are.

Will be curious to see the rates as well. I remember being really impressed when airlines first put in phones. Then astonished at the rate of 5 dollars a minute.........

5 dollars a minute......... was about the price we used to pay for an Inmarsat call from a ship at sea some years ago!

• Like 1

OMG! just imagine sitting next to someone with verbal diarrhoea, and unable to stop talking for hours on end..

It's bad enough on trains and buses, but an international flight! I'd be making serious enquiries about flying with that particular airline. angry.png

h door or something similar? Does anybody know?

On other carriers who already have inflight phone connection etc., can you access this from your seat, or is there a special cubicle with a door? Does anybody know?

Look on the bright side - if you dont like the inflight food, you could order a pizza. No wait......! sad.png

Is this where Miracle Thailand kicks in?..........!

A PizzaCo guy just went past me on Sukhumvit and I could swear he was flying. rolleyes.gif

On other carriers who already have inflight phone connection etc., can you access this from your seat, or is there a special cubicle with a door? Does anybody know?

On Emirates you can access it from anywhere in the plane (including your seat). They just recommend to switch off the ringtone (and switch on vibrate) to avoid disturbing other passengers. Noise is not that much of a problem in the Emirates business class (A380) as the seats are pods, so people are more or less insulated from each other by being in their cocoon...

The price is supposed to discourage abusive behaviors...

Edited by GaiUan

But, I can already imagine some hi-so wannabe's pretending to make and receive calls. rolleyes.gif

I remember a flight from Shanghai to Bangkok on Thai Air. I was in business class, and it was just after the first i-Pod had come on the scene.

I got a call from my old friend Jack Palmer from UK, and was so excited I shouted, "Hi-Jack" at the top of my voice!

I was cuffed to my seat for the next 2 hours. :(

-mel. giggle.gifofftopic.gif

• Like 1

But, I can already imagine some hi-so wannabe's pretending to make and receive calls. rolleyes.gif

I remember a flight from Shanghai to Bangkok on Thai Air. I was in business class, and it was just after the first i-Pod had come on the scene.

I got a call from my old friend Jack Palmer from UK, and was so excited I shouted, "Hi-Jack" at the top of my voice!

I was cuffed to my seat for the next 2 hours. sad.png

-mel. giggle.gifofftopic.gif

Next time you should try with an iPhone instead of iPod. :)

Will be curious to see the rates as well. I remember being really impressed when airlines first put in phones. Then astonished at the rate of 5 dollars a minute.........

5 dollars a minute......... was about the price we used to pay for an Inmarsat call from a ship at sea some years ago!

The price of Inmarsat hasnt changed too much its still around $5/min....this is why most offshore set ups run V-sat now....buy ya bandwidth and can run up as many calls as you like....only one price per month...after you have rented the kit, around $4000/month for a 512k connection