Where Can A Tourist Go In Thailand?

lovelomsak

The OP is a TROLL.

OK, lets suppose he is. Nominate him for a troll award. But what does that have to do with the topic? Give him an answer or shut up. Why mock the OP? In reading your previous topics I see one entitled, "Defecating On National Tv," You hardly have room to talk about exhilarating posts.

According to the majority of posts here, Thailand seems to be one of the most dangerous countries anyone could step into.

Scammers, insurgents, bombs, dual pricing, racists, undeveloped infrastructure, dangerous roads, tuk tuk mafia ready to attack, lots of crime, murders, drugs, violent attacks, unhealthy atmosphere, people dying in the same hotel etc etc. It sounds so risky that even stepping out of the aircraft seems dangerous!

I guess, soon there will be no foreigners to be seen around in Thailand. Pity if most or all foreigners living now in Thailand decide to pack-up and go elsewhere.

Very sad situation indeed.

I am totally at a loss as to why the BKK airport is still over crowded.

unsure.png

• Like 1

touchy touchy aren't we?

The OP is a TROLL.

OK, lets suppose he is. Nominate him for a troll award. But what does that have to do with the topic? Give him an answer or shut up. Why mock the OP? In reading your previous topics I see one entitled, "Defecating On National Tv," You hardly have room to talk about exhilarating posts.

They're rioting in Africa

They're starving in Spain

There's hurricanes in Florida

And Texas needs rain

The whole world is festering

With unhappy soles

The French hate the Germans

And the Germans hate the Poles

Italians hate Yugoslavs

South Africans hate the Dutch

And I don't like anybody very much

But you can be certain

That some lovely day

Someone will set the spark off

And we will all be blown away

• Like 2

No one is saying don't come or it's "most dangerous" or anything of the sort - although I would stay out of Pattaya and personally - Phuket.

In twenty years of traveling Asia I have never stepped foot in Phuket. Missed Pi-Pi decades ago and post-tsunami. I've missed the Similans and a few other islands. But I have no interest in paying those stupid prices. Identical experiences can be had in other provs at half the price and 20% of the stupid tourists.

Just go anywhere you want to.

Why be scared, it could happen anywhere including your own country?

America - school killings

Norway - bombs shootings

just examples.

and so Chevron moved all their offices from Sonkla to just outside Hua Hin just because. It didn't have anything toi do with the violence in the south? I happen to know better.

Thailand is a great place to come.

1. Doi Sutep Temple--Chang Mai

2. Night Bazaar--Chang Mai

3. Best golf in this half of the world--anywhere you choose to go.

4. Bridge over the River Kwai--Kanchataburi

5. Beautiful gardens and water parks--in the Chonburi area

6. Islands, Koh Chang, Ko samui, Koh Samet just to name a few.

7. Great fresh water fishing--south of Hua Hin--Google it

8. Auyuttaya, the old city. Internation touist attraction--North of Bangkok

Not to mention this is a beautiful country with hundreds of full service resorts for half the price of Europe. And anytime after Sonkran, now until the 19th you will miss it in all areas, it's off season prices..

Somebody will find something wrong with all the places I have mentioned. But that is just the class of people from other countries. 89% drunks and 10% working here and 1% of us that have been here and are staying here and will die here.

Did you read the post about the bars closing for 3 days in respect of the death of the Royal Princess? You would think a nuclear blast went off the way people were talking. 3 whole days, no booze in a bar, what a tragedy.

• Like 1

No one is saying don't come or it's "most dangerous" or anything of the sort - although I would stay out of Pattaya and personally - Phuket.

In twenty years of traveling Asia I have never stepped foot in Phuket. Missed Pi-Pi decades ago and post-tsunami. I've missed the Similans and a few other islands. But I have no interest in paying those stupid prices. Identical experiences can be had in other provs at half the price and 20% of the stupid tourists.

The Similans are rated one of the top 3 dives in the world. Try diving the Red Sea for what is costs there. By the way, the Red Sea is rated the ultimate best dive in the world. I have been to both. Cost wise the Similans are much better.

I have lived in the Pattaya area, 23 kilos north, and only shope there. Downtown at night is unique. Remember the person telling you not to go has never been. Where does he get his info, in a bar?

Often, riding the Paris metro, I get a leetle beet scared when a woman in a burka comes on board.

Strange, on this thread, I have not read too many positive recommendations of places to actually visit if you are a short-term tourist.

Most towns in Thailand seem, to me, more or less the same. A main street, masses of low-level electricity wires, plenty of 7-11s, lots of street vendors, lots of vehicle pollution and with no "centre". Where is the "centre" in Chiang Mai? Loi Kroh? Thapae Gate? or Khad Suan Kaew shopping mall?

One little town with a "centre" is Roi Et, with its artificial lake and quite nice walking/jogging area, with lots of trees and lots of Thai people (for once) walking and taking exercise.

But architecturally, unlike European towns and citiies with their plazas or places or piazzas, Thai towns tend to be as architecturally null as most North American towns and cities. Even a beautiful city like Vancouver has no "centre", only major shopping streets.

(Sorry, Dr Doom, only now read your interesting list of places to visit -though the CM Night Bazaar is pushing it a bit.)

Edited by blazes

Yeah pretty silly post. I agree, probably just a troll.

I've lived in Phuket 11 years now. Been to Chang Mai, Kanchanaburi, Issan, HatYai, Samui, Pattaya, Krabi, Phi Phi, Bangkok and all points in between. As pointed out, the biggest danger in Thailand is the roads. Stay off motorbikes unless you are experienced and are on the same page as the Thai road users. Very little chance any of this other stuff is going to effect you.

The only thing mentioned that perhaps has some validity is the Muslim insurgents in the deep south. Foreign governments routinely post travel warnings for this area although I have driven through the south on my bike numerous times, spent some time in HatYai and never had a problem and never felt concerned. It didn't seem any different than any of the other parts of Thailand.

OP forgot to mention that nowhere is safe to visit in Thailand during Songkran. The Brits are concerned water will damage your passport!

name='UK Foriegn and Commonwealth Office']This advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Travel Summary (demonstrations in Bangkok on 10 April, mourning and funeral for Princess Bejaratana 8-12 April and road traffic accidents and passport damage risks associated with Songkran (Thai new year) 13-15 April) and related updates to the main text.

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport. During the Songkran Festival (Thai New Year) 13-15 April 2012 throwing water on the streets is a tradition - keep your passport, mobile phone and other valuables safe by placing them in a sealed plastic bag.

Good advice actually.

The Similans are rated one of the top 3 dives in the world. Try diving the Red Sea for what is costs there. By the way, the Red Sea is rated the ultimate best dive in the world. I have been to both. Cost wise the Similans are much better.

I have lived in the Pattaya area, 23 kilos north, and only shope there. Downtown at night is unique. Remember the person telling you not to go has never been. Where does he get his info, in a bar?

Yeah I have to chuckle when I hear people say "I would never go to Phuket." when they have never been. It's a huge island with many different areas. Best beaches in Thailand IMO, fantastic diving, perfect clean air (most the time) lots of modern amenities if that's what you like. Or if that's not your thing, live up north. Nai harn and Bang Tao are more like Phuket 25 years ago. It's not perfect by any means, Too many billboards, yes. You'll need to avoid the tuk tuk mafia jet ski's scams which is easy enough. It's still a great place to live and visit.

"The Brits are concerned water will damage your passport!" I must add "AND DILUTE YOUR BEER".

Yeah pretty silly post. I agree, probably just a troll.

I've lived in Phuket 11 years now. Been to Chang Mai, Kanchanaburi, Issan, HatYai, Samui, Pattaya, Krabi, Phi Phi, Bangkok and all points in between. As pointed out, the biggest danger in Thailand is the roads. Stay off motorbikes unless you are experienced and are on the same page as the Thai road users. Very little chance any of this other stuff is going to effect you.

The only thing mentioned that perhaps has some validity is the Muslim insurgents in the deep south. Foreign governments routinely post travel warnings for this area although I have driven through the south on my bike numerous times, spent some time in HatYai and never had a problem and never felt concerned. It didn't seem any different than any of the other parts of Thailand.

OP forgot to mention that nowhere is safe to visit in Thailand during Songkran. The Brits are concerned water will damage your passport!

name='UK Foriegn and Commonwealth Office']This advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Travel Summary (demonstrations in Bangkok on 10 April, mourning and funeral for Princess Bejaratana 8-12 April and road traffic accidents and passport damage risks associated with Songkran (Thai new year) 13-15 April) and related updates to the main text.

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport. During the Songkran Festival (Thai New Year) 13-15 April 2012 throwing water on the streets is a tradition - keep your passport, mobile phone and other valuables safe by placing them in a sealed plastic bag.

Good advice actually.

You get a totally distorted picture from the media, including these discussion threads.

There isn't a single place I wouldn't visit out of fear, especially since I am aware of the possible risk elements and know how to reduce the chances they may affect me. For example, in Phuket I'd make sure ot have my own transportation and not rent any jet ski's. In the south I wouldn't spout anti-muslim nonsense while wearing an American flag.

In Khaosan Road or at the full moon party I wouldn't buy drugs from random strangers, and in Pattaya I wouldn't accept underage girls from a policeman.

Best thing of all, not from fear but for positive reasons - get upcountry away from any other tourists and get to know some poor upcountry folk. Salt of the earth.

Sorry but Phuket cannot have the best beaches in Thailand when they are riddled with fat tourists, jet skis, umbrellas, hawkers, petrol in the water, trash on the beaches and longtails + jetskis and jetski mafia...(NOISE) everywhere - oh and and simply LOADS of people. Then you have the "Phuket" factor...it's twice as expensive.

Then you have the Phuket mafia NPs: You cannot bring your own tent into the Similians or any other NP in Phuket. Boats to Similans are double the price as same distance or less anywhere else in the Andaman.

I camp the best spots in the Andaman and I am quite happy with that. If Phuket works for you and you are that type - I am happy you are there and not screwing up my islands. Enjoy your AC, toilet paper, masss-aggh and cold drinks. I'll take a tent any day.

Finally, I highly disagree - even the most beautiful beach in the world with all that crap I mentioned above becomes the crappiest beach VERY quickly.

OH, I guess I have technically been to Phuket, I have the record for camping on TaChai with my gf. Ten consecutive days. No one can touch this because camping is now off limits on the island. Only day tripper hell. Like I said with all that crap on the beach it cannot be most beautiful - cannot.

Edited by bangkokburning

PS: DRDOOM

Similans is finished with the coral die off although this year MIGHT have seen some sort of stabilizing affect. I have noticed in other NPs coral at least keeping even keel. If Similans is still #3 than teh world's reefs are in a huge hurt.

I totally disagree as to your list - would not bother with any of it. Even fishing in Prachuap. Thailand 101. All this stuff was finished 20 years ago. Chaing MAi and Samui especially.